Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pre-Horror Challenge 14: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Subset construction is officially underway!

Previously used subsets used can be found on post 3.

2018 themes list can be found here.

Subset volunteers needed: 3



IMDB advanced title search

Horror Films by year starting 1895

Print Wikipost

Pre-Horror Challenge 14: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Old 09-05-18, 07:56 AM
  #301  
Senior Member
 
WillieMLF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Not Every Man Really Lives
Posts: 772
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 14: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
For what it's worth, there is a DVD release of Dr. Caligari, although it's not a great one. From what I understand, the owner of the film rights owns the adult website Excalibur Films. There's a DVD listed there. I have been told it's the only release of the film, but it's not much of a release. Still, it's something.

Just a reminder that this link is NSFW.

So, is it an adult film?

I would be all for it either way. I'm assuming it's an adult film if you can only get it at Excalibur.
WillieMLF is offline  
Old 09-05-18, 08:50 AM
  #302  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
clckworang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The toe nail of Texas
Posts: 7,334
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 14: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Originally Posted by WillieMLF View Post
So, is it an adult film?

I would be all for it either way. I'm assuming it's an adult film if you can only get it at Excalibur.
It's not an adult film in the sense that there's no hardcore sexual content, but it would fall under the category of erotic horror. It just happens that's the only place that has released it. My friend ordered a copy a while back. It came in a default Excalibur Films DVD case, no special cover or sleeve, just the film synopsis, so it kind of looks like it's porn.
clckworang is offline  
Old 09-05-18, 12:26 PM
  #303  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 219
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 14: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

I will volunteer for a subset pick, Chad. Here are a few choices.

Horror Anthologies
Three. . . Extremes https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0420251/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Kwaidan https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058279/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Bloody Birthday Parties
Happy Death Day https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5308322/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Horrorspondents: You're On The Air!
Quarantine https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1082868/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Jawsploitation
The Shallows https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4052882/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Dogs / Bogs / & Logs
Cujo https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085382/?ref_=nv_sr_1
hbsvb is offline  
Old 09-05-18, 05:34 PM
  #304  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Posts: 11,203
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 14: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Originally Posted by SterlingBen View Post
I Saw The Devil was on my suggestions
My bad; apparently overlooked carrying it over. Still, the themes that sync with it were already occupied, so it wouldn't have made it anyway.

But I think there was only a total of 5 6 overall counting the one I recently added.

Last edited by Chad; 09-05-18 at 05:53 PM.
Chad is offline  
Old 09-05-18, 05:44 PM
  #305  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Posts: 11,203
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 14: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

That's all the feedback I need for Dr. Caligari. It's on the list.

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
For what it's worth, there is a DVD release of Dr. Caligari, although it's not a great one. From what I understand, the owner of the film rights owns the adult website Excalibur Films. There's a DVD listed there. I have been told it's the only release of the film, but it's not much of a release. Still, it's something.

Just a reminder that this link is NSFW.
Yeah, I was wrong about it never making it past VHS. Just learned there was also a LaserDisc release.
Chad is offline  
Old 09-05-18, 05:51 PM
  #306  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Posts: 11,203
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 14: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Originally Posted by hbsvb View Post
I will volunteer for a subset pick, Chad. Here are a few choices.

Horror Anthologies
Three. . . Extremes https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0420251/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Kwaidan https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058279/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Bloody Birthday Parties
Happy Death Day https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5308322/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Horrorspondents: You're On The Air!
Quarantine https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1082868/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Jawsploitation
The Shallows https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4052882/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Dogs / Bogs / & Logs
Cujo https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085382/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Thanks, that puts us at two empty subset spots that still need claiming.
Chad is offline  
Old 09-05-18, 06:59 PM
  #307  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 539
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 14: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I definitely appreciate it, but I was able to use a title from your original subset suggestions.
Cool. Getting that Christmas feeling anticipating what present I'll receive!
mallratcal is offline  
Old 09-06-18, 11:09 AM
  #308  
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 3
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 14: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

I lurked around this challenge last year, and I'm still getting movie ideas off that thread. I decided to register and participate this year, though I won't get anything close to 100. Mostly I enjoy seeing everyone's lists and learning about movies I never heard of.

Since you still need subset volunteers, I thought I'd pipe up. Here are some suggestions.

