Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

General Blu-ray News and Discussion - Part 6

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

General Blu-ray News and Discussion - Part 6

Old 04-02-08, 03:07 PM
  #501  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 21,618
Split off the Penton Man speculation thread:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=528708
Adam Tyner is online now  
Old 04-02-08, 05:40 PM
  #502  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 6,609
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Split off the Penton Man speculation thread:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=528708
was it intentional to include the discussion of the Batman (1966) cover in that split-off thread? that is a confirmed release.

just curious.
kefrank is offline  
Old 04-02-08, 10:06 PM
  #503  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 21,618
Originally Posted by kefrank
was it intentional to include the discussion of the Batman (1966) cover in that split-off thread? that is a confirmed release.
The post covered both threads, so it was kind of a 50/50 shot.
Adam Tyner is online now  
Old 04-03-08, 01:31 AM
  #504  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Ok, I can now confirm the pop (actually about 2 or 3) between the 8:30 - 8:33....right before we see Bruce's son. It appears only to be coming from the back RIGHT speaker. Its very, very annoying This is through PCM. Another " center speaker @ 1:28:21" according to another AVS...

Now for DD+..... Not there. So it looks like only the PCM track has the popping sounds.
Yeah, I can confirm this as well. Also, the transfer looks really poor. Was the movie this soft in the theaters?
Supermallet is offline  
Old 04-03-08, 07:57 AM
  #505  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mr. Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 18,044
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Yeah, I can confirm this as well. Also, the transfer looks really poor. Was the movie this soft in the theaters?
The PCM issue was one reason for me to pass, but if the transfer is bad, looks like I'll definitely be keeping my old 2-disc dvd.
Mr. Cinema is offline  
Old 04-03-08, 08:00 AM
  #506  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,832
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Was the movie this soft in the theaters?
from what I remember, yeah.
JayDerek is offline  
Old 04-03-08, 08:32 AM
  #507  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Fort Fun, Colorado
Posts: 645
Nice to see Band of Brothers coming this year. It will be interesting to see what the announced MSRP is.
bretski is offline  
Old 04-03-08, 09:16 AM
  #508  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
tonymontana313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,746
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Yeah, I can confirm this as well. Also, the transfer looks really poor. Was the movie this soft in the theaters?
WTF? This is a double whammy for me and very disappointing since Unbreakable is my favorite M. Night movie. It's coming in the mail from Amazon today and I'm still undecided if I should refuse delivery or not.
tonymontana313 is offline  
Old 04-03-08, 09:41 AM
  #509  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Drexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 15,999
Since I don't think it's gotten re-released on DVD, it's possible that they haven't remastered it, and it's just showing its age (the transfer, that is).
Drexl is offline  
Old 04-03-08, 09:58 AM
  #510  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,499
Posted on blu-ray.com about the 2.0 profile. Seems craptastic and useless to me.

Initial Impressions: BD-Live on Walk Hard
Posted April 2, 2008 05:46 PM by Josh

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment was kind enough to send us a screener copy of the upcoming Blu-ray release of 'Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story', due to hit store shelves on April 8th, day-and-date with the DVD release. After updating my PlayStation 3 to be BD-Live (Profile v2.0) compatible, I threw in the disc to check out how the idea of BD-Live has translated to an actual experience.

After the disc loaded, I was taken to the main menu. From there, I selected "Special Features" and then "BD-Live". The first time you access the BD-Live screen, it will take a minute or so to load, but every time after that is only seconds.

The BD-Live menu is exactly as what was seen on this site only a few days ago. Immediately, I went to download one of the Blu-ray exclusive clips of Derek Stone as a "Coxologist". Clicking on "Download Now", I was again presented with a download bar, and I waited patiently for the clip to load. After what must have been a five minute wait, I was presented with a two minute clip in standard definition. Not exactly the speed I am accustom to for such a low quality video clip.

Keep in mind, I have a fairly fast fiber optic Internet connection, so download speeds have never been an issue. A similar clip, which admittedly is streamed instead of downloaded, might take only a few seconds before playing on YouTube, which begs the question, why make a viewer download a clip if streaming would be considerably faster? So, that's exactly what I did. Opening up the Internet Browser on my PS3, I googled "Dewey Cox" and watched the nearly four minute trailer on YouTube only seconds after loading the page.

