Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pre-Horror Challenge 19: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 07-10-23, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Theme/Subset List / The Checklist / TCM Oct 2023 Schedule / Trivia Question #1 / Trivia Question #2 / Trivia Question #3 / The Ghana Giveaway

Theme Nights 2023 list is complete.

The Subset 2023 List w/ Physical Media and Streaming Guide is complete.

The current progress of the Checklist is on post #148.

The Discussion Thread is UP.

Subset Volunteers - 25

IMDB advanced title search

Horror Films by year starting 1895

Print Wikipost

Pre-Horror Challenge 19: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-23, 04:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 19: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Some suggestions…

Cast:

Kelli Maroney
https://www.imdb.com/filmosearch/?ex...b_type=actress (15 titles)

Robert Forster
https://www.imdb.com/filmosearch/?ex...job_type=actor (13 titles)

Diana Prince (Darcy the Mail Girl)
https://www.imdb.com/filmosearch/?ex...b_type=actress (27 titles)

Composer:
Charlie Clouser
https://www.imdb.com/filmosearch/?ex...&genres=Horror (16 titles)

John Debney
https://www.imdb.com/filmosearch/?ex...&genres=Horror (10 titles)

Producer:
Sam Raimi
https://www.imdb.com/filmosearch/?ex..._type=producer (38 titles)

Trope:
Town with a dark secret:
https://letterboxd.com/whateverbbjan.../genre/horror/
https://letterboxd.com/omwfeeling/li.../genre/horror/
https://www.imdb.com/search/keyword/...&genres=Horror

Film that begins in media res:
https://www.imdb.com/search/keyword/...&genres=Horror (25 titles)
https://letterboxd.com/fkafrozecavem.../genre/horror/ (10 titles)

Shrine
https://www.imdb.com/search/keyword/...&genres=Horror (35 titles)

Peephole
https://www.imdb.com/search/keyword/...&genres=Horror (84 titles)

Featured in one of the In Search of Darkness documentaries
https://letterboxd.com/hotsake/list/.../genre/horror/
The following users liked this post:
jholmes (08-29-23)
Old 08-29-23, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Received 1,128 Likes on 653 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 19: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Diana Prince is in real movies?
Old 08-29-23, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 890 Likes on 349 Posts

The list thread is UP.

The following 4 users liked this post by Chad:
Darth Maher (08-29-23), jholmes (08-30-23), Trevor (08-30-23), Undeadcow (08-30-23)
Old 08-30-23, 02:46 PM

Received 236 Likes on 164 Posts

Does anyone know where to find the Job Bob version of Friday the 13th 6: Jason Lives (1986)?
I have the movie itself, but since Joe Bob is the theme, I'd love to watch the Joe Bob version. But it's not anywhere streaming that I can find.
Old 08-30-23, 05:45 PM

Received 109 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jholmes
Does anyone know where to find the Job Bob version of Friday the 13th 6: Jason Lives (1986)?
I have the movie itself, but since Joe Bob is the theme, I'd love to watch the Joe Bob version. But it's not anywhere streaming that I can find.
I just snagged a copy of the Monstervision ep to put up with the rest of the subset films.
The following 6 users liked this post by alyxstarr:
Gobear (08-31-23), jholmes (08-30-23), mallratcal (08-30-23), Spiderbite (08-31-23), SterlingBen (08-30-23), Undeadcow (08-31-23) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-30-23, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by alyxstarr
I just snagged a copy of the Monstervision ep to put up with the rest of the subset films.
You are the BEST!

Last edited by jholmes; 09-05-23 at 01:16 PM.
Gobear (09-12-23)
Old 08-31-23, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Received 1,128 Likes on 653 Posts

For anyone participating in the horror watch roulette giveaway that starts tomorrow, titles are up! https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/6...-roulette.html
The following 4 users liked this post by IBJoel:
Spiderbite (09-01-23), Trevor (08-31-23), Undeadcow (08-31-23), WillieMLF (08-31-23)
Old 09-03-23, 03:03 PM

Suggestion on the Director category:

It seems like it's hard not to suggest the biggies because they have been used before, probably multiple times. On the other hand, it's not much fun to get stuck with 4-5 directors who are all super obscure and don't have any *objectively* (or subjectively) decent films.
We have a "recently deceased" and a "female director" items which remain each year. (which is great). How about a "horror director icon" option that carries forward each year? For example, this list names the 10 best horror movie directors. 10 Greatest Horror Movie Directors Of All Time – Page 10 (whatculture.com) This particular list includes Tobe Hooper, John Carpenter, Wes Craven, Fulci, Argento, Roger Corman, Del Toro, Sam Raimi, Chronenberg, Romero. It doesn't have to be that list, just *a* list, even one OHMC makes up. In the same way that Cushing, Karloff, Price, etc are on the actor list every year we could have some classic directors that carry forward every year. Then we can have some other specific names on the list that change every year that are newer/less well known. Just a thought!
The following 5 users liked this post by jholmes:
alyxstarr (09-04-23), Chad (09-04-23), Trevor (09-03-23), Undeadcow (09-05-23), WillieMLF (09-05-23)
Old 09-04-23, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by jholmes
Suggestion on the Director category:

It seems like it's hard not to suggest the biggies because they have been used before, probably multiple times. On the other hand, it's not much fun to get stuck with 4-5 directors who are all super obscure and don't have any *objectively* (or subjectively) decent films.
We have a "recently deceased" and a "female director" items which remain each year. (which is great). How about a "horror director icon" option that carries forward each year? For example, this list names the 10 best horror movie directors. 10 Greatest Horror Movie Directors Of All Time – Page 10 (whatculture.com) This particular list includes Tobe Hooper, John Carpenter, Wes Craven, Fulci, Argento, Roger Corman, Del Toro, Sam Raimi, Chronenberg, Romero. It doesn't have to be that list, just *a* list, even one OHMC makes up. In the same way that Cushing, Karloff, Price, etc are on the actor list every year we could have some classic directors that carry forward every year. Then we can have some other specific names on the list that change every year that are newer/less well known. Just a thought!
I like this idea!!

Or, as an alternative to a general "horror director icon" item, we could have a "stable" of such directors (ongoing list of 10 or 15), from which maybe 3 at a time are chosen to go on a given year's checklist. Or something like that. So still ensures the checklist changes every year, but seeds the director list with a few choices that are more likely to show up on many people's lists anyway/perhaps deserve more frequent call-outs, a la the actor list.

Really, Chad has been excellent about keeping the director list fresh each year -- there are 6 directors who have been on the checklist 3x each, 24 who have made the cut 2x, and 65 who have been used only once. So I personally feel like there's some room to use a few of the "biggies" a little more often!
Chad (09-06-23)
Old 09-05-23, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by alyxstarr
I like this idea!!

Or, as an alternative to a general "horror director icon" item, we could have a "stable" of such directors (ongoing list of 10 or 15), from which maybe 3 at a time are chosen to go on a given year's checklist. Or something like that. So still ensures the checklist changes every year, but seeds the director list with a few choices that are more likely to show up on many people's lists anyway/perhaps deserve more frequent call-outs, a la the actor list.

Really, Chad has been excellent about keeping the director list fresh each year -- there are 6 directors who have been on the checklist 3x each, 24 who have made the cut 2x, and 65 who have been used only once. So I personally feel like there's some room to use a few of the "biggies" a little more often!
A great adjustment! It looks like Chad added this already to the checklist for this year at least. Thanks, Chad!
I'm trying to finish getting my ducks in a row. I have the last 50 films I still need to see to complete the They Shoot Zombies list slotted in and the subset films. I left a few slots open for checklist items that I can't fulfill with any of my selections. Almost ready to go.
Chad (09-06-23)
Old 09-07-23, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So I got a little sidetracked regarding the checklist and haven't exactly been barreling through it, but it's slowly getting there. Allowing for some extra breathing room is one of the many reasons those changes were made last year.

But keep those suggestions coming - as far as cast/crew entries go we still need actor, director, composer, makeup effects artists and writer suggestions. And the same goes for any suggestions below those, just throw whatever you have out there, whatever it may be.