Halloween – Boys in the Trees (2016), Blood on Satan's Claw (if it can be considered a Samhain film)

Rocktober Blood – Trouble Every Day (2001), Pan’s Labyrinth (2006), Hardware (1990), The Burning (1981), The New York Ripper (1982), Who Can Kill a Child? (1976)

Jawsploitation – Kingdom of the Spiders (1977), Long Weekend (1978) - rec'd before but I'll vote for this too

Bloody Birthday Parties – A bunch of people already said Happy Death Day (2017), but maybe if you use mine their lists can fill others slots. Also from the list: Beyond The Door (1974)

Horrorspondents – Shutter (2004) - Asian, Maniac Cop (1988), As Above, So Below (2014 - excellent found footage)
Elliot57 is offline  
Old 09-06-18, 11:21 AM
  #309  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,570
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 14: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Welcome, Elliot. Cool to see a [Edit: new] participant!

Last edited by Undeadcow; 09-06-18 at 02:36 PM.
Undeadcow is offline  
Old 09-06-18, 12:38 PM
  #310  
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 3
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 14: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Originally Posted by Undeadcow View Post
Welcome, Elliot. Cool to see a participant!
Thanks for the welcome.
Elliot57 is offline  
Old 09-06-18, 02:27 PM
  #311  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 597
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 14: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Yes, welcome Elliot57! The Horror challenge is great but it is much more satisfying the more you participate. We look forward to your being part of the group.
orlmac is offline  
Old 09-06-18, 07:59 PM
  #312  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Posts: 11,203
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 14: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Originally Posted by Elliot57 View Post
I lurked around this challenge last year, and I'm still getting movie ideas off that thread. I decided to register and participate this year, though I won't get anything close to 100. Mostly I enjoy seeing everyone's lists and learning about movies I never heard of.

Since you still need subset volunteers, I thought I'd pipe up. Here are some suggestions.

Halloween – Boys in the Trees (2016), Blood on Satan's Claw (if it can be considered a Samhain film)

Rocktober Blood – Trouble Every Day (2001), Pan’s Labyrinth (2006), Hardware (1990), The Burning (1981), The New York Ripper (1982), Who Can Kill a Child? (1976)

Jawsploitation – Kingdom of the Spiders (1977), Long Weekend (1978) - rec'd before but I'll vote for this too

Bloody Birthday Parties – A bunch of people already said Happy Death Day (2017), but maybe if you use mine their lists can fill others slots. Also from the list: Beyond The Door (1974)

Horrorspondents – Shutter (2004) - Asian, Maniac Cop (1988), As Above, So Below (2014 - excellent found footage)
Thank you, Elliot. And welcome aboard.

That brings us down to one vacant spot left on the volunteer list.
Chad is offline  
Old 09-06-18, 09:02 PM
  #313  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
SethDLH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 5,720
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 14: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Thank you, Elliot. And welcome aboard.

That brings us down to one vacant spot left on the volunteer list.
I'll take care of that last spot Chad.
SethDLH is offline  
Old 09-06-18, 09:16 PM
  #314  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Posts: 11,203
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 14: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Originally Posted by SethDLH View Post
I'll take care of that last spot Chad.
Thanks, Seth. That officially put the kibosh to the volunteer spots.

And here's the remaining four themes to choose from:

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/13401992-post291.html
Chad is offline  
Old 09-06-18, 09:41 PM
  #315  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
SethDLH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 5,720
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 14: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Thanks, Seth. That officially put the kibosh to the volunteer spots.

And here's the remaining four themes to choose from:

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/13401992-post291.html

Jawsploitation - Day of the Animals (shudder), Tentacles (youtube), Grizzly (youtube), The Bees (shudder)

Rocktober Blood - Zombie Holocaust (shudder, Burial Ground (shudder), The Beyond (shudder), Street Trash (shudder)

Celtic Horror - Alisons's Birthday (youtube)

Horrorspondents - Cannibal Holocaust (shudder), Tenebre (shudder)
SethDLH is offline  
Old 09-07-18, 02:31 AM
  #316  
Member
 
