The 17th Annual Sci-fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 17th Annual Sci-fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Old 07-07-24, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 146 Likes on 101 Posts
Re: The 17th Annual Sci-fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
I'm doing something I haven't done in forever, and never really completed. Watching Star Trek TOS, original effects. Eighteen episodes in and they've gone to the "All powerful god being" four times already. Where No Man Has Gone Before, Charlie X, Squire of Gothos, and Arena. Always hated those episodes. At least the last one was the Gorn epsidode.
I'm watching TOS as well and I find myself skipping a few episodes including most of the god episodes (though I watched Charlie X since it was the first). I watched Trouble with Tribbles yesterday and that never gets old.
Old 07-07-24, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 518 Posts

I'm doing something I haven't done in forever, and never really completed. Watching Star Trek TOS, original effects. Eighteen episodes in and they've gone to the "All powerful god being" four times already. Where No Man Has Gone Before, Charlie X, Squire of Gothos, and Arena. Always hated those episodes. At least the last one was the Gorn epsidode.
I'm also not too fond of the "All powerful God being" episodes. "Charlie X" is my least favorite of those you listed and "The Squire of Gothos" reminds me of TNG's "Q" - another I hate see show up. IMHO, it's all just lazy writing with, mostly, cop out type endings. At least they're better than "Miri."
Old 07-07-24, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LJG765
There are good ones in there, though...season three was not my favorite of them and I think TAS is a better season than 3. But I'd re-watch them at some point.

Re-watching the original The Fly tonight. Vincent Price is one of my favorite classic actors so he's always worth watching. I will also stand by the fact that the original movie is the best and that the Jeff Goldblum one is not great!
I mostly like the Goldblum version for its upgrade of the premise and rather gruesome vfx but the original is absolutely the best - no contest. I'll likely watch the original this month as I don't have all that many "new" titles this time out.

I've already gone to the "archives" and pulled several favorite classics for rewatching this year with a couple last night - Invasion of the Body Snatchers and Fantastic Voyage. I enjoy the remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers with Donald Sutherland (one of a small handful of remakes I endorse) but the original is my all-time favorite of that one. I've loved Fantastic Voyage since first seeing it in the theater during its original outing.
Old 07-07-24, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 190 Likes on 132 Posts

July's not a good time for me to watch lots of tv. But every month is sci-fi/fantasy to me, and I figure I'll watch at least 30 things without even trying I'm also in the middle of a couple great sci-fi VR games: Red Matter 2 and Half Life: Alyx. And working my way through a 1000+ page sci-fi epic (Peter F. Hamilton's Pandora's Star).

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
I finally got around to watching 1974's Phase IV ant takeover movie. I really liked it. I cant believe it escaped my attention as a child of 70s films. Does anyone have the vinegar syndrome 4k and if so do you recommend it?
I was a child of 70s films too. Although this one was a little above me when I was a kid (expecting monster ant action). I didn't appreciate it until rewatching much later. Hopefully you were able to see the restored "lost" original ending (it's on YouTube). If not ... watch it now!

I bought TOS on 2 different formats (DVD and Blu Ray) and still haven't watched most of them . And I'm still catching up with "new" Trek. I finished season 2 of Picard and the latest season of Lower Decks last month. Never watched Discovery though. Outside of watching the 1st episode way back, which didn't really grab me.

Last edited by brainee; 07-08-24 at 12:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
LJG765 (07-08-24)
Old 07-08-24, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I mostly like the Goldblum version for its upgrade of the premise and rather gruesome vfx but the original is absolutely the best - no contest. I'll likely watch the original this month as I don't have all that many "new" titles this time out.
The gruesomeness is mainly why I don't like the film. Saw it once and that was enough for me.

Had a good watch day today. Was home alone and no other plans. Watched both the original King Kong and the 2005 version. 2005 is good but way too long, though not as bad as I thought it'd be. Not a first time viewing for either but I couldn't tell you the last time I saw either of them.

Watched a couple Disney films that helped the checklist. I usually try to save animation for the double credit day at the end of the month, but I wanted some shorter films after that 3 hour King Kong.
Old 07-08-24, 02:30 PM

Received 100 Likes on 39 Posts

I was on vacation for the first week of the month -- didn't do much watching at all, and what I did was mostly driven by whatever my nieces and nephews wanted to watch -- but I have a bunch of stuff slated for the rest of the month. Just started a re-watch of Farscape; we'll see how much of that I get through in the next few weeks. Off to post my list in the other thread...
LJG765 (07-08-24)
Old 07-08-24, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 175 Likes on 132 Posts

