Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-17-17, 07:19 AM   #126
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,665
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

I started watching Schoolhouse Rock last night. I'm really enjoying these songs, and it takes me back to my childhood, when I would watch Saturday Morning Cartoons.
__________________
2017 October Horror Challenge
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-17, 09:19 AM   #127
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,665
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

I've been interested in Pokemon lately, so when I was browsing Hulu, I started watching Pokemon Diamond And Pearl. I enjoyed the first episode, and liked how the first episode focused on a new character, while keeping Ash till the end. The only thing I noticed was the new voices for Ash and Professor Oak. But I'm sure it won't take long to get used to them.
__________________
2017 October Horror Challenge
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-17, 03:31 PM   #128
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
LJG765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,035
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokitty View Post
I started watching Schoolhouse Rock last night. I'm really enjoying these songs, and it takes me back to my childhood, when I would watch Saturday Morning Cartoons.
Those are classic. I didn't watch it much, but those songs tend to stick with you!
__________________
July Sci-fi/Fantasy 2017; Aug. Animation 2017; Sept. Criterion 2017; Oct. Horror 2012; Nov. Comedy 2017; Holiday 2017; Jan. TV on DVD* 2017; Feb. Academy Awards 2017; Feb. Quadrennial Leap Day 2016; Mar. Action/Adv/Crime/Mystery 2017; May MYOC 2017; June Historical Appreciation 2014
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-17, 03:42 PM   #129
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 36,819
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG765 View Post
Those are classic. I didn't watch it much, but those songs tend to stick with you!
I didn't realize at the time that there was really good talent involved too. "Figure 8" is sung by one of my favorite jazz musicians, Blossom Dearie, and a few years back I went to a private-residence concert by another jazzer, Bob Dorough, who wrote "Three Is a Magic Number" and wrote and directed a bunch of episodes.
__________________
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-17, 07:37 PM   #130
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ash Ketchum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,609
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokitty View Post
I've been interested in Pokemon lately, so when I was browsing Hulu, I started watching Pokemon Diamond And Pearl. I enjoyed the first episode, and liked how the first episode focused on a new character, while keeping Ash till the end. The only thing I noticed was the new voices for Ash and Professor Oak. But I'm sure it won't take long to get used to them.
I remember when they changed the voices, hardcore longtime fans (like me and my daughter) were furious. My daughter and I actually met four of the original voice cast and did a joint interview with the actress who plays Ash (hence my attachment to the character, ahem). So we had some investment in that cast. But, alas, I got used to the new voices and have watched the show pretty steadily for nearly 20 years now. (My daughter's interest flagged as she reached adulthood. My inner child, however, never loses interest in this show or Power Rangers.)

New episodes of Pokémon Sun & Moon appear on Disney XD on the weekends. It's not my favorite season, but some episodes are better than others. I really liked the two previous seasons, XY and XYZ, and devoted a blog entry to them.
__________________
“Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice.” - Will Durant
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-17, 08:03 PM   #131
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
LJG765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,035
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I didn't realize at the time that there was really good talent involved too. "Figure 8" is sung by one of my favorite jazz musicians, Blossom Dearie, and a few years back I went to a private-residence concert by another jazzer, Bob Dorough, who wrote "Three Is a Magic Number" and wrote and directed a bunch of episodes.
I find that when the people who make the cartoon/kid's show give it respect, they end up with a much better product. While I didn't realize that they hired real talent for the songs, I'm not too surprised since it holds up so well and is so well loved.

A little off topic, but since I'm the host, I'm going to forgive myself. Anyway, I just found out today that there is going to be a movie called, "Goodbye, Christopher Robin" that is based on A.A. Milne. It's coming out this fall and I'm very excited to see it.
__________________
July Sci-fi/Fantasy 2017; Aug. Animation 2017; Sept. Criterion 2017; Oct. Horror 2012; Nov. Comedy 2017; Holiday 2017; Jan. TV on DVD* 2017; Feb. Academy Awards 2017; Feb. Quadrennial Leap Day 2016; Mar. Action/Adv/Crime/Mystery 2017; May MYOC 2017; June Historical Appreciation 2014
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-17, 03:02 PM   #132
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,265
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

My 6 year old granddaughter announced yesterday that she *really* likes "Pixie and Dixie," likes "Yogi Bear," and doesn't care for "Huckleberry Hound" - at all. We're watching "The Huckleberry Hound Show" DVDs and I have to skip the toons with Huck. I don't quite get it as, to me, those don't seem that different from the other 2 segments. Oh well...

