Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 12th Annual Animation Challenge! Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-21, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Re: The 12th Annual Animation Challenge! Discussion Thread

Well if you broaden the language to live action film from an animated property you can add the Transformers, GI Joe, Rocky and Bullwinkle, The Flintstones, Aeon Flux, Alvin and the Chipmunks, How the Grinch Stole Christmas and Scooby Doo films. If you want to keep it to a film to film conversion, you got all the stuff that Disney is churning out (which is a LOT) and Ghost in the Shell. If they ever get it made, Akira would be on the list too.
The following users liked this post:
LJG765 (08-02-21)
Old 08-02-21, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

^ Plus a new GI Joe ​​​​​​ movie just hit theaters, an origin story of Snake Eyes.
Old 08-02-21, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by lisadoris
Well if you broaden the language to live action film from an animated property you can add the Transformers, GI Joe, Rocky and Bullwinkle, The Flintstones, Aeon Flux, Alvin and the Chipmunks, How the Grinch Stole Christmas and Scooby Doo films. If you want to keep it to a film to film conversion, you got all the stuff that Disney is churning out (which is a LOT) and Ghost in the Shell. If they ever get it made, Akira would be on the list too.
Thanks, there were quite a few I hadn't thought of! Something like, "Watch a live action film based on an animated TV show/movie."

Would that work or am I missing a format?
Old 08-02-21, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

That sounds about right.
LJG765 (08-02-21)
Old 08-02-21, 04:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

There's also Popeye with Robin Williams, although that was a strip first, but so was Garfield. For Archie there was a 1990 tv live-action movie. There was also a live-action Woody Woodpecker film and a Yogi Bear one before that.

Speaking of Popeye, watching a block of Fleischer Popeyes, maybe throw in a Popeye and Son.

Last edited by Mr Awesome; 08-02-21 at 04:53 PM.
LJG765 (08-02-21)
Old 08-02-21, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I don't have a strong feeling one way or the other regarding live action versions of animated things, but I do think it probably merits closer auditing to see what began specifically as an animated work versus what started in another medium first. Wikipedia has 67 movies currently listed under their category of Live-action films based on animated series. I would take issue with some of what's there, including the aforementioned Garfield, Popeye, and G.I. Joe movies, which originated as comic strips and action figures before there were any animated iterations. Likewise Max Steel and the Transformers series, etc. Those quibbles aside, there's still a sizable number of clearly eligible content. Wikipedia also doesn't include any of the Disney live-action remakes because, of course, none of those were original stories in the first place.
Old 08-03-21, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished one of my favorite episodes of Voltron ​​​​​​, ‘Magnetic Attraction’, about a magnetic, fire breathing robeast. One reason I always enjoyed this episode was it dealt with the inner workings of the lions, showing the turbines powering up.

On another note, I got my first box of a movie subscription box today, and a couple of the movies will work for this challenge. They are Independence Day, and Elena Of Avalor.
Old 08-04-21, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I just finished one of my favorite episodes of Voltron ​​​​​​, ‘Magnetic Attraction’, about a magnetic, fire breathing robeast. One reason I always enjoyed this episode was it dealt with the inner workings of the lions, showing the turbines powering up.

On another note, I got my first box of a movie subscription box today, and a couple of the movies will work for this challenge. They are Independence Day, and Elena Of Avalor.
Can I ask what the name of the subscription box is? Thanks!

I've been watching a lot of Disney+ so far this challenge. Lots of shorts, Pixar and Disney. I just watched Us Again, a really cute short about an older couple. The whole thing was a delight to watch, so if you have 6 minutes and Disney+, I do recommend it!
Old 08-05-21, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It’s from a website called Loved Again Media. They have movie, video game and vinyl subscription boxes available. The 10 DVD box is $19.99 a month.
Old 08-05-21, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It’s from a website called Loved Again Media. They have movie, video game and vinyl subscription boxes available. The 10 DVD box is $19.99 a month.
I'll have to look into that. Sounds interesting, thanks!
Old 08-06-21, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

I'm planning to finally watch some animation tomorrow. I got the new Herculoids BR in last week, have the BR of Space Ghost still unopened, and pulled Jonny Quest and The Jetsons BRs out for viewings. The quartet would be a nice flashback to when I was a pre-teen watching them on Saturday mornings (and I watched all of them during the original airings, Jonny Quest and The Jetsons in Prime Time). I also have the new Bugs Bunny anniversary BR (the one with the butt ugly FunkoPop thing) and a couple of the Looney Tune BR collections I've not yet made time to watch. I'm thinking of making it a kind of throw back Saturday/weekend with all of that...
Old 08-06-21, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I'm planning to finally watch some animation tomorrow. I got the new Herculoids BR in last week, have the BR of Space Ghost still unopened, and pulled Jonny Quest and The Jetsons BRs out for viewings. The quartet would be a nice flashback to when I was a pre-teen watching them on Saturday mornings (and I watched all of them during the original airings, Jonny Quest and The Jetsons in Prime Time). I also have the new Bugs Bunny anniversary BR (the one with the butt ugly FunkoPop thing) and a couple of the Looney Tune BR collections I've not yet made time to watch. I'm thinking of making it a kind of throw back Saturday/weekend with all of that...
Sounds like fun! Feel like you're missing Penelope Pitstop, though! lol! Jonny Quest has always been one of my favorite cartoons. I even sort of liked the modern one from the '90s.

Last night, I watched Satellite Girl and Milk Cow. This was a total blind buy out of the cheap bin. No idea what it was going in. Still not 100% sure after watching it. Overall, it's pretty cute but there are definitely a few scenes that are just...bizarre. No other word for it. There's a short that I plan on watching today called, A Coffee Vending Machine and Its Sword. 100% going to watch because of the title.
Old 08-06-21, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LJG765
Sounds like fun! Feel like you're missing Penelope Pitstop, though! lol! Jonny Quest has always been one of my favorite cartoons. I even sort of liked the modern one from the '90s.

