Reload this Page >

The 12th Annual Animation Challenge! Discussion Thread

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 12th Annual Animation Challenge! Discussion Thread

Old 08-08-21, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 201 Likes on 170 Posts
Re: The 12th Annual Animation Challenge! Discussion Thread

Last night and so far today has been a Looney Tunes marathon. I opted to open and watch my Platinum Collection V2 BR. Lots of good stuff there - but I don't like the way they handle the shorts on disc 3 as "bonus" items and didn't bother to restore any of them, presenting quite a few in a manner that stretches the 4:3 original to 16:9 unless you change the AR on the player. Lazy... They could have at least pillar boxed the 4:3 ones.
Old 08-08-21, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I've been working my way through the recent BD release of Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space, and I'm enjoying it more than the original series. The premise is so incredibly nonsensical - even by Hanna-Barbera standards. Every episode plays out roughly the same with the band and their entourage landing on a planet; encountering a power-mad alien leader who wants to subjugate his own race, invade Earth, or both; and escaping to continue their quest to return home. I really enjoy the cast of characters which has more variety than most HB shows. There's an airhead, a coward, a techie, a himbo, and a contrarian. Josie is probably the least defined character, being slotted into the "voice of reason" role. I really hope Warner Archives keeps putting out these old cartoons on Blu-ray!
Old 08-09-21, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 490 Likes on 406 Posts

Currently watching Final Fantasy VII because I remember liking The Spirits Within way back when. However I’ve never played the games and am not paying close attention so I don’t really know what’s going on. Cool visuals, though.
Old 08-12-21, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Wanted to watch something new and on the shorter side, so picked Scoob! It's alright, a few cute moments. Loved the scene with Fred at the end with the hubcap. The rest is pretty cute but not great. If you're a Scooby Doo fan, you might enjoy this and it's worth at least one watch.

Will say this experience reminds me why I don't rely on streaming! My internet keeps going in and out tonight and for a 90 minute movie, it's taken me about 3 hours and 2 devices. *sigh*
Old 08-13-21, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wanted more of rhe Scooby gang in Scoob! and less of the other characters.

I never got around to watching the original Space Jam back in the day, so I watched the two versions back to back. Oof. Maybe I would’ve enjoyed them if I were six years old but I was mostly interested in the cameos by real basketball players.
Old 08-13-21, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post

I never got around to watching the original Space Jam back in the day, so I watched the two versions back to back. Oof. Maybe I would’ve enjoyed them if I were six years old but I was mostly interested in the cameos by real basketball players.
Looney Tunes: Back in Action (2003) is the best of the three. At least if you want to lump it with the other two.
Old 08-13-21, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked seeing them as kids but was glad when they aged up. Thought the Simon Cowell thing was kind of dumb, though. I totally see your point as we do end up with the Blue Falcon on screen more than Daphne, Fred and Velma. I read that they are (were?) planning on doing a bunch of movies based on the cartoon universe so that is why there were a ton of references to the other shows in the movie. Would be interesting to see if they really are planning that or not.

The original Space Jam has never been a favorite but does give me nostalgic feels. I can't imagine it being that exciting of a sequel.

I watched The Jungle Cruise today. First time in a theater since January 2020. Mentioning here because if anyone was wanting to watch it this month, go for it. There is plenty of CGI in it that would qualify it for the CGI check. It was a fun romp. I really enjoyed all the cheesy jokes. It really gave homage to the ride. It did feel a lot like Pirates of the Caribbean in places. Definitely not an unique plot but watchable.
The following 2 users liked this post by LJG765:
BobO'Link (08-14-21), davidh777 (08-13-21)
Old 08-13-21, 09:39 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I just watched the streaming series "Stars in the House" (YouTube) that featured head writer/exec. producer David X. Cohen of Futurama and voices actors: Lauren Tom, David Herman, Phil LeMarr, Maurice LaMarche - while it was a chance to hear them recollect about the show and characters, it was also trying to get donations for Los Angeles' 'Homeboy Industries' ['an organization that provides hope, training, and support to formerly gang-involved and previously incarcerated people, allowing them to redirect their lives and become contributing members of our community'], the woman who went through the program's story was pretty hardcore and sad but was able to turn her life and situation around through the organization.
Old 08-14-21, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was watching my BR of The Jetsons only to discover D3 has a spots in 2 episodes that are unplayable (hangs and skips ahead a couple of minutes) and presents digital noise several times in a 3rd episode. Sigh... replacement ordered.

