Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Warner, New Line, Paramount, Universal ... The Studios/Networks Thread - Part 2

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Warner, New Line, Paramount, Universal ... The Studios/Networks Thread - Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-08, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
OT, but Pioneer has announced a 9mm-thick KURO, with no measurable light coming from the black areas of the screen. WOW.
Old 01-06-08, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Batman Begins is supposed to come out on BD during The Dark Knight's theatrical release. I wonder if they will do a new encode for that now that they are BD only. Also, Superman Returns with TrueHD should start hitting store shelves at some point. It was previoulsy only available with the new Pioneer BD player, but from reading at AVS, once current stock of the old disc is gone, the new version should start showing up.
Superman Returns is definitely one I want to replace. That is one of my more problematic combos. Sometimes it works fine sometimes it freezes during the airplane rescue. I'll keep my eye out for the TrueHD version.
Old 01-06-08, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Here's the question: what are the significant changes for Profile 2.0 spec for Blu-ray compared to the Profile 1.1 spec, besides requiring 1 GB of local storage and Ethernet connectivity? I don't think many people will need that capability.

Because relatively few users will use BD Live, I expect most new players will be Profile 1.1 compliant, and the price of players will significantly drop over the course of 2008. In fact, a US$250 (suggested retail) player could become reality by late 2008, in my humble opinion. (People forget that up until 2002, prices of DVD console players remained quite high, with price floors in the US$250 range. It wasn't until early 2003 that the prices of players from the major manufacturers started to really drop; the Panasonic DVD-S35--which I bought in spring 2003--was a major breakthrough at its US$100 suggested retail price.)
Old 01-06-08, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RayChuang
Here's the question: what are the significant changes for Profile 2.0 spec for Blu-ray compared to the Profile 1.1 spec, besides requiring 1 GB of local storage and Ethernet connectivity? I don't think many people will need that capability.
That is the difference, in a nutshell. Add 1 GB of storage and Ethernet connectivity to a 1.1 machine, and it becomes 2.0. All of which would add, what, $20 to the cost of the player?

Originally Posted by Big Dave
I was asking more along the lines between Universal and Paramount, what % of the total "movie" market share do they own.
something like this?

DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
(People forget that up until 2002, prices of DVD console players remained quite high, with price floors in the US$250 range. It wasn't until early 2003 that the prices of players from the major manufacturers started to really drop; the Panasonic DVD-S35--which I bought in spring 2003--was a major breakthrough at its US$100 suggested retail price.)
Yeah, but Blu-Ray has competition besides HD DVD (and vice versa): DVD. You could not say the same thing about DVD.
Old 01-06-08, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If warner were only looking at sales, it seems to me that they would have waited until mid-year to make this movie.

Why? because there is no denying that HD DVD gained alot of ground over the holidays in player sales, the problem is alot of those players were not in peoples hands until Chirstmas. The only way to truly gauge what impact the holidays sales would have had is to wait atleast 3 months. There were alot of players sold, which would have meant more discs sold AFTER the gifts were received.

I am not complaining, I'm glad we are only going to have one format now. But it does prove to me, that SOMETHING had to be done to sway Warner this early in the year.
Old 01-06-08, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Indeed. WB saying they chose the format of choice, but the numbers weren't even decided yet. In addition, WB allowed only a few titles for their BOGO sales on Amazon and BestBuy. Makes me wonder why those HD DVD titles were not permitted to be in the sale. Was it because they were looking out for the consumer, or was it because they didn't want higher HD DVD sales numbers.
Old 01-06-08, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy
If warner were only looking at sales, it seems to me that they would have waited until mid-year to make this movie.

Why? because there is no denying that HD DVD gained alot of ground over the holidays in player sales, the problem is alot of those players were not in peoples hands until Chirstmas. The only way to truly gauge what impact the holidays sales would have had is to wait atleast 3 months. There were alot of players sold, which would have meant more discs sold AFTER the gifts were received.

I am not complaining, I'm glad we are only going to have one format now. But it does prove to me, that SOMETHING had to be done to sway Warner this early in the year.
According to Toshiba today at CES (if I'm reading the numbers right), they've sold 49% of all stand-alone HDM players. That number is considerably less than what was being reported/spun. If anything, it appears to me that they lost momentum in sales of stand-alone HDM players to BD and that the A2 fire-sales didn't have much of an effect on the big picture.
Old 01-06-08, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dyevin
something like this?

Thanks. So like someone else said before, about 1/3.
Old 01-06-08, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

But shouldn't that be a US-specific pie chart? Blu-ray titles are released in HD DVD outside the US. I'm not sure how many Blu-ray titles are on HD DVD, though.
Old 01-06-08, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Well today was a very humbling day for me. I went into Best Buy with my tail firmly entrenched between my legs and purchased a Blu-Ray player (Panasonic BD30). I vowed NEVER to support Blu-Ray due to how much I hate and despise the BDA, but after Warner got done writing on the wall Friday, I figure I may as well give in. I will continue to buy HD DVD's for as long as the format is around and even though I think there is still hope that the format can survive I have to agree with others who have said that it is now time to move on and embrace one format. I just wanted SO BADLY for that one format to be HD DVD

Last edited by Maxflier; 01-06-08 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-06-08, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
While I could maybe see unreleased titles getting new encodes, I wouldn't hold my breath for Warner to re-release titles. They're just not a big double dipper, and when they do it's usually with drastic changes. Adding lossless audio is hardly as significant as doing a restoration or a special edition with a new transfer for a title that had a barebones non-anamorphic DVD. The focus early on from all the studios is going to be on getting more titles out. We didn't see many DVD titles get double dipped until they started running out of big catalog titles.

