Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

HD DVD officially dead. Universal and Paramount going Blu.

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

HD DVD officially dead. Universal and Paramount going Blu.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-08, 11:41 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There Will Be Blood HD-DVD cancelled? I hope that means that Paramount BDs are coming sooner than expected.
Old 02-25-08, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jiggawhat
Paramount will be releasing a lot faster than you think.
Yummy.

Spoiler:
Face/Off
Old 02-25-08, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I'll believe it when I have my Braveheart and Chinatown Blu-Ray's - two recent SCE DVD's that surely should have had day and date HD releases as well.
Why is that? The studios are apparently complaining about the way HDM buyers ignore many catalog titles. I suspect comedies also don't sell well either. I do not find it surprising that Chinatown was glossed over (I bought the SD DVD release, myself). Braveheart seems like a better, but not good, fit for the HDM buying masses.

If PS3 won the format war for the BDA, it also doomed us to a ghetto of movies that largely appeal to that player base. The studios appear to be after the PS3 game players, males 18-35, and classic early tech adopters, males 35-50.

Thus, we see the line-up of catalog films that almost excessively feature CGI, science fiction, special effects, sports, or action at a ratio of 3:1.

I, personally, am looking forward to some of the above. But I am just as excited by Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Bonnie and Clyde, and Passage to India.

Kudos to Warner for putting out more diverse release lists. I am sure they could put out more lucrative movies but have chosen to show some passion for the business they are in -- and don't forgo it for sheer gross receipts.

-beebs
Old 02-25-08, 12:51 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by beebs
Why is that? The studios are apparently complaining about the way HDM buyers ignore many catalog titles. I suspect comedies also don't sell well either. I do not find it surprising that Chinatown was glossed over (I bought the SD DVD release, myself). Braveheart seems like a better, but not good, fit for the HDM buying masses.

If PS3 won the format war for the BDA, it also doomed us to a ghetto of movies that largely appeal to that player base. The studios appear to be after the PS3 game players, males 18-35, and classic early tech adopters, males 35-50.

Thus, we see the line-up of catalog films that almost excessively feature CGI, science fiction, special effects, sports, or action at a ratio of 3:1.

I, personally, am looking forward to some of the above. But I am just as excited by Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Bonnie and Clyde, and Passage to India.

Kudos to Warner for putting out more diverse release lists. I am sure they could put out more lucrative movies but have chosen to show some passion for the business they are in -- and don't forgo it for sheer gross receipts.

-beebs
and then you look at a studio like Fox, that seems completely clueless.
Old 02-25-08, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Why is that?
Simple - because every other studio is at least making an effort with catalog titles. WB, Disney, Fox, Universal, Sony - all have had catalog releases in the past month or so.

Paramount is the only major studio who seems to have halted catalog releases on HDM.

Was Run Lola Run a better choice for the "PS3 crowd"?

You also named three great titles coming to Blu-Ray that don't fit the typical "PS3 crowd" type of title.

Braveheart and Chinatown are prestigious titles for Paramount. Braveheart won 5 Oscars including Best Director and Best Picture. I think that's enough to warrant an HD release when it's obvious a new transfer was just done.
Old 02-25-08, 01:07 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
Fox has only really released Scifi, Action and Horror. A few comedy's here and there and a drama or two. They, like every other Blu studio, are catering to the PS3 gamer crowd. Until stand alone sales improve I fully expect this to continue. Blu-ray SA's should be where HD DVD was when it died in the next few weeks if their sales continue (not counting all the after-death HD DVD player sales).

Titles like Casablanca, Grand Prix, Forbidden Planet and Adventures of Robin Hood could have been released on Blu-ray at the same time as HD DVD, but maybe Warner knew they would not be big sellers on a format that is primarily played on a PS3? They sold poorly on HD DVD, I cant imagine sales on Blu-ray when it simply does not fit the demographic.
Old 02-25-08, 01:09 PM
Suspended

Paramount is the only major studio who seems to have halted catalog releases on HDM.
Obviously you are forgetting they released Anchorman and Old Skool Actually...is that really it for catalog titles since they went HD DVD exclusive? I can't even think of any other titles besides maybe Zodiac which is more towards a newer release then catalog.

