Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-17, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: The 8th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

If you haven't seen "The American Experience: Walt Disney" on PBS, be advised that Part 1 is running tonight, at least in New York, at 8PM (EST). It's certainly eligible for this challenge and it's quite good. Part 1 is focused more on his animated features while Part 2 focuses more on Disneyland.

Old 08-29-17, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
If you haven't seen "The American Experience: Walt Disney" on PBS, be advised that Part 1 is running tonight, at least in New York, at 8PM (EST). It's certainly eligible for this challenge and it's quite good. Part 1 is focused more on his animated features while Part 2 focuses more on Disneyland.

Unfortunately, it isn't running in my area. Tonight we have American Experience, but it is about Tesla.
Old 08-29-17, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I'm pretty sure I saw this when it first aired (wasn't able to check it out tonight). If it is the one I'm thinking of, it was a really nice watch and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Watching some more Animaniacs tonight. Still on the fence with it. Just not my favorite cartoon series. But, 2 more discs to go, so almost done with the set.

The challenge is winding down, so please make sure to finalize your lists! Don't forget if you need a reminder on films that qualify for both this challenge and the Criterion one are listed in the first post of the thread!
Old 08-30-17, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
I thought it was cute, not great, but watchable. If you like music/musicals, you'll at least enjoy it, I think.
That was my feeling as well.
Old 08-30-17, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was in the middle of working on the Challenge when my power went out. At least I wasn't in the middle of an episode though. I just finished the episode of Beast King GoLion that not only marked Sadak's departure, but the debut of Prince Sincline.
Old 08-30-17, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thrift stores can be gold mines sometimes. I was at my local Salvation Army, just browsing on a lark, and I found a near complete set of Beast King GoLion, only missing the middle disc, and a complete set of Volume 2. Since they are OOP, I grabbed them. Couldn't pass them up for $1 each. I'm not worried about the missing disc, or not having Volume 3, as I can wait the missing episodes on Crunchyroll.
Old 08-30-17, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since I'm not going full out nothing but Challenge mode next month, I'm going to keep working on my sci fi and animated shows I didn't get to the last couple months. There are a lot of shows I'd like to make more progress in. Such as Transformers, Voltron, and under sci fi, Ancient Aliens, Buck Rogers, Power Rangers, and Xena.
Old 08-30-17, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I was in the middle of working on the Challenge when my power went out. At least I wasn't in the middle of an episode though. I just finished the episode of Beast King GoLion that not only marked Sadak's departure, but the debut of Prince Sincline.
Hope it came back quickly! I hope that if anyone is in the path of Harvey, you're staying safe and dry!

Thrift stores can be gold mines sometimes. I was at my local Salvation Army, just browsing on a lark, and I found a near complete set of Beast King GoLion, only missing the middle disc, and a complete set of Volume 2. Since they are OOP, I grabbed them. Couldn't pass them up for $1 each. I'm not worried about the missing disc, or not having Volume 3, as I can wait the missing episodes on Crunchyroll.
They can be. I've gotten a few really good deals either at a thrift store or garage sale in DVDs. You just have to be willing to dig sometimes!

Since I'm not going full out nothing but Challenge mode next month, I'm going to keep working on my sci fi and animated shows I didn't get to the last couple months. There are a lot of shows I'd like to make more progress in. Such as Transformers, Voltron, and under sci fi, Ancient Aliens, Buck Rogers, Power Rangers, and Xena.
Sounds like a good plan! There are a lot of times I carry on with a challenge afterwards just because I didn't get to ones I wanted to watch. The MYOC in May is a good one too, to work on themes you wish you had had more time for in an earlier challenge.
Old 08-31-17, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Last day of the challenge! Are a lot of you doing crossover films or finishing up with just animation?
Old 08-31-17, 03:44 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Last day of the challenge! Are a lot of you doing crossover films or finishing up with just animation?
I already completed my personal checklist, which includes at least one Criterion a month, but I'll likely watch at least one crossover film tonight after work.

