Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

HD DVD officially dead. Universal and Paramount going Blu.

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

HD DVD officially dead. Universal and Paramount going Blu.

Old 02-25-08, 06:46 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Why on earth would Miramax release it instead of Paramount?
Old 02-25-08, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by QuePaso
Ive read that its actually getting released by Miramax instead of Paramount now, which is why its not going to ever see a HD DVD release.
that really really sucks. i had the HDDVD in my shopping cart at CH over the weekend and it disappeared (as did the non-HD versions)
Old 02-25-08, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tonymontana313
Looks like Paramount...
Cross Bones Style....

Pro-B

*Listen to the song!

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 02-25-08 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-25-08, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I guess there's a 1% chance of that happening, but it's still there.
Paramount has the home video rights I believe, but it was a joint production between Vantage and Miramax. Maybe Paramount was really unhappy with how the film performed (Oscar and B.O.) so they sold off the rights to Miramax?

This is very unlikely though, especially considering the fact that Paramount is on the BD bandwagon.
Old 02-25-08, 07:34 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Its just what i've read, it makes sense i guess. Ive also been told advertising for Bee Movie now states "Available on DVD and Blu-ray Hi-Def". No HD DVD mentioned anywhere. Who knows. We should hopefully find out more info soon.
Old 02-25-08, 07:40 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
So does that mean all the HD DVD exclusive features will not be dropped since its going to be on Blu-ray?

Edit: For Bee Movie.

Last edited by Gizmo; 02-25-08 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-25-08, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All Paramount upcoming hd-dvds have been cancelled according to a retailer at highdefdigest.com. He says that Bee Movie might be the last hd-dvd from Paramount. Link for proof... http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=45656
Old 02-25-08, 08:09 PM
Suspended

All after Bee Movie? So that would be There Will Be Blood and Sweeny Todd then, right? The other movies have already been pressed.
Old 02-25-08, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Does that include Into the Wild? That title, Sweeney Todd, and TWBB are the 3 I'm concerned about.

Last edited by Drexl; 02-25-08 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-25-08, 08:13 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Drexl
Does that include Into the Wild?
Into the Wild and Things We Lost in the Fire have already been pressed and received at a few online retailers. They were done early and then held back (pushed back) because of the Oscar nominations. I imagine Paramount will still release and sell these. Seems stupid to cancel There Will Be Blood and Sweeny Todd if they can't get Blu-ray releases out in time. I know i'll be passing on the SD versions.
Old 02-25-08, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I figured it was already done. I'm wondering if it will get a BD release.
Old 02-25-08, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
All after Bee Movie? So that would be There Will Be Blood and Sweeny Todd then, right? The other movies have already been pressed.
I would assume that would be the case but I still don't get the Bee Movie ads. There is a thread at bluray.com saying that the New York Times has an ad showing the dvd and Blu-ray as well. I guess we will just have to wait and see.
Old 02-25-08, 08:21 PM
Suspended

Yeah, I figured it was already done. I'm wondering if it will get a BD release.
I'd imagine those will get a release date sooner then some of Paramount/DWs other releases.
Old 02-25-08, 08:23 PM
Suspended

I would assume that would be the case but I still don't get the Bee Movie ads. There is a thread at bluray.com saying that the New York Times has an ad showing the dvd and Blu-ray as well. I guess we will just have to wait and see.
I have only seen the Bee Movie ads show DVD...not mention of HD DVD or anything else. Sucks as this was a title I would actually purchase at full price even after the demise of HD DVD.
Old 02-25-08, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Am I alone in wondering if all of the discounted HD-DVD players and software sales might be significant enough to give HD-DVD some ray of hope?

Is it inconceivable to wonder if there have been more HD-DVD player sales in the last couple of weeks even with the "dead format" announcements than there have been blu-ray player sales? Or, would the band-wagon jumping on blu-ray completely off-set this?
Old 02-25-08, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I have only seen the Bee Movie ads show DVD...not mention of HD DVD or anything else. Sucks as this was a title I would actually purchase at full price even after the demise of HD DVD.
I think they will still release it on hd-dvd since I'm sure the discs are already pressed but maybe they might hold it till they can get it ready with the Blu-ray copies. Just a guess.
Old 02-25-08, 08:34 PM
Suspended

I think they will still release it on hd-dvd since I'm sure the discs are already pressed but maybe they might hold it till they can get it ready with the Blu-ray copies. Just a guess.
They better releases them NOW before stores stop carrying HD DVD altogether. The longer the wait the less chance Best Buy will accept these.
Old 02-25-08, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dan30oly
Am I alone in wondering if all of the discounted HD-DVD players and software sales might be significant enough to give HD-DVD some ray of hope?

Is it inconceivable to wonder if there have been more HD-DVD player sales in the last couple of weeks even with the "dead format" announcements than there have been blu-ray player sales? Or, would the band-wagon jumping on blu-ray completely off-set this?
Eh, I think I'd echo Wallace Shawn's sentiment from The Princess Bride on that one.

Those $99 players in November were supposed to do what you're wondering about, and they just didn't have the impact necessary.
Old 02-25-08, 08:43 PM
Suspended

Those $99 players in November were supposed to do what you're wondering about, and they just didn't have the impact necessary.
They really should have done it much more often and not limit it only to Wal-Mart. But thems the breaks.
Old 02-25-08, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Face Off Blu-ray up for pre-order at Frys.com. http://shop4.outpost.com/%7B6IZUPYLW...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
Damn it Paramount, just hurry up and announce your titles since the cat is out of the bag!
Old 02-25-08, 08:51 PM

Looks like Paramount has officially announced There will be Blood for Blu-ray. http://www.hollywoodinhighdef.com/ (backed
by BD studios) has the trailer up and at the end there was a graphic that said on dvd and Blu-ray. Thanks for the prophetic words jiggawhat!

Wait, WHAT!?!?! This can't be right!

What of all the "It will be months, years before these former HD DVD exclusive studios can release Blu-Rays." or "There's a shortage of Blu-Ray pressing factories."

This is madness!
Old 02-25-08, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DarthScooby
Wait, WHAT!?!?! This can't be right!

What of all the "It will be months, years before these former HD DVD exclusive studios can release Blu-Rays." or "There's a shortage of Blu-Ray pressing factories."

This is madness!
Do you think they might bump some titles that have been patiently waiting for pressing to get a MEGA-HUGE title like "There Will Be Blood" pushed out?

It would be madness if they didn't bump other titles for big new releases.

However, I doubt we'll see catalog titles anytime soon. Being dual format now, I would love to be proven wrong though.
Old 02-25-08, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Cinram open up 15 more BD production lines so there shouldn't be issues with production or studios getting bumped.
Old 02-25-08, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by dan30oly
Do you think they might bump some titles that have been patiently waiting for pressing to get a MEGA-HUGE title like "There Will Be Blood" pushed out?

It would be madness if they didn't bump other titles for big new releases.

However, I doubt we'll see catalog titles anytime soon. Being dual format now, I would love to be proven wrong though.
It's just when the question was presented of when we could expect these studios to release on blu-ray I suggested they would push em out as fast as they could as to not lose a money opportunity without any blu-ray offerings and I got creamed for it.

Last edited by DarthScooby; 02-25-08 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-25-08, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DarthScooby
It's just when the question was presented of When we could expect these studios to release on blue-ray I suggested they would push em out as fast as they could as to not loose a money oppertunity without any blu-ray offerings and I got creamed for it.
Consider yourself vindicated then.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.