Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

HD DVD officially dead. Universal and Paramount going Blu.

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

HD DVD officially dead. Universal and Paramount going Blu.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-08, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tonymontana313
Consider yourself vindicated then.
Well, I mistyped lose in my original post so I guess I'm back on the s*it list.
Old 02-25-08, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Let's hope the US BD release of Face/Off is like the UK BD version, rather than the US HD DVD. The HD DVD has overdone DNR.
Old 02-25-08, 09:17 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by DarthScooby
It's just when the question was presented of when we could expect these studios to release on blu-ray I suggested they would push em out as fast as they could as to not lose a money opportunity without any blu-ray offerings and I got creamed for it.
We have been over it before. Paramount has only been HD DVD exclusive for 5 months. They know how to make Blu-rays. They only released 15 or so HD DVD "exclusive" movies in 5 months, thats a drop in the bucket compared to the 150+ Universal has done. Face/Off was ready to go when it was canceled (along with Blades of Glory). Its no shock its getting pushed out so fast, along with Blades I'm sure. Now how long before we see the other HD DVD exclusive movies? The ones with features only on HD DVD that have to be removed or cleaned up to work on Blu-ray is another story.

Paramount could release all of their HD DVD exclusive movies in the next 6 months without issues...but will they? Who knows. This is the same studio that has been dragging its feet for 2 years now releasing the least amount of movies from all studios.

Universal is a totally different subject which may take years for all the current HD DVD exclusives to come out. I doubt Universal is even prepping Cat People, Time Copy, Seed of Chucky. etc. right now. American Gangster is on the top of the list I'm sure.
Old 02-25-08, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
Let's hope the US BD release of Face/Off is like the UK BD version, rather than the US HD DVD. The HD DVD has overdone DNR.
I have a 50" plasma. I actually watched the first half last night. I can say I see next to no DNR at all. Maybe edge enhancement in a few areas, and I would honestly have to watch the first half again, because the transfer is darn good.

Just my opinion, but I'd be surprised if Paramount changed this version at all for BD. Probably just a MPEG-2 transcode to satisfy the curious. And that's if they got off their asses.
Old 02-25-08, 10:08 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
I have a 50" plasma. I actually watched the first half last night. I can say I see next to no DNR at all. Maybe edge enhancement in a few areas, and I would honestly have to watch the first half again, because the transfer is darn good.

Just my opinion, but I'd be surprised if Paramount changed this version at all for BD. Probably just a MPEG-2 transcode to satisfy the curious. And that's if they got off their asses.
Transformers Blu-ray is high bitrate (much higher then the HD DVD) AVC encoded with PCM lossless audio. I expect all paramount titles that weren't authored to be the same from now on.
Old 02-25-08, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How exactly do you know this? And, as we have gone over 1 trillion times before, higher bitrate does not always equal a better transfer.
Old 02-25-08, 10:20 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Quake1028
How exactly do you know this? And, as we have gone over 1 trillion times before, higher bitrate does not always equal a better transfer.
Blu-ray insiders. And you can turn Blu in the face and tell me bitrate doesnt matter, however, i will trust in what ive seen. Thanks.
Old 02-25-08, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts
How do even know that, QuePaso? It will most likely be the same transfer and maybe it'll get a Dolby TrueHD track, if Paramount even bothers to change a thing from the current release.
Old 02-25-08, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by QuePaso
Blu-ray insiders. And you can turn Blu in the face and tell me bitrate doesnt matter, however, i will trust in what ive seen. Thanks.
I never said it doesn't matter. Don't twist my words. I said it doesn't always equal a better transfer. I will trust what I've seen, thanks. But since you have Blu so far up your ass I doubt you will get that.
Old 02-25-08, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by QuePaso
So, you've seen comparisons of a higher bitrate versus a lower bitrate. Do you have a link for us? Bitrate of course matters. 1Mbps versus 20Mbps would be a significant difference. But does 20Mbps and 25Mbps mean that much of a difference?
Old 02-25-08, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Quake1028
I never said it doesn't matter. Don't twist my words. I said it doesn't always equal a better transfer. I will trust what I've seen, thanks. But since you have Blu so far up your ass I doubt you will get that.
Your last comment is really uncalled for and is in very poor taste.
To be fair, there are SOME scenes of Transformers that do look a bit soft and almost look slightly upconverted. You can verify this as other people have brought this up at AVS and other forums.
Old 02-25-08, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think people are forgetting that there was a format war going on which made studios hesitant to push out a bunch of titles when there is no idea who is coming out on top.

