Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blade Runner- All 5 cuts in HD!

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blade Runner- All 5 cuts in HD!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-07, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Personally, I'd go with the International theatrical version first for a Blade Runner newbie, and then branch out to the other versions (perhaps the director's cut, and then the final cut, and finally the workprint cut). At least it would give you a sense of the historical debate in context (of seeing the versions as they came out in a chronological order).
Old 12-16-07, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have mentioned my trip in other threads. I just want say that I am in Shenzhen China for the next 3 weeks and THIS is as close to a Blade Runner reality as I have experienced. Advertising on ever inch of the buildings, advertising that is talking, rather dirty and grimy, hazy pollution/smog, LOTS of people,cars and predestrians fighting for the same space. It's wild.
Old 12-16-07, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
So for someone that has never seen this movie before...which version should I watch? I won't watch the other cuts for at least a few weeks...
Repeating what I wrote a wrote a few pages back for a similar question (with a minor change):

"As for viewing order, if you haven't seen the Final Cut, see that first, then watch the International Theatrical Cut (unless you can't stomach the [degree of violence in the Final Cut] and would prefer the US Theatrical Cut), then the Workprint."

I would highly recommend seeing the Final Cut, the way it was meant to be seen, first, especially if you're not going to watch any other versions for a few weeks. Patman's suggestion of chronological viewing is interesting, but only if you're going to view them in quick succession. I think first impressions are important, especially if you're going to let that first impression sink in on it's own for a while. I suspect that a lot of people who still prefer the Theatrical Cuts of this film do so simply because they saw that cut first and got used to it, thus the changes, to them, don't feel "right," regardless of whether they are qualitatively positive changes or not.

Also, if one would want to view the versions chronologically based on date of release, where the Workprint fits in would be problematic. One could successfully argue that the Workprint was released first, since it was the first version that was screened for the public, albeit only a very small section of the public. One could also argue for placing it after the Theatrical Cuts but before the "Director's" and Final Cut, since it had a limited theatrical release in the early 90s that was the inspiration for the later cuts.
Old 12-17-07, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
So for someone that has never seen this movie before...which version should I watch? I won't watch the other cuts) for at least a few weeks...
Final Cut --> Theatrical Cut --> Director's Cut --> International Cut

I chose this order because you'll more than likely see the differences as you go from each cut to the other.
Old 12-17-07, 03:51 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If you're only going to watch one cut first, see the Final Cut. That's the best representation of Ridley Scott's vision, and as he says, it's his preferred cut. It's also the best cut.

After that, I'd say watch the International Cut (you don't actually have to watch the U.S. theatrical once you've done this), then the Director's Cut, then the workprint.
Old 12-17-07, 03:55 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Final Cut it is then. I guess the changes are pretty significant then for these versions.
Old 12-17-07, 04:12 AM
Banned by request

The International and Theatrical only have a few seconds of footage that is different. The Director's Cut is a less polished version of what you get in The Final Cut. The Workprint, being a work in progress, is significantly different from any other versions. You will see the greatest differences going from The Final Cut to the International the the Workprint.
Old 12-17-07, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone's Blurays shipped from Amazon yet? All my other Blu/HD-Dvd's are now "shipping soon", except for Bladerunner. I hope this isn't another WB delay. Or I might just need to cancel it & re-order it. Sometimes that makes them go into shipping when they're just sitting. Unless they really don't have it.
Old 12-17-07, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by El Kabong
Has anyone's Blurays shipped from Amazon yet? All my other Blu/HD-Dvd's are now "shipping soon", except for Bladerunner. I hope this isn't another WB delay. Or I might just need to cancel it & re-order it. Sometimes that makes them go into shipping when they're just sitting. Unless they really don't have it.
Well, it's not released until tomorrow, so that's not that odd.
Old 12-17-07, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I suspect that a lot of people who still prefer the Theatrical Cuts of this film do so simply because they saw that cut first and got used to it, thus the changes, to them, don't feel "right," regardless of whether they are qualitatively positive changes or not.
I did watch the international theatrical cut first back in '98 followed by the director's cut. I like them both, although I lean towards the director's/Final cut. I think people sell the narration short though. It does give you some background on Deckard and the world he inhabits which is missing in the other cuts.
Old 12-17-07, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got this today!! Too bad I have to go to work. But tonight, I shall dig in. I like the double thick HD case.
Old 12-17-07, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Doughboy
I did watch the international theatrical cut first back in '98 followed by the director's cut. I like them both, although I lean towards the director's/Final cut. I think people sell the narration short though. It does give you some background on Deckard and the world he inhabits which is missing in the other cuts.
And this is the point that makes the whole discussion about viewing order fall to pieces.

