Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Warner, New Line, Paramount, Universal ... The Studios/Networks Thread - Part 2

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-08, 03:58 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

First thread here: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=521651

Mod note: If this thread degenerates into the mindless bickering we saw at the end of the last thread, it will be closed and the mods will decide whether or not suspensions are appropriate.

Edit - Here are my thoughts on the decision: http://www.dvdtalk.com/hd/warner_bros_turns_blu.html
Old 01-06-08, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I'm not sure if anyone saw it, but is there any news on the Onkyo HD-DVD play that was suppose to debut at CES (if it hadn't already?). That had some real nice specs and it would be a shame for it to become vaporware.
Old 01-06-08, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe the reason some of the postings are becoming more negative is that the shock of Friday's announcement is beginning to wear off, and some people just want to vent. It's a natural reaction.
Old 01-06-08, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw a mention in the closed thread of HD DVDs last chance would be to get Disney to switch to even the market up again. I really, really, really hope they don't even try to do this. This is the closest we have gotten to getting 1 format. I think HD DVD is finished. I don't expect any change, other than Universal and Paramount releasing on BD.

But if Disney did switch to HD DVD, then HD media in general can kiss any chance of growth goodbye. It would cause massive doubt on those on the sidelines, which already had doubts. I don't want Toshiba to try and counter-attack. I want this damn thing over with.
Old 01-06-08, 04:06 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by jackson walker
Maybe the reason some of the postings are becoming more negative is that the shock of Friday's announcement is beginning to wear off, and some people just want to vent. It's a natural reaction.
They can vent on blogs or at another forum. Venting here just leads to bitterness and disagreements and people getting suspended or worse.

Mr. Cinema, I agree. The best thing at this point is for Uni and Paramount to go at least neutral, and have everyone focus on making BD the best it can be.
Old 01-06-08, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I saw a mention in the closed thread of HD DVDs last chance would be to get Disney to switch to even the market up again. I really, really, really hope they don't even try to do this. This is the closest we have gotten to getting 1 format. I think HD DVD is finished. I don't expect any change, other than Universal and Paramount releasing on BD.

But if Disney did switch to HD DVD, then HD media in general can kiss any chance of growth goodbye. It would cause massive doubt on those on the sidelines, which already had doubts. I don't want Toshiba to try and counter-attack. I want this damn thing over with.
I highly doubt Disney will switch. Better chance of a Robot Enslavement.
Old 01-06-08, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would still like to see a bigger push for standalone players this year. I don't want this to be a PS3 format, which is what is kind of is now.

It appears Panasonic's new DMP-BD50 is the first BD Live 2.0 player. Looks very close to my BD30, which I have been very happy with. I will probably not upgrade to another player unless it decodes DTS HD MA. I'm not sure if the BD50 will do that.
Old 01-06-08, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
They can vent on blogs or at another forum. Venting here just leads to bitterness and disagreements and people getting suspended or worse.

Mr. Cinema, I agree. The best thing at this point is for Uni and Paramount to go at least neutral, and have everyone focus on making BD the best it can be.
I think what will happen is we will hear from Paramount first announcing their BD support. I think that could happen in the next couple of weeks. Universal will follow, but being the only HD DVD exclusive since day 1, they may wait a bit longer to announce their plans.
Old 01-06-08, 04:17 PM
Banned by request

I would still like to see a bigger push for standalone players this year. I don't want this to be a PS3 format, which is what is kind of is now.

It appears Panasonic's new DMP-BD50 is the first BD Live 2.0 player. Looks very close to my BD30, which I have been very happy with. I will probably not upgrade to another player unless it decodes DTS HD MA. I'm not sure if the BD50 will do that.
I'm annoyed at Panasonic. The BD50 looks to be identical to the BD30, only with the additional specs necessary to make it 2.0. They could have easily included that stuff on the BD30 and charged the same price. Bad form.
Old 01-06-08, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Is there a reasonable Blu-ray player (pricewise) that I should be thinking about besides a PS3? I just bought a HD-DVD player from Amazon that I will return and want to go Blu-ray given recent events.
Old 01-06-08, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by neiname
Is there a reasonable Blu-ray player (pricewise) that I should be thinking about besides a PS3? I just bought a HD-DVD player from Amazon that I will return and want to go Blu-ray given recent events.
I would wait a bit. There's bound to be either an announcement of a lower cost BD player or new models which will push the price of existing models down.
Old 01-06-08, 04:53 PM

I think what will happen is we will hear from Paramount first announcing their BD support. I think that could happen in the next couple of weeks. Universal will follow, but being the only HD DVD exclusive since day 1, they may wait a bit longer to announce their plans.
Paramount's stuck with HD DVD for another year
Old 01-06-08, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not even considering how enthusiastic & dedicated Disney seems to be towards Blu, I just can't see them making a move to MS/HD DVD seeing as Steve Jobs (CEO of Apple) is the #1 share-holder in Disney, and especially not at this stage of the game.