Last night I recorded Thor: Ragnarok after scanning the Dish Guide for the evening and watched it after getting home from a doctor appointment this afternoon. Some of the MCU movies are hit and miss in my opinion, but I still enjoy them nonetheless. This being the case, I had never really sat down and watched it before. It definitely fell under the better spectrum with it basically being Thor turned up to 11. Kicking off the movie with Immigrant Song playing as he battled Surtr and at the final battle as well was an awesome touch. In addition, Jeff Goldblum did a terrific villain, but his personality was still very much Jeff. And of course there was the ever present Stan Lee cameo on the war world.
Old 07-08-24, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by alyxstarr
I was on vacation for the first week of the month -- didn't do much watching at all, and what I did was mostly driven by whatever my nieces and nephews wanted to watch -- but I have a bunch of stuff slated for the rest of the month. Just started a re-watch of Farscape; we'll see how much of that I get through in the next few weeks. Off to post my list in the other thread...
Welcome back! Still a lot of time to go to get watches in.
Old 07-08-24, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Last night I recorded Thor: Ragnarok after scanning the Dish Guide for the evening and watched it after getting home from a doctor appointment this afternoon. Some of the MCU movies are hit and miss in my opinion, but I still enjoy them nonetheless. This being the case, I had never really sat down and watched it before. It definitely fell under the better spectrum with it basically being Thor turned up to 11. Kicking off the movie with Immigrant Song playing as he battled Surtr and at the final battle as well was an awesome touch. In addition, Jeff Goldblum did a terrific villain, but his personality was still very much Jeff. And of course there was the ever present Stan Lee cameo on the war world.
I just watched Thor: Love and Thunder this afternoon myself and would agree about how some Marvel movies are hit and miss. This one, loved the music...they definitely leaned into the Guardians of the Galaxy vibes in the beginning. Christian Bale is the bad guy in it and does really well. It's silly in parts, especially the beginning, but once you get into it, it gets better. It's been a while since I've seen Ragnarok, but I think Goldblum did a good job too.
shadokitty (07-09-24)
Old 07-09-24, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just upgraded my TV from 42" to 49" - I'm astounded at how much larger that "little" difference in size is! I absolutely know I'll manage to work in Peter Jackson's "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy this year just for that and it's a new BR copy I purchased some time back so that's another plus.

Anyway... first film I watched on the new set was the BR of The Giant Behemoth (1959). Cheesy fun, that one and pretty much a copy of The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms. And its viewing means I've now watched the 3 BR upgrades of the films in the "Cult Camp Classics - Vol. 1: Sci-Fi Thrillers" from Warner Brothers. The other two are Attack of the 50 Foot Woman and Queen of Outer Space. All three are titles I've upgraded during the past year not realizing when making the purchases that they originally appeared in that "Cult Camp Classics" box set.
The following 2 users liked this post by BobO'Link:
LJG765 (07-09-24), mrcellophane (07-09-24)
Old 07-09-24, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just upgraded my TV from 42" to 49" - I'm astounded at how much larger that "little" difference in size is! I absolutely know I'll manage to work in Peter Jackson's "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy this year just for that and it's a new BR copy I purchased some time back so that's another plus.

Anyway... first film I watched on the new set was the BR of The Giant Behemoth (1959). Cheesy fun, that one and pretty much a copy of The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms. And its viewing means I've now watched the 3 BR upgrades of the films in the "Cult Camp Classics - Vol. 1: Sci-Fi Thrillers" from Warner Brothers. The other two are Attack of the 50 Foot Woman and Queen of Outer Space. All three are titles I've upgraded during the past year not realizing when making the purchases that they originally appeared in that "Cult Camp Classics" box set.
Nice! I hope it does well for you for LotRs too! I haven't watched Attack of the 50 Foot Woman this challenge, but I did watch Attack of the 50 Foot Gummi Bear.
Old 07-10-24, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I watched Solaris tonight for the first time. I'm still not sure if I liked it or not. It was interesting and depressing and odd.

Decided to go the exact opposite with my next movie with Brendan Fraser's Journey to the Center of the Earth. I actually kind of like it though the 3D elements are a little too noticeable in 2D. You know exactly the shots they did for the big "ooh" moments. I did see it in the theater and enjoyed the 3D aspects, but home viewing isn't worth wearing the paper glasses.

I realized yesterday that I was pretty close to finishing the checklist so did a little figuring and made a list for me to follow to finish it up. I just have 8 movies to go!

How is everyone else's challenge going? Getting some good watches in? Making headway on the check list if you're working on it?
The following 2 users liked this post by LJG765:
BobO'Link (07-11-24), mrcellophane (07-11-24)
Old 07-11-24, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Solaris (1972) takes a couple of viewings but, yeah, it can be depressing and *is* a bit on the odd side. It's also superior to the 2002 remake.