I've not yet told her I have the "Yogi Bear Show" set. I'm going to break that one to her once we've made it through all the episodes of Huckleberry Hound, which could be this evening. We've been watching several episodes a day since Monday and only have 8 or so left. Since we're skipping the Huck ones it's going much faster than normal.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-17, 03:22 PM   #133
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 36,819
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG765 View Post
A little off topic, but since I'm the host, I'm going to forgive myself. Anyway, I just found out today that there is going to be a movie called, "Goodbye, Christopher Robin" that is based on A.A. Milne. It's coming out this fall and I'm very excited to see it.
I recently heard about that and am totally in. The interesting thing is that Disney also has a movie in development called Christopher Robin starring Ewan McGregor. These things often happen in pairs.
__________________
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-17, 04:58 PM   #134
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ash Ketchum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,609
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
My 6 year old granddaughter announced yesterday that she *really* likes "Pixie and Dixie," likes "Yogi Bear," and doesn't care for "Huckleberry Hound" - at all. We're watching "The Huckleberry Hound Show" DVDs and I have to skip the toons with Huck. I don't quite get it as, to me, those don't seem that different from the other 2 segments. Oh well...

I've not yet told her I have the "Yogi Bear Show" set. I'm going to break that one to her once we've made it through all the episodes of Huckleberry Hound, which could be this evening. We've been watching several episodes a day since Monday and only have 8 or so left. Since we're skipping the Huck ones it's going much faster than normal.
I watched a documentary on Hanna-Barbera a few years ago and it included a song sequence from a Yogi Bear movie (HEY THERE IT'S YOGI BEAR, 1964, I believe) that was absolutely beautiful and I was so angry that I hadn't known about it sooner and been able to actually watch the actual movie when it aired on TV. (Now I have to pay $2.99 to watch it on Amazon Prime.)
__________________
“Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice.” - Will Durant
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-17, 09:20 PM   #135
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
LJG765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,035
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I recently heard about that and am totally in. The interesting thing is that Disney also has a movie in development called Christopher Robin starring Ewan McGregor. These things often happen in pairs.
Huh, I'll have to keep my eye out for the Disney one. I hadn't heard of it before now, so thank you! I'm a big Winnie the Pooh fan, well, Eeyore at least and enjoy the older cartoons. The newer tv show was a bit weird for me, though.

I also enjoy the Russian shorts (I found them on Youtube) that qualify for at least one of the check list items. Winnie has a very unique voice.
__________________
July Sci-fi/Fantasy 2017; Aug. Animation 2017; Sept. Criterion 2017; Oct. Horror 2012; Nov. Comedy 2017; Holiday 2017; Jan. TV on DVD* 2017; Feb. Academy Awards 2017; Feb. Quadrennial Leap Day 2016; Mar. Action/Adv/Crime/Mystery 2017; May MYOC 2017; June Historical Appreciation 2014
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-17, 12:16 AM   #136
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
LJG765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,035
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

For those of you with a Roku, another channel you may want to download is this one. It lets you watch the public domain films on Archive.org. There are tons of animated films. The only negative is on the opening screen they ask for bitcoin as a donation but it is NOT required to use the channel.
__________________
July Sci-fi/Fantasy 2017; Aug. Animation 2017; Sept. Criterion 2017; Oct. Horror 2012; Nov. Comedy 2017; Holiday 2017; Jan. TV on DVD* 2017; Feb. Academy Awards 2017; Feb. Quadrennial Leap Day 2016; Mar. Action/Adv/Crime/Mystery 2017; May MYOC 2017; June Historical Appreciation 2014
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-17, 06:33 PM   #137
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
coyoteblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,108
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

I just saw that Warner Archive is releasing a 5 disc dvd set of all the black & white Porky Pig cartoons, 101 shorts, for $48 on Sept. 19th. This is an important release, by any animation fan's standards.

