Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Old 08-13-17, 06:34 AM
  #101  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ash Ketchum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,615
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!



A new Japanese animated feature opened theatrically in New York and I went to see it on Friday. IN THIS CORNER OF THE WORLD follows Suzu, a young girl in western Japan from 1933-1946 as she goes to school, draws pictures of everything she sees and eventually is sent from Hiroshima to neighboring Kure to marry a boy in an arranged marriage and keep house for his family. The war is always in the background although rarely commented on directly. The port of Kure is used to dock various Navy ships, including the notorious battleship Yamato, and the characters often look out over the harbor and comment on the ships and Suzu even draws pix of them. Because of all this, the town becomes a frequent target of bombing raids and Suzu and her family endure it all stoically. Eventually, the date of August 6, 1945 arrives and Hiroshima goes up in an atomic blast, witnessed by the characters in Kure. We then see a few scenes of the aftermath.

It's an honest portrait of life in wartime Japan, although it lacks the emotional punch of such similar animated films as GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, BAREFOOT GEN and KAYOKO'S DIARY. Suzu is somewhat dimwitted and she sees the world as something to draw. Even when the bombs are hitting and the skies are filled with flak, she sees it all as pieces of art until her father-in-law slams her to the ground to cover her. There are some abstract sequences designed to convey tragic occurrences.

It's a very unusual film and I found it consistently engaging, although I would like to have seen some critique of Japan's complicity in its own destruction and the way it brainwashed its citizens into a "to the last man" mindset, something referenced in the film, but not in a way that condemns it. If they'd all died fighting, as the Japanese military government seemed to want, we wouldn't have films like this or MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO. We wouldn't have Godzilla, anime, manga, J-pop, Ultraman, Samurai films, Power Rangers, etc., etc., etc. What kind of world would that have left us?
Ash Ketchum is online now  
Old 08-14-17, 07:24 AM
  #102  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,539
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

By watching the last episode of Season One of Dogfights, I just finished my first complete season of a show this Challenge. It was an interesting episode about the sinking of the German battleship, Bismarck. That episode showed that instead of battleships, airpower was the future of warfare.
shadokitty is offline  
Old 08-14-17, 08:01 PM
  #103  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,919
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

We had a great time at Blanchard Springs/Mountain View Saturday! It was a great day for a pic-i-nic and no bears accosted us! We also did some go-kart racing - it must have been a sight with the 6 year old sitting in my lap, spread eagle so we could steer, zipping 'round the track! I didn't cut 'em any slack and we were flying and sliding around corners! She was going to try it alone but couldn't quite reach the peddles so it was a ride-along affair. We totally pigged out on taffy on the ride home (a bit over 2 hours), eating most of the 2.17 pounds we'd purchased.

And I was mistaken! It was the 10 year old who referenced Yogi Bear, not the 6 year old. While driving over she mentioned Yogi Bear getting our pic-i-nic basket and her little sister asked "Who's that?" so she looked up a video on her phone for her sister to watch. She liked it and wanted to see more.

We took care of that after school and work today. We watched 5 episodes of The Huckleberry Hound Show and she loved every segment! Coincidentally... our favorite taffy flavor was Huckleberry (between the 4 of us we got 15 or so flavors)! Of course, we didn't get as much of that one as others since we'd not had that flavor before so weren't sure if it'd be any good. And I saw the licorice taffy in a totally separate "Licorice Lovers" section after we checked out! I love licorice and would have likely purchased far too much had I seen it sooner but we'd spent more than I planned so it had to wait until next time.