I also started watching a 1992 series, Conan: The Adventurer. I'd picked up S1 of this one from BL during a BF sale ($1.88 minus a coupon) because I like the Conan movies, have read several incarnations of the Conan comics (most of which I really like), and like the original stories. Oh... and because it was *very* inexpensive. I'm happy to say that it's actually pretty good as far as these type of series aimed at kids go. Stories are a bit on the cliche side and it has the requisite annoying "side kick" talking animal with a odd voice and occasional comic interludes. At least the talking animal side kick doesn't truly show up that often. There's a evil talking snake who's just about as annoying though. The animation is well drawn and the voice acting is mostly good. It would easily have been right at home in the 80s (along with He-Man) as well in the 70s. It's actually better than many of the attempts at more "serious" half hour cartoon fare in the 70s. It also has one of the cheesiest and bad theme songs I've heard on a cartoon in quite some time. That said, it bears little resemblance to Robert E. Howard's Conan and is a more generic swords & sorcery series and titled Conan solely for the name recognition factor.

S1 has only 13 of the 65 total episodes and S2 has had a partial release (2 sets of 13 episodes each with no sign of the final 26).
Old 08-14-21, 06:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Long stretch of work is getting to me, I'll see if I can squeeze in 20 or so minutes of toons tonight.
Old 08-14-21, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by LJG765 View Post
I liked seeing them as kids but was glad when they aged up. Thought the Simon Cowell thing was kind of dumb, though. I totally see your point as we do end up with the Blue Falcon on screen more than Daphne, Fred and Velma. I read that they are (were?) planning on doing a bunch of movies based on the cartoon universe so that is why there were a ton of references to the other shows in the movie. Would be interesting to see if they really are planning that or not.

The original Space Jam has never been a favorite but does give me nostalgic feels. I can't imagine it being that exciting of a sequel.

I watched The Jungle Cruise today. First time in a theater since January 2020. Mentioning here because if anyone was wanting to watch it this month, go for it. There is plenty of CGI in it that would qualify it for the CGI check. It was a fun romp. I really enjoyed all the cheesy jokes. It really gave homage to the ride. It did feel a lot like Pirates of the Caribbean in places. Definitely not an unique plot but watchable.
I suppose The Suicide Squad movie would probably qualify with its CGI, a main character is a freakin' shark. 😆 Didn't think of listing it when I watched it last week.
Old 08-14-21, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mr Awesome View Post
I suppose The Suicide Squad movie would probably qualify with its CGI, a main character is a freakin' shark. 😆 Didn't think of listing it when I watched it last week.
Probably...use your best judgement as I haven't seen it. Lots of the superhero type movies probably qualify, though I do feel like it needs to be in at least a majority part of the movie at some point. The Jungle Cruise wasn't 100%, but had a fully animated panther/jungle cat throughout the whole thing who was basically a main character, along with a ton of other things (insignificant and very significant but I don't want to spoil anything). The "cat's" credit was even just the actor's name. So, if the character (and being a main character), is on screen for 60% or so of the movie, I'd say it counts!

And don't forget, if you're on the edge of whether or not it counts, use a wildcard.
Old 08-15-21, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This past Christmas purchasing season I picked up an inexpensive copy of The Lion King without paying much attention to what I'd ordered, thinking it was the original animation. I've never seen it, never really wanted to see it as I'm not much of a fan of Disney's modern animated output, and only purchased it in case one of the grandkids wanted to see it. So... it comes in, I look at the case, decide it's not right, check closer to discover I've purchased the newer not-too-well-received "live action" (aka CGI) version of the story. No wonder it was only $5...

