The 12th Annual Animation Challenge! Discussion Thread

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 12th Annual Animation Challenge! Discussion Thread

Old 08-17-21, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Re: The 12th Annual Animation Challenge! Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Mr Awesome View Post
😆 That's because that's exactly what it was. Disney cobbled together three episodes of an uncompleted tv show called "Team Atlantis." New animation was created to link the episodes.
Ha! I was right! Usually I do like to read the random trivia info about the movies I watch but didn't check last night...but yeah, they could have transitioned the pieces a lot better!
Old 08-18-21, 10:05 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

what is the general consensus of 'puppetry' as animation ?? I watched the new 4K UHD of 'Labyrinth' last night.
Old 08-18-21, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles View Post
what is the general consensus of 'puppetry' as animation ?? I watched the new 4K UHD of 'Labyrinth' last night.
It's fine. It's somewhere in the rules (I remember seeing it somewhere). Anyway I've been watching puppet stuff for years for the Challenge and it's never been an issue.
The following users liked this post:
Giles (08-19-21)
Old 08-18-21, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Puppetry is included as animation. Muppets are very welcome. There is item on the check list if you're doing that this year as well.

Just make sure that puppets are in a majority of the film/show and not just a brief pop up as a prop.
Giles (08-19-21)
Old 08-19-21, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 132 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765 View Post
Puppetry is included as animation. Muppets are very welcome. There is item on the check list if you're doing that this year as well.

Just make sure that puppets are in a majority of the film/show and not just a brief pop up as a prop.

So no to SeŮor Pepe in The In-Laws (1979)?

General, that's a hell of an act.
Old 08-19-21, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by wishbone View Post

So no to SeŮor Pepe in The In-Laws (1979)?

General, that's a hell of an act.
Yes, though this sounds like a very interesting movie! lol!
Old 08-19-21, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 127 Likes on 87 Posts

FYI, tonight at 8:00 PM EST, the Criterion Channel is hosting a watch party for the film Millennium Actress (Sennen joyŻ, originally). Carlos Aguilar will take over their Twitter feed (@criterionchannl) for the occasion and will lead a simultaneous discussion of the film while it plays. Personally, I don't know how successfully I could follow a film where I will require subtitles and also keep up with a Twitter conversation but I might scope out the discussions after the movie to see what I didn't grasp. For those of you who either are fluent in Japanese or maybe just familiar enough with the movie you don't need to monitor the screen every moment, it might be fun. I did follow along a previous one of these with Jake Tapper hosting The Manchurian Candidate. There were technical problems for the first half hour or so that I hope they've since resolved, but once it got going it was a lot of fun. It would be worth the following checks:

Studio: Madhouse
Director: Satoshi Kon
Filmspotting Top 100 Animated Films (#67)
Decade: 2000's (2001)
Language other than English: Japanese
MPAA Rating: PG (for thematic elements, violence and brief language)
Category: Anime
Genre: Drama, Fantasy
Old 08-19-21, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Travis McClain View Post
FYI, tonight at 8:00 PM EST, the Criterion Channel is hosting a watch party for the film Millennium Actress (Sennen joyŻ, originally).
I doubt I'll be doing the watch party (sounds fun, but timing is bad), but...this is a great film! I really enjoyed it. I was recommended it many years ago during a challenge (either this one or Criterion, I'd suspect) and it really spoke to me. It's well done and kept my attention the whole time. Very much worth the watch! I even ended up buying my own copy of it.
Old 08-19-21, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Lately Iíve been going through my DVD collection for this challenge. The majority of my series are from the 80s, and they are like a comfort food to me. I watched disc 1 of the Complete Series of M.A.S.K., and am currently working my way through the first disc of Beast King Golion. It is nice to see where Voltron ​​​​​​ got itís roots. I also have a soft spot for M.A.S.K., because it was one of the last birthday presents I got from my gram before she passed away.
LJG765 (08-19-21)
Old 08-19-21, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I watched Luca for the first time today. I really liked it. A little sad, but very sweet. I really liked Soul, but I think Luca is better. Still plan on watching Raya and the Last Dragon for the first time during the challenge as well.
Old 08-19-21, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 462 Likes on 383 Posts

I'm a fan of Lin-Manuel Miranda, and the new animated Netflix movie "Vivo" was a delight - Sony Pictures Animation on a roll here this year!
Just watched this and liked it. LMM was great.
Old 08-20-21, 04:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765 View Post
I watched Luca for the first time today. I really liked it. A little sad, but very sweet. I really liked Soul, but I think Luca is better. Still plan on watching Raya and the Last Dragon for the first time during the challenge as well.
Ever since Toy Story 2, most Pixar movies are way too sad for my taste. Incredibles was a fun movie and I enjoyed Inside Out, loved tbe voice cast on that one!
Old 08-20-21, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Just watched this and liked it. LMM was great.
Mmm, glad you mentioned this. I wanted to watch it this month and had totally forgot about it. Maybe I can squeeze it in tonight...