If they do it at all, it will likely be in the form of new special editions also released on DVD, like with Full Metal Jacket or Troy. That would make Happy Feet a candidate, considering how lacking the extras were. However, I don't see them redoing The Phantom of the Opera or 300, which already had decent extras.
Old 01-06-08, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Because relatively few users will use BD Live, I expect most new players will be Profile 1.1 compliant, and the price of players will significantly drop over the course of 2008. In fact, a US$250 (suggested retail) player could become reality by late 2008, in my humble opinion. (People forget that up until 2002, prices of DVD console players remained quite high, with price floors in the US$250 range. It wasn't until early 2003 that the prices of players from the major manufacturers started to really drop; the Panasonic DVD-S35--which I bought in spring 2003--was a major breakthrough at its US$100 suggested retail price.)
I don't know if $250 is low enough for Blu-ray to be accepted by the mainstream. $200 is a psychological barrier ($199 seems so much more affordable than $200). For sales of BD to really kick in, it really needs cheaper players.

This isn't at all similar to the DVD overtaking VHS. Plenty of people, including myself, bought a DVD player for
Old 01-06-08, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Yeah, but Blu-Ray has competition besides HD DVD (and vice versa): DVD. You could not say the same thing about DVD.
But knowing that people paid such high prices for a dvd player during that time why are people pissing and moaning about 300-400 dollar players now with better technology. The same players that you would buy for 29-49 dollars today were the ones you would have paid hundreds of dollars for when dvd players hit the market.

Last edited by dsa_shea; 01-06-08 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-06-08, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dsa_shea
But knowing that people paid such high prices for a dvd player during that time why are people pissing and moaning about 300-400 dollar players now with better technology. The same players that you would buy for 29-49 dollars today were the ones you would have paid hundreds of dollars for a few years ago.
VHS to DVD = a hugh technological leap.
DVD to Blu-ray (or HD DVD) = improvement in a similar technology.

People were willing to fork over some money for a disc instead of tape.
Not as many people are willing to fork over same money for a better disc.
Old 01-06-08, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Again, looking at the market of HD players Toshiba did have the Blu-Ray camp beat on the price point but only with the basic 1080i models that have been available for over a year. their other models hover still around the pricepoint of many of the BD players on the market. I should know because in October I bought my HD-A30 for 350 bucks after using a 10% off coupon. Yes, I did get a few free movies, still waiting on them though, but the same holds for Blu-Ray players.
Old 01-06-08, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy

The answer is that WB probably felt it necessary to make a decision now so that Holiday sales in 2008 are as large as possible with hopefully a single format causing an explosion in BD player and software sales. The longer WB waits into 2008, the less likely that there is truly one formate by the next holiday season.
Old 01-06-08, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

WB did us all a favor by making this decision now. All decisions affect some people or groups negatively but in the end the decision was made with the best intention in mind.
Old 01-06-08, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Well my collection has changed I sold all of my WB HD's (minus current HD exclusives) on eBay, and made enough for a PS3 (there are a few games im interested in now), and $100 or so worth of Blu-Ray movies. So I'm neutral now!

I will admit most of the movies I wanted were on Blu, but for a while I did not want to support Sony's high priced PS3, even higher priced Blu standalone, and HD was just cheaper.

I still have plenty of HD Disc from Universal, Paramount, and a few WB. I plan to keep the A2, and if HD does die out, just give the player to my parents as an up converter for their Plasma, then convert the rest to Blu.

I would prefer HD to win, but I always said I just wanted nice High Definition movies, and would piss, moan, and then go get the other player. Now I have both, so hell with it, and see how the chips fall so to speak.
Old 01-06-08, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by dyevin
I wouldn't even include Weinstein in that considering that it's coming up on 7 months since their last HD DVD release.
Old 01-06-08, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stingermck
Well my collection has changed I sold all of my WB HD's (minus current HD exclusives) on eBay, and made enough for a PS3 (there are a few games im interested in now), and $100 or so worth of Blu-Ray movies. So I'm neutral now!

I will admit most of the movies I wanted were on Blu, but for a while I did not want to support Sony's high priced PS3, even higher priced Blu standalone, and HD was just cheaper.

I still have plenty of HD Disc from Universal, Paramount, and a few WB. I plan to keep the A2, and if HD does die out, just give the player to my parents as an up converter for their Plasma, then convert the rest to Blu.

I would prefer HD to win, but I always said I just wanted nice High Definition movies, and would piss, moan, and then go get the other player. Now I have both, so hell with it, and see how the chips fall so to speak.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...8&postcount=82

I posted that you sold them already as I checked out your auction. Shame you settled for $8 a disc.
Old 01-06-08, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
It would all be public domain now anyway. The companies like Kino handle that stuff.
Not all of it, only every film made before 1923 is guaranteed to be Public Domain. Anything after that year (excluding stuff that accidentally slip into the PD due to a mistake or something) now won't slip into the PD due to the automatic 20-year extension Congress gave to all copyrights back in 1998.
Old 01-06-08, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RoboDad
That is the difference, in a nutshell. Add 1 GB of storage and Ethernet connectivity to a 1.1 machine, and it becomes 2.0. All of which would add, what, $20 to the cost of the player?
Does that mean that the PS3, with its 40-80G hard drive and wireless connectivity (instead of Ethernet), would now be considered 2.0 compliant?
Old 01-06-08, 09:54 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Peep
Does that mean that the PS3, with its 40-80G hard drive and wireless connectivity (instead of Ethernet), would now be considered 2.0 compliant?
I don't think so, but I'm not sure why. I just read on another forum that Sony announced the PS3 will be made 2.0 compliant.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.