Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-17, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

I finally got around to watching Wolf Children and tearing up a lot. It's such a bittersweet story and made me want to revisit Summer Wars soon.

Originally Posted by Trevor
About to watch something that I'm pretty sure no one else here will ever watch, a DVD from a comic book sketchbook about character design and such. Hadn't really planned on watching it yet, but stumbled upon it and figured might as well do it this month.
http://creaturebox.com/thoughts-scribbles-madness/
Looks awesome! I've been trying to up my sketchbook game recently and have been obsessively watching sketchbook videos on YouTube. There are some incredibly talented and interesting people sharing their stuff.
Old 08-22-17, 09:17 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Looks awesome! I've been trying to up my sketchbook game recently and have been obsessively watching sketchbook videos on YouTube. There are some incredibly talented and interesting people sharing their stuff.
This DVD was very disappointing. It was just six sketches finished under time lapse photography. The art was nice, but no commentary or anything extra, just drawing with some constantly looping mediocre music. I'll have to check out YouTube, hoping that most artists that post them there have some discussion at least.
Old 08-22-17, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

This DVD was very disappointing. It was just six sketches finished under time lapse photography. The art was nice, but no commentary or anything extra, just drawing with some constantly looping mediocre music. I'll have to check out YouTube, hoping that most artists that post them there have some discussion at least.
That is super disappointing! Most of the artists on YouTube provide commentary of some sort. Most do tutorials or have a discussion of some sort as they draw. Warning, there is a push for branding so some have... personalities that I find a bit annoying. Thankfully, there's a lot from which to choose.
Old 08-22-17, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

About to watch something that I'm pretty sure no one else here will ever watch, a DVD from a comic book sketchbook about character design and such. Hadn't really planned on watching it yet, but stumbled upon it and figured might as well do it this month.
http://creaturebox.com/thoughts-scribbles-madness/
That did look interesting, too bad it was a bust!

I finally got around to watching Wolf Children and tearing up a lot. It's such a bittersweet story and made me want to revisit Summer Wars soon.
I agree about Wolf Children - really enjoyed it and it's on my too buy at some point list along with Summer Wars.

A long time ago, I stumbled across Walt Disney Treasures: The Complete Pluto at a thrift store for less than 10 bucks, so I picked it up. I never watched it as Pluto isn't my favorite character, but I thought now would be a great time to give it a go. Watching the shorts chronologically, and it's interesting at how Pluto went from a pretty crude blood hound after Mickey who escaped from jail, to a father (of quints!), to Minnie's dog and finally to Mickey's best pal. Right now, in the ones I'm watching, Pluto doesn't seem to be owned by anyone, just used as a character on his own from time to time.
Old 08-23-17, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I opened up another of my birthday presents tonight, the complete series of Jayce And The Wheeled Warriors. I just finished the first episode and the show held up well. It really brought me back to my childhood of watching cartoons in the 80s.
Old 08-23-17, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Yeah, I watched my Blu-ray of WOLF CHILDREN on Monday, the first time I've seen the film since a 35mm theatrical screening in 2013 in NYC after which I got to interview the director, Mamoru Hosoda.

I also watched my Blu-ray of MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO for this challenge, the first time I've seen the film in its Japanese-language edition since a theatrical screening at the Museum of Modern Art in 1999, which was introduced by Hayao Miyazaki himself, who was in town for the New York Film Festival premiere of PRINCESS MONONOKE. (I got to interview him, too.)

Two great animated movies in two great editions. I don't have a lot of animation on Blu-ray. Maybe it's time to expand my collection.
Old 08-23-17, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by orlmac
I broke the 50 hour mark today. I'd say I've had a tremendous challenge so far, thanks again this year to DC Superhero movies. Unfortunately, I have now seen almost all of the DC and Marvel animation movies so I will have to find something new next year. Of course, my obsession is finishing the checklists so that I see a wide variety and it hasn't disappointed. I still have a few checkoffs to do but I can take it slower from here on out.
Some of the digital services have a 30-movie DC animated collection for around $100. Although I own probably a dozen in physical or digital form and have rented a dozen more, it's an intriguing idea to just get a whole bunch at once for a cheap per-movie price. Of course any such collection will get outdated quickly.

