Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Nov 17

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Trek: Nov 17

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-09, 08:44 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Nov 17

Funny thing is...I never even knew it was him till you guys mentioned it. Ryder kinda took me out of the film. it's a weird role to just give to her.
Old 11-18-09, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
How did Romulans get ahold of Borg technology? The Borg barely even tolerate the Federation.
Spock-prime comes from the post-Nemesis era, so its probably not out of the question that the Romulans could have salvaged some Borg ships and reverse-engineered them.

Unless I'm mistaken, the Borg were making incursions on the Romulan Neutral Zone as far back as season one/two of TNG, so it's probably safe to assume that they've had more conflicts since then.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 11-18-09 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-18-09, 09:06 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did Romulans get ahold of Borg technology? The Borg barely even tolerate the Federation.

Also, I think the Nerada is the worst-designed ship in the history of Trek. What possible reason would there be to design a ship like that?
Its a mining ship, those spikes are probes--it probes meteors and space rocks and/or drills into them. The big laser drill is for planetoids with an atmosphere or are too big for the spikes to probe.
Old 11-18-09, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regarding the red matter...if one tiny drop is enough to destroy a planet why was Spock Prime luggin' around a big huge ball of it?
Old 11-18-09, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

biteing my tounge and not going to respond the way this post deserves.

Sorry if my spelling of a single word is wrong, while typing that post on my phone.

seriously man you know what i was saying.
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
what's a sequal?
Old 11-18-09, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The ship simulator explains that the way we see the Nerada is not how it looked when it was first launched, talks about how after romulus exploded the romulans used borg nano technology not to mention adding on huge sections onto the hull of ship to make it more fearsome and also make it better equiped to help protect the reminants of the romulan star empire.

As for how they got hold of borg technology, there could be any number of ways, i dont think it implies that the borg willing gave the romulans technology.

Also, I think the Nerada is the worst-designed ship in the history of Trek. What possible reason would there be to design a ship like that?
Old 11-18-09, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Janeway seemed to have dealt a serious, possibly crippling blow to the Borg in "Endgame". The Tal Shiar could have gotten intelligence data on Future Janeway's technology and used that to defeat Borg ships in their space and obtain their technology.
Old 11-19-09, 12:23 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy Jones Fan
Regarding the red matter...if one tiny drop is enough to destroy a planet why was Spock Prime luggin' around a big huge ball of it?
What Spock didn't mention is that when he finished taking out the supernova star, he was supposed to set up 18 more black holes around the galaxy to become the foundation of a new interstellar golf course.
Old 11-19-09, 06:45 AM

Old 11-19-09, 09:18 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

The logical answer is that because this was an experimental technology, they didnt know how much red matter he needed, so he took a bunch of it.
Old 11-19-09, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Watched this the other night. Fantastic PQ, but did anyone else feel like the audio was lacking a little bit? My standard viewing volume is 55 on my receiver and I had to crank this up to 60 to get any real juice out of it. I had expected to be blown away a la TF2 or G.I. Joe, but this track seemed a little... I don't know, muted, or something.
Old 11-19-09, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Ryder kinda took me out of the film. it's a weird role to just give to her.
Agreed...especially considering they had to put fakey-looking old age makeup on her....why not just cast an older actress??
Old 11-19-09, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
The logical answer is that because this was an experimental technology, they didnt know how much red matter he needed, so he took a bunch of it.
Ah, but Spock Prime himself only extracted one drop of the red matter and I find it highly illogical that Spock, of all people, wouldn't have the precise calculations already planned out ahead of time. Not a big deal at all. I'm just playfully nitpicking.
Old 11-19-09, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

while its not cannon to the films it is intresting to note that the Shatnerverse featured the Romulans stealing capt kirks body and the borg reanimate him bringing him back to life. in the book series that shatner wrote the borg and the romulans had formed a sort of aliance to eradicate the federation.

again those books are not cannon. I just find it intresting that The bluray starship simulator makes several references to the ship featureing borg technology, and that SHATNERS book line had an aliance between the romulans and the borg. one of those cool little things kind of makes you wonder if it was done as little tip of the hat to fans of that book line.

Old 11-19-09, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by WMAangel
Agreed...especially considering they had to put fakey-looking old age makeup on her....why not just cast an older actress??
Wasn't the reason for the aged makeup because she appeared in scenes with Spock both when he was a child and when he was an adult? If not for that, for some reason I see Judi Dench as an actress who could have fit as Spock's mother (maybe it's because of her role in Chronicles of Riddick).