Not only did that have a great chance to release Braveheart, but Shrek I and Shrek II as well.
Old 02-25-08, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Obviously you are forgetting they released Anchorman and Old Skool Actually...is that really it for catalog titles since they went HD DVD exclusive? I can't even think of any other titles besides maybe Zodiac which is more towards a newer release then catalog.

Not only did that have a great chance to release Braveheart, but Shrek I and Shrek II as well.
There was Face/Off at the end of October. Would have been Jack Ryan as well if, well, you know. And the two you mentioned were DW, which I know is splitting hairs, but still, it's been almost 4 months since a Paramount branded catalog title on HDM. Sad.

EDIT: Okay one - Zodiac. Since it's a new cut, is it still considered catalog?

Last edited by bunkaroo; 02-25-08 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-25-08, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Was Run Lola Run a better choice for the "PS3 crowd"?
Indeed.

The whole PS3 argument is as laughable as they come. SONY has been pushing the envelope with diverse films more than any other studio releasing at this point (from Volver to The Lives of Others to Immortal Beloved to the just reannounced Saawariya, etc). They also have some very impressive classics coming out this year (On the Waterfornt).

The notion that BR is controlled by the PS3 crowd (?) while all of the serious film buffs are/were on the other side, just as a famous poll on this site desired to prove, is frankly off.

The reality is that, just as it was the case with early DVD sales, the classics so many are concerned with do not bode well with early adopters. If the early HDDVD owners were so much more sophisticated and versed in serious cinema then those same classics would have sold well. They did not.

Ciao,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 02-25-08 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-25-08, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
Fox is not clueless, they simply will not venture far from the gross receipts playbook. Look at the top movie grossers of all time -- Fox has released nearly all their movies from the top 300 (less Star Wars, which I am sure is not in their control). I predict they will announce/release the handful missing in the next 6-9 months.

-beebs
Old 02-25-08, 01:47 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Fox is not clueless, they simply will not venture far from the gross receipts playbook. Look at the top movie grossers of all time -- Fox has released nearly all their movies from the top 300 (less Star Wars, which I am sure is not in their control). I predict they will announce/release the handful missing in the next 6-9 months.

-beebs

wake me up when they do.
Old 02-25-08, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Well, it's a good point GizmoDVD made. Paramount has proven history of putting out few titles. Why should they change now? What is their motive for producing more titles within a smaller period of time?

Like GizmoDVD, I'll believe it when I see it. It has nothing to do with being Anti-Positive Blu-Ray News. It has everything to do with the movie studio and what their intentions are (as well as history).

Maybe Paramount knows in the near future, they will make more profits of off Blu-ray discs due to...prices. So, yeah, maybe Bill is right.

Until then, we simply won't know until Paramount acts.
maybe it's a gesture of good faith to all those BD owners to whom they said "piss off" back in August?
Old 02-25-08, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
maybe it's a gesture of good faith to all those BD owners to whom they said "piss off" back in August?
Good point!
Old 02-25-08, 03:08 PM

Not sure if anyone has brought this yet or not, but I don't think the HD-DVD format will be going away anytime soon. Yes all of the movie studios are backing Blu, but HD-DVD is a more viable solution for Archiving on a PC. Samsung has promised to continue making HD / Blu combo drives for the PC so for those of us with an HTPC, this is a great way to get into HD.

I just picked up a 60.00 Xbox Drive which I will run in my HTPC and somewhere down the line, I wil get a combo drive.
Old 02-25-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Indeed.

The whole PS3 argument is as laughable as they come. SONY has been pushing the envelope with diverse films more than any other studio releasing at this point (from Volver to The Lives of Others to Immortal Beloved to the just reannounced Saawariya, etc). They also have some very impressive classics coming out this year (On the Waterfornt).
Volver, Lives of Others are new movies. I saw these when they came to US theaters in 2006. These are not catalog releases by any stretch.