Here's the list again for everyone:

Crossover: Since there are so few, I decided to post those movies that qualify for double credit for both challenges. They are: Akira, Fantastic Planet, Fantastic Mr. Fox, and Watership Down, Jason And The Argonauts, King Kong, Robocop. Also, there is animation in the By Brakhage and Science is Fiction box
Old 08-31-17, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm still working on this Challenge. I have yet to decide whether I want to start my Criterion Challenge tonight or not. This morning, I finished my Volume 1 set of Beast King GoLion, and I'm on Volume 2 right now. Prince Sincline has got to be the evilest character I have ever seen.
Old 08-31-17, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I rarely am able to work titles in for double credit, but I do own Fantastic Planet, Akira, King Kong, Robocop, and Jason and the Argonauts, and I've been meaning to watch the last one ever since July.
Old 08-31-17, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
I rarely am able to work titles in for double credit, but I do own Fantastic Planet, Akira, King Kong, Robocop, and Jason and the Argonauts, and I've been meaning to watch the last one ever since July.
Me too. I couldn't find my disc, but it was on YouTube with funky foreign subtitles. Hey, that probably gives it extra artsy Criterion credit!
Old 08-31-17, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Trevor
Me too. I couldn't find my disc, but it was on YouTube with funky foreign subtitles. Hey, that probably gives it extra artsy Criterion credit!
I recently D2D'd it so I'll never have to dig again!
Old 08-31-17, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

I'd like to try and do a crossover title, but I have only one more movie to watch (Puss and Boots) to finish watching all Oscar nominated animated films and shorts back to 2012! I've been working hard on it this month and to fall one short would be disappointing. However, I am on the road, so my viewing time is limited. I downloaded P&B to my computer, so I have access to it... just need to find the time. I'll have to settle without a crossover this year...
Old 08-31-17, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by davidh777
A few years ago, I actually managed to find a used copy of the actual Criterion Collection edition of RoboCop.
Old 08-31-17, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I watched one crossover, but now I'm just trying to fit in a couple more watches for my checklist. I won't finish, but I'll get a couple more checks marked off before the end.

I did manage to finish the Animaniacs Vol. 2 box set. Pretty happy to finish it. I've had it forever and it's nice to mark it of the "to watch" list.

Was checking out the list thread. There's a couple people who do not even have one item listed. Don't forget, if you want to be considered for the prize drawing, you need to have at least one numbered item on your list!

Have fun finishing, everyone!
Old 09-01-17, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Well, I completed one goal: I finished watching all of "Sailor Stars" last night (34 eps.). I started the series with the first 8 eps. during the Sci-Fi Challenge, but then decided to wait till August to finish. Which is what I did. It's a fun, loopy series covering a wide array of Japanese pop culture topics, but then, in its final section (the last 6 eps.), it got really dark, apocalyptic, abstract and tragic, which really lost me. To make matters worse, the genius who did the translating made the lead villain's subtitles black which means that they dip below the frame and are against a black background making them disappear. And since this villain, Galaxia, explains a lot of what goes on during these episodes, as she makes short work of Sailor Moon's allies, I was left with less than half the info I needed to understand it all. Very frustrating.

I'm going to forego the Criterion Challenge and continue watching other series I started this month, last month (Sci-Fi), and in June (Historical).
Old 09-01-17, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I finished with a nice, even number, at 145. All in all, I would consider it a successful Challenge with only one dud. I don't feel bad about not making as much progress as I would have liked, as after a little break, I plan to keep watching things.

Thanks for a great Challenge, LJG.
Old 09-01-17, 08:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I was on vacation this last week, so I finished weakly, but I ended up with 116 episodes which was my second highest total since I have been doing this challenge. I'm happy with that. Focusing on animation during the sci-fi challenge and then this month has gotten me back in a groove with watching both my physical to watch pile and streaming backlog of animated stuff, so this has been good. Thanks for running the challenges LJG!
Old 09-02-17, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I started my continuation of last month today, by starting to finish up Dogfights, since I was already on the final season of that series.
Old 09-02-17, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I didn't get in as much as I wanted but enjoyed what little I did watch, especially Hey There, It's Yogi Bear!. The surprise find this year.
Old 09-02-17, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Glad to hear that everyone has had a good challenge. Thanks to everyone for participating and the good discussions!

I'll be doing the prize drawing shortly...
Old 09-02-17, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I watched Jason and the Argonauts yesterday, too late for double credit.

But thanks for running the challenge, LJG! I got in some good viewings and had a good time.
Old 09-02-17, 08:37 PM

Thanks for another fun July and August LJG! I ended up watching a nice variety of randomness, but nothing too deep. Enjoyed following the conversations here, as always.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.