Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Nov 17

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Trek: Nov 17

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-09, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Nov 17

Originally Posted by slop101
After seeing it, I passed on the Target exclusive - it looked sorta cheap in person and at best it would just be a dust magnet, or at worst, a vagina repellent.
Looks like you're hanging around with the wrong chicks, man...
My wife likes Star Trek...she actually bought me a couple ships I wanted once as a birthday present....
Old 11-17-09, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Chew
Something to freezeframe when you get your copy:

R2D2 floating in Trek space and it's been confirmed by ILM.

Awesome.
R2 appears @ 00:47:39 in the movie.
Old 11-17-09, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 434 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by WMAangel
My wife likes Star Trek...she actually bought me a couple ships I wanted once as a birthday present....
Yeah, me, too. I actually went and saw it in theathers with the wife and she loved it.
Old 11-17-09, 12:17 PM

Can anyone comment on the size/quality of the pins that come with the Best Buy exclusive packaging? Are they metal pins?
Old 11-17-09, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Commander Dan
Can anyone comment on the size/quality of the pins that come with the Best Buy exclusive packaging? Are they metal pins?
All in plastic.

Its a very poor design. I'm very disappointed they put the Blu-Rays in there. I'm thinking of returning this, and getting the normal case. I really did want the Enterprise, I was gonna put it on my desk at work. No way I'm doing that now, so there is no use in having this packages. Ill be returning later in the day.

If they would have given me the regular packages also, I would have kept it!

I'm 99% sure these are the same idiots who did the Battlestar Galactica case. When will they learn!
Old 11-17-09, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by JetSter735180
All in plastic.

Its a very poor design. I'm very disappointed they put the Blu-Rays in there. I'm thinking of returning this, and getting the normal case. I really did want the Enterprise, I was gonna put it on my desk at work. No way I'm doing that now, so there is no use in having this packages. Ill be returning later in the day.

I'm 99% sure these are the same idiots who did the Battlestar Galactica case. When will they learn!

I’m confused. I am asking about the insignia pins that come with the Best Buy packaging, yet it sounds like you are talking about the Target Exclusive Enterprise packaging...?
Old 11-17-09, 12:59 PM

I’m confused. I am asking about the insignia pins that come with the Best Buy packaging, yet it sounds like you are talking about the Target Exclusive Enterprise packaging...?
Up here in Canada Best Buy had the Enterprise packaging...we don't have any Targets. I'm assuming he saw "Best Buy" in your post and automatically thought of the Enterprise packaging.
Old 11-17-09, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by JetSter735180
All in plastic.

I can see the discs becoming hard to access after you assemble the Enterprise and putting it on the stand. I'm not going to assemble the ship - just going to leave the saucer of the ship as a disc case. If I assemble the ship, I'll just put the discs in protective sleeves and store them in the box.
Old 11-17-09, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
After seeing it, I passed on the Target exclusive - it looked sorta cheap in person and at best it would just be a dust magnet, or at worst, a vagina repellent.
Originally Posted by WMAangel
Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Yeah, me, too. I actually went and saw it in theathers with the wife and she loved it.
Old Star Trek = repellent
New Star Trek = that guy that played Kirk is good looking
Old 11-17-09, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by JoeP
Up here in Canada Best Buy had the Enterprise packaging...we don't have any Targets. I'm assuming he saw "Best Buy" in your post and automatically thought of the Enterprise packaging.
Ya, sorry didn't realize both Best Buys had different items.
Old 11-17-09, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Admission time: I was in Best Buy to get something else for my dad and I saw the Trek display and ended up buying the single disc DVD for only 14.99 (plus I had a $5 RZ cert.) I guess I was really disappointed that there wasn't a Blu+DVD combo pack, and I don't even have a player yet (prob for Christmas). I'll probably end up picking up the Blu set used when the casual fans realize they accidentally bought a science fiction film and trade it in for the latest explosion fest movie at the used shops.
Old 11-17-09, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 215 Posts

This time around I'm pretty positive the casual fans will like the movie.
Old 11-17-09, 04:19 PM

Haven't opened my set yet. Box says:
- screen accurate, based on actual props
- cast in solid metal with lapel pins on the back, so badges can be worn.
- each division: engineering, science, medical and command

They look good to me. The pin backs look like normal pins with a circular backer (not like a safety pin or anything).
Old 11-17-09, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was able to grab the last Enterprise replica at Target, but once I had it in my hands it just looked like another thing I have no space/use/need for. I saved myself $5 and just got the good ol' standard BD.
Old 11-17-09, 04:44 PM

I bought the regular blu of Star Trek at BB and price matched Wal-Mart (and used a RZ certificate). They also gave me a free cheap looking Star Trek pin which has the command insignia and 11-17-09 on it.
Old 11-17-09, 04:55 PM

I didn't check BB website first. I guess that's why the cashier didn't check with anyone and immediately price matched Wal-Mart's $19.96.
Old 11-17-09, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just picked up Star Trek from Fry's for 19.99 + tax.

Christmas present to myself.
Old 11-17-09, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

What the hell is with wrapping even the slipcases now? I picked up the Target exclusive but I want the slipcover version also.
Old 11-17-09, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I went to Wal-Mart last night around 12:30am and they had at least 100 BDs and even more DVDs. I got there and realized I didn't have enough money with me, so I had to wait until this afternoon. I went back to the same Wal-Mart and they had 1 BD (which I quickly bought) and still a ton of DVDs. I can't believe in just a little over 12 hours all the BDs were gone!
Old 11-17-09, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So there's nothing wrong with the release? I can buy it and it won't have some funky audio problems or misframing or some such nonsense?
Old 11-17-09, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
What the hell is with wrapping even the slipcases now? I picked up the Target exclusive but I want the slipcover version also.
In this specific instance, the whole thing (slipcover and all) is shrinkwrapped because of the inclusion of the "back cover sheet" that is merely stuck onto the back of the slipcover....this back cover sheet is on there for the UPC, movie credits, disc specs, etc. as the actual slipcover does not have any of those things....
Old 11-17-09, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why not? What is on the back of the slipcover? Seems odd that they included an insert instead of the normal slipcase.
Old 11-17-09, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Why not? What is on the back of the slipcover? Seems odd that they included an insert instead of the normal slipcase.
The back of the slipcover actually looks identical to the front of the slipcover...it just says STAR TREK, but instead of seeing Kirk's face in the letters, you see Spock's face instead....

The actual BD plastic case artwork itself is only a picture of Kirk on the front and Spock on the back....the idea they were obviously going for in the design of this was that the slipcover was supposed to be, like, "see-through", but it was probably too expensive or time consuming to actually have the words STAR TREK die-cut out of the slipcovers....maybe if they had gone with plastic see-through slipcovers, like what they used for the original BD release of Transformers, then it would have looked better and made more sense....instead, they probably just went for the cheaper option with the cardboard and "faked" the see-through look with the printed graphics....
Old 11-17-09, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, thanks for the explanation. I'll eventually pick it up.
Old 11-17-09, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Shazam
So there's nothing wrong with the release? I can buy it and it won't have some funky audio problems or misframing or some such nonsense?
Well, there are some moments where the picture is out of focus. Seems to be with close-ups of faces. One specific scene is where
Spoiler:
Spock is speaking with Spock Prime at the end of the movie. Close-up of Spock Prime is out of focus.
There are other times it happens too. I tried it on 2 different players with 2 different displays and it's there. The DVD Talk review mentions it too and says it's intentional but why??

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.