The answer is that the files you download remain on your machine even after it it turned off. So, for those viewers who don't have a permanent Internet connection to your PS3 (or will not have a permanent Internet connection to your future BD-Live Blu-ray player), this means you can download the extra content and view it at a later date even if you are no longer connected to the Internet. It must have been a difficult decision for Sony, on whether to stream the clips or download them, but being that they decided on downloading, one would have hoped that they would have used faster servers to distribute the content.

Like any Blu-ray fan, standard definition just doesn't cut it for me anymore, so I went to download a high definition trailer of the upcoming 'Men in Black' Blu-ray disc release (Yes, I know when it is coming. No, I can't legally tell you when yet.). This time, it took about 20 minutes to download a 2.5 minute clip averaging about 8Mbps and having a 2-channel Dolby Digital soundtrack. Not exactly Blu-ray quality, but HD none-the-less.

You can definitely see the potential BD-Live features have, but as of right now, they are not quick enough for the average viewer to wait around for. If you plan on picking up this release next week, and have a PS3, definitely check it out, just make sure you have a few minutes to spare.
ianholm is offline  
Old 04-03-08, 12:05 PM
  #511  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 371
Yeah, looks a little painful.

(OT alert)......and probably another reason why downloading HD movies isn't going to be practical for quite a while. So there should be plenty of time for BR to catch on.
Bob330i is offline  
Old 04-03-08, 05:34 PM
  #512  
DVD Talk Legend
 
darkside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 19,847
Originally Posted by ianholm
Posted on blu-ray.com about the 2.0 profile. Seems craptastic and useless to me.
Seems identical to HD DVD which was just as craptastic and useless.
darkside is offline  
Old 04-03-08, 05:36 PM
  #513  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,383
Originally Posted by Bob330i
Yeah, looks a little painful.

(OT alert)......and probably another reason why downloading HD movies isn't going to be practical for quite a while. So there should be plenty of time for BR to catch on.
In the review, he said that his connection speed was fast, and that he felt it was the studio's servers that were the slow link.

And you're right. I can't watch HD movies on demand right now. Oops. I made a mistake. I was typing while watching Cars on Starz HD. Looks wonderful, and started faster than it would take for me to load a disc.

Brush it off all you like, but BD needs to move its ass if it wants to get ahead of VOD. And by move its ass, I mean lower prices NOW. They have a very short window to get adoption rates up if they want to be more than a pure enthusiast format (which, again, is not necessarily a bad thing).
Qui Gon Jim is offline  
Old 04-03-08, 05:42 PM
  #514  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Posts: 15,572
Can we please not derail this thread with VOD again?

Didn't VOD get split off to a separate thread a while back?
bunkaroo is offline  
Old 04-03-08, 05:57 PM
  #515  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,383
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Can we please not derail this thread with VOD again?

Didn't VOD get split off to a separate thread a while back?
My apologies if this discussion is considered off-topic. I think the futures of BD and VOD etc are interweaved.
Qui Gon Jim is offline  
Old 04-03-08, 06:08 PM
  #516  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,366
Originally Posted by darkside
Seems identical to HD DVD which was just as craptastic and useless.
Which is why BD should just focus on giving us regular Extras in HD and forget all this BD live bullshit.
candyrocket786 is offline  
Old 04-03-08, 07:15 PM
  #517  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 6,609
Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Which is why BD should just focus on giving us regular Extras in HD and forget all this BD live bullshit.
i respectfully disagree. i think they should focus on giving us the best possible extras including innovative BD-Live features, unlike those on Walk Hard. just because the initial offering is lame, doesn't mean there's not potential for very cool things with BD-Live down the road.
kefrank is offline  
Old 04-03-08, 08:15 PM
  #518  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 30,404
Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Which is why BD should just focus on giving us regular Extras in HD and forget all this BD live bullshit.
Considering those Walk Hard bonus features could have easily fit on the 50GB with no issues....I agree. We get a few minutes of SD content and thats it? I should have my copy soon so I'll be testing it out.
Gizmo is offline  
Old 04-03-08, 08:51 PM
  #519  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,383
Originally Posted by kefrank
i respectfully disagree. i think they should focus on giving us the best possible extras including innovative BD-Live features, unlike those on Walk Hard. just because the initial offering is lame, doesn't mean there's not potential for very cool things with BD-Live down the road.
I agree here. Let's not throw out the baby with the bath water. In a perfect world, we'd have all the extras we're used to getting now, along with something new and innovative. It is undeniable that there is some great potential.
Qui Gon Jim is offline  
Old 04-03-08, 10:59 PM
  #520  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Posts: 15,572
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
My apologies if this discussion is considered off-topic. I think the futures of BD and VOD etc are interweaved.
While your opinion is as valid as anyone's, VOD always derails these threads, because we inevitably wind up with the "Blu-Ray has no chance because VOD is coming to kick its ass" stuff.

