Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 20th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 09-02-24, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
The Discussion Thread / The List Thread / Theme + Subset List / The Checklist / TCM October 2024 Schedule / HalloweenMoviesOnTV Schedules / Sunday Night Trivia Question #1

BONUS DAY REMINDER: Your viewings from last month's Friday the 13th counts towards your list totals.

The 2024 Subset Discussion Threads Text Edition

The current progress of the Checklist is on post #154.

The Subset List w/ Physical Media and Streaming Guide is complete.

Theme Nights 2024 list is complete.

The subset discussion threads are complete.

The theme/subset table is coming soon.

Subset Volunteers - 24

IMDB Advanced Title Search

Horror Films by year starting 1895

Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 20th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-24, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 157 Likes on 105 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 20th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
We need a sacrifi... volunteer willing to report back on the questionable sequel of a "good Netflix original." It's true I'm probably being to hard on it.

Speaking of questionable Netix Original sequels I was disappointed in Sister Death (especially as a prequel to Veronica); Veronica is a smart intense urban ghost story and SD belabors a side character with an overly elaborate nunsploitation that is too slow burn and too stretched. I think Paco Plaza is a genius film maker but Sister Death might be one of his worst. (2021's The Grandmother many things he tried with Sister Death but much better).

I'm done being cranky and negative for now; really enjoying today's subset Queen of Spades.
I loved Queen of Spades! I was going to comment that most every theme movie has been really strong up to this point, with Queen being one of my favorites.

Regarding Netflix, I'm always commenting on the poorer quality of Netflix movies to my wife. Last night, we decided to watch the one about sharks in Paris. The tagline went something like, 'Hitting the top 10 in 100 countries the first week this movie has been out'. A movie about sharks in Paris cant be good, but it really tried. The body count was high and it was quite formulaic. They did make it timely, as they tied in a historic triathlon before the Paris Summer Olympics.

Eden Lake is a tough one. I remember showing that one to my wife last time it was on Shudder. I truly forgot about the ending , and she refused to watch anything horror related for like 2 months after that.

Last edited by WillieMLF; 10-07-24 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-07-24, 09:15 AM

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 20th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
That's awesome, I'm bushed but if it is still up tomorrow after work very possible I will give it an early preview!
thanks very much for posting this Ben.

I was excited to watch this, but quickly realized this is just a piss poor copy cat of the outstanding original Dutch film. I use the term copy cat vs reboot/remake for films like this and the new Salem's Lot because they are blow by blow copies of much better films. The point is economics of course, but why continue to churn out unoriginal films? Is there no creativity left in hollywood?
3.5/10
Old 10-07-24, 09:20 AM

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
It is nice to not be alone. She states that she just doesn't understand why I enjoy films that are dark, emotional and disturbing. She seems to carry those feelings with her for long periods after watching something like that description. Where I can pop on a Disney flick and enjoy it right after watching Martyrs (2008 version of course). Well maybe not Martyrs but you get my drift. I just move along to the next film and very few films actually stay in my psyche for long. If they do, then I know they are good!

And funny Midsommar was mentioned by you, numbercrunch. That is another movie that I think is brilliant and sticks to your bones and have considered showing her. Thanks for the reminder not to do it! haha

Midsommar was a first time watch for me and her at the time. She blamed me like I made the damn thing or knew it was gonna be disturbing in advance, lol
The following 3 users liked this post by numbercrunch:
Gobear (10-07-24), MysterioMan007 (10-07-24), Spiderbite (10-07-24)
Old 10-07-24, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 267 Likes on 160 Posts

to watch one movie with me a month, if that. Well, we went out for a little celebration dinner for my son, and we convinced her to watch a horror movie with us. I wanted something really scary but something I felt was tolerable...but again, still scary.

Well, I watched Talk To Me (2022)

I suck.
This reads like a post from the AITA subReddit. I vote NTA. You are not responsible for your wife's reactions. Maybe next time stick with Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein or The Ghost and Mr. Chicken or Phantom of the Paradise.

