The 17th Annual Sci-fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 17th Annual Sci-fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Old 07-03-24, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 518 Posts
Re: The 17th Annual Sci-fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by LJG765
Ugh, moving is such a hard job. Good luck with it and your movie watches!

Watched Minority Report and A Matter of Life and Death yesterday. Minority Report was okay. Watchable but nothing I really would watch again, but at least I crossed it off the list. A Matter of Life and Death was not bad though. I've never heard of it before seeing it on a icheckmovies list and when I saw it was available on Youtube, saved it for a maybe watch (It is in the public domain from what I've seen). It stars David Niven and is about a WW2 British pilot who jumps out of his plane without a parachute and lives because it was too foggy for Death to find him. Has some themes about love and if everyone really hates the British. Other than a bit of preachiness at the end, it was entertaining. It's half b&w and half Technicolor which is used very well.
I really like Minority Report though it helps that I really like the work of Philip K Dick and the story.. It's one of my favorite films from Spielberg and my favorite SF film from him (I can barely tolerate the rest of his "SF" output). It's also a favorite Tom Cruise movie (in all fairness I'm not too fond of him either though I like more of his output than Spielberg's).
Old 07-03-24, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I really like Minority Report though it helps that I really like the work of Philip K Dick and the story.. It's one of my favorite films from Spielberg and my favorite SF film from him (I can barely tolerate the rest of his "SF" output). It's also a favorite Tom Cruise movie (in all fairness I'm not too fond of him either though I like more of his output than Spielberg's).
I'm not a huge fan of Tom Cruise as a person but his acting is usually pretty good. I liked the plot of it but just didn't get drawn into it fully. It's a bit too long maybe? Maybe if I had seen it closer to when it was released, I'd have a more favorable opinion? It's not awful, just not great either. I'm with you about Spielberg though. I'm not a huge fan of his Sci-Fi movies either.
The following users liked this post:
BobO'Link (07-03-24)
Old 07-04-24, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Remind me: how are we counting TV shows, like House of the Dragon (an hour plus) and The Twilight Zone (half hour with commercials)? Also, trying to figure how to count episodes of something like documentary series on Shudder. Any help is appreciated.
LJG765 (07-04-24)
Old 07-04-24, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by popcorn
Remind me: how are we counting TV shows, like House of the Dragon (an hour plus) and The Twilight Zone (half hour with commercials)? Also, trying to figure how to count episodes of something like documentary series on Shudder. Any help is appreciated.
Depends on how you want to count them. I, personally, just use a 1:1 counting method. Everything counts as one. The older method counts 2-1 hour shows/line? Something like that, with shorts needing to count up to 60/90 minutes per line. But honestly, since I don't do prizes anymore, it really doesn't matter. I could probably even take out the line saying that watch lists have to be numbered but I kind of like that so it makes my end of the challenge stat post easier to do.

So, if you want to count the shows 1:1 you can, or if you want to count them 2:1 you can as well. However you'd like!
The following 2 users liked this post by LJG765:
popcorn (07-04-24), shadokitty (07-05-24)
Old 07-04-24, 05:16 PM

Received 93 Likes on 66 Posts

Dang, this challenge is one of my favorites and it totaly crept up on me. Anyway, I am here now and ill try and catch up. Unlike the Horror challenge, there is no daily subset pick, correct?
LJG765 (07-04-24)
Old 07-04-24, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
Dang, this challenge is one of my favorites and it totaly crept up on me. Anyway, I am here now and ill try and catch up. Unlike the Horror challenge, there is no daily subset pick, correct?
Welcome back! You still have plenty of time left to get a lot of watches in. You're correct, no daily subset pick, just the checklist. Please let me know, if you do the checklist, if you have any additions or changes you feel might work for next year.

Last edited by LJG765; 07-04-24 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-04-24, 05:30 PM

thx. are we trying to get to 100?
Old 07-04-24, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thx. are we trying to get to 100?
If you want...we're pretty laid back here. I generally try for one watch a day, others try for 100, some try to complete the checklist, others are just interested in making their unwatched list shrink. In the past, the number of watches could get you an extra entry in the prize drawing, but I haven't done prizes in a few years, so it's more about your personal goal how many watches you try to get in.
numbercrunch (07-04-24)
Old 07-04-24, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Since it was the 4th of July today, I decided to watch Independence Day. I have to admit I may never have fully watched it before. I've seen bits and pieces here and there, but never the full thing. So at least I've corrected that!