Here's the thread Adam split off from the 5th discussion thread:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=523784
bunkaroo is offline  
Old 04-03-08, 11:40 PM
  #521  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
My apologies if this discussion is considered off-topic. I think the futures of BD and VOD etc are interweaved.
You may feel that way, but we want to keep the VOD discussion out of this thread. Thank you.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 04-04-08, 09:09 AM
  #522  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mr. Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 18,044
Hollywood Reporter

Lionsgate Entertainment will benefit greatly from Blu-ray's victory in the DVD format war, so shareholders will naturally be rewarded.

SMH Capital analyst David Miller said this week that Lionsgate clears $15 per Blu-ray unit in clear margin for library titles and a whopping $21 for new titles like "War."

And, the kicker is, he estimates Lionsgate sold an additional 1.3 million units of Blu-ray library product relative to his projections just a few weeks ago as the demise of HD DVD has sparked sales for Blu-ray.

As a result, Miller boosted his fiscal fourth-quarter revenue projection from $400.1 million to $419.1 million and his earnings-per-share estimate from 44 cents to 46 cents.

Besides "War," Miller says that Lionsgate has seen improved Blu-ray sales of "Total Recall, "Terminator," the "Saw" series and the "Rambo" box set.

As per usual, Miller noted in his most recent note that, with 5,600 titles, Lionsgate has the "unappreciated distinction of having the largest film library" compared with all major studios.
Mr. Cinema is offline  
Old 04-04-08, 09:21 AM
  #523  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,055
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Hollywood Reporter

Lionsgate Entertainment will benefit greatly from Blu-ray's victory in the DVD format war, so shareholders will naturally be rewarded.

SMH Capital analyst David Miller said this week that Lionsgate clears $15 per Blu-ray unit in clear margin for library titles and a whopping $21 for new titles like "War."

And, the kicker is, he estimates Lionsgate sold an additional 1.3 million units of Blu-ray library product relative to his projections just a few weeks ago as the demise of HD DVD has sparked sales for Blu-ray.

As a result, Miller boosted his fiscal fourth-quarter revenue projection from $400.1 million to $419.1 million and his earnings-per-share estimate from 44 cents to 46 cents.

Besides "War," Miller says that Lionsgate has seen improved Blu-ray sales of "Total Recall, "Terminator," the "Saw" series and the "Rambo" box set.

As per usual, Miller noted in his most recent note that, with 5,600 titles, Lionsgate has the "unappreciated distinction of having the largest film library" compared with all major studios.

. . . and this is just the beginning. They'll be raking it in hand over fist once they start double-dipping!
applesandrice is offline  
Old 04-04-08, 09:38 AM
  #524  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mr. Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 18,044
Originally Posted by applesandrice
. . . and this is just the beginning. They'll be raking it in hand over fist once they start double-dipping!
I'm not a big fan of double dipping, but I would gladly welcome them on some of LionsGate's early releases. Terminator 2 and Crash specifically. Both are featureless and only have standard DTS audio. T2 was one of the titles whose price dropped to $19.99, so a double dip on that won't be surprising. They may wait and release it to tie in with the new film, which I believe will arrive in '09.
Mr. Cinema is offline  
Old 04-04-08, 09:54 AM
  #525  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,055
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I'm not a big fan of double dipping, but I would gladly welcome them on some of LionsGate's early releases. Terminator 2 and Crash specifically. Both are featureless and only have standard DTS audio. T2 was one of the titles whose price dropped to $19.99, so a double dip on that won't be surprising. They may wait and release it to tie in with the new film, which I believe will arrive in '09.

I'm with you. In fact I've pretty much resolved not to upgrade the vast majority of my DVD collection. A new special edition of T2 would be an exception for me, however, as I'm still limited to the old "Ultimate Edition" or whatever it was called. That's one with enough replay value to warrant an upgrade, though.

Pretty impressive how much they're pulling down per disc, though. Especially in light of all the BOGO sales we've seen in the past.
applesandrice is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.