Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Warner, New Line, Paramount, Universal ... The Studios/Networks Thread - Part 2

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Warner, New Line, Paramount, Universal ... The Studios/Networks Thread - Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-08, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Did anyone else catch this? What the hell is this guy implying?? That we'll be able to burn our own copies of Blu-ray movies with a BD recorder???
I'm not sure, but I would hope it refers to being able to record HD content from your cable box, similar to a DVD recorder. I could really use one of them!
Old 01-08-08, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to break up the party and I'll be out of your way in a moment, but boes this mean there won't be any more firmware upgrades for my XA1?
Old 01-08-08, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
This never was an "everybody buy Blu now thread". But it has become a borderline 100 reasons to no longer support HD thread simply because of what has happened over the last few days. Now that it appears that there no longer is a war people are now pointing out their sudden lack of desire of HD and trying to be persuasive in making others still feel uncomfortable in spending their money on Blu-Ray players based on the supposedly "ridiculous prices" of the players.
Don't worry. No one is buying it.
Old 01-08-08, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by The Edit King
Sorry to break up the party and I'll be out of your way in a moment, but boes this mean there won't be any more firmware upgrades for my XA1?
I'm surprised there still are now.
Old 01-08-08, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I disagree. The formats came out a decade after their predecessor media and right at the time of the affordable HD boom. With the 2009 change over, HD will be more popular than ever. With cable and sat said to offer 100 HD channels by the end of the year, you will see more and more HD displays in houses and it's appropriate to have HD players to go with them. As for whether is enough of an upgrade, it sure looks like it to me.
I think sales have shown how popular exactly both HD formats are. It may look like an upgrade to you but so far the masses could give a shit.

The masses care about the things they are educated on. Don't kid yourself and think that most people didn't see much of a difference between VHS and DVD at the outset either. They asked the SAME QUESTIONS you bring up now. Attitudes will change, just like the did with DVD.
There were other differences in the switch from DVD to VHS that people recognized and those types of differences are not apparent from DVD to high def.

Again, this is an incorrect assumption and a misuse of facts. Why would anyone HAVE To replace their collection? Will their BD player not play standard DVD media? Yes it will, and it will also upconvert it. I am most buying new releases and titles I didn't have on DVD with the occasional upgrade. People will just continue their normal buying habits.
By replace I mean upgrade, I think that was obvious.

This is again incorrect. Firmware upgradability means that people are not forced to buy new equipment every time a new feature is added. It's probably one of the biggest ADVANCEMENTS in CE technology over the past decade.
I'm sorry but I don't see someone who will be very happy or think that their new player is at all user friendly when they have to upgrade their firmware before they watch a disc they just bought. That's ludicrous.
Old 01-08-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Firmware upgrades used to be a great thing and added functionality to devices, until CE companies realized (and this isn't a Blu specific problem) they could release poorly tested equipment into the wild and just have consumers fix their problems
Old 01-08-08, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Since all the other threads got closed I'm just going to post what I was gonna say there for the sake of discussion: Paramount may be denying dumping HD-DVD, but Warner Brothers did the exact same thing in December.
Old 01-08-08, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Paramount ain't' going to make $50M on BD right now. However, holiday season 08 is a different matter.
Don't forget that Paramount already produced BR discs that where packaged and ready to ship before they jumped to HD last summer. These disc are just sitting around and were a loss for Paramount in CY2007. If they decide to go with the buyout, these discs will ship to resellers almost immediately and will equate to a major profit for CY2008.
Old 01-08-08, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want Pan's Labyrinth on HD DVD, you better buy it soon. New Line says that their 1 and only HD DVD release is their last. Once retail copies are gone, that's it. They haven't announced their BD plans, but will be releasing more catalog and day & date this year.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...o_Blu-ray/1351
Old 01-08-08, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I totally lost track of this thread, so I don't know if this has been posted, so let me know if it has and I'll replace it with a photo of a super model or something:

CES News: Blu-Ray May Give HD-DVD Users An "Olive Branch"

With the HD-DVD disk format seemingly on the ropes, The Digital Bits web site is reporting that the rival Blu-Ray group is thinking about helping owners of HD-DVD movies and players make the transition to the Blu-Ray camp once the HD-DVD format officially shuts down. The help might come by trading in HD-DVD movies for Blu-Ray titles or giving a discount for Blu-Ray players for people who bought HD-DVD players prior to the end of 2007. Here is a snip:

One last note this evening: That idea I floated yesterday, that the BDA should offer an olive branch to HD-DVD consumers? I mentioned it to senior BDA executives this evening, and I think you can safely say that they're going to move forward with something along these very lines in the weeks ahead. We'll post more when we can, but the idea was definitely warmly received. In fact, plans are already in the works. We'll post more on this as things develop.
By the way the same web site stated through unnamed sources that prior to Warner Bros.'s Friday announcement that it would go Blu-Ray exclusive, Microsoft was planning on having as much as 30 percent of its keynote event devoted to HD-DVD. With the surprise Warner Bros. announcement, those plans were allegedly scrapped and Microsoft, a major supporter of the HD-DVD format, never mentioned the format during the hour long presentation.
Old 01-08-08, 04:21 PM

