Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 19th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 08-26-23, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Theme/Subset List / The Checklist / TCM Oct 2023 Schedule / Trivia Question #1 / Trivia Question #2 / Trivia Question #3 / The Ghana Giveaway

Theme Nights 2023 list is complete.

The Subset 2023 List w/ Physical Media and Streaming Guide is complete.

The current progress of the Checklist is on post #148.

The Discussion Thread is UP.

Subset Volunteers - 25

IMDB advanced title search

Horror Films by year starting 1895

Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 19th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 10-07-23, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,147 Likes on 701 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 19th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

I watched a movie for the first time that I cannot believe I hadn't seen before - Rawhead Rex (1986). What a fun little movie!

The creature looks great and has a fantastic design but unfortunately only has one facial expression which hurts it a lot. Some great kills with some humor mixed in.

And tell me another movie where you can see a priest enjoying getting pissed on by an 8-foot-tall monster in a graveyard? Woah!

Really surprised this never had a sequel or an update.
The following 2 users liked this post by Spiderbite:
Undeadcow (10-07-23), WillieMLF (10-07-23)
Old 10-07-23, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 19th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

It's hard to think of a double feature more different than what I watched tonight: Disney's Haunted Mansion and Beau is Afraid.
The following users liked this post:
jholmes (10-07-23)
Old 10-07-23, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I said I would post some of my recently framed (and maybe not so recent) prints that are horror related.

Here is one of my newest and best looking ones. I took the lobby cards/miniature posters and booklet that came with my Classic Monsters BD set (that I believe I actually one on here several years ago) and then took the bonus Alex Ross picture from his Universal Monsters set and combined them all. Also picked out an antiquey looking frame.

I bought the Alex Ross Universal Monsters Variant print set several years ago and just now got around to putting the money up to get them all framed. This was the one I spent the most on. The others just got standard black frames but still look really good.

If you like seeing these, I will post some more here and there.

The following 13 users liked this post by Spiderbite:
Chad (10-07-23), Crocker Jarmen (10-07-23), Gobear (10-07-23), Indy24LA (10-07-23), jacob_b (10-07-23), jholmes (10-07-23), mallratcal (10-07-23), mrcellophane (10-07-23), MrTerrific (10-07-23), Surfinhank (10-07-23), Toddarino (10-09-23), Undeadcow (10-07-23), WillieMLF (10-07-23) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-07-23, 10:22 AM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Excited for tomorrow. There's 5 different horror films playing in theaters and I was able to get everything lined up with about an hour and half dinner. Love AMC with the 3 free movies a week membership and then 30% discount on early movies.

When Evil Lurks 11:10, 1:55, 4:40, 7:30, 10:20 (1 hour 40 mins)
The Exorcist: Believer 10
The Nun 2 11:05, 1:55, 4:50, 7:45, 9:20, 10:40 (1 hour 50 mins)
Saw X 12:50, 4:00, 6:15, 7:00, 8:45, 10:10, 10:50 (2 hours)
A Haunting in Venice 11:55, 2:40, 5:25, 8:10, 10:55 (1 hour, 43 mins)
Wow -- talk about a marathon! How fun. I haven't even heard of When Evil Lurks. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the films. I'll probably see them all eventually, but, where we live, we rarely go to the cinema.

Also disappointed to hear the negative comments about Pet Sematary: Bloodlines. I was planning to watch it in the next few days.

We watched Haunted Mansion (2023) last night on Disney Plus and I enjoyed it. It's definitely a sillier family film, but the cast is great and they put a lot into it. And Jamie Lee!

Old 10-07-23, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 756 Likes on 492 Posts

The movies at the drive-in were a bit of a mixed bag. It Lives Inside was decent, seemed to have the potential for more, but was ultimately fairly run of the mill. You could certainly do far worse this challenge.

Next up was the new Exorcist. Meh. It probably isn't as bad as you're expecting it to be. Early on, I was actually finding myself really into it, but then it gradually seemed to lose me. There were some good ideas and moments, the performances were all pretty strong, but it ultimately was fairly mediocre. I'd still probably rank it as the third best of the series, but that's really not saying much when it comes to this series.

