Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

General Blu-ray News and Discussion - Part 6

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

General Blu-ray News and Discussion - Part 6

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-08, 01:34 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by jiggawhat
A few months of data isn't going to move those numbers even if they have been a lot higher lately.
Considering HD DVD is dead and Lionsgate is saying how wonderful their titles are selling the SI's should be higher. Warner's HD DVD 3 week delay titles have been selling like crap, so its pretty much 5 Studios vs. old release on HD DVD. The SI should have moved, especially if I Am Legend sold 150k, and both No Country and Enchanted sold 30-35k last week. Thats 210k copies between 3 movies, and not counting the other 7 in the Top 10.

I still don't think that SI graph has been updated in a while. It simply does not make sense that the SI has not moved.
Old 04-06-08, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think another reason that SI hasn't moved is due to the lack of high profile titles. With the exception of I am Legend, have we had any other big day and dates? I'm going to laugh if someone brings up Alvin and the Chipmunks, so please don't!
Old 04-06-08, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
I think another reason that SI hasn't moved is due to the lack of high profile titles. With the exception of I am Legend, have we had any other big day and dates? I'm going to laugh if someone brings up Alvin and the Chipmunks, so please don't!

You don't want to laugh?? Geez -- that's grim!
Old 04-06-08, 04:16 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
Seriously? No Country for Old men sold 10-15% of the DVD, remember? That was 68k copies its first week! Then we have Enchanted, Hitman, 30 Days of Night, 2 pretty well known catalog titles (ID4, I, Robot), and then Michael Clayton, August Rush, Dan in Real Life and Alvin and the Chipmunks ($200 mil at the box office is nothing to laugh about, even if the film sucks). Those are some pretty big titles being released exclusively on Blu-ray (and some sleeper titles, still new Day and Dates which we know from history sell much better then high profile catalog releases). They may have not moved tons of titles, but those are still some pretty high profile releases on Blu-ray. Then in the following weeks weeks we have AVP2, Juno, Walk Hard, The Golden Compass.... SI should have moved, which leads me to believe its no longer being updated at all.
Old 04-06-08, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have to agree. I don't expect a movement of 20%, but if, since January, BD has been outselling HD DVD at a 4 to 1 basis (which is totally believable), taking into consideration that inception was about two years, so Jan-March is about 1/8th the total duration (fudging numbers here) than I would expect the SI number to be more like 70/30 or 72/28. Also consider that the number of titles sold now should theoretically be much higher than the number sold the first few months. Today's figure would move the scale more.

I would say that chart is not being updated; it should look better for BD.
Old 04-06-08, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This 150,000 figure being thrown around for I Am Legend....is this 2nd week numbers? If so, what website reported the hard numbers?
Old 04-06-08, 06:33 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
This 150,000 figure being thrown around for I Am Legend....is this 2nd week numbers? If so, what website reported the hard numbers?
1st week numbers. I Am Legends 2nd week numbers will be this Fridays numbers...
Old 04-06-08, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts
A few months of data isn't going to move those numbers even if they have been a lot higher lately.
it all depends on the volume doesn't it? if BDs are selling much higher volume lately, as we've been told, and the percentage vs. HD DVD has been higher than ever, surely the SI numbers should be moving.
Old 04-07-08, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
I like the BD vs. DVD graph because this is the closest apples to apples comparison you can get right now.
Actually the best apples to apples comparison would be the total BD sales vs. the total DVD sales of those titles available in BD. In any case, until they start releasing raw data, you can pretty much assume that the sales are really, really weak.
Old 04-07-08, 01:11 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by namja
Actually the best apples to apples comparison would be the total BD sales vs. the total DVD sales of those titles available in BD. In any case, until they start releasing raw data, you can pretty much assume that the sales are really, really weak.
It would only work with Day and Date releases (both new and catalog). It would be unfair to see I, Robot 1 week Blu-ray sales vs. the two different DVDs that have been available for years.
Old 04-07-08, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
It would only work with Day and Date releases (both new and catalog). It would be unfair to see I, Robot 1 week Blu-ray sales vs. the two different DVDs that have been available for years.
I agree.
Old 04-07-08, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Most people at the HDD forums actually believe that BD already has a 6-8% total market share vs. DVD .
Old 04-07-08, 06:07 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Quake1028
Most people at the HDD forums actually believe that BD already has a 6-8% total market share vs. DVD .
I know. I made a post over there to some of the fools who can't read. Apparently Blu-ray has sold 9 Million Blu-rays SI....yet they have 8-10% of what DVD has sold in the past 10 years
Old 04-07-08, 08:31 PM
Suspended