But I really came here to comment on the subtitles. As I get older, I use them a whole lot more than I ever thought I would. Honestly, my hearing is still pretty good, but I've noticed mumbling, too much background noise covering voices, stuff like that and subs just help make sure I'm not missing something important.

But the real reason I'm typing this is that sometimes I'm very amused by what is written (sometimes, though not in this particular movie, I'm not so amused at how awful they are.) "Sirens wail incessantly." On screen, I hear about 2 seconds of sirens. I feel like incessantly might not have been the best choice in this instance.
Old 07-05-24, 12:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

This is my first try at this...Still learning what to do but I am just jazzed to be on the show!
The following 2 users liked this post by 4kLowedown:
Gobear (07-06-24), LJG765 (07-05-24)
Old 07-05-24, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by 4kLowedown
This is my first try at this...Still learning what to do but I am just jazzed to be on the show!
Welcome! I hope you enjoy your first sci-fi/fantasy challenge! If you haven't already, check out the opening post which has most of the details you'll need. Nothing too exciting, but it does have the link for the list post if you need it (it should also be pinned at the top of the forum as well). There are also links to last year's challenge if you're wondering how people set up their lists.

Feel free to ask any questions here if you have them and anything you want to share about what you're watching. As long as it has a sci-fi or fantasy tag (if in doubt, check imdb or ask here), it'll count. You also have up to 3 wildcards for things you think should count but don't for whatever reason.

If you're up to it, you might want to look at the checklist. It's looks big but it's really not too bad and it's can help you find something to watch if you need some inspiration. It's not required at all, but a lot of us enjoy trying to complete it (and we do get some people able to do a blackout which is pretty cool.)

And if you find you like joining us for challenges, I also host next month's Animation challenge. July 31st-Dawn August 1 counts as double-you can get credit for both challenges as long as it's animated sci-fi/fantasy.
Old 07-05-24, 12:58 AM

thanks!

The checklist looks daunting, but I have it saved and I am listing what I watch in word. For the checklist, can one film count for multiple things? For example, you can check it on the decade, director, and actor for one entry...
LJG765 (07-05-24)
Old 07-05-24, 12:59 AM

Independence Day is my favorite movie...I watched the theatrical cut and special edition today.
The following 3 users liked this post by 4kLowedown:
lisadoris (07-05-24), LJG765 (07-05-24), popcorn (07-06-24)
Old 07-05-24, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thanks!

The checklist looks daunting, but I have it saved and I am listing what I watch in word. For the checklist, can one film count for multiple things? For example, you can check it on the decade, director, and actor for one entry...
Don't feel intimidated by it! It's all for fun and if you don't complete it, you still had some good watches! I haven't finished it myself several times in the past (the actor and the director sections will get me every time!). In the past, there used to be prizes, but I haven't done that in a few years. Finishing the checklist would get you an entry into the prize drawing, so now it's just for fun.

Also, note that to be considered "finished" you only have to fill in some of each section. For example, there are 12 decades to watch total, but you only need 6 of them to be considered finished.

And it's up to you if you want a movie to count for multiple items. Here's my list for this year: here. I generally try to use one movie per section (so for Independence Day, I counted it for Decade, winning an Oscar, and sub-genres/alien invasion. If it was open on my checklist, I could also use it for rating and action/adventure sub-genre. Usually for actors, I make an exception and if more than one actor is in a movie and on the checklist, I'll count them all. I have occasionally used the same movie multiple times within each category if it counts. Also, some people will also only use 1 movie for one item in the entire checklist to make it harder/more challenging.

You could totally ease into the checklist and use one movie for as many checks as it qualifies for and if you're finding it too easy, you could only use one per section?
Independence Day is my favorite movie...I watched the theatrical cut and special edition today.
I really enjoyed it. I'm not certain why it's taken me so long to watch the whole thing. I've have seen the ending several times and it still makes me sad about Russell! I don't know that I'll make this a regular viewing each year, but I'll definitely be watching it again at some point.