My husband won't sit down and watch movies with me, but if I have one on, he sometimes gets interested midway through.That's how he became a fan of Rosemary's Baby, which we watch every year now. I just got him hooked on the MGM+ show FROM, a show that is emphatically NOT for the squeamish.

Last edited by Gobear; 10-07-24 at 12:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bluelitespecial (10-07-24)
Old 10-07-24, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 198 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
This reads like a post from the AITA subReddit. I vote NTA. You are not responsible for your wife's reactions. Maybe next time stick with Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein or The Ghost and Mr. Chicken or Phantom of the Paradise..
Gonna challenge that, in the interest of a rabbit hole if nothing else. I'd still vote No but with a qualifier. It's reasonable to trust, if not expect, others to take into consideration what they know of us. That trust/expectation scales upward with the closeness of the relationship. In this context, Spiderbite was showing a movie he'd already seen to his wife, whose taste and standard reactions he already knew. The mitigating factor for me is that his memory simply failed him and the calculus he did when determining whether to pick that movie was based on faulty data. It's not ideal, but it happens. There was no malice here. He wasn't trying to slip one by her or mess with her. He was sincerely hoping he'd found some way of sharing his enthusiasm for Horror with someone he'd understandably want to share his enthusiasms. So he had the means and opportunity but not the motive and you need all three for guilt.

Also: I will not stand for Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein derision.
Old 10-07-24, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Travis McClain

Also: I will not stand for Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein derision.
I was in no way deriding a classic. Mrs. Spiderbite doesn't like graphic horror movies, so something lighter and comedic might work better for a family movie night. I love all of the Abbott and Costello movies and I own the box set, but you can't call them scary. The Universal monsters are spooky fun, but they have no bite.

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
He was sincerely hoping he'd found some way of sharing his enthusiasm for Horror with someone he'd understandably want to share his enthusiasms.. So he had the means and opportunity but not the motive and you need all three for guilt.
So you agree, NTA. It isn't like he decided to show A Serbian Film or Salò.

Last edited by Gobear; 10-07-24 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-07-24, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,498 Likes on 921 Posts

So you agree, NTA. It isn't like he decided to show A Serbian Film or Salò.
Those would probably cause divorce proceedings to commence.

I used to own A Serbian Film (bought it blind because I wanted to see what the hype was about) and got stuck with it for years because I couldn't sell it on eBay. I did revisit it a couple of times and understood the appeal, but it just wants for me. Finally sold it several months ago because I didn't want to somehow die, she finds that movie and puts it on out of curiosity and then wonders who the fuck was she married to all those years. I felt cleaner just by getting it out of the house even though the movie is dumb and fake as shit.

Did the same thing with Salo back in the early years of Criterion DVD but luckily it was much easier to unload.
Old 10-07-24, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was in no way deriding a classic. Mrs. Spiderbite doesn't like graphic horror movies, so something lighter and comedic might work better for a family movie night. I love all of the Abbott and Costello movies and I own the box set, but you can't call them scary.
Fair. Worth noting, though, is that Lugosi plays it entirely straight. It's a truly satisfying Universal Dracula story because of that. Chaney's Larry Talbot is in on the joke but his Wolf Man matches Lugosi's Dracula.

So you agree, NTA.
Yeah, I said at the beginning I'd still vote No but with that qualifier. I disagree with "You are not responsible for your wife's reactions." Would you agree that we are responsible for how we act? Accounting for probable reactions must surely be part of our decision making. Just to keep us on topic, stories in all genres and all mediums are built on the expectation they will provoke certain probable reactions. Hell, they're promoted on the basis that they will. Comedies are sold as the funniest thing you'll see all year; Action, the most exciting; Horror, the scariest. Horror filmmakers are fortunate because our backup reaction to not being scared is laughter. Every Horror fan I've ever known is as enthusiastic about the unintentionally funny films as they are the ones that scared them. Not a lot of, say, War film buffs with a ready list of unintentionally funny films in that genre that they love.
Old 10-07-24, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

