Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blade Runner- All 5 cuts in HD!

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blade Runner- All 5 cuts in HD!

Old 12-10-07, 06:51 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Reading, PA
Posts: 1,155
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blade Runner- All 5 cuts in HD!

I couldn't find anything on here about it, but I know I saw this on a fairly reliable site (Bits, DvdTown, or HighDef Digest) about 2 weeks ago. I've been looking for reviews or mention of this elsewhere, but I haven't seen it yet. It wouldn't surprise me since the 5-disc set is only $28 or whatever at Amazon. That would be really cheap for 5 Blurays/HDs. I was really, really looking forward to seeing the original version in HD, and am still hoping it's not true. Does anyone know?
Old 12-10-07, 06:55 PM
  #2  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,150
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was told by WB that all five cuts were in HD. I was at a dinner with Bill Hunt a few nights ago and he mentioned that all five cuts were in HD, and he's actually seen the set firsthand. So until a review comes out saying it's definitively not in HD, I'm going to assume that it is.
Old 12-10-07, 06:56 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 30,949
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Wait, what? I thought all 5 discs were either HD DVD/Blu-ray and not the standard 4 other DVD releases inside a different case with 1 Blu-ray/HD DVD copy...right guys?
Old 12-10-07, 06:58 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 30,949
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I was told by WB that all five cuts were in HD. I was at a dinner with Bill Hunt a few nights ago and he mentioned that all five cuts were in HD, and he's actually seen the set firsthand. So until a review comes out saying it's definitively not in HD, I'm going to assume that it is.
Seems like an expensive set that is going for way less then it should if it is 5 HD/BR discs. Why such a low asking price vs the $60-$70 most studios ask?

You had dinner with Bill? We need details!!!!!!!!
Old 12-10-07, 07:09 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
darkside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 19,847
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by El Kabong
I couldn't find anything on here about it, but I know I saw this on a fairly reliable site (Bits, DvdTown, or HighDef Digest) about 2 weeks ago. I've been looking for reviews or mention of this elsewhere, but I haven't seen it yet. It wouldn't surprise me since the 5-disc set is only $28 or whatever at Amazon. That would be really cheap for 5 Blurays/HDs. I was really, really looking forward to seeing the original version in HD, and am still hoping it's not true. Does anyone know?
I kind of fear this and hope its not true. Granted for the price I will be happy as long as the other cuts are good transfers and anamorphic.

I'm only going to watch the new cut once and go back to the international cut so I hope its HD.
Old 12-10-07, 07:14 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Reading, PA
Posts: 1,155
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bits just had a review for the SD set. They said they haven't gotten the HD sets yet. I just checked my usual sites & can't find it again. But unless I was hallucinating, I know I read it. I hope not, but I can't see them selling 5 HD discs for $5 each.
Old 12-10-07, 07:16 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
MBoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: AUSTIN - Land of Mexican Coke
Posts: 3,921
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This rumor came about at one point earlier in the year and was shot down on the Bits. Better not be true. The extras are in SD though.
Old 12-10-07, 07:21 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 30,949
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by El Kabong
Bits just had a review for the SD set. They said they haven't gotten the HD sets yet. I just checked my usual sites & can't find it again. But unless I was hallucinating, I know I read it. I hope not, but I can't see them selling 5 HD discs for $5 each.
Or 5 BR discs for $5 each either. Seems like they could easily sell this for $50-$60.
Old 12-10-07, 07:26 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
MBoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: AUSTIN - Land of Mexican Coke
Posts: 3,921
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe here is how it goes. HD for Final Cut and also for the International, Directors Cut, and Theatrical branching disc. And then SD for everything else (including the workprint because that's not been worked on at all.) Since the extras are confirmed in SD this might make sense.
Old 12-10-07, 07:27 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wild Wonderful...
Posts: 1,751
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just as long as the feature films arent in standard I'm onboard.
Old 12-10-07, 07:44 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 384
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
all five films (including the workprint) are in HD.. only the extras are in standard.

Jacob
Old 12-10-07, 08:21 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Reading, PA
Posts: 1,155
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, the other 4 versions are one disc and the other 3 are extras? And would the workprint even benefit from an HD transfer? Animatrix was considered an extra & was in SD. Maybe they consider all the other versions to be extras. Although reading the Bits review, they do think all but the 2 extras (disc 2 & 4) are in HD. maybe they thought a higher price wouldn't work since it is only one movie in the set & not a series or anything.
Old 12-10-07, 08:24 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Drexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 16,075
Likes: 0
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by El Kabong
maybe they thought a higher price wouldn't work since it is only one movie in the set & not a series or anything.
That's what I believe.
Old 12-10-07, 08:38 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 24,543
Received 304 Likes on 261 Posts
Originally Posted by JACOB
all five films (including the workprint) are in HD.. only the extras are in standard.

Jacob
This is what I have heard as well.
Old 12-10-07, 08:40 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: SP, Colorado
Posts: 5,344
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Back scan:

Old 12-10-07, 08:42 PM
  #16  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,150
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There you go.
Old 12-10-07, 08:44 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 30,949
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Nice!
Old 12-10-07, 09:05 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 18,876
Received 268 Likes on 200 Posts
According to the Digital Bits review:
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/review...lallver01.html

The BD and HD DVD versions are going to have BD or HD DVD discs for discs 1, 3, and 5, the discs with the movie versions on it, while discs 2 and 4, the discs with the SD extras, will be the same SD DVDs as in the SD DVD set.
Old 12-10-07, 09:15 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 30,949
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay G.
According to the Digital Bits review:
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/review...lallver01.html

The BD and HD DVD versions are going to have BD or HD DVD discs for discs 1, 3, and 5, the discs with the movie versions on it, while discs 2 and 4, the discs with the SD extras, will be the same SD DVDs as in the SD DVD set.
Ahh...well there we go. 3 HD/BR discs and 2 SD DVD.
Old 12-10-07, 09:38 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 30,949
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Beatboy from Amazon got the HD DVD version and can confirm all the above. Shiny artwork, but no slipcover :-(
Old 12-10-07, 09:57 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Drexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 16,075
Likes: 0
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Beatboy from Amazon got the HD DVD version and can confirm all the above. Shiny artwork, but no slipcover :-(
Beatboy getting the HD DVD version is like that Sportscenter commercial where David Ortiz puts on a Yankees cap.
Old 12-10-07, 10:02 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 30,949
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
Beatboy getting the HD DVD version is like that Sportscenter commercial where David Ortiz puts on a Yankees cap.
As someone else said, he will watch it for 5 minutes, call it lackluster, and sell it. The Blu-ray version will be amazing though

Regardless, he does show off pictures of it, which answers a lot of questions.
Old 12-10-07, 10:33 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I ordered Blade Runner from Warner so I guess I'll call it a 2008 release.
Old 12-10-07, 10:57 PM
  #24  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,150
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't you mean 2009?
Old 12-10-07, 10:57 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 53,733
Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts
You can only hope you get in 2008.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.