Last edited by davidh777; 08-24-17 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-24-17, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm still going to be watching a variety of programming, but I've decided to always start my sessions with a few episodes of a few different shows that I would like to make a lot of progress in. Tonight I'm watching Voltron, the original series, as I have every lion force episode on Amazon Instant Video. If I'm lucky, I'll get to Vehicle Voltron before the month is out. I have all of those episodes on DVD.
Old 08-24-17, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Finished The Complete Pluto Vol. 1 set yesterday. I did enjoy watching some classic Disney shorts, but never realized how often they used Pluto as the bad guy. A lot of them felt like Disney's response to Tom and Jerry shorts with Pluto subbing in for Tom. I also was impressed with how Disney handled 2 shorts that were not politically correct anymore. Rather than ignore them and pretend they didn't exist, they put them in a separate section with a short introduction from Leonard Maltin explaining that leaving them out would be trying to erase history and that it was a good opportunity for parents to talk to their children about how things have changed.

Does make me wonder why they didn't do something similar for Song of the South, though.
Old 08-24-17, 10:23 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I broke the 100 entry mark tonight. It looks like it will take 115 entries for me to finish the checklist so I am starting to get close to finishing this challenge now.
Old 08-24-17, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I broke the 100 entry mark tonight. It looks like it will take 115 entries for me to finish the checklist so I am starting to get close to finishing this challenge now.
Nice! Hope you keep on going after finishing the list...are you close to breaking a personal record? I've added quite a few the last couple days with all the shorts I was watching but doubt I'll break the 100 mark.
Old 08-24-17, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't get much watching in earlier today, due to receiving a new video game system. I started back in tonight, and decided to work on The Transformers tonight. I started with one of my favorite episodes, 'The Core'. It's one of my favorites, due to featuring the Constructions. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll finish the original series this month, and move onto Headmasters. I've got all three Japanese series on DVD.
Old 08-25-17, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by LJG765
Nice! Hope you keep on going after finishing the list...are you close to breaking a personal record? I've added quite a few the last couple days with all the shorts I was watching but doubt I'll break the 100 mark.
Huh. It seems like none of my links in my signature work (at least for the Animation Challenge) so I can't tell about records. I know I'm happy when I break 50 hours and complete the checklist, which I usually do. After the Sci-Fi Challenge it seems like a lot. I really need the September break so I can get ready to tackle the Horror Challenge!
Old 08-25-17, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've slowed down some after I hit 100. I'm focusing more on shows I want to watch that aren't challenge related. I will be doing the Criterion Challenge, but not as much as the last couple months.
Old 08-26-17, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just took a look at some of the checklist items I still have to work on and realized that the Saturn Award Winners list at icheckmovies.com wasn't updated again. I did update the first post with it, but 2016's winner was Finding Dory.

Huh. It seems like none of my links in my signature work (at least for the Animation Challenge) so I can't tell about records. I know I'm happy when I break 50 hours and complete the checklist, which I usually do. After the Sci-Fi Challenge it seems like a lot. I really need the September break so I can get ready to tackle the Horror Challenge!
Sorry your links broke! Hope it won't be too much of an issue to fix.

These two challenges are the ones I focus the most on and I do tend to take the first week of the Criterion off or really cut back. Gives me some time to recharge. I don't really do the Horror challenge. I do my own, but it's no where as intense as the official one! I really don't get back into a full challenge until the Comedy and Holiday challenges in Nov/Dec.