We still had fun, though. We always do. I'm hoping they get some other horror titles there before the month runs out. I guess this is going to be my franchise day. I did the two Terrifier movies (after doing All Hallows' Eve yesterday) and am getting ready to put on Final Destination 2 (after watching the first yesterday). Not sure if I'll have time today for Sole Survivor, but that's on deck as well.
Undeadcow (10-07-23)
Old 10-07-23, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
Watching Totally Killer on Prime and seriously enjoying it so far. Kind of like Halloween meets Back to the Future. Just not as good as those. But still fun.
This was a good bit of fun. That's the same lady who was the lead in Blackcoat's Daughter.
Old 10-07-23, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 756 Likes on 492 Posts

And just like that, my plans possibly change. A couple of friends are coming over. This may interfere with my Final Destination plans. Could someone please clarify today's theme? It's pretty much anything counts, right? If I have to push Final Destination 2 to tomorrow, the Terrifier movies would count for theme, right?
Old 10-07-23, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm gonna re-watch Batman: The Doom That Came to Gotham (2023) tonight and I thought I'd list the other Batman/DCAU horror animated films (not counting sundry shorts), to see if I can pique anyone's interest. There's actually a fair amount available and they're all pretty good.

DCAU
Justice League Dark (2017)
Batman: Gotham by Gaslight (2018)
Constantine: City of Demons - The Movie (2018)
Batman: The Long Halloween (2021) (Two parts)

Can't forget about the granddaddy of DC animated horror:

The Batman
The Batman vs Dracula (2005)

The following 4 users liked this post by coyoteblue:
MysterioMan007 (10-07-23), shadokitty (10-08-23), Trevor (10-08-23), Undeadcow (10-07-23)
Old 10-07-23, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Want to watch a movie where Captain Kirk fights Oddjob and Shatner chews every piece of scenery as you cry "What the fuck just happened" constantly?

Then Impulse (1974) is your movie.
jholmes (10-08-23)
Old 10-08-23, 12:34 AM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

If anyone is looking for a William Castle film, I really enjoyed I SAW WHAT YOU DID (1965). It's very light and a nice break from the harder core stuff I've been watching. It's b&w and almost feels like a Patty Duke episode at first, with two tween girls pulling pranks. But it gets dark once the MURDERS start happening (duh duh DUH). Joan Crawford is in it, and she's all desperate cougar-ish and it feels like she's in a totally different movie. But it was fun it you like vintage stuff. I figure it also counts for fog and hagsploitation.
The following 2 users liked this post by jholmes:
Spiderbite (10-08-23), WillieMLF (10-08-23)
Old 10-08-23, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts

If anyone has Playstation Extra, The Quarry is a freebie until Oct 17th. It's pretty much an interactive horror movie (it's from the team that made Until Dawn a few years ago). There's even a "movie theater" mode which minimizes action button sequences. It's a short game (should take around 9-10 hours) so there's time to finish even starting now.

I'm just about done chapter 7 (of 10 total chapters). Though I'm mad I just got the only character killed who I wanted to survive
Spoiler:
RIP Abby (Ariel Winter) It's worse in that I think the game pulled a dirty trick. All the tutorials made it sound like you had until the end of the on-screen timer to make decisions. There was a sequence where she was supposed to fire the shotgun to survive. That's exactly what I did, but she still got killed (and the "choices" screen says Abby choose not to fire). Reading online comments, I'm not the only one to get burned by this. Apparently in some spots the on-screen timer is a lie ... and you have to make your decision immediately for it to work

The following 2 users liked this post by brainee:
Spiderbite (10-08-23), Toddarino (10-09-23)
Old 10-08-23, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 491 Likes on 324 Posts

Wow, around 1983/84, when I was 5 or 6, I turned on the TV to check out the 8 o'clock movie, and saw a scene of a woman rushing to save a man from being guillotined, only to get there too late, and for his severed head to tumble. I immediately switched the TV off. I loved the Universal monster movies, but had never seen this kind of intense violence. It wasn't just that it was graphic, but the ugly colours of the movie made it feel seedy and dirty.

I've often thought about the scene over the years, surprised I never came across it in all the horror movies I'd seen, even wondering if I imagined it.

Well, tonight, I finally discovered what horrified me so much as a child. The scene is from Frankenstein Created Woman. Slightly different from what I remember (no surprise there), but absolutely the movie I saw back then.