I really need to update my checklist. I've only put in the more obvious stuff and have let the more "research based" items slide. I kind of feel like I'm making decent progress with it even though I'm not really giving it much effort.

I'm doing a bit better than I expected. We just about wore outselves out with the move. The old house is ~1.5 miles from the new so we hired movers for the "big" stuff and are doing the "little" things in drips and dribbles using our cars. This week it's slowed to almost nothing being done (and my back is quite grateful). Some days it looks/feels like there's a ton of stuff left and others like it's just a few hours a day for a week to get it all. In reality it's somewhere in between. At least 50% is already boxed so that helps. We've used the down time productively as we've done more unpacking and setting up at the new house. I'm down to only 11 of the Sterilite 32 quart totes (Target link) to index and that project is completed (currently have ~80 indexed). I started using those totes for my media as shelving was out of the question (too many units needed and not enough wall/floor space for them). The totes are perfect - they hold 80-110 DVDs or BRs each (less with TV series but far more discs due to packaging). I label the tote with a indexing number (media type based) and put that in the database for the title. All I have to do is go to the dedicated room where they are stored and pull that tote to get something. I really works well and is fairly space and cost efficient.
LJG765 (07-11-24)
Old 07-11-24, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 83 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
How is everyone else's challenge going? Getting some good watches in? Making headway on the check list if you're working on it?
My challenge is going well. I was visiting friends last weekend for games and to attend a couple of plays, but I'm no track to get around 50 views which is my unofficial goal. I've continued my rewatch of Babylon 5 and finished the second season yesterday evening. I also started watching Infinite Ryvius, an anime series I've had sitting unwatched on my shelf for many years. The first couple of episodes were good so I'm eager to continue.

My favorite new watch so far is The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm. I watched the Smilebox version released by Warner Brothers Archive Collection, and it looks fantastic!
LJG765 (07-11-24)
Old 07-11-24, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've had poor wifi for most of the month so far, but I'm still managing to get some good watches in. The point is I'm still enjoying what I do get in, so that's a good thing.
LJG765 (07-11-24)
Old 07-11-24, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks like Shelley Duvall passed away from diabetes complications (according to imdb, at least). I'll add her name for next year.

Also, if you're an ALF fan, Benji Gregory passed last month too.

Wonder who'll be the 3rd as they tend to happen in 3s.
Old 07-11-24, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I've had poor wifi for most of the month so far, but I'm still managing to get some good watches in. The point is I'm still enjoying what I do get in, so that's a good thing.
That is a good thing! I've had a few years where it's been a struggle to get watches in, especially if the movies just aren't engaging.
shadokitty (07-11-24)
Old 07-12-24, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For the "Watch a movie and its remake" check I went with Island of Lost Souls (1932) and The Island of Dr. Moreau (1996) watching them back-to-back, something I've never done before. That was primarily due to having upgraded my DVD of the latter to a BR in the past few months. The viewings just showed how inferior the 1996 remake actually is compared to the 1932 version (which Wells reportedly disliked very much). I still like the 1996 film and have always thought it was better than its low 4.6 IMDB ranking, giving it roughly a 6/10, though watching the 2 films back-to-back really brought out the flaws in that remake. There's just no holding a candle to that 1932 film which is far more terrifying, disturbing, and engrossing. Considering my rewatch ratio on the 2 films is roughly 3:1 in favor of the 1932 film you'd think I'd have already noticed the issues with the 1996 film.

I also own a copy of the 1977 film (DVD) with Burt Lancaster and Michael York. I'm thinking I need to get that one out for a viewing as it's ranked higher on IMDB than the 1996 film. I've never been much of a fan of Lancaster so rarely watch that version.
LJG765 (07-13-24), mrcellophane (07-12-24)
Old 07-12-24, 08:35 PM

Received 100 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm doing pretty well on both my list and the checklist, though I need to go update.

This weekend is Blobfest. If I go see everything on offer, I'll rack up viewings of both The Blobs ('58 and '88), Beware! The Blob, and Creature from the Black Lagoon (in 3D). Rewatches all, but that's okay. (I was going to skip B!TB -- certainly there are worse movies out there, but I didn't feel the need to pay money to rewatch this one. But then they announced it will feature live riffing by several MST3K people, so I'm going after all. )
The following 2 users liked this post by alyxstarr:
BobO'Link (07-13-24), LJG765 (07-13-24)
Old 07-13-24, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wouldn't call it an award winning movie by any stretch of the imagination. Last night while channel surfing however, I did knock out Pixels from my to watch list. Even though I could see that it was a bad movie, I still enjoyed it and thought it was not only a good popcorn flick, but it was able to poke fun at itself. If there were any doubt that it was only meant to be mindless fun, Kevin James as the President of the United States would have been a dead giveaway. Plus Peter Dinklage was a bonus anyway, because I always enjoyed him on Game Of Thrones.
LJG765 (07-13-24)
Old 07-14-24, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was putting in the checklist items for having watched Time Bandits and checked Robin Williams off as an actor in the film. Oops!!! That appearance is in The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, also a Terry Gilliam film (likely why I got ahead of myself there). Fixed!!! BUT - it *did* make me want to pull my copy of that one and give it a viewing as it's a favorite.
LJG765 (07-14-24), mrcellophane (07-15-24)
Old 07-14-24, 06:39 PM