Pan's Labyrinth HD-DVD

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
If you want Pan's Labyrinth on HD DVD, you better buy it soon. New Line says that their 1 and only HD DVD release is their last. Once retail copies are gone, that's it. They haven't announced their BD plans, but will be releasing more catalog and day & date this year.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...o_Blu-ray/1351
I wonder how long "the ability to create and share custom scene playlists, view and rate predetermined clips from the film, and participate in various film related polls" will be supported...
Old 01-08-08, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by namja
VHS to DVD = a hugh technological leap.
DVD to Blu-ray (or HD DVD) = improvement in a similar technology.

People were willing to fork over some money for a disc instead of tape.
Not as many people are willing to fork over same money for a better disc.
i dont have a blue ray or HD dvd player, but i salivate when i walk into costco(or bestbuy or CC) and see the phenomenal pictures from the hd movies.

I still have my vcr, well 2 actually, but one is a tv/vcr combo and the screen size is 9inch. I use these for the films that arent on dvd(usually really really old films).

The difference between the dvd and VHS is noticable. However, the high def format is simply jaw dropping. But i guess the grass is always greener on the other side.

As soon as the prices for the high def tvs, and for these players fall out of the sky i will bite.
Old 01-08-08, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

CKMorpheus, THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN POSTED!

(Actually, I don't know if it has or not, I just wanted to see a supermodel posted in this thread.)
Old 01-08-08, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Here's a good editorial on why disc-based media will be dead before Blu-ray can even catch on.

Last week the big news, or so it seemed, was that Warner Bros announced they would go all Blu-Ray. The format war is over, was the consensus, and Blu-Ray has Betamaxed HD-DVD. But to me this was a minor skirmish in a bigger conflict, one whose eventual victor has barely begun to enter the fight. While everybody was paying lots of attention to already-archaic disc based physical storage media, the future winner - digital downloads - gained some ground as Netflix announced a new set-top box that would allow subscribers to download movies from the internet and watch them on their TVs.

Digital download is where this is all going. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are distractions along the way; the truth is that anyone who replaces their entire DVD catalog with hi-def discs is going to feel like a major schmuck in about a decade or less. There are a few hurdles standing in the way of a world where all of our entertainment is streamed to us on demand, but they're all relatively minor, and they're all obstacles that are going to be surmounted by the inexorable forward march of technology anyway.

A lot of people reading this will immediately object to a future where you no longer buy physical objects that you store and display, but the truth is that these people are in the minority. Ten years ago I had more or less finished replacing my vinyl with CDs, and I couldn't picture a world where I would ever want to get rid of all those discs sitting on so many shelves. Even when Napster came along, with its novelty and its ease of use and its freeness, I figured that people would still want to buy CDs. They want those liner notes! They like owning the thing! Except it turns out that they don't. The whole world of music distribution is being turned upside down by the fact that people don't mind getting their music online, and while they're happy to pirate it, they've also been proven to be happy paying for it. All those CDs I used to own? They're in boxes today, their only function in life to hold up my bedroom television. Many of them are ripped on to my iPod, and the ones that aren't... well, let's just say that if I decide I want to listen to Touch Me I'm Sick and it's not on my iPod, there are easier ways for me to get it than to dig through the boxes. I buy CDs occasionally now, but I'd rather download my music, and I like it when someone offers me a reasonably priced way to do it legally.

Here's the rub when it comes to music and movies and ownership: people have been owning music on physical media for decades now. Our grandparents bought records. Fuck, Edison invented that shit. But it took just a decade for the change to happen, for people to essentially begin abandoning the buying of CDs (I am aware that a lot of people still buy CDs. In this case the change is like the old cliche about turning an aircraft carrier around; it'll take you some time. But we're at a point of no return with the music industry, where digital delivery is becoming utterly mainstream and not just for early adopters/hipsters/cutting edge techies). Now compare this with movies, which we've only been owning in a real way for about a decade. Before DVD, VHS tapes were rarely priced to own at first release. Only serious movie people had big collections of pre-taped VHS movies. But with the incredibly low price point of DVDs, everybody could build a library of their own. Still, they've only been at it for the last ten years or so, and if a decades long attachment to physical music delivery could be severed so quickly, the way people buy movies will change much faster. Just this past weekend, Bill Gates sat down with Reuters and spelled out the reality of the current format war: 'In the long run, people don’t want physical media. You don’t say to yourself, what’s the format battle after CD. If someone tried to introduce a new music format, you’d laugh and say ‘well isn’t that my phone, my iPod and my Zune?’ And you’d be right.'