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I've slowed down some after I hit 100. I'm focusing more on shows I want to watch that aren't challenge related. I will be doing the Criterion Challenge, but not as much as the last couple months.
What's nice about the Criterion Challenge is that you don't need to watch a ton of movies. It's designed so that you can focus on just one film and glut yourself on the bonus features and really appreciate each film and disc.
Old 08-26-17, 09:31 AM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I loved the Lego Movie and the Lego Batman Movie, so in preparation for The Lego Ninjago Movie, I've been watching the TV show on Netflix and it's pretty good. Starting season 3 this weekend.
Old 08-26-17, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Indy24LA
I loved the Lego Movie and the Lego Batman Movie, so in preparation for The Lego Ninjago Movie, I've been watching the TV show on Netflix and it's pretty good. Starting season 3 this weekend.
I watched the Lego Batman Movie earlier this challenge and did enjoy it. I thought that they handled Batman like he really should be, emotionally, at least. Calling him out on his angst and for refusing help.
Old 08-26-17, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
I watched the Lego Batman Movie earlier this challenge and did enjoy it. I thought that they handled Batman like he really should be, emotionally, at least. Calling him out on his angst and for refusing help.
I just finished a first time viewing of The Lego Batman Movie and really enjoyed it. It's much better than The Lego Movie. I loved the narration by Batman over the opening sequence.

Batman: Black... All important movies start with a black screen.

And later, following a battle with the Joker...

Computer: What is the password?
Batman: Iron Man sucks!

They made great use of other WB properties too! Harry Potter and TLOTR characters in a Batman movie!?!? Very well done! I also enjoyed the bonus shorts, especially "Dark Hoser."

My copy of Hey There, It's Yogi Bear came in yesterday and my granddaughter and I watched it after I got home from work. We both liked it very much and got several laughs. I shouldn't have avoided it all these decades!
Old 08-26-17, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I just finished a first time viewing of The Lego Batman Movie and really enjoyed it. It's much better than The Lego Movie. I loved the narration by Batman over the opening sequence.

Batman: Black... All important movies start with a black screen.

And later, following a battle with the Joker...

Computer: What is the password?
Batman: Iron Man sucks!

They made great use of other WB properties too! Harry Potter and TLOTR characters in a Batman movie!?!? Very well done! I also enjoyed the bonus shorts, especially "Dark Hoser."
I enjoyed the opening scenes too. I appreciate how they are not afraid to mix characters from different franchises in it as well! I did think they could have really used some of those bad guys at the end a lot better though! So many of them they added to just have them there.
Old 08-26-17, 08:10 PM

I have decided to watch Scooby Doo Meets Batman (1972) for my last movie but it seems that I may have more DC stuff to watch next year than I thought. I seriously considered adding the Lego stuff this year but it sounds like The Lego Batman Movie will be the movie I will be looking forward to the most for next year. It should be a great way to start it off since it also fits the Science Fiction/Fantasy Challenge!
Old 08-26-17, 10:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I've only watched Sing, Captain Harlock Space Pirate and Kubo and the Two Strings - all 3D blurays.
Old 08-26-17, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giles
I've only watched Sing, Captain Harlock Space Pirate and Kubo and the Two Strings - all 3D blurays.
How is Sing? It's piqued my interest since I first heard of it, and I see Netflix has it.
Old 08-27-17, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How is Sing? It's piqued my interest since I first heard of it, and I see Netflix has it.
I thought it was cute, not great, but watchable. If you like music/musicals, you'll at least enjoy it, I think.
Old 08-28-17, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I took a few days where I took it easy on the Challenge, but being the last few days, I hope to finish strong. I just finished an episode of Teen Titans, on Cartoon Network. I always enjoyed that show, but haven't seen it in years.
Old 08-28-17, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I took a few days where I took it easy on the Challenge, but being the last few days, I hope to finish strong. I just finished an episode of Teen Titans, on Cartoon Network. I always enjoyed that show, but haven't seen it in years.
Good luck! I have to admit to not being able to watch Teen Titans. It just doesn't draw me in.

Watched another disc of Animaniacs. I definitely prefer Tiny Toon Adventures to it. I just don't find it that funny, I guess. I do like some of the segments, like the ones with Rita and the dog (can't think of his name!). My favorite is the one where they do a parody of Les Miserables. I'm hoping that one is in this set, but not sure.

I do hope to finish the set I have, 3 more discs to go!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.