You can't "un-know" something. If you've seen the early cuts, then you knew what you learned from the narration when you watched the later cuts.

People who haven't seen the early cuts don't have that benefit. They will experience the films entirely differently.

It's possible that it's a better way to experience the film. Likely, even, if you really believe in the "director's vision" argument.

But I'm not sure that I, as someone who saw the theatrical cuts (many times) first, am qualified to advise a newcomer, because *I* can't experience the Final without the experience being informed by the theatrical cuts. How can I know whether seeing it first is better?

I will be interested to see if newcomers who watch Final first are then illuminated by or confused by the narration in the Theatrical cuts. Whether the conclusions and impressions they formed are consistent with or conflict with information in the narration.

Personally, I have stayed away from the film for a while now, ever since the rumors of a Final Cut surfaced, hoping to forget as much detail as possible. That gets easier as I get older!
Old 12-17-07, 02:39 PM
Banned by request

Mine has been in "shipping soon" status since last night. I ordered the briefcase.
Old 12-17-07, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Mine has been in "shipping soon" status since last night. I ordered the briefcase.
I got an email from Amazon around 2PM EST saying my briefcase had shipped.
Old 12-17-07, 02:57 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I got an email from Amazon around 2PM EST saying my briefcase had shipped.
got my email at 3PM
Old 12-17-07, 02:59 PM
Banned

Mine shows shipping estimate of December 18, and delivery date of December 21 under the "items shipping soon" column.
Old 12-17-07, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts
Is there any difference in the extras of the HD-DVD version over the Blu ray one?
Old 12-17-07, 03:18 PM
Banned by request

No. The only difference is that the HD DVD has DD+ audio, while the Blu-ray has DD audio, but I'm willing to bet they sound exactly the same.
Old 12-17-07, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
No. The only difference is that the HD DVD has DD+ audio, while the Blu-ray has DD audio, but I'm willing to bet they sound exactly the same.
They're the same bitrate. The two sets are identical.
Old 12-17-07, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not sure if the DVD Beaver review of the HD-DVD Ultimate Set has been posted yet, but here it is. I can't wait to pick up the 5-disc HD-DVD version tomorrow and watch this on my new setup.
Old 12-17-07, 03:47 PM
Banned by request

I should have my review up later tonight.
Old 12-17-07, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just got shipping notice of my briefcase set.
Old 12-17-07, 04:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Yavin
Not sure if the DVD Beaver review of the HD-DVD Ultimate Set has been posted yet, but here it is. I can't wait to pick up the 5-disc HD-DVD version tomorrow and watch this on my new setup.
OMG! Those pics look fabulous! Wonder if baracine has seen them yet. That suit sure looks blue in those pics.

Supermallet, let us know if the suit looked blue on your setup. I guess I can put a please in there somewhere.

I am envious of all of you that get to watch this tomorrow. I have to wait until Christmas since the briefcase I have on order is actually one of my Christmas gifts.
Old 12-17-07, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Amazon
Production Delay: Due to production and shipment delays from the studio impacting all retailers, this title will not be available to ship by the street date indicated above. We are working with the studio to get this product in stock as quickly as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Grrr...
Old 12-17-07, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

From the thread in the DVD Talk forum, I thought that it was only the briefcase set (SD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD) that was affected by the delay. Is this correct? I am assuming the 5-disc Complete Collector's Edition HD-DVD and Blu-Ray will be available as expected tomorrow.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.