You bring up Sony and don't mention 20 Million Miles to Earth? That plus Immortal Beloved (1995), Big Fish (2003) and Seven Years in Tibet (1997) are about it for the studios gutsy catalog releases so far. What is amazing is that this is pretty good for a studio on Blu-ray.

Look at a partial list of the movies Sony has from owning the Columbia Pictures library, the list at IMDB. How many movies have they released from before 1990? Look at that link. It's mind-bottling!

The PS3 effect, if you ask me, has more to do with current releases than with catalog. It is, after all, current movies that the PS3 crowd are into -- not movies, even action flicks, from 10+ years ago. In my mind, this is why we have a 2-disc release of Hitman.

-beebs
Old 02-25-08, 03:45 PM
Suspended

There was Face/Off at the end of October. Would have been Jack Ryan as well if, well, you know. And the two you mentioned were DW, which I know is splitting hairs, but still, it's been almost 4 months since a Paramount branded catalog title on HDM. Sad.

EDIT: Okay one - Zodiac. Since it's a new cut, is it still considered catalog?
You are right! Those are Dreamworks titles. So Paramount never released a single catalog title on HD DVD that was not already planned (Face/Off was planned for both, as was Jack Ryan IIRC). Wow, talk about a craptacular studio. Sucks that Jack Ryan will most likely be "pulled" again...My Wal-Mart still has the 4 Pack for sale, but can't sell it. They also tell me no then put it back on the shelf. Idiots.

As for Zodiac...it is still a catalog title, just like any other film would be if it got a "directors cut" or something. Still, a newer one though as we never got the announced but canceled Theatrical cut.
Old 02-25-08, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

IIRC, I don't think Paramount ever gave Stardust a BD future release date last summer before going exclusive.
Old 02-25-08, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Look at that link. It's mind-bottling!
??

Old 02-25-08, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
??

Wow, nice pic. Almost perfect for the Blades of Glory quote.

-beebs
Old 02-25-08, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Indeed.

The whole PS3 argument is as laughable as they come. SONY has been pushing the envelope with diverse films
Sony has been doing okay, but Warner is the studio really putting out the diverse catalog of films. I would have never touched either HD format if it wasn't for the Warner library pulling me in.

I will give Sony credit though. Life of Brian and 20 Million Miles to Earth were great catalog titles and they did a wonderful job on both. Can't wait for On The Waterfront and Lawrence of Arabia.

Now that the format war is over I think the PS3 effect will be lessened. During the first year they had to market more towards the PS3 crowd because so many mainstream DVD buyers were hesitant to jump aboard and the video game crowd was the biggest share of owners, but with the war over I see them really putting out a wide array of films to try and draw in the masses. There are also a ton of standalones on the way so I'm no longer worried about this being a format just for game console owners.
Old 02-25-08, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Give me Guns of Navarrone or give me death!
Old 02-25-08, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks like Paramount has officially announced There will be Blood for Blu-ray. http://www.hollywoodinhighdef.com/ (backed by BD studios) has the trailer up and at the end there was a graphic that said on dvd and Blu-ray. Thanks for the prophetic words jiggawhat!

Last edited by tonymontana313; 02-25-08 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-25-08, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm just waiting for a YouTube clip with DDL screaming "I've abandoned my format! I've abandoned my format!".
Old 02-25-08, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
Looks like Paramount has officially announced There will be Blood for Blu-ray. Hollywoodinhighdef.com (backed by BD studios) has the trailer up and at the end there was a graphic that said on dvd and Blu-ray. Thanks for the prophetic words jiggawhat!
I'll be damned, it does say that. It actually says "On DVD and high definition, only on Blu Ray". This site looks to be all Blu Ray, so unless someone made a huge mistake, I think someone jumped the gun by "announcing" this.
Old 02-25-08, 06:31 PM
Suspended

Ive read that its actually getting released by Miramax instead of Paramount now, which is why its not going to ever see a HD DVD release.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.