The Blu god has announced some new info on Sleeping Beauty

And we have a little new information as to the extras you can expect on the upcoming Blu-ray Disc release of Disney's Sleeping Beauty: 50th Anniversary Platinum Edition (due on 10/7, SRP $35.99). The 2-disc set will include a new 7.1 Disney Enhanced Home Theater audio mix, BD-Live online options (including chat, downloads, add-on shopping and the ability to create and swap custom video messages with your friends), the Maleficent's Challenge game and "living menus" that features a real-time castle environment that changes based on your location. The Blu-ray will also include all of the standard DVD extras (TBA).
Old 04-07-08, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
I'm sure a lot of guys will love the chat and video-swap feature so they can...talk to their other Disney movie peers. Ahem.
Old 04-07-08, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
I'm sure a lot of guys will love the chat and video-swap feature so they can...talk to their other Disney movie peers. Ahem.
At least they are doing something. Fox well that's another story. They feel it's so nice of them that they are just putting the movie out on HD.
Old 04-08-08, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Great, so after sitting through the previews (or at least skipping them one by one), I get to wait for it to download info on my location, then load the fancy menu? Sigh. Well, I guess that gives me more time to get a drink if nothing else.

BTW, is Sleeping Beauty a title we would miss the original sound mix on, if it's not included? IMDB says it was 6-track so I'm not sure.
Old 04-08-08, 07:15 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sleeping Beauty was originally released in 70mm so a 7.1 mix would be much closer to the original mix 6-channel mix than the mono, which was more than likely a mixed down version of the six track. I had a chance to speak to the head of Disney's restoration department and he mentioned they're using the original reel to reel tapes of the London Philharmonic recording of the score, so the new mix should be unbelievable.
Old 04-08-08, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Sleeping Beauty was originally released in 70mm so a 7.1 mix would be much closer to the original mix 6-channel mix than the mono, which was more than likely a mixed down version of the six track. I had a chance to speak to the head of Disney's restoration department and he mentioned they're using the original reel to reel tapes of the London Philharmonic recording of the score, so the new mix should be unbelievable.
That's what I was thinking, but I just hope it doesn't sound too gimmicky like some remixes of old films.
Old 04-08-08, 10:06 AM
Suspended

I just better be able to ask Sleeping Beauty what color underwear she is wearing during a live online Profile 2.0 Java session!
Old 04-08-08, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
So far it's looking like online based features on Blu are just as lame as the HD DVD ones were.
Old 04-08-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
So far it's looking like online based features on Blu are just as lame as the HD DVD ones were.
I think as the format evolves, the features will get better. These first releases are really just test discs. Compare dvd releases today to the first 2 years and there's a huge difference, not just in quality, but the presentation itself. Remember those early discs that would default to 2.0 audio?
Old 04-08-08, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I think as the format evolves, the features will get better. These first releases are really just test discs. Compare dvd releases today to the first 2 years and there's a huge difference, not just in quality, but the presentation itself. Remember those early discs that would default to 2.0 audio?
That's fine - personally I have no interest in the online features right now.

I also think it's entertaining to see BD;'s online stuff attacked when the same kind of features were praised on that other format for being "innovative". The cynic in me says the features will ultimately be about getting us to spend more money using our players as a store portal.
Old 04-08-08, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I also think it's entertaining to see BD;'s online stuff attacked when the same kind of features were praised on that other format for being "innovative". The cynic in me says the features will ultimately be about getting us to spend more money using our players as a store portal.
With all the hype it received, I think everyone expected "BD Live" to 1up "HDi" in some fashion.

Since it's pretty much the same... been there....done that.
Old 04-08-08, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
With all the hype it received, I think everyone expected "BD Live" to 1up "HDi" in some fashion.

Since it's pretty much the same... been there....done that.

I for one didn't care if BD Live one-upped HDi -- I definitely wanted it to measure up, though. For me there's always been the perception of inequality between the two formats with BD always struggling to play catch-up. Whether or not I ever planned to use a feature like HDi, I didn't want to have to give up the option to use it -- especially if I had to pay more in the process.

I'm glad to see these features being successfully implemented, irregardless of whether or not I ever intend to use them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.