They're all ready to go back. The older 2 want to go on the "Wild Cave Tour" (you have to be 10 or older so the little one is out) where they provide you with a guide, coveralls, knee pads, gloves, and a hard hat with lamp for a 5 hour trip into the undeveloped middle area of the caverns. I think that one sounds pretty neat myself! It'll take some planning as it also requires lace up, over-the-ankle, hiking boots (you provide yourself along with snacks and water) and is $75 per person. By way of comparison, the other tours through well lit areas on concrete walkways, are $5-$10 per person.
BobO'Link is offline  
Old 08-14-17, 08:05 PM
  #104  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 41,624
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post


A new Japanese animated feature opened theatrically in New York and I went to see it on Friday. IN THIS CORNER OF THE WORLD follows Suzu, a young girl in western Japan from 1933-1946 as she goes to school, draws pictures of everything she sees and eventually is sent from Hiroshima to neighboring Kure to marry a boy in an arranged marriage and keep house for his family. The war is always in the background although rarely commented on directly. The port of Kure is used to dock various Navy ships, including the notorious battleship Yamato, and the characters often look out over the harbor and comment on the ships and Suzu even draws pix of them. Because of all this, the town becomes a frequent target of bombing raids and Suzu and her family endure it all stoically. Eventually, the date of August 6, 1945 arrives and Hiroshima goes up in an atomic blast, witnessed by the characters in Kure. We then see a few scenes of the aftermath.

It's an honest portrait of life in wartime Japan, although it lacks the emotional punch of such similar animated films as GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, BAREFOOT GEN and KAYOKO'S DIARY. Suzu is somewhat dimwitted and she sees the world as something to draw. Even when the bombs are hitting and the skies are filled with flak, she sees it all as pieces of art until her father-in-law slams her to the ground to cover her. There are some abstract sequences designed to convey tragic occurrences.

It's a very unusual film and I found it consistently engaging, although I would like to have seen some critique of Japan's complicity in its own destruction and the way it brainwashed its citizens into a "to the last man" mindset, something referenced in the film, but not in a way that condemns it. If they'd all died fighting, as the Japanese military government seemed to want, we wouldn't have films like this or MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO. We wouldn't have Godzilla, anime, manga, J-pop, Ultraman, Samurai films, Power Rangers, etc., etc., etc. What kind of world would that have left us?
Thanks! I noticed this in my local multiplex's schedule for Friday and was wondering what it was.
davidh777 is offline  
Old 08-14-17, 08:23 PM
  #105  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
LJG765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,422
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

orlmac: Check your private messages-have a bit of surprise/help for you!

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
We had a great time at Blanchard Springs/Mountain View Saturday!
Sounds like you had a great day!
LJG765 is offline  
Old 08-15-17, 12:27 PM
  #106  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
coyoteblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,315
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

I just ordered Grendel Grendel Grendel (1981), since it's shipping from New Zealand, I have my doubts about it arriving before the end of the challenge, though it could arrive as early as the 29th.

It's an adaption of John Gardner's "Grendel", by Australian director Alex Stitt. I'm reasonably sure I've never heard of it, though it's possible I have simply forgotten about it because I never had an opportunity to watch it. Well, that problem is solved.
coyoteblue is offline  
Old 08-15-17, 12:28 PM
  #107  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,539
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Due to a death in the family, all the wind has gone out of my sails for working on the Challenge. My uncle recently passed away.
shadokitty is offline  
Old 08-15-17, 03:19 PM
  #108  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,539
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Animation may help me out of my funk after losing my uncle. Later today, I'm going to try watching something for the Challenge. I do have a lot to choose from. I'm sure I'll find something that will help.
shadokitty is offline  
Old 08-15-17, 04:56 PM
  #109  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
LJG765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,422
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Originally Posted by shadokitty View Post
Due to a death in the family, all the wind has gone out of my sails for working on the Challenge. My uncle recently passed away.
So sorry to hear that, shadokitty. My sympathies to you and your family.
LJG765 is offline  
Old 08-15-17, 04:58 PM
  #110  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
LJG765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,422
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

A friend posted this on their FB feed this morning and I thought I'd share.


It's a 10 minute video of Jim Henson and Kermit being interviewed by Johnny Carson. At the end of the interview is a short skit with Kermit and another muppet. It was a fun watch!
LJG765 is offline  
Old 08-15-17, 07:44 PM
  #111  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 34,616
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

^ LJG, I'll watch it if you tell me I can count it.

^^^ Shado, sorry to hear about your uncle. Do you have any special memories or stories you'd like to share?
Trevor is offline  
Old 08-15-17, 07:47 PM
  #112  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
LJG765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,422
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
^ LJG, I'll watch it if you tell me I can count it.
You can count it! It has enough puppetry that it'll count. I also think we might want to add Jim Henson to the checklist since puppetry counts for animation.
LJG765 is offline  
Old 08-15-17, 10:52 PM
  #113  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,539
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
^ LJG, I'll watch it if you tell me I can count it.