JAX036's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 51
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 14: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Cannot wait to try and find some of our subset picks. Its usually hard to find some of the subset picks in Australia in time... if they arrive late at least I have content for next year
JAX036 is offline  
Old 09-07-18, 08:55 AM
  #317  
Senior Member
 
jholmes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Lancaster County, Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 336
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 14: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Sounds like we'll be getting the final subset list soon. Can't wait!
jholmes is offline  
Old 09-07-18, 10:15 AM
  #318  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 34,621
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 14: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Here are my mostly mild recommendations:

Jawsploitation
Jaws 3D - Amazon Prime
Piranha - Amazon Prime
Grizzly - Rifftrax version Amazon Prime
Deep Blue Sea - Netflix
Tremors

Rocktober
The Conjuring - Netflix
Under the Skin - Netflix
Burial Ground - Amazon Prime
Zombie (1979) - Amazon Prime & Vudu free
Inferno - Vudu free

Halloween
Blood on Satan’s Claw - Amazon Prime

Horrorspondents
Scream 2 - Netflix
Humanoids from the Deep - Amazon Prime
Quarantine - not streaming, but we’ve never had a Q film as a subset
Tusk - Netflix
Trevor is offline  
Old 09-07-18, 06:08 PM
  #319  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Posts: 11,203
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 14: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Here are my mostly mild recommendations:

Jawsploitation
Jaws 3D - Amazon Prime
Piranha - Amazon Prime
Grizzly - Rifftrax version Amazon Prime
Deep Blue Sea - Netflix
Tremors

Rocktober
The Conjuring - Netflix
Under the Skin - Netflix
Burial Ground - Amazon Prime
Zombie (1979) - Amazon Prime & Vudu free
Inferno - Vudu free

Halloween
Blood on Satan’s Claw - Amazon Prime

Horrorspondents
Scream 2 - Netflix
Humanoids from the Deep - Amazon Prime
Quarantine - not streaming, but we’ve never had a Q film as a subset
Tusk - Netflix
And thank you, Trevor. We're almost there.
Chad is offline  
Old 09-07-18, 06:20 PM
  #320  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Posts: 11,203
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 14: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Originally Posted by jholmes View Post
Sounds like we'll be getting the final subset list soon. Can't wait!
It's very close, and we're doing the best we have in ages timewise.


We just just need to hear from:

indiephantom

Dick Laurent


And, unless I make any last-minute changes, the current two unclaimed themes are:

All Hallows Eve Horrifically Hideous Hellfest / Samhain: An Evening of Celtic Horror

Jawsploitation


Post 291 will have the most up-to-date info.
Chad is offline  
Old 09-07-18, 06:27 PM
  #321  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Posts: 11,203
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 14: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Also, numbercrunch, I sent you a PM, but I'll post it in here too...

I used your picks for the chronological theme, but I somehow missed that "Hour of the Wolf" was already used. Could you give another pick for 1968?
Chad is offline  
Old 09-07-18, 11:41 PM
  #322  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
SterlingBen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 6,924
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 14: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Originally Posted by Chad View Post
My bad; apparently overlooked carrying it over. Still, the themes that sync with it were already occupied, so it wouldn't have made it anyway.

But I think there was only a total of 5 6 overall counting the one I recently added.
Oops, thought I read Asian Horror.
SterlingBen is offline  
Old 09-08-18, 08:31 AM
  #323  
Senior Member
 
numbercrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: new orleans
Posts: 515
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 14: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Also, numbercrunch, I sent you a PM, but I'll post it in here too...

I used your picks for the chronological theme, but I somehow missed that "Hour of the Wolf" was already used. Could you give another pick for 1968?
no problem. i am on it. be back with my suggestions today.
numbercrunch is offline  
Old 09-08-18, 08:38 AM
  #324  
Senior Member
 
numbercrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: new orleans
Posts: 515
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 14: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

For 1968 I am going to suggest Fangs of the Living Dead. It just got a nice blu ray release from Scream Factory. Alternatively, The Mad Doctor of Blood Island is my backup suggestion.
numbercrunch is offline  
Old 09-08-18, 05:12 PM
  #325  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Posts: 11,203
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 14: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Originally Posted by numbercrunch View Post
For 1968 I am going to suggest Fangs of the Living Dead. It just got a nice blu ray release from Scream Factory. Alternatively, The Mad Doctor of Blood Island is my backup suggestion.
Thanks, got 'em.

Also need to add those to my collection.
Chad is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.