I have to admit that my life is better without the CDs, at least in terms of my environment. All of a sudden I have space where there was none before. And I'm looking at my DVDs, which tend to clutter areas and quickly outgrow their shelving, with a longing for them to be gone as well. Who am I showing all these things off for anyway?

The key to digital download conquering all is ease of delivery. The new Netflix system still isn't quite there - you attach a Netflix box to your TV and your computer and then you log onto their site, choose a movie and watch it on the TV - because people want to do it all with one remote control. The Xbox Marketplace has something very much like that perfect system, where you can sit on your couch and quickly and easily scroll through movies, pick one, wait a few seconds for the download to hit a certain point and then start watching. I blew through all of Survivor: China like this; it was just so easy to get the next episode that I couldn't figure out a good argument to not do it (besides the whole 'Why are you spending a whole night and afternoon watching Survivor?').

Like I said, there are still obstacles. There's the fact that America's internet needs to get faster, and it needs to reach more people. Then there's going to be digital download's own version of the format war, which will be about how stuff is distributed. It is a sale model or is it a rental model? Will it be like some new internet music services, where you pay a monthly fee for access to streams of thousands and thousands of songs? The battle's already begun as Fox has forced Steve Jobs to step off his adamant 'sale only' policy at the iTunes store. The truth is that corporations are going to want to force you to pay to watch their content every single time. Ubiquitous delivery will be only the beginning of all this. That's going to get especially sticky in a world where portable players become more commonplace. I recently bought an Archos 605 Wifi, a wonderful personal video player with 80 gigs of memory and a beautiful 4.3 inch touchscreen, and the device has revolutionized the way I watch things - not least because I can put a dozen movies on this pocket sized device, bring it to a friend's house and plug it into their TV. When digital download is king, the distributors are going to want me to pay to put movies on there, as well as on my TV or other display devices.

While I'm waiting for that final format war to heat up, I look at all the people caught up in this new one and shake my head. In ten years movie discs will be like vinyl - they may still make them, but they'll be for a niche group of collectors. I'll grab a Blu-Ray player when they're dirt cheap, and I'll pick up a new movie here and there, but who wants to invest in an already almost obsolete technology when the next big thing is just on the horizon? The only answer comes from how far off you think that horizon to be.

Last edited by slop101; 01-08-08 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-08-08, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Man I cannot wait to start seeing some New Line catalog titles. They have so many films I want.
Old 01-08-08, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey, if they'll sell me fast internet access (over 20Mbps) for $10/month or less, sure, I'd for the download buffet of music and movies, but who's going to really subsidize that internet infrastructure in the next 5-10 years? And will it become every citizen's right to have cheap internet access, a la water, so that we can get our entertainment piped into our homes in blazing fast fashion?
Old 01-08-08, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hmm, interesting. I just went to amazon.com, and the page you're directed to immediately has links everywhere promoting the HD-DVD items for sale. Are they trying to liquidate or promote?
Old 01-08-08, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

This is something people keep inferring to but although digital downloads may be a bigger thing in the future, I don't think that anybody is really going to look at a hard drive, and look at hard media such as something on disc, and think it's going to last. You could plunk all that money down on digital movie downloads, run out of space and have to delete movies in order to download new ones... or the service can go down, whatever. A hard drive can fail. Hard media is still going to appeal to many, many, many people. Not only that, but people like to show off their film collections. Hard media isn't going anywhere. I'd feel much more comfortable with having my DVD's than having them all on a hard drive that could fail on me in two years.
Old 01-08-08, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FYI, the pre-order for The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford is back up at Amazon. Both HD formats are there.
Old 01-08-08, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Yavin
Hmm, interesting. I just went to amazon.com, and the page you're directed to immediately has links everywhere promoting the HD-DVD items for sale. Are they trying to liquidate or promote?

I'm not seeing any new sales . . .
Old 01-08-08, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think he meant sales, just more links to the items they have available.
Old 01-08-08, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I don't think he meant sales, just more links to the items they have available.

Ahhh. That's determined by your browsing history, though, isn't it?
Old 01-08-08, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
Hey, if they'll sell me fast internet access (over 20Mbps) for $10/month or less, sure, I'd for the download buffet of music and movies, but who's going to really subsidize that internet infrastructure in the next 5-10 years? And will it become every citizen's right to have cheap internet access, a la water, so that we can get our entertainment piped into our homes in blazing fast fashion?
Well, I think that in 5~10 years, speeds like 25Mbps will be the norm. Maybe closer to 10 than 5. In Korea and Japan, this is already the norm:

Related Chart: http://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/I...speedchart.jpg
Related Article: http://www.gearlog.com/2007/06/in_ja...ady_read_t.php
Old 01-08-08, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by applesandrice
Ahhh. That's determined by your browsing history, though, isn't it?
I think some of it is, like what you see on the front page.
Old 01-08-08, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I think Paramount should spend less energy on rumor control and more on distributing their new HD-DVD releases like Zodiac so their customers can actually get them when they're released. No CC, Target, or Netflix...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.