IMO, Tyler Perry's appearance took me out of the film more than Ryder's did.
Old 11-19-09, 03:56 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy Jones Fan
Ah, but Spock Prime himself only extracted one drop of the red matter and I find it highly illogical that Spock, of all people, wouldn't have the precise calculations already planned out ahead of time. Not a big deal at all. I'm just playfully nitpicking.
Read the graphics novel (official "canon" prequel) Star Trek Countdown- it explains all.
Old 11-19-09, 04:31 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
while its not cannon to the films it is intresting to note that the Shatnerverse featured the Romulans stealing capt kirks body and the borg reanimate him bringing him back to life. in the book series that shatner wrote the borg and the romulans had formed a sort of aliance to eradicate the federation.

again those books are not cannon. I just find it intresting that The bluray starship simulator makes several references to the ship featureing borg technology, and that SHATNERS book line had an aliance between the romulans and the borg. one of those cool little things kind of makes you wonder if it was done as little tip of the hat to fans of that book line.
Still doesn't make the design of the ship any better. It was so awkward to see Nero run towards Kirk when he finds him on his ship. There's no reason why basic bipedal creatures would ever design the interior of their ship the way that the Nerada is designed. Perhaps winged creatures would.

I know this is ultra nerdy of me to think about, but it does bug me that the film's designers came up with a ship that looks completely amorphous and non-functional just so it could look more "threatening."

Edit: Even granting that almost any ship in Star Trek is not what you would design for efficient space flight (except the Borg cubes).
Old 11-19-09, 05:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Yavin
Wasn't the reason for the aged makeup because she appeared in scenes with Spock both when he was a child and when he was an adult? If not for that, for some reason I see Judi Dench as an actress who could have fit as Spock's mother (maybe it's because of her role in Chronicles of Riddick).

IMO, Tyler Perry's appearance took me out of the film more than Ryder's did.
See..that's a yes and a no. Perry didn't bother me, his role was much smaller. Ryder has those eyes that just give away she's still a younger gal. Again..this may be cuz of Ryder's acting which was ok..not like she had to try hard for it or anything. Now that I think of it...maybe it is her acting. Anytime you age an actor...that actor (I'm mostly refrencing and using De Niro's great role in Once Upon a Time in America as an example) they..just feel older. Ryder didn't. She just felt like a normal Ryder turned old.
Old 11-19-09, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Read the graphics novel (official "canon" prequel) Star Trek Countdown- it explains all.
You shouldn't have to read a comic book for the movie to make sense.
Old 11-19-09, 05:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jason
You shouldn't have to read a comic book for the movie to make sense.
That's what I've been arguing. In fact...that kind of thing shouldn't be canon. ST was a TV show...when it came to film it was a known continuation of the show. It's not like the ST cartoons are canon right?
Old 11-19-09, 05:39 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Still doesn't make the design of the ship any better. It was so awkward to see Nero run towards Kirk when he finds him on his ship. There's no reason why basic bipedal creatures would ever design the interior of their ship the way that the Nerada is designed. Perhaps winged creatures would.

I know this is ultra nerdy of me to think about, but it does bug me that the film's designers came up with a ship that looks completely amorphous and non-functional just so it could look more "threatening."
The ship was a mining vessel, it had a huge bay to take in pieces of rock to strip ore from. Large rock is brought into the bay, and flying drones and platforms hover around it to drill into it. Plus the Nerada could have had a much larger crew, but only the rebellious ones who Nero wanted were kept.
Old 11-19-09, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

It's not like the ST cartoons are canon right?
They were de-canonized per Richard Arnold, an assistant to Roddenberry sometime in the 80's, but the exact reason for that move is unknown. Roddenberry was very much involved in it's creation, it features the voices of six of the main seven characters (with Walter Koenig contributing with a script), and had many of the same writers as the live-action series. In fact, if you watch the opening credits, it just says "Star Trek". It was considered a continuation of the original show. Some of the elements are a little fantastical, (BEM, the reverse-aging universe), but there's so many other elements that both fandom and TPTB have more or less adopted them (the childhood of Spock from Yesteryear, and Commodore Robert April from the reverse-aging universe ep).

I consider it canon. It's problems are no worse than any other series, and some of the stories are just darned good stories (ep Yesteryear).

As for any other media's canon status? Officially, only the live action series and movies are considered canon, but Enterprise, TNG, VOY and DS9 have all had what are termed as "relaunches", where the editors and authors are making sure they're all playing in the same universe and they're not pushing the reset button at the end of each book. Canon or otherwise, these stories are mostly considered "official" by the fans since there's pretty much no more stories coming from any of those franchises.
Old 11-19-09, 08:30 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
The ship was a mining vessel, it had a huge bay to take in pieces of rock to strip ore from. Large rock is brought into the bay, and flying drones and platforms hover around it to drill into it. Plus the Nerada could have had a much larger crew, but only the rebellious ones who Nero wanted were kept.
Then you would have the open spaces, but you wouldn't have people working in them unless you were actively mining.
Old 11-19-09, 09:52 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

That's what I've been arguing. In fact...that kind of thing shouldn't be canon. ST was a TV show...when it came to film it was a known continuation of the show. It's not like the ST cartoons are canon right?
So don't read the book, it won't kill you. There has been a long history of ST books being "canon" and filling in the blanks, this is one of them (and a very good one).

Here's another ST comic freebie that was in Wired magazine a few months back when JJ Abrams was guest editor. It's also pretty good (and short).

Last edited by Eric F; 11-19-09 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-19-09, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ST books are never canon. Not even sure how they could be. So many of them contradict each other and just have tons of made up shit.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.