I watched it this afternoon. Meh... it's "OK" but nothing I'll ever revisit myself. The CGI work is very impressive. Those CGI animals talking? Not so much so. In fact that took me out of the story quite frequently, especially with the songs (which I didn't care for at all - hey... it's Disney and from my first Disney movie at age 5 I've rarely cared for the songs in these things). The voice acting was nothing special with much of it being in the same style as 99% of current kid's animated features. It's also in that every growing group of movies that uses a constant, unrelenting, music score to convey, or telegraph, emotion where none exists (usually attributed to poor dialog, scripting, and/or acting). Almost forgot - it's also quite predictable and cliche'.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 08-15-21 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-15-21, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And then I watched The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part, another I finally caved and purchased because it was cheap. I'm on record as not liking the ending of the first. That whole drop into "real world" totally ruined the movie for me, and it was quite good up until that point. I swore I'd never watch "2" because of that and have kept to that until now. I should have kept to that resolve. Not only does it suffer from the same drop into "real world" (and more than once), which totally kills the momentum of the movie, but it's just not that good a movie. It's roughly on par with the direct-to-video Lego movies I've seen. Better than a few, worse than most. This, too, goes on the "never again by my choice" pile.
Old 08-15-21, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

I've been watching through the Art-House Animation collection on the Criterion Channel. The first three are the Karel Zeman films Journey Into the Beginning of Time, Invention for Destruction, and The Fabulous Baron Munchausen. I'd seen Munchausen already but the others were first time viewings. I rather enjoyed all three. There's a refreshing sense of adventure and enthusiasm to all three. I was especially captivated by the aesthetics of Invention. Truly some brilliant stuff. There's something exciting for me about wondering, "How did they do that?" and know that the answer isn't as simple as "in a computer."

After those three came Belladonna of Sadness and man, oh, man was that a jarring jump! I characterized it as a fever dream in watercolor. I knew going in that it was built on sexual violence so I was braced for it but honestly I found it such an abstract film that even when it was at its most explicit (and at times it can be gruesomely so) it still somehow felt too abstract to have as much impact as it ought to have had. Probable one that that will benefit from another viewing, but not one that's likely to get that additional viewing anytime soon.

I also recently picked up the Warner Archive Blu-ray of the Bogie movie Chain Lightning, which includes the 1949 Merrie Melodies short, Bear Feat. Papa Bear is a truly loathsome character, pushing around and putting down Mama Bear and Baby Bear at every turn, and convinced that he's the actual victim because he's stuck with them. The ending was dark (spoiler'd for anyone reading an update email):
Spoiler:
Papa Bear has enough and decides the only thing left is to commit suicide by jumping off a cliff. Baby Bear, who has inadvertently messed up a few things throughout the short that led to Papa Bear sustaining injuries, sees what's happening and rushes to set down a tub of water in the nick of time. After Papa splashes down safely, Baby beams with pride, "I did a good thing, Papa!" Not gonna lie, that damn near made me cry.
Old 08-16-21, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I finished the evening with a first time viewing of Ralph Breaks the Internet. After the viewing I realized it's the 2nd film and I've still not seen the first. But that's OK as it turns out you really don't need to have seen the first one to enjoy this outing. And it *was* a joy to watch. Clever, funny, lots of good lines, and a decent story. I just about hurt myself laughing during the segment where Vanellope visits the Princesses' dressing room at Disney.

[Vanellope glitches into the Disney Princesses' dressing room. When the girls see her, they defend themselves, including Mulan taking out her sword, Belle holding up her book, Ariel pointing her dinglehopper, Merida pointing her bow and arrow, Pocahontas holding up her cane, Rapunzel holding her frying pan, Elsa holding out her hands, Anna putting her fists up, Jasmine wielding the magic lamp, and Cinderella taking her glass slipper, breaking it and wielding it like a shiv]