Feels good to finally have that settled.
The following 5 users liked this post by Crocker Jarmen:
BobO'Link (10-08-23), jholmes (10-08-23), Spiderbite (10-08-23), Trevor (10-08-23), Undeadcow (10-08-23)
Old 10-08-23, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jholmes
Wow -- talk about a marathon! How fun. I haven't even heard of When Evil Lurks. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the films. I'll probably see them all eventually, but, where we live, we rarely go to the cinema.

Also disappointed to hear the negative comments about Pet Sematary: Bloodlines. I was planning to watch it in the next few days.

We watched Haunted Mansion (2023) last night on Disney Plus and I enjoyed it. It's definitely a sillier family film, but the cast is great and they put a lot into it. And Jamie Lee!
Sucks to hear that Bloodlines isn't good. One of the reasons I was going to sub to Paramount this month.

5 movies in the theater in one day def was a bit rough. Reason I picked that theater was because When Evil Lurks was playing there and not many other places. AMC Orange sucks. Chairs do not go back and half the theater did not have AC. They also had a subpar selection of food. If I'm ever doing this again, picking a much better AMC.

1. A Haunting in Venice: Honestly, would have been amazing had it been a 60-80 minute run time. I get why movies don't do that anymore like back in the golden era, but had they trimmed the fat here, movie would have been perfect. Good story and cast, was just a bit too long.
2. Nun 2: I disliked the first one and this one was also on the long side. It was a bit better than the first, but this was by far my least favorite movie of the day. There's just no excitement or many scares. But as long as they still be printing money, we will probably continue to get these. Did doze off a couple of times during this.
3. Saw X: I admit, I'm a sucker for Jigsaw. I didn't read the reviews and only knew a little going into it. I personally enjoyed it and agree with most reviews that it did bring life back into the franchise and told a good story. I'm all for a sequel even though we know what happens to Jigsaw. It was easy to pick up some clues but there was still a twist here and there. I'm also interested in a movie about Dr. Gordon working with Jigsaw.
4. When Evil Lurks: Had about a 90 minute window and got dinner then headed back to the theater for this. I was excited as it's a Spanish movie with English subtitles that is getting good reviews. It's a very interesting story and a bit unsettling. The first two movies had great AC but Saw X and this one was like a furnace in the theater. And it did ruin the experience a bit as the heat def made me tired, moreso than I was. While the story and acting was extremely well done (foreign films tend to have better actors in horror films for some reason) between the heat and reading, I did doze off a couple more times and when it hits Shudder at the end of the month, going to have to revisit some of the 3rd act. I def recommend once it hits the streaming service to watch it. It's not game changing, but it is very well done.
5. The Exorcist: Believer: I was on the fence on this. Kenny Powers and his team, they did that first Halloween film extremely well and for whatever reason, the next two ones sucked. I was hoping they could produce a good first film again, but was not holding my breath. Saw this in IMAX and finally had a somewhat reclining seat (nothing like other AMC's though) and thankfully AC that helped me become more awake leaving the theater than I was when I entered the movie. Honestly, I enjoyed the acting and story. I was hooked into most of the movie, which is hard for being 2 hours long and 10 PM start time after I got to the theater at 11:55 AM that day. Personally, I am of the Christian belief, but I don't know if I fully believe in possession or anything like that, though I would never invite anything to cross over and all that. These movies do draw me in as it always is an interesting question and topic. The big exorcist showdown was a bit over the top to be honest, but the story did build up nicely. Honestly no idea where they go from here as they have two sequels planned out. But I don't get all the hate it has gotten as there is far worse out there.
The following 4 users liked this post by jacob_b:
Crocker Jarmen (10-08-23), jholmes (10-08-23), Spiderbite (10-08-23), Undeadcow (10-08-23)
Old 10-08-23, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Wow, around 1983/84, when I was 5 or 6, I turned on the TV to check out the 8 o'clock movie, and saw a scene of a woman rushing to save a man from being guillotined, only to get there too late, and for his severed head to tumble. I immediately switched the TV off. I loved the Universal monster movies, but had never seen this kind of intense violence. It wasn't just that it was graphic, but the ugly colours of the movie made it feel seedy and dirty.

I've often thought about the scene over the years, surprised I never came across it in all the horror movies I'd seen, even wondering if I imagined it.