Received 93 Likes on 66 Posts

im doing pretty good with watches and the checklist considering i started 5 days late. Finally watching Battlestar Galactica 1978. Its been a hot minute since i watched it.
The following 2 users liked this post by numbercrunch:
BobO'Link (07-15-24), LJG765 (07-14-24)
Old 07-15-24, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Managed to watch The Two Towers yesterday. Took a while as I kept getting interrupted for various things (moving more stuff from the old house, firing up the grill for supper, Scotch Guarding the lawn furniture cushions...). I finally got it all in and at least I was able to pause things at opportune times in the story for those chores.

Quite often with rewatches of films I find myself doing other things while the movie's playing - especially those I've seen dozens of times. Not so with the Lord of the Rings films. I typically watch these with no interruptions. I *am* finding it easier to watch them on different days than do a all-day marathon like I've generally done in the past. With the extended versions of the 3 films, even excluding credits, that's a long day of movies, clocking in at roughly just over 10 hours (over 11 if you let the credits roll). While I own copies of the theatrical versions of the series, on DVD & BR, I've never watched them as I vastly prefer the extended versions.

I'm debating as to whether or not to watch the Hobbit films. I own new BR upgrades of those in theatrical and extended versions. My debate hinges on the simple fact that that series feels bloated, even with the theatrical versions, as it encompasses far more material than was in the book. While I like seeing things from the LOTR appendixes, the inclusion of that material seems to hamper the simple story of The Hobbit so I'm still on the fence on that one.
LJG765 (07-15-24)
Old 07-15-24, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Managed to watch The Two Towers yesterday. Took a while as I kept getting interrupted for various things (moving more stuff from the old house, firing up the grill for supper, Scotch Guarding the lawn furniture cushions...). I finally got it all in and at least I was able to pause things at opportune times in the story for those chores.

Quite often with rewatches of films I find myself doing other things while the movie's playing - especially those I've seen dozens of times. Not so with the Lord of the Rings films. I typically watch these with no interruptions. I *am* finding it easier to watch them on different days than do a all-day marathon like I've generally done in the past. With the extended versions of the 3 films, even excluding credits, that's a long day of movies, clocking in at roughly just over 10 hours (over 11 if you let the credits roll). While I own copies of the theatrical versions of the series, on DVD & BR, I've never watched them as I vastly prefer the extended versions.

I'm debating as to whether or not to watch the Hobbit films. I own new BR upgrades of those in theatrical and extended versions. My debate hinges on the simple fact that that series feels bloated, even with the theatrical versions, as it encompasses far more material than was in the book. While I like seeing things from the LOTR appendixes, the inclusion of that material seems to hamper the simple story of The Hobbit so I'm still on the fence on that one.
I'm glad you got to them! How's the new TV looking with Two Towers? I often multi-task too when it's a movie I've seen before as well. There's a couple that grab my attention no matter what, but overall, I find myself needing something for my hands to do if it's not a new to me film.

The Hobbit is a tricky one. I really like the first movie but I think they could have easily made the 2nd and 3rd into one movie. Am I remembering right that it was supposed to just be 2 but they decided on 3 during filming at some point?
Old 07-15-24, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 83 Likes on 49 Posts

My birthday was Friday, and I typically celebrate by marathoning some favorite movies to celebrate. I was celebrating with family on the actual day, so the next day I sat down and watched three favorites. First was The Little Mermaidwhich was the next film I needed to watch for my Disney rewatch project. (I'm watching all of the Disney Animated Features in release order.) It's one of the best of the Disney canon and features one of the best rosters of Disney sidekicks. In an age of complicated children's films, it's nice to see how elegant the storytelling is in this movie. Next up was Jurassic Park, one of my favorite blockbusters. Then I finished up with The Seventh Seal which is one of my favorite Ingmar Bergman movies. All three are perfect movies. No notes.

On Sunday, it was my pick for my weekly Movie Night with friends, and I decided to show Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow which is not a perfect film, but seems made in a lab to make me happy. Thankfully, my friends also enjoyed it (despite their dislike of Gwyneth Paltrow).
The following 2 users liked this post by mrcellophane:
BobO'Link (07-15-24), LJG765 (07-15-24)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.