Also, since you watched both versions of it, it counts twice on your watched list. Watching a movie, then watching it with commentary would also count as a 2nd watch (or 3rd in your case if you watched it that way as well).
Old 07-05-24, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 175 Likes on 132 Posts

I just finished watching the Ultraman episode, 'Cry Of The Mummy' from disc 2 of the Mill Creek set and found another Toho tie in. The studio that made the show must have had a close association with Toho Studios. First, there was Eiji Tsuburaya, the special effects wizard in the world of suitmation. Second, the monster Jirass that I mentioned previously, which I saw yesterday. Finally, in the episode I just finished, the scientist who guest starred in the episode was the Japanese official who was being interviewed by the news outlets in King Kong vs Godzilla. I recognized him immediately, as he has a very distinctive face. And even his body language as well.
LJG765 (07-05-24)
Old 07-05-24, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by LJG765
But I really came here to comment on the subtitles. As I get older, I use them a whole lot more than I ever thought I would..
They are obligatory for everything i watch now. Subtitles can become addictive. I turn it on for almost everything.
LJG765 (07-05-24)
Old 07-05-24, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 518 Posts

This morning I watched Meet Joe Black (1998) in a first time viewing. I'd purchased the release solely for the bonus film, Death Takes a Holiday (1934), the release included (which at the time had only a MOD DVD release), and had put off watching the "main" feature for a few years. I've watched the "bonus" film a couple of times since the purchase. Meet Joe Black is almost *three* hours long! And it *felt* longer. Anthony Hopkins did a good job, Brad Pitt was... serviceable but nothing special. And that's my opinion of the film... serviceable but nothing special. I've seen it and in the future will watch Death Takes a Holiday instead.
LJG765 (07-05-24)
Old 07-06-24, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If anyone is interested and gets the Heroes & Icons channel, I discovered last night while channel surfing that H&I is doing a 'Rod, White and Blue' Twilight Zone marathon all weekend. Besides the half hour episodes, the hour long season, as well as the The New Twilight Zone reboot from the 80s are included. I watched the episode 'Little Girl Lost', where the daughter of a couple was trapped in the fourth dimension.
LJG765 (07-06-24)
Old 07-06-24, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Welcome and good luck!!!
Old 07-06-24, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They are obligatory for everything i watch now. Subtitles can become addictive. I turn it on for almost everything.
I was watching the original The Invisible Man and I automatically tried to turn on the subtitles. It's a given with me since DVD days (a feature back then). I even got one of those closed caption goosenecks for a Christopher Nolan movie. LOL. I got concerned when the subtitles wouldn't turn on. ON A 4K!!! Came to find out that it was finally time to change my batteries on my remote. LOL
LJG765 (07-06-24)
Old 07-06-24, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

thanks!

Just for the record, the checklists are completely optional. They are fun ways to add breadth to the viewing, but they can be ignored.
Old 07-06-24, 05:42 PM

I finally got around to watching 1974's Phase IV ant takeover movie. I really liked it. I cant believe it escaped my attention as a child of 70s films. Does anyone have the vinegar syndrome 4k and if so do you recommend it?
shadokitty (07-06-24)
Old 07-06-24, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm doing something I haven't done in forever, and never really completed. Watching Star Trek TOS, original effects. Eighteen episodes in and they've gone to the "All powerful god being" four times already. Where No Man Has Gone Before, Charlie X, Squire of Gothos, and Arena. Always hated those episodes. At least the last one was the Gorn epsidode.
Old 07-06-24, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I finally got around to watching 1974's Phase IV ant takeover movie. I really liked it. I cant believe it escaped my attention as a child of 70s films. Does anyone have the vinegar syndrome 4k and if so do you recommend it?
I don't, though I remember watching the movie growing up as it periodically got played on a Canadian channel that always did an afternoon matinee. I also discovered today when I made a Kanopy account that it is available through my library system.
Old 07-06-24, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
I'm doing something I haven't done in forever, and never really completed. Watching Star Trek TOS, original effects. Eighteen episodes in and they've gone to the "All powerful god being" four times already. Where No Man Has Gone Before, Charlie X, Squire of Gothos, and Arena. Always hated those episodes. At least the last one was the Gorn epsidode.
There are good ones in there, though...season three was not my favorite of them and I think TAS is a better season than 3. But I'd re-watch them at some point.

Re-watching the original The Fly tonight. Vincent Price is one of my favorite classic actors so he's always worth watching. I will also stand by the fact that the original movie is the best and that the Jeff Goldblum one is not great!
The following 2 users liked this post by LJG765:
BobO'Link (07-07-24), shadokitty (07-06-24)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.