Porky Pig 101 (MOD)
__________________
Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge1|2|3|4 Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge 1 October Horror Movie Challenge 7|8|9
Summer Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge 4|5|6|7 Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge 2|4|5|6|7 November Comedy Challenge 1|2|3 Animation 3|4|5|7
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-17, 11:05 PM   #138
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,665
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

I just finished a good documentary on dinosaur movies, called Dinosaurs vs Apes: Dinosaur Movies, on Amazon Prime. It covered all of the dinosaur movies from the past, starting with the first cartoon dinosaurs. A large portion of the movie was dedicated to stop motion, with particular focus on both Willis O'Brien, and Ray Harryhausen. One line was kind of comical. In talking about the remake of One Million Years BC, one of the hosts made the comment that if cavemen looked like Raquel Welch, we've regressed.
__________________
2017 October Horror Challenge
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-17, 05:10 PM   #139
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
LJG765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,035
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Just finished watching Kung Fu Panda 3 and really recommend it if you haven't seen it. It's really cute and made me laugh throughout it. Doesn't happen often when sequels can hold up to the original, and while I wouldn't say this one is better than the first, I'd say it's almost as good.
__________________
July Sci-fi/Fantasy 2017; Aug. Animation 2017; Sept. Criterion 2017; Oct. Horror 2012; Nov. Comedy 2017; Holiday 2017; Jan. TV on DVD* 2017; Feb. Academy Awards 2017; Feb. Quadrennial Leap Day 2016; Mar. Action/Adv/Crime/Mystery 2017; May MYOC 2017; June Historical Appreciation 2014
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-17, 01:38 AM   #140
Senior Member
 
pacaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 921
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Just watched Tower on Netflix twice! My wife walked in about 2/3s of the way through, so we finished it and then started it over. It was excellent! If you get a chance to watch it, it's worth it. A great look at a very tragic event in US history. A very interesting use of animation in a documentary.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-17, 02:07 PM   #141
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ash Ketchum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,609
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

I didn't feel like doing anything on Saturday (heat wave in NYC, plus tiredness from physical therapy for a shoulder problem), so I stayed in and watched nine anime episodes--one on On Demand, two on Disney XD, and six on DVD.

So far I've watched nothing but anime for this challenge, a function of hundreds of anime series DVDs around the house and several series I want to watch on Amazon Prime and Adult Swim On Demand. It's the path of least resistance. I tried watching a Donald Duck cartoon on one of the Disney Treasures sets and I just couldn't stick with it. Unlike Warner Bros. cartoons, Disney cartoons just aren't funny.

I've most enjoyed "Sailor Stars" (1996), the fifth and last season of the original 1990s run of "Sailor Moon." It never played on U.S. TV nor has it ever been available here on disc. Way too kinky for a kiddie show. In it, the Sailor Soldiers (all eight of them--and I believe there's a Sailor Saturn we haven't seen yet) must contend with the Sailor Starlights, sexy female alien fighters who come to earth and moonlight as The Three Lights, three males in an idol singer boy band (pictured below). They all fight sexy alien villainesses who turn prominent figures in the girls' lives into demonic versions of themselves. It's pretty wild, to say the least. I'm up to ep. #24. I watched the first 8 eps. for the Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge in July.


__________________
“Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice.” - Will Durant

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 08-21-17 at 08:11 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-17, 03:22 PM   #142
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,265
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
I watched a documentary on Hanna-Barbera a few years ago and it included a song sequence from a Yogi Bear movie (HEY THERE IT'S YOGI BEAR, 1964, I believe) that was absolutely beautiful and I was so angry that I hadn't known about it sooner and been able to actually watch the actual movie when it aired on TV. (Now I have to pay $2.99 to watch it on Amazon Prime.)
My granddaughter liking the show and me not owning this movie coupled with my general completist mentality caused me to order a copy. I hope it's not the usual lame post-series film attempt. I generally don't care for post-series "telefilms" so I don't hold out much hope this will be watchable but the few reviews I've found are positive so...
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-17, 03:34 PM   #143
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,665
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

I watched the first episode of Dragon Ball Super earlier today when I found the show on Crunchyroll. It could be for a number of reasons, but it didn't actually do anything for me. Which seems odd, as I enjoyed Dragon Ball Z. It could be I just wasn't in the mood for Dragon Ball after all, or maybe the show just takes a while to get going. Or it is even possible that it just isn't as good as Dragon Ball Z. It seemed to completely ignore the events of Dragon Ball GT, as when it signed on it only referenced the final attack by Majin Buu.
__________________
2017 October Horror Challenge
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-17, 05:39 PM   #144
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 500
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