^^^ Shado, sorry to hear about your uncle. Do you have any special memories or stories you'd like to share?
I do have a special memory. When I was 7, I was at my grandparents farm, where he lived. I rode on my first horse, thanks to him. He held the reins and led the horse around the pasture with me riding.
shadokitty is offline  
Old 08-16-17, 01:19 AM
  #114  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,539
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

While browsing Netflix tonight, I discovered a new dinosaur documentary series, called Dino Hunt. When I saw it under new additions, I jumped at it. I found it to be a very interesting show that deals with paleontologists in Canada, hunting for the mysteries of the dinosaurs.
shadokitty is offline  
Old 08-16-17, 03:22 AM
  #115  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,539
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

I've got insomnia tonight, likely from sleeping too much yesterday, so I though I'd watch a movie. I decided on Puppet Master II, since I bought a 9 movie set of 1-9 at Wal-Mart a week or so ago. I've always enjoyed the series of movies, and with the puppets being animatronic, they also count for the Challenge.
shadokitty is offline  
Old 08-16-17, 10:23 AM
  #116  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 41,624
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
The first episode of Disney's new Duck Tales show is FREE on Amazon Video:

https://www.amazon.com/Woo-oo/dp/B074R6Z8Z5

It's also free at Google Play:

https://play.google.com/store/tv/sho...bcpKs6byGy2Whg
davidh777 is offline  
Old 08-16-17, 04:24 PM
  #117  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
LJG765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,422
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Thanks for sharing, I've been wanting to check it out and this will give me that chance. Think the cartoon starts airing next month? Is that right, does anyone know?

Sorry this took so long to get out to guys, but I wanted to wait until everything was confirmed, but here are the prize packs! Had to do a little shuffling as a couple weren't available anymore, but I think these look pretty good!

Just as a reminder: Names will be randomly selected from http://www.random.org/lists/ The top people, one prize per person, get something. Unfortunately, prizes can only go to people who live in the States.

Sponsors: GoldenWheels and HamiltonBooks!

Prize Pack 1:
1. Walt Disney's Mickey Mouse Tales: Vintage Tales from Disney's Most Popular Animated Short Films
2. Futurama: Beast with a Million Backs

Prize Pack 2:
1. Jim Henson's Tale of Sand: The Illustrated Screenplay
2. 9/Coraline BR
3. ParaNorman 3-D BR

Prize Pack 3:
1. Cracking Animation, 4th Ed. Revised: The Aardman Book of 3-D Animation
2. Fireball XL5: The Complete Series
LJG765 is offline  
Old 08-16-17, 05:51 PM
  #118  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 597
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Originally Posted by shadokitty View Post
Due to a death in the family, all the wind has gone out of my sails for working on the Challenge. My uncle recently passed away.
I'm very sorry to hear that shadokitty. I will definitely keep you in my thoughts! Knowing your interest in documentaries I suggest you watch The Sinking of the Luistania on The Silent Film Channel on Roku in a few days. I believe it is the first animated documentary made but I could be wrong (it's from 1918). It won't make you smile but I thought it may still be interesting to you. If you don't have Roku (my memory is rather poor but I thought you had it) it probably will be on YouTube.
orlmac is offline  
Old 08-16-17, 06:45 PM
  #119  
Senior Member
 
Indy24LA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 755
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Watched Trolls and it was like Tim Burton, Dr. Seuss and Peyo all threw up in the same bucket and out popped the movie Trolls.
Indy24LA is offline  
Old 08-16-17, 06:49 PM
  #120  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 41,624
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Thanks for the prize packs, LJG and Golden Wheels!
davidh777 is offline  
Old 08-16-17, 07:22 PM
  #121  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,539
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Originally Posted by orlmac View Post
I'm very sorry to hear that shadokitty. I will definitely keep you in my thoughts! Knowing your interest in documentaries I suggest you watch The Sinking of the Luistania on The Silent Film Channel on Roku in a few days. I believe it is the first animated documentary made but I could be wrong (it's from 1918). It won't make you smile but I thought it may still be interesting to you. If you don't have Roku (my memory is rather poor but I thought you had it) it probably will be on YouTube.
Thanks for the tip Orlmac. I'll look it up.