Well, tonight, I finally discovered what horrified me so much as a child. The scene is from Frankenstein Created Woman. Slightly different from what I remember (no surprise there), but absolutely the movie I saw back then.

Feels good to finally have that settled.
I have a horror movie in my head like that which I have still yet to discover.

From what I can remember there was an arm/hand slowly crawling either after a guy (or caught him?) on a boat dock and I remember the arm/hand on a doorstep or something like that. Saw it very young on TV and it scared the crap out of me but I have still yet to figure out what movie it was. I had to be only 3 or 4 at the time.
Old 10-08-23, 03:05 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a great time yesterday with the random location picks. The night before I chose five at random and found stuff in my collection to fit each one. I watched them in order but never got to number five due to unexpected company. The locations and picks were:

Courthouse (actually a court-martial in this movie):Death Magic (1992)
Nightclub: Magic (1978)
Mall: Bip-Zombies (1998)
Church: The Prophecy (1995)
Theater: would have been StageFright (1987)

All were first time views except for Magic which I saw when it first came out but not since then. I liked most of the films except for The Prophecy which for some reason I just didn't care for even though there weren't any major flaws that I could see. Maybe I was just burning out a little and the interruption was a good thing. So a thank you Chad for putting the effort into creating something like this. It really does keep the challenge fresh and fun.

Today I'm deep into Italian gothic horror and who knows when I'll get out!
The following 2 users liked this post by omike:
Chad (10-08-23), jholmes (10-08-23)
Old 10-08-23, 03:32 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite

From what I can remember there was an arm/hand slowly crawling either after a guy (or caught him?) on a boat dock and I remember the arm/hand on a doorstep or something like that. Saw it very young on TV and it scared the crap out of me but I have still yet to figure out what movie it was. I had to be only 3 or 4 at the time.

? The Crawling Hand
Old 10-08-23, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 180 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
This was a good bit of fun. That's the same lady who was the lead in Blackcoat's Daughter.
She was also Sabrina in the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, a fun horror show and quasi-spinoff of Riverdale.

Originally Posted by MrTerrific
I second this, but Pet Sematary: Bloodlines is very close.
I'm watching it now, and while I don't think it's necessarily a good movie, I don't think it's the worst I've seen. I didn't like the lifeless 2019 remake, though.
Old 10-08-23, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Well, my Saturday plans fell though, but I did get in some interesting watches...

I think Curse of the Blue Lights could be the spiritual successor to Spookies. It's oozing with atmosphere and pretty much devoid of any zero narrative cohesion. The effects are really impressive for a regional horror film (shot in Pueblo) with everything from a killer scarecrow, zombies, a deity that feeds on shredded corpses under the graveyard and the main creature almost resembles Dan Aykroyd's character from Nothing But Trouble. A really fun Saturday afternoon watch.

Mind, Body & Soul - This has all the checkmarks - Wings Hauser, Ginger Lynn, Hobgoblins director, Satanic Panic. This is at least the third Wings movie I've caught with the exact same scenario. He gets top-billing and you're under the impression he'll be there for the duration. Then his screentime starts to diminish with him popping up a few times, that is, until he just disappears, and another character is introduced soon thereafter. Eventually he wonders back on set for the final few minutes. I know he had drug issues and a reputation, but he really had the potential to be a big genre name had he gotten his shit together, IMO.

Mikey is a Bad Seed-inspired killer kid movie, yet it felt more like The Stepfather with a 9-year-old. It had a very 90s made-for-TV feeling, which isn't a bad thing. Ashley Laurence was fantastic, speaking of another name that should've been bigger.

Infernal Rapist - Going though the Vinegar Syndrome pile, and after coming off the underwhelming Vacation of Terror, this Mexican flick was off-the-charts batshit crazy. It's like Shocker meets a Japanese Pinku flick.

Old 10-08-23, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor

? The Crawling Hand
I think I tried that one a few years ago but don't think that was it. Was there a boat deck scene in that? I can't remember. Also, I thought it maybe was in color but not sure about that.

Thanks!
Old 10-08-23, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Sunday Night Trivia Question: The Banner Edition

Once again, this year's banner continues to be bigger than last year's and contains more images than previously used in the the past.