Originally Posted by Mr Awesome View Post
Ever since Toy Story 2, most Pixar movies are way too sad for my taste. Incredibles was a fun movie and I enjoyed Inside Out, loved tbe voice cast on that one!
I don't mind a little sadness in my animation, tbh. I think Up was a bit too much, though amazingly done. A lifetime in 10 minutes. Brave isn't too bad or sad. Finding Dory is okay sadness-wise. But they do like to throw in some sort of tragedy to get your emotions up.
Old 08-21-21, 10:27 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

do we get wild cards for this challenge?

I want to include 2012 since the movie is awash (harhar) with impressive computer animated sequence of destruction.
Old 08-21-21, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

do we get wild cards for this challenge?

I want to include 2012 since the movie is awash (harhar) with impressive computer animated sequence of destruction.
Yes, one wildcard is available to use!
Old 08-22-21, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 127 Likes on 87 Posts

I am way behind. Blame it on the Reds; they're actually worth following in August for a change! If I go at it with some hardcore binging, I think I could still knock out that Art-House Animation collection. One nice thing is that if I don't, I can just finish it next month and count it for the Indie/Art-House Challenge!
Old 08-22-21, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Travis McClain View Post
I am way behind. Blame it on the Reds; they're actually worth following in August for a change! If I go at it with some hardcore binging, I think I could still knock out that Art-House Animation collection. One nice thing is that if I don't, I can just finish it next month and count it for the Indie/Art-House Challenge!
I know you hate to stop in the middle so I'm glad you can get some double credit there!

I watched Vivo a couple nights ago and really enjoyed the music. I'm not sure the plot was great, but the animation was well done and you can't beat the music!
Old 08-22-21, 02:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ngā Taonga Sound & Vision has an extensive online Len Lye exhibit, Free Radical: Len Lye at 120. I'm not sure if it's temporary or permanent. Most, but not all, of the films are animated. He did some stop motion, but most of his movies are abstract and music oriented. He was an influence on a lot of 1960s animation, most obviously on George Dunning.

Ngā Taonga Sound & Vision is a great source for New Zealand media, like its Australian counterpart, but they have so much material I find browsing difficult.

Last edited by ororama; 08-22-21 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-23-21, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As we start to wind down the challenge, how are people doing? Getting what you wanted watched?

I've been using my Disney+ subscription quite a bit. I also watched a few on Netflix. I started watching CentaurWorld which is a new series. The first 8-10 episodes have dropped and I know there will be a 2nd part of season 1. I've watched 1-4. The first ten minutes, I really liked the aesthetic, until they completely did a 180. It went from greys and war to bubblegum pink and silly. It was pretty jarring, but 4 episodes in, I'm back to appreciating it. It is a musical series, so if you're not a fan of music, you might not enjoy it. I do still wish they had stuck with the first setting, but what it is, isn't bad either.
Old 08-23-21, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Iím way behind what I would like. Maybe itís all Iíve got on my plate, but Iím really having trouble getting into a challenge mode this month.
Old 08-24-21, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty View Post
Iím way behind what I would like. Maybe itís all Iíve got on my plate, but Iím really having trouble getting into a challenge mode this month.
I get this. I've not been able to get into challenges a lot this year either. I've been a lot busier than usual and was hoping summer would be quieter, but it almost was more chaotic than the spring for me! When I have had time to watch something, I'd rather do something quieter or something a little more hands on than watch a movie/show. I know that my mood will swing back around eventually and all the things I want to watch will still be there! Remember, challenges are just for fun and maybe to help people decide what they want to watch!

I just finished Centaurworld. This was one of the most bizarre shows I've ever seen. Loved the music. The plot was interesting, sort of. But some weird sidetracks and stories that popped up. I did read a bit more into it and it sounds like there won't be a 2nd part of season 1, but another season airing next year sometime. Should be interesting to see how they take the story line.
Old 08-27-21, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Man, I can't believe how fast this month has flown! Don't forget the last day of the challenge is a crossover with The Criterion Challenge (though that has broadened quite a bit.) I know there is a list in the opening post with films that count in both challenges and I bet there are quite a few more now that more is being allowed.

For those who have done the check list, any comments or concerns? Anything that doesn't fit or needs to be freshened up? Please let me know!
Old 08-27-21, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 462 Likes on 383 Posts

Maybe this will be my excuse to finally watch the Invincible animated series.
Achievement unlockedóI watched the eight-episode season in two days. Itís based on a comic series I like, and I thought it was well-done and faithful.
LJG765 (08-27-21)
Old 08-28-21, 07:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Achievement unlockedóI watched the eight-episode season in two days. Itís based on a comic series I like, and I thought it was well-done and faithful.
that show looks its really well done, if I ever get Prime I'll check it out for sure.

Last week I had a Hanna-Barbera theme, this week I skipped a couple days then did some more Woody Woodpecker. Gonna wrap it up with some Disney Faves.
davidh777 (08-28-21)
Old 08-28-21, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 183 Likes on 153 Posts

Achievement unlocked—I watched the eight-episode season in two days. It’s based on a comic series I like, and I thought it was well-done and faithful.
I've watched the first 4 episodes and thought it was really, really, well done. I, too, like the comic and this is quite faithful - a rarity.
davidh777 (08-28-21)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.