Universal pushed out a crapload of titles and some of them were crap (sorry had to be said) because they had to. They were the main backer and they needed to release titles to get people to adopt the format. It was also easier because they didn't have the headache to deal with two formats.

Paramount and Warner were both neutral so they couldn't release a bunch of titles. Then Paramount went exclusive but they were to late in the game to go all out. Then, sales numbers show how BD is wiping the floor with HD so even more hesitation is stirred. I don't understand why people are irritated about them not releasing titles. What do you expect? We were in a format war they aren't going to risk investing too much money into a format that may or may not win.

Weinstein dropped off the face of the earth because they saw sales numbers but to were hesitant because they don't want to invest in a losing format which they figured out after more and more sales numbers come out.

Now that the war is over you'll see a lot more titles from everyone, but at the same time don't expect 100 titles a month.
Old 02-25-08, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To be fair, there are SOME scenes of Transformers that do look a bit soft and almost look slightly upconverted. You can verify this as other people have brought this up at AVS and other forums.
It was said by someone can't remember who, but the HD-DVD was the least common denominator and that space was a limiting factor. BD was the target.
Old 02-25-08, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jiggawhat
It was said by someone can't remember who, but the HD-DVD was the least common denominator and that space was a limiting factor. BD was the target.
Now that Jigga has said it, that's all the confirmation anyone else needs.
Old 02-25-08, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts
Weren't most, if not all, of those confirmed to be focus pull errors that also appear in the trailers? For example when Sam refers to Bumblebee as "some kind of super advanced robot" the whole shot suddenly goes out of focus. This happened theatrically as well and is also evidenced in the trailer. So it's doubtful it's a transfer issue but rather an error on the part of the focus puller.

Last edited by RocShemp; 02-25-08 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-25-08, 11:18 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Now that Jigga has said it, that's all the confirmation anyone else needs.
It was said by someone can't remember who....
Yep, and Bob Saget told me VHS was better.

I watch movies, not how high a number peaks which makes no difference to the naked eyes. Some of you guys crack me up. I can see people at home going "OMG!!!!IT PEAKED AT 36!!!!!!!WOOOOOAH! BLU-RAY RULES!!!!!". I can't wait to see Transformers on Blu-ray be identical to the HD DVD version minus all the stripped out HD DVD features. Time for this thread to be closed as its turned into a 'Blu-ray is better' thread.
Old 02-25-08, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Yep, and Bob Saget told me VHS was better.

I watch movies, not how high a number peaks which makes no difference to the naked eyes. Some of you guys crack me up. I can see people at home going "OMG!!!!IT PEAKED AT 36!!!!!!!WOOOOOAH! BLU-RAY RULES!!!!!". I can't wait to see Transformers on Blu-ray be identical to the HD DVD version minus all the stripped out HD DVD features. Time for this thread to be closed as its turned into a 'Blu-ray is better' thread.
I could careless about the bitrates man. It's just that at certain parts, I thought the transfer was a bit soft on the hd-dvd. I'm not claiming at all that the BD version will be better but I am interested in finding out if Paramount is going to use the BD specific transfer that has already been authored.
Old 02-25-08, 11:25 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I am closing the thread, but not because this has turned into a "Blu-ray is better" thread. I'm closing it because the same usual suspects are parading out the same tired arguments and making it personal. Thanks for ruining it for everyone else, guys. There will be no part two to this thread, as by this point I think everything that needs to be said has been said.