Great looking prizes. A big thanks to the generosity of Goldenwheels.

As for Ducktales, I think it has already started. I haven't seen it yet, because the animation style is so different than the series I remember.
shadokitty is offline  
Old 08-16-17, 10:07 PM
  #122  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
LJG765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,422
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Looks like DuckTales starts officially on Sept. 23rd. After watching the pilot, pretty sure I'm going to skip it. It's really hard for me to get used to the different voices. They're better after getting used to them over the 44 minutes or so, but still just aren't ringing true to me, especially Launchpad and Huey, Louie and Dewey.

Maybe a bit of spoilers:
Spoiler:
I do appreciate that they made Mrs. Beakley a stronger character in this version. She's a lot firmer and knows stuff is going on, not dopey, out of it like she often was in the original. Webby is a bit annoying but I like that she's into the adventure fully as much as the nephews. She's not a doll playing girl in this one, more likely to get into trouble, though she's more practical than the nephews.
LJG765 is offline  
Old 08-16-17, 10:38 PM
  #123  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
mrcellophane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 1,529
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Originally Posted by LJG765 View Post
Looks like DuckTales starts officially on Sept. 23rd. After watching the pilot, pretty sure I'm going to skip it. It's really hard for me to get used to the different voices. They're better after getting used to them over the 44 minutes or so, but still just aren't ringing true to me, especially Launchpad and Huey, Louie and Dewey.
I watched the pilot and absolutely adored it! I thought they did a pretty good job reinventing the characters, especially giving some layers to Scrooge's character - sure he still wants the treasure, but he also yearns for adventure! I agree that Launchpad's voice is going to take some time to get use to. However, he's not my favorite character, so I'm a bit lenient about that! Also, I loved the animation style. It's not as stripped down as Disney XD shows can be and retains a lot of the detail of the old comics.

The show reminded me of how sad I was last year when Alan Young died. Through reruns of Mister Ed and his voice work as Scrooge and on the Christian radio program Adventures in Odyssey, he was a fixture of my childhood.

Nostalgia note: Scrooge McDuck and Donald Duck are my favorite Disney characters. For years one of my prized possessions was a Donald Duck t-shirt which got destroyed in a bungled bit of parenting that resulted in a new Donald Duck t-shirt! I also remember that the barber we went to had a large omnibus of Donald cartoons that I got lost in every time I got my hair cut. As a kid, I was one to stifle and repress emotions so to see Donald indulge in angry shouting was cathartic!
mrcellophane is offline  
Old 08-16-17, 10:41 PM
  #124  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
mrcellophane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 1,529
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Originally Posted by shadokitty View Post
Animation may help me out of my funk after losing my uncle. Later today, I'm going to try watching something for the Challenge. I do have a lot to choose from. I'm sure I'll find something that will help.
I'm so sorry about your lose. I'm glad that some media has the power to both escape and deal with our emotions and trying times. I hope you found some solace.
mrcellophane is offline  
Old 08-16-17, 10:45 PM
  #125  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
LJG765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,422
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Originally Posted by mrcellophane View Post
I watched the pilot and absolutely adored it! I thought they did a pretty good job reinventing the characters, especially giving some layers to Scrooge's character - sure he still wants the treasure, but he also yearns for adventure! I agree that Launchpad's voice is going to take some time to get use to. However, he's not my favorite character, so I'm a bit lenient about that! Also, I loved the animation style. It's not as stripped down as Disney XD shows can be and retains a lot of the detail of the old comics.
It did grow on me more by the end. You're right, Scrooge is yearning for a bit of adventure and not just gold and that does add a lot to the story line. I wasn't sure if I'd like the animation style but it's watchable. I still appreciate the original style with the super bright colors more though. I did think Donald had some more layers in this new one as well, an uncle who just wants to protect his nephews.
LJG765 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.