If some suggestions weren't used, it's because I'm trying to give never before used entries priority while being very selective with the previously used ones in regards to the amount of time that's passed. Barbara Crampton is one that was added despite being previously used twice, but she was paired alongside someone else in both instances, and the last time was 9 years ago.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chad:
jholmes (09-09-23), Undeadcow (09-08-23)
Old 09-12-23, 02:43 AM

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts

Guillermo del Toro for writing (10 movies)
Old 09-12-23, 04:05 AM

Darren Lyn Bousman, Jeff Bur or William Castle for director
Old 09-12-23, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 219 Likes on 145 Posts

Here are some more checklist personality suggestions.
Thank you.

Spoiler:
Old 09-12-23, 10:12 PM

Three more composer suggestions: Fabio Frizzi, Chuck Cirino and Riz Ortolani.
Old 09-12-23, 11:02 PM

for the checklist:
takes place on an island
takes place in the jungle
takes place in a police station
Watche 3 films that you've never seen before that:
has a scene in an elevator
Old 09-12-23, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a question I've been meaning to ask for ages.

On the IMDB 'Movies or TV' section adding one or two options is a breeze. Adding three is doable, but requires fast hands. Adding four requires lightning fast reflexes, but it's possible. Adding more than four requires superhuman reflexes. What's the secret?

Old 09-13-23, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Chad

On the IMDB 'Movies or TV' section adding one or two options is a breeze. Adding three is doable, but requires fast hands. Adding four requires lightning fast reflexes, but it's possible. Adding more than four requires superhuman reflexes. What's the secret?
Spoiler:

In Google Chrome on PC with the IMDB Advanced Title Search page it seems to allow all the time one could use to make whatever selections necessary.
IMDb: Advanced Title Search - IMDb

I don't recognize the screen you've posted but IMDB's method/device/page/mix to have awfully poor optimization (???).

Last edited by Undeadcow; 09-13-23 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-13-23, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
In Google Chrome on PC with the IMDB Advanced Title Search page it seems to allow all the time one could use to make whatever selections necessary.
IMDb: Advanced Title Search - IMDb

I don't recognize the screen you've posted but IMDB's method/device/page/mix to have awfully poor optimization (???).
Yeah, Advanced Title Search is definitely my preferred method. But I was referring to doing it directly from the person's main IMDB page to save a few steps. It's changed a bit since the page redesign with little improvement, but In the upper right hand corner you click 'all topics' followed by 'by genre' under the credits section. It literally only gives you a couple of seconds to make your selection(s) which is beyond frustrating.
Undeadcow (09-13-23)
Old 09-13-23, 10:48 PM

To be honest, I usually just live with filtering by two or three title types at a time. But I do a lot of fiddling with IMDb URLs for other kinds of searches, so you could definitely do it here too. Basically you figure out what they call each title type in the filmography search/filter (which is, frustratingly, different from what they call them in the title search) and then edit the URL to include all of them, with a comma (or encoded value %2C) between each one. So if you want to include feature films, tv movies, tv mini-series, and videos, you'd have this at the end of your URL:

&title_type=movie%2CtvMovie%2CtvMiniSeries%2Cvideo

When I'm doing a lot of filmography searches -- like when I'm making my plan for the checklist -- I usually set up my filter how I want it (genre, job type, title type), use a separate tab to search on each person to get their IMDbID, and then come back to my properly-filtered tab to sub that in the URL So like you could start with this for Christopher Lee's roles as an actor in horror movies/tv movies/mini-series/videos:

https://www.imdb.com/filmosearch/?ex...&genres=Horror

...and then just change nm0000489 to nm0001637 to see Vincent Price's roles with the same filters.
Chad (09-14-23)
Old 09-14-23, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Thank you! I had a feeling tinkering with the URL would produce something useful, but didn't want to delve into a potential time killer. And I don't think I've ever used anything beyond those four. Video is usually the odd man out since it sometimes just contains disc featurettes and shorts.
Old 09-17-23, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was also gonna say if anyone wants to go down the rabbit hole with me of finding assigned dates for themes join right in.

A few recently added...

Sharktober for Jawsploitation on 10/1, which runs throughout the month.

Scream of the Demon Lover's Italian release for Gothic on 10/8.