As for Paramount & Universal going neutral, I'd just as soon they wait to go 100% Blu in order to get Blu encodes, not ported HD DVD encodes.
Old 01-06-08, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
GorillaX ,

How is that. Due to the changing climate, they could easily buy out the contract, if any. And there are probably safeguards in the contract as well, eluding to a situation where it would not be financially prudent to produce a product which will have a declining consumer base.
Old 01-06-08, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Between Paramount and Universal is there a guess to what % of the movie titles those 2 studios account for? Not just what has been released so far on any HD format, but for overall movies.
Old 01-06-08, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GorillaX
Paramount's stuck with HD DVD for another year
There are reports that Paramount's deal with HD DVD has an "out" clause, giving them the ability to go back to BD without any sort of legal action.
Old 01-06-08, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Technically, Universal has the largest catalog of any studio by a fairly large amount, but this is only because they essentially own the entire silent film era.
Old 01-06-08, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The word coming from CES, started by Phillip's Stewart Muller, is that Target is going to go Blu-Ray exclusive now.
Old 01-06-08, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wewantflair
Technically, Universal has the largest catalog of any studio by a fairly large amount, but this is only because they essentially own the entire silent film era.
Then let us take those movies out and focus on from 1940 till today.
Old 01-06-08, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Big Dave
Then let us take those movies out and focus on from 1940 till today.
They would still be easily top 3.
Old 01-06-08, 05:14 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by DthRdrX
The word coming from CES, started by Phillip's Stewart Muller, is that Target is going to go Blu-Ray exclusive now.
Wrong

Target will continue to carry the Xbox 360 HD DVD drive as well as HD DVD titles so we don't see much of a change in their plans to carry both formats. In fact, they continue to sell Toshiba HD DVD players on their website. Sony appears to have bought an end cap, just as HD DVD has in retail stores such as BestBuy and Circuit City.
Old 01-06-08, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was the one that mentioned this, but it is not something I hope happens. I agree with your comment above. It is now time for one format to take over.
Old 01-06-08, 05:17 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Samsung just announced the UP5500 Dual Player.
$599 MSRP. Second Quarter.

SAMSUNG INVITES NEWCOMERS INTO THE WORLD OF HD HOME ENTERTAINMENT WITH NEW DUO HD PLAYER Samsung's BD-UP5500 Offers the Convenience and High-Performance of Blu-ray and HD DVD Playback for First-time HD Consumers LAS VEGAS, January 6, 2008 - Samsung Electronics, a market leader and award- winning innovator in consumer electronics, introduces a new Duo HD disc player offering the ideal solution for those consumers new to the world of HD home entertainment. In addition to the Blu-ray and HD DVD playback capability found in the CES 2008 Innovation Award Honoree BD-UP5000, the next-generation BD-UP5500 is a fully functioning Blu-ray Bonus View player packaged in a slim and sleek cabinet design. Opening access to both HD formats for a wider consumer audience with this new Duo HD player, Samsung continues its commitment to developing products that make life simpler through its breadth of innovative technologies. Both the Samsung BD-UP5000 and BD-UP5500 Duo HD Players will be on display at booth #11033 during the International Consumer Electronics Show, held at the Las Vegas Convention Center, January 7 through 10. "With the excitement surrounding the launch of the BD-UP5000 in 2007, Samsung is equally excited to offer a next generation Duo HD player that gives consumers the convenience of enjoying both Blu-ray and HD DVD formats in one single HD player," said Reid Sullivan, vice president of Digital AV marketing at Samsung Electronics America. "By supporting the latest interactivity in both formats, both Samsung Duo HD players enhance the experience of watching home movies with access to bonus content, alternative camera angles and behind-the-scenes footage." Page 2 of 3 BD-UP5500 Duo HD Player Designed to invite both novices and aficionados into a world of vivid HD picture quality, Samsung's BD-UP5500 next-generation Duo HD player brings together the streamlined playback of both Blu-ray and HD DVD formats in one easy-to-navigate device. The HDMI 1.3 connection allows for expanded color and surround sound through one cable and CEC functionality enables users to effortlessly manage an entire home theater with only one remote. For added convenience, the BD-UP5500 features an easy-to-read display and direct touch controls. With the latest BD-Java and HD DVD interactivity available, the BD-UP5500 takes movies to new heights with interactive menus, innovative picture-in-picture settings, and in-line bonus content such as alternate camera angles, behind-the-scenes footage, director commentary and actor interviews. Additionally, using the BD-UP5500's ethernet connection, users can experience a broad array of immersive viewing options with numerous movies as well as download new firmware to easily upgrade the player's capabilities. For a true, cinema-quality experience at home, the BD-UP5500 supports the latest audio decoding. With 7.1-Ch PCM, DTS-HD High Resolution and Master audio, and Dolby TrueHD Bistream output via HDMI 1.3, the BD-UP5500 accurately reproduces every delicate nuance with lifelike precision, just as the directors intended. For those consumers who still want to enjoy their existing collection of DVDs and CDs, Samsung's BD-UP5500 is also a fully-functioning DVD and CD player. The BD-UP5500's minimalist 2.3-inch slim design and simple piano-black finish makes it the perfect complement to most HDTVs and will serve as the centerpiece to any media or living room. The BD-UP5500 will be available in the second-half of 2008.
Old 01-06-08, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD

Target will continue to carry the Xbox 360 HD DVD drive as well as HD DVD titles so we don't see much of a change in their plans to carry both formats. In fact, they continue to sell Toshiba HD DVD players on their website. Sony appears to have bought an end cap, just as HD DVD has in retail stores such as BestBuy and Circuit City.
where's that quote from? thanks
Old 01-06-08, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Wrong
You're wrong. Target is dropping all HD DVD software in the coming weeks. A memorandum has already been sent to certain Target employees. This is new information.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.