All you have to do is NAME 10 MOVIES USED IN THE BANNER. There's hundreds of images used, so plenty to choose from.

Easy access for the lazy:

Spoiler:

Hints:
1. A few images are from sources other than film posters (i.e. fan art, Blu-ray cover art, lobby cards, etc.).
2. Some films have multiple images used.
3. Some images have been slightly altered.
4. International posters are often used.
5. There's the usual few repeats from past banners.
6. Some are outside the horror genre, and those can be used as well.
7. Some answers lie within the subset posters.

Everyone that gets at least 10 correct answers will be entered into a drawing and Random.org will decide the outcome.

Submit your answers to me via PM or email (one entry per person).

You'll be playing for the very well-stacked HamiltonBook.com Prize Pack #1:

Spoiler:

One extremely lucky winner will receive (USA only please):

Courtesy of...

Random.org will determine the winner.

USA only please.

Contest is open until next Sunday's trivia question begins.

Good luck!

The following 7 users liked this post by Chad:
alyxstarr (10-09-23), Gobear (10-10-23), jholmes (10-09-23), mallratcal (10-08-23), Spiderbite (10-08-23), TheBigDave (10-10-23), Undeadcow (10-09-23) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-08-23, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

I suppose The Hand (1981) is too obvious.
Old 10-08-23, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
If anyone has Playstation Extra, The Quarry is a freebie until Oct 17th. It's pretty much an interactive horror movie (it's from the team that made Until Dawn a few years ago). There's even a "movie theater" mode which minimizes action button sequences. It's a short game (should take around 9-10 hours) so there's time to finish even starting now.

I'm just about done chapter 7 (of 10 total chapters). Though I'm mad I just got the only character killed who I wanted to survive
Spoiler:
RIP Abby (Ariel Winter) It's worse in that I think the game pulled a dirty trick. All the tutorials made it sound like you had until the end of the on-screen timer to make decisions. There was a sequence where she was supposed to fire the shotgun to survive. That's exactly what I did, but she still got killed (and the "choices" screen says Abby choose not to fire). Reading online comments, I'm not the only one to get burned by this. Apparently in some spots the on-screen timer is a lie ... and you have to make your decision immediately for it to work

quarry is great, and a great cast
Old 10-08-23, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 330 Likes on 201 Posts

Disney Plus: It was $40 for the first 3 years, then $80 and now they are upping it to $140?!? Anyone else thinking about dropping this service?
Undeadcow (10-09-23)
Old 10-08-23, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For those who like to do some spooky activities during October, my wife found this, and we bought tickets to attend here in The Ham. Coming to a city near you!

Spirit Mansion - Spirit Mansion
Whatever you do, don't pay money to see this. We went there tonight, and it was a joke.

Appears someone figured out an excellent way to part people from their money doing a lame show with zero effort put forth.

It appears the producers of this "show" rented a shitty small meeting hall in a bad part of our town, threw in 150 chairs in rows with zero decorations. No bar or food or anything. Nothing on the walls. Zero effort besides a table at the front of the room covered with Wal-Mart clearance Halloween decorations. Two lights, a smoke machine and a couple of speakers. They give you some extremely watered down cocktails and just have a person come to the top of the room and tell a lame ghost story between each drink. Then you have people who think they are comedians in the audience interrupting and talking shit. The whole thing was a disaster. All the good reviews I read either were planted or people have a different idea of a good time than I do. Especially when you are paying $45 to $70 a ticket.

ZERO EFFORT. Ugh.

Dear lord, I was irritated. We left early. No reason to waste out time on such rubbish. I would have rather been home watching movies and drinking quality beer or liquor.

We figured it out and with three shows that day, they cleared a minimum of $25 Grand. They paid nothing for the shit town meeting hall and put zero money into the drinks or production quality.

Very disappointed. Just a warning for those who may see this and think about going.

I am sure there were some people there having a good time...but they were the obnoxious ones.
The following 2 users liked this post by Spiderbite:
alyxstarr (10-09-23), Undeadcow (10-09-23)
Old 10-09-23, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Honest question, but how many people actually like The Phantom of the Opera? Set looks good, nice costumes, and great makeup job, but man I cannot get into the whole silent movie thing. Probably amazing for the time, but 100 years later basically and I'm just bored and cannot follow.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.