Vanellope: Whoa, whoa, ladies, I can explain! See, um... I'm a princess, too!
Anna: Wait. What?
Vanellope: Yeah! Princess Vanellope von Schweetz of the, uh... Sugar Rush von Schweetzes? I'm sure you've heard of us. It'd be embarrassing for you if you haven't. [laughs nervously]
Pocahontas: What kind of a princess are you?
Vanellope: What kind?
Rapunzel: Do you have magic hair?
Vanellope: No.
Elsa: Magic hands?
Cinderella: Do animals talk to you?
Snow White: Were you poisoned?
Vanellope: No!
Tiana, Aurora: Cursed?
Vanellope: No!
Rapunzel, Belle: Kidnapped or enslaved?
Vanellope: No! Are you guys okay? Should I call the police?
Ariel: Then I have to assume you made a deal with an underwater sea witch, where she took your voice in exchange for a pair of human legs!
Vanellope: No! Good Lord, who would do that?
Snow White: Have you ever had true love's kiss?
Vanellope: Eww, barf!
Jasmine: Do you have daddy issues?
Vanellope: I don't even have a mom.
Ariel, Snow White, Jasmine, Pocahontas, Elsa, Cinderella, Belle, Anna: Neither do we!
Rapunzel: And now for the million dollar question: Do people assume all your problems got solved because a big strong man showed up?
Vanellope: Yes! What is up with that?
Ariel, Jasmine, Pocahontas, Elsa, Cinderella, Belle, Anna, Rapunzel: She *is* a Princess!
Snow White: [sings a few notes in delight]

And at the end of the visit after the Princesses' have put on "comfy clothes" and get the "curtain call" for the next show:

Tiana: Well, I guess it's back to the gowns girls
Aurora: It was lovely to meet you Vanellope.
Belle: And best of luck finding your song.
Merida: [rapidly, almost angrily, and in a thick Scottish accent] Arr! Lang may yer lum reek, and may a moose ne'er leave your girnal with a tear drop in his eye! Haste ye back, me lassie!
Vanellope: Uh huh...[whispering to Tiana] What did she just day?
Tiana: [to Vanellope] We don't know.
Moana: [to Vanellope] We can't understand her.
Anna: She's from the other studio
Vanellope: Ah.

Now I need to watch the first film - I own a copy, just overlooked it yesterday...
Old 08-16-21, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I watched a set of D+ Goofy shorts How to Stay at Home, with topics such as How to Wear a Mask and Binge Watching, intended to put a lighter spin on quarantine life, I could see the mask one as appealing to kids.
Old 08-16-21, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
I finished the evening with a first time viewing of Ralph Breaks the Internet. After the viewing I realized it's the 2nd film and I've still not seen the first. But that's OK as it turns out you really don't need to have seen the first one to enjoy this outing. And it *was* a joy to watch. Clever, funny, lots of good lines, and a decent story. I just about hurt myself laughing during the segment where Vanellope visits the Princesses' dressing room at Disney.

Now I need to watch the first film - I own a copy, just overlooked it yesterday...
I love the first one! I've seen the 2nd one once, probably should re-watch it soon. Hmm... But I totally agree that they are really clever! The 2nd one has SO MANY Easter eggs in it. It's impossible to catch them all the first time through.

I watched a set of D+ Goofy shorts How to Stay at Home, with topics such as How to Wear a Mask and Binge Watching, intended to put a lighter spin on quarantine life, I could see the mask one as appealing to kids.
I just watched these a couple days ago and liked them too! Goofy is not my favorite Disney character but I do love his shorts. One of my favorites is where he is trying to put his entertainment center together, but I can't think of the title at the moment.
Old 08-16-21, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just watched these a couple days ago and liked them too! Goofy is not my favorite Disney character but I do love his shorts. One of my favorites is where he is trying to put his entertainment center together, but I can't think of the title at the moment.
How to Hook Up Your Home Theater! That one’s great. I remember seeing that in theaters originally.
The following users liked this post:
LJG765 (08-17-21)
Old 08-16-21, 03:31 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis McClain View Post
I've been watching through the Art-House Animation collection on the Criterion Channel. The first three are the Karel Zeman films Journey Into the Beginning of Time, Invention for Destruction, and The Fabulous Baron Munchausen. I'd seen Munchausen already but the others were first time viewings. I rather enjoyed all three. There's a refreshing sense of adventure and enthusiasm to all three. I was especially captivated by the aesthetics of Invention. Truly some brilliant stuff. There's something exciting for me about wondering, "How did they do that?" and know that the answer isn't as simple as "in a computer."