Last night, I watched Satellite Girl and Milk Cow. This was a total blind buy out of the cheap bin. No idea what it was going in. Still not 100% sure after watching it. Overall, it's pretty cute but there are definitely a few scenes that are just...bizarre. No other word for it. There's a short that I plan on watching today called, A Coffee Vending Machine and Its Sword. 100% going to watch because of the title.
I have Penelope Pitstop on DVD - because I found it at BL for $5 and have granddaughters. I never cared for that one back then and really don't know if I've watched the DVD (I'm at work so can't check). I've also not upgraded it to BR. I probably will if the price drops low enough... I'll likely add George of the Jungle and Birdman and Galaxy Trio to the mix. Those are DVD (and "need" BR upgrades...).
Old 08-06-21, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I have Penelope Pitstop on DVD - because I found it at BL for $5 and have granddaughters. I never cared for that one back then and really don't know if I've watched the DVD (I'm at work so can't check). I've also not upgraded it to BR. I probably will if the price drops low enough... I'll likely add George of the Jungle and Birdman and Galaxy Trio to the mix. Those are DVD (and "need" BR upgrades...).
Pretty sure I got my Penelope DVDs at Big Lots during that awesome few months where they had everything...I kind of miss those days! I won't say it's my favorite of those cartoons, but it's up there. I doubt I'd upgrade to BR though.
Old 08-06-21, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

In the spirit of current events I watched Animalympics. I remembered a few parts including the runners that fall in love so not bad for not having seen it since the '80s on cable. I learned that summer and winter parts were separate specials but were later combined into the movie version.
Old 08-06-21, 04:17 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I am really enjoying Star Blazers 2199. It's a great remake that manages to capture the spirit of the original.
Old 08-06-21, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty sure I got my Penelope DVDs at Big Lots during that awesome few months where they had everything...I kind of miss those days! I won't say it's my favorite of those cartoons, but it's up there. I doubt I'd upgrade to BR though.
Got home and looked at my database - Nope. I've not yet watched Penelope so may get that one out for a viewing and to see if I still have the same opinion (likely as I rarely change my mind about things I've watched no matter how recent or long ago it may have been).
LJG765 (08-07-21)
Old 08-07-21, 10:04 AM

Watched the new Suicide Squad movie last night so not much time for toons. Got in about a half hour of Looney Tunes.
Old 08-07-21, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I started last night with the first 6 episodes of Jonny Quest. This one holds up for me very, very, well. I finished disc 1 this morning and started watching my new BR of Space Ghost. This, too, holds up for me though not quite as well as Jonny Quest. A lot of that has to do with the stories being compressed into a short ~7 minutes.
Old 08-07-21, 11:11 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm a fan of Lin-Manuel Miranda, and the new animated Netflix movie "Vivo" was a delight - Sony Pictures Animation on a roll here this year!
Old 08-07-21, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I’ve been browsing Amazon lately, since I have $50 in gift card credit. I’ve thought about some of the cartoons I grew up watching, like Mighty Orbots. That was one of my favorite Saturday morning cartoons in 1984. Even though I have the series on digital through the Apple Store, I’ve also considered double dipping to have a physical copy of the complete series of Voltron ​​​​​​. Some of the Hanna Barbera sets also look interesting.
Old 08-07-21, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

I was a Wacky Races fan back in the day, and I own the Penelope Pitstop DVDs, but I’m not sure if I’ve ever watched them either. Maybe I watched one and had enough?

Last edited by davidh777; 08-07-21 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-07-21, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
I'm a fan of Lin-Manuel Miranda, and the new animated Netflix movie "Vivo" was a delight - Sony Pictures Animation on a roll here this year!
I'll have to give this one a view too this month. I recently received access to Netflix so I might as well take advantage!

I’ve been browsing Amazon lately, since I have $50 in gift card credit. I’ve thought about some of the cartoons I grew up watching, like Mighty Orbots. That was one of my favorite Saturday morning cartoons in 1984. Even though I have the series on digital through the Apple Store, I’ve also considered double dipping to have a physical copy of the complete series of Voltron ​​​​​​. Some of the Hanna Barbera sets also look interesting.
I could be wrong, but I feel like you try to watch a lot of Voltron during challenges? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else, but if it's you, you might want to grab that physical copy. I take advantage of digital copies/streaming, but I'm always aware that streaming might not be an option just because rights change and other issues...

Originally Posted by davidh777
I was a Wacky Races fan back in the day, and I own the DVDs, but I’m not sure if I’ve ever watched them either. Maybe I watched one and had enough?
I've never watched more than an episode or two here and there myself. I do enjoy some of the characters involved in the races though.
Old 08-08-21, 09:51 AM

Last night I watched "claymation" and CGI shorts alongside a couple Mike Judge shorts on YouTube for the checklist. Watching stuff I wouldn't normally watch.

I remember watching Wallace and Gromit on PBS when I was a kid, "Cheese! Gromit, Cheeese!" The Mike Judge shorts weren't my cup of tea but King of the Hill was okay, but a little too low-key for my taste.
Old 08-08-21, 09:53 AM

I'll have to give this one a view too this month. I recently received access to Netflix so I might as well take advantage!

I could be wrong, but I feel like you try to watch a lot of Voltron during challenges? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else, but if it's you, you might want to grab that physical copy. I take advantage of digital copies/streaming, but I'm always aware that streaming might not be an option just because rights change and other issues...

I've never watched more than an episode or two here and there myself. I do enjoy some of the characters involved in the races though.
Wacky Races was good, but I liked The Perils of Penelope Pitstop more.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.