The TCM Underground showing of Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me for the 30th anniversary last year on 10/14. And TCMU premiered on Friday 10/13/2006, so it's fitting we have it the next day considering the other spot's taken.

Chucky, The Notorious Killer Doll Day is 10/25, and was perfect for the 'Killer Inanimate Objects' part of the mashup.

And let's not forget the $350,000 lawsuit Bert I. Gordon filed against American-International on 10/25/60, but due to the aforementioned killer doll that spot was taken. Thankfully Variety published the article on the next day, which is why the 10/26 spot was used.

Unfortunately a few unusable ones...

Intestinal Parasite Awareness Month for Parasite, Sleep Month for Sleep and National Book Month for The Horror Show Guide. Monthly themes are only good for the 10/1 spot and that's taken. 10/1 is also National Book It! Day.

The Giallo International Film Festival would have been great for Giallo day, but 2021 was its last year.

There's still quite a few to go, and this year's list is proving to be a tough one.
Old 09-18-23, 11:28 AM

I was also gonna say if anyone wants to go down the rabbit hole with me of finding assigned dates for themes join right in.
Here are some suggestions:
October 2 - Meta or Horror Show Guide, Bud Abbott (of Abbott & Costello) was born on 10/2/1895 so that might work for Meta (seemingly Abbott & Costello were pretty meta for their time; Abbott & Costello are also in the Horror Show Guide list).
October 2 - Anthology, The Twilight Zone tv series debuted on 10/2/59.
October 3 - Teen or Slasher/Killer, Neve Campbell (from Scream series, The Craft) was born 10/3/73 so might work for Teen theme (assuming we see Scream at a 'teen' based horror series).
October 4 - Vampire/Werewolves, Anne Rice (of Interview With a Vampire fame) was born on 10/4/41.
October 7 - Extreme/Banned, Screaming Mad George (known for surreal gory special effects) was born on 10/7/56; 10/7/56 is also weirdly the exact same day David Hess (Last House on the Left fame) died.
October 9 - International/Passport, Guillermo Del Toro (Mexican writer/director/producer) was born on 10/7/64; 10/9/86 was the Italian release date of Demons 2;
October 23 - Zombie, Sam Raimi (wirter/director/producer originating with Evil Dead) was born on 10/23/59; also Manuela Velasco who starred in [Rec] series was born on 10/23/75.
October 24 - Meta, John Kassir (voice actor famous as The Cryptkeeper from Tales of the Crypt) was born on 10/24/57; also Raul Julia (who played Gomez Addams in the meta leaning Addams Family films) died on 10/24/94.
October 25 - Turner Classic Movies Underground, Vincent Price died on 10/25/93 of lung cancer (to be honest I don't know how much overlap there actually is but Price seems in the TCM Underground wheelhouse).
October 28 - Anthology, Joe R Lansdale was born on 10/28/51 (author adapted in Creepshow; Masters of Horror; Love, Death, & Robots; etc); Michael Dougherty (writer/director of pop culture anthology hit Trick R' Treat, among others) was born on 10/28/74.

This looks like a pretty great source:
Horror History: OCTOBER Birthdays & Anniversaries - (mysteriotheatre.com)

Last edited by Undeadcow; 09-18-23 at 12:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Undeadcow:
Chad (09-18-23), Dimension X (09-18-23)
Old 09-18-23, 11:37 AM

I don't have date suggestions, but here are a few for the remaining checklist holes:
COMPOSER -
Paul Sawtell - IMDb (lots of older horror movies)
Christopher Young - Christopher Young - IMDb

ACTOR:
Max Von Sydow (8) - All Max Von Sydow Horror Movies - ALL HORROR

Old 09-18-23, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 464 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
October 25 - Turner Classic Movies Underground, Vincent Price died on 10/25/93 of lung cancer (to be honest I don't know how much overlap there actually is but Price seems in the TCM Underground wheelhouse).
Seconded. I was going to post this suggestion (although I didn't have anything to tie it to).

It's hard to believe it's already been thirty years.

Last edited by Dimension X; 09-18-23 at 01:08 PM.
Undeadcow (09-18-23)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.