I broke the 50 hour mark today. I'd say I've had a tremendous challenge so far, thanks again this year to DC Superhero movies. Unfortunately, I have now seen almost all of the DC and Marvel animation movies so I will have to find something new next year. Of course, my obsession is finishing the checklists so that I see a wide variety and it hasn't disappointed. I still have a few checkoffs to do but I can take it slower from here on out.
__________________
Horror Challenge 2009,2010,2011,2012,2013,2015,2016
Sci-Fi Challenge 2010,2011,2012,2013,2015,2016
Animation Challenge 2010,2011,2015,2016
Academy Awards Challenge2011,2012,2013
Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Challenge 2012,2013
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-17, 06:37 PM   #145
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,665
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

I haven't counted my hours, but I hit the 100 title mark today. It was a combination of shorts, half hour cartoons, hour long shows and movies.
__________________
2017 October Horror Challenge
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-17, 01:14 PM   #146
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
LJG765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,035
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokitty View Post
I haven't counted my hours, but I hit the 100 title mark today. It was a combination of shorts, half hour cartoons, hour long shows and movies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlmac View Post
I broke the 50 hour mark today. I'd say I've had a tremendous challenge so far, thanks again this year to DC Superhero movies. Unfortunately, I have now seen almost all of the DC and Marvel animation movies so I will have to find something new next year. Of course, my obsession is finishing the checklists so that I see a wide variety and it hasn't disappointed. I still have a few checkoffs to do but I can take it slower from here on out.
Wow, your both going strong this month! I hope there have been more good watches than bad in there!

Didn't have a lot of time yesterday to watch, so put on Steamboat Willie. It always amazes me how that short turned into such a huge corporation! Don't forget, it started with a mouse!
__________________
July Sci-fi/Fantasy 2017; Aug. Animation 2017; Sept. Criterion 2017; Oct. Horror 2012; Nov. Comedy 2017; Holiday 2017; Jan. TV on DVD* 2017; Feb. Academy Awards 2017; Feb. Quadrennial Leap Day 2016; Mar. Action/Adv/Crime/Mystery 2017; May MYOC 2017; June Historical Appreciation 2014
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-17, 02:26 PM   #147
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,665
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Considering the fact that I only had one bad watch so far, and that may even have been due to not being in the mood for that show, I'm pleased.

One of the presents I got for my birthday was a DVD with four Pokemon movies on it. I just opened it up today and watched the first movie on the disc, Pokemon Heroes: The Movie. I've only seen a few Pokemon movies before, so this was a new watch, and I enjoyed it very much. It even had a moving scene that brought a tear to my eye.
Spoiler:
The scene was when Latios sacrificed himself to save the town.
__________________
2017 October Horror Challenge
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-17, 04:06 PM   #148
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ash Ketchum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,609
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokitty View Post
Considering the fact that I only had one bad watch so far, and that may even have been due to not being in the mood for that show, I'm pleased.

One of the presents I got for my birthday was a DVD with four Pokemon movies on it. I just opened it up today and watched the first movie on the disc, Pokemon Heroes: The Movie. I've only seen a few Pokemon movies before, so this was a new watch, and I enjoyed it very much. It even had a moving scene that brought a tear to my eye.
Spoiler:
The scene was when Latios sacrificed himself to save the town.
I love the Pokémon movies. I used to review them for Animerica Magazine, but when that publication went under, I shifted to reviewing them for IMDB and my blog.

A recent one, GENESECT AND THE LEGEND AWAKENED, brought the crew to Manhattan and much of the action takes place in a highly fanciful version of Central Park:

__________________
“Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice.” - Will Durant
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-17, 08:27 PM   #149
Senior Member
 
malazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 549
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokitty View Post
I haven't counted my hours, but I hit the 100 title mark today. It was a combination of shorts, half hour cartoons, hour long shows and movies.
I hit the 100 entry mark today too. I finished up a rewatch of Elfen Lied on blu-ray which was the first time watching it in over a decade. It was still good, but old me didn't like it as much as 20s me since it definitely has some over-the-top exploitation elements in a not good way.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-17, 08:48 PM   #150
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: somewhere shopping
Posts: 31,864
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

About to watch something that I'm pretty sure no one else here will ever watch, a DVD from a comic book sketchbook about character design and such. Hadn't really planned on watching it yet, but stumbled upon it and figured might as well do it this month.
http://creaturebox.com/thoughts-scribbles-madness/
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 PM.


Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0