BTW, I strongly recommend In a Violent Nature. The film's basic plot follows a group of foolish young adults who steal a locket from a fire tower, inadvertently unleashing the vengeful spirit of the locket's previous owner - the victim of a cruel prank. This entity then ruthlessly kills anyone who stands in the way of retrieving the stolen trinket. The movie blends the gory sensibilities of a Friday the 13th-style slasher with the stylistic flourishes of an art film, featuring stunning cinematography, lengthy tracking shots, and spectacularly bloody kill scenes. Unlike other genre films, here the story is shown entirely from the killer's POV until the final 20 minutes when it switches to the final girl.

Last edited by Gobear; 10-07-24 at 03:53 PM.
WillieMLF (10-08-24)
Old 10-07-24, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

BTW, I strongly recommend In a Violent Nature. The film's basic plot follows a group of foolish young adults who steal a locket from a fire tower, inadvertently unleashing the vengeful spirit of the locket's previous owner - the victim of a cruel prank. This entity then ruthlessly kills anyone who stands in the way of retrieving the stolen trinket. The movie blends the gory sensibilities of a Friday the 13th-style slasher with the stylistic flourishes of an art film, featuring stunning cinematography, lengthy tracking shots, and spectacularly bloody kill scenes. Unlike other genre films, here the story is shown entirely from the killer's POV until the final 20 minutes when it switches to the final girl.
I liked this more than I was prepared to. You do need a bit of patience, since it's not a particularly fast-paced movie. But I thought the filmmakers were able to generate a lot of suspense by flipping the POV to the killer. And it was an interesting choice at the end with the final girl:
Spoiler:
You're just waiting for a jump scare to happen. Either the killer to pop out of the woods, or some twist reveal from the older driver (like she's a relative). It never happens and the movie just ends. But by avoiding the cliche it worked better for me since it kept me on edge the whole scene. Fun trivia of the older actress ... she was one of Jason's kills from Friday the 13th Part II (the girl who was killed right before having sex with the guy in the wheelchair).
The following 4 users liked this post by brainee:
Gobear (10-07-24), MysterioMan007 (10-07-24), WillieMLF (10-08-24)
Old 10-07-24, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

I caught the new Salem's Lot too and it was ... ok. Hearing that it was a 3 hour movie cut down to 1:50 makes sense. The story goes from plot point to plot point without much time for the characters to develop. It looked good. There were some striking shots and I'm ok with the decision to deviate from the novel's ending to make things more visually exciting. But I don't think it improves on the 70's Tobe Hooper mini-series overall.
Old 10-07-24, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 561 Likes on 395 Posts

I went to my local library and was able to check out John Carpenter's The Fog on dvd. I mentioned in another thread ive never seen it or Christine which is on Peacock so I'm looking forward to watching both this week.
The following 4 users liked this post by Bluelitespecial:
Chad (10-07-24), Gobear (10-07-24), Toddarino (10-07-24), Trevor (10-09-24)
Old 10-07-24, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 375 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
That's awesome, I'm bushed but if it is still up tomorrow after work very possible I will give it an early preview!
Aw well, they seem to have caught it at some point before I got off work.
Old 10-07-24, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 583 Posts

I'd *never* watch *any* horror title with my wife. She does not like the genre in any shape, form, or fashion. I save classic comedy, detective, and mystery films from the 30s-50s for watching with her. Otherwise her tastes in movies and mine do not gel.
Old 10-07-24, 07:00 PM

Received 62 Likes on 31 Posts

Ok, I've now seen two recent(ish) movies with sisters named Mina and Lucy.... where on earth did they get those clever names??
Undeadcow (10-07-24)
Old 10-07-24, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Talk To Me 4K is $11.99 at Amazon currently
The following 3 users liked this post by SterlingBen:
Chad (10-07-24), Indy24LA (10-08-24), Undeadcow (10-07-24)
Old 10-07-24, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 948 Likes on 363 Posts

Today The Houses of Doom box set from Cauldron arrived and immediately I popped in The House of Clocks. Late era Fulci is always a crapshoot, but I was really surprised how good this was. Time travel mixed with Fulci dream logic is really something to behold. And all his signature styles including the gore was still intact, despite being a made-for-tv movie. I just wish he would stop constantly fucking with cats.