After those three came Belladonna of Sadness and man, oh, man was that a jarring jump! I characterized it as a fever dream in watercolor. I knew going in that it was built on sexual violence so I was braced for it but honestly I found it such an abstract film that even when it was at its most explicit (and at times it can be gruesomely so) it still somehow felt too abstract to have as much impact as it ought to have had. Probable one that that will benefit from another viewing, but not one that's likely to get that additional viewing anytime soon.

I also recently picked up the Warner Archive Blu-ray of the Bogie movie Chain Lightning, which includes the 1949 Merrie Melodies short, Bear Feat. Papa Bear is a truly loathsome character, pushing around and putting down Mama Bear and Baby Bear at every turn, and convinced that he's the actual victim because he's stuck with them. The ending was dark (spoiler'd for anyone reading an update email):
Spoiler:
Papa Bear has enough and decides the only thing left is to commit suicide by jumping off a cliff. Baby Bear, who has inadvertently messed up a few things throughout the short that led to Papa Bear sustaining injuries, sees what's happening and rushes to set down a tub of water in the nick of time. After Papa splashes down safely, Baby beams with pride, "I did a good thing, Papa!" Not gonna lie, that damn near made me cry.
isn't 'Belladonna' a doozy! I saw it on late night Turner Classic Movies - wow, talk about something completely different, and shocking.
~
I saw 'Wolfwalkers' on the proper big screen yesterday, and it's such a classic - should have won Best Animated Picture over 'Soul' but that's my opinion.
Old 08-16-21, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles View Post
isn't 'Belladonna' a doozy! I saw it on late night Turner Classic Movies - wow, talk about something completely different, and shocking.
~
I saw 'Wolfwalkers' on the proper big screen yesterday, and it's such a classic - should have won Best Animated Picture over 'Soul' but that's my opinion.
Yeah, Belladonna of Sadness reminded me somewhat of Season of the Witch, which is another roller coaster that goes in some bizarre places. I generally dig movies that surprise me by going into outlandish places rather than the movies that try to surprise me simply by withholding information so it's impossible for me to anticipate a given character's seemingly sudden about face.
Old 08-17-21, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How to Hook Up Your Home Theater! That one’s great. I remember seeing that in theaters originally.
That's the one!

I watched Gnomeo & Juliet last night for the first time. Really enjoyed the music from it. The story isn't too horrible and actually, not a bad take on Romeo and Juliet. I like the ending better, that's for sure! lol!

Followed it up with Atlantis: Milo's Return. The original movie is alright, but not Disney's finest outing. The sequel is pretty awful though. It's split into 3 stories that are supposed to fit together, but instead make it seem like they took a 3 episode show and made it into a DTV movie. Skip unless you're a diehard Disney fan and need to watch them all...
Old 08-17-21, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I watched Wreck It Ralph! last night. It, too, was lots of fun and quite clever at times. I like the sequel better but wouldn't turn down watching either.
The following users liked this post:
LJG765 (08-17-21)
Old 08-17-21, 06:14 PM

Today is Woody Woodpecker Day, watching the Woody Woodpecker and Friends Collection vol 2 DVD from Universal. Uni's releasing a blu-ray woody collection this fall, gonna be a lot of double dipping.
Old 08-17-21, 06:18 PM

Followed it up with Atlantis: Milo's Return. The original movie is alright, but not Disney's finest outing. The sequel is pretty awful though. It's split into 3 stories that are supposed to fit together, but instead make it seem like they took a 3 episode show and made it into a DTV movie. Skip unless you're a diehard Disney fan and need to watch them all...
😆 That's because that's exactly what it was. Disney cobbled together three episodes of an uncompleted tv show called "Team Atlantis." New animation was created to link the episodes.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.