Spoiler:
The cat does eventually get its sweet revenge, FYI.
Old 10-07-24, 09:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Man this week has been chaos

I’ll be evacuating my home tomorrow for the storm but have plenty of downloaded walking dead, subset picks and other misc stuff to keep me busy if the kids let me.

iv been proud Iv kept up with all the daily picks so far and hit 25 today. Once I’m back in my home hopefully I’ll focus on the checklist and see if I can knock a good chunk out.

been having a blast revisiting some favorites like dead alive and watched Gutterballs today…forgot how long that intro scene goes on for 🥴
Old 10-07-24, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,498 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I went to my local library and was able to check out John Carpenter's The Fog on dvd. I mentioned in another thread ive never seen it or Christine which is on Peacock so I'm looking forward to watching both this week.
Lower your expectations for The Fog. It may help you enjoy it more. I have never understood the love or cult following for it. It is one of those I think can hurt if you go in with really high expectations for all the love it gets.

I have always had a soft spot in my heart for Christine. It was one of the first Stephen King books I ever read as a kid and it was, I believe, the first R-rated movie a friend and I rented on VHS way back around '86 or '87. I still enjoy it, but it has its own issues.
Old 10-07-24, 10:50 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 723 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Sterror

I’ll be evacuating my home tomorrow for the storm but have plenty of downloaded walking dead, subset picks and other misc stuff to keep me busy if the kids let me.

iv been proud Iv kept up with all the daily picks so far and hit 25 today. Once I’m back in my home hopefully I’ll focus on the checklist and see if I can knock a good chunk out.

been having a blast revisiting some favorites like dead alive and watched Gutterballs today…forgot how long that intro scene goes on for 🥴
Stay safe!
Old 10-07-24, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sterror

That's some hardcore dedication. Seems almost silly during this particular challenge to say it, but all the same: stay safe!
Gobear (10-07-24)
Old 10-08-24, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Besides Speak No Evil (which I'll have to also watch the original now), got some good advice from Reddit that I've watched the last two days:
Totally Killer
It's What's Inside (called what was going to happen BUT it is a bit hard to follow at times)
Nightbooks

Also stumbled upon Dream Scenario which was interesting.
Undeadcow (10-08-24)
Old 10-08-24, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 946 Likes on 606 Posts

I actually enjoyed the new Salem’s Lot. It’s possible that it’s because I had extremely low expectations and I watched it immediately following the 2004 miniseries.
I also can’t believe I’m saying this since everything is too fucking long these days, but I wish it was a tad longer. Everything seemed extremely rushed.
Old 10-08-24, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 561 Likes on 395 Posts

Lower your expectations for The Fog. It may help you enjoy it more. I have never understood the love or cult following for it. It is one of those I think can hurt if you go in with really high expectations for all the love it gets.

I have always had a soft spot in my heart for Christine. It was one of the first Stephen King books I ever read as a kid and it was, I believe, the first R-rated movie a friend and I rented on VHS way back around '86 or '87. I still enjoy it, but it has its own issues.
I watched The Fog last night and thought it was very good. Really great in terms of atmospheric horror and I loved the John Carpenter Score. Im probably going to watch it again to pickup on the little details I missed. I also checked out Black Christmas (2019) from the library. That will probably be my only Christmas movie I'll have on my list and the only movie I'll be hate watching.
MysterioMan007 (10-08-24)
Old 10-08-24, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hootie Tootie Disco Cutie is stuck in my head! Leave me alone Greasy Strangler!
The following 3 users liked this post by SterlingBen:
Darkgod (10-09-24), Undeadcow (10-08-24), WillieMLF (10-08-24)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.