Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 7th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 7th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-16, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: The 7th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Bumped into my Planet of the Apes: The Complete Animated Series set last night, which I have yet to watch! I'm excited now, although the first episode was just a big long montage of walking through desert with a small amount of action at the end. I hope the whole series doesn't drag out each episode like the pilot.
Old 08-06-16, 09:32 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pacaway
Bumped into my Planet of the Apes: The Complete Animated Series set last night, which I have yet to watch! I'm excited now, although the first episode was just a big long montage of walking through desert with a small amount of action at the end. I hope the whole series doesn't drag out each episode like the pilot.
My recollection of the series from the original broadcast is a lot of walking and quite of bit of talking without lips moving. My brother and I used to watch it, probably because of our love of the movies in the series, and would talk about how bad the animation was and how repetitive the stories were after watching the cartoon.
Old 08-06-16, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Teen Titans Go! is very well done, although the newer ones seem to be lacking something. Many of the best are still excellent on the n-th viewing, fortunately.
Aladdin is about as good as one might hope - never saw it when it was on (probably too busy with Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, MiB, The Mask, Jumanji, Ghostbusters and other unlikely cartoon spinoffs), and some of the storylines rival various (minor) 'proper' Disney films.
The Amazing World of Gumball is absolutely brilliant. Witty, irreverant, clever, crazily 'true' in many ways... just brilliant TV. One episode takes on Meaning of Life (film & question), one decides to just showcase the bizarre/pathetic/sad/realistic dreams of minor characters, and "The Advice" really satirically highlights the difficulty and truthfulness of blindly following various epithetical pieces of advice... and also has multiple hidden morals and, smartly, pieces of important advice. There's one where they realise they're in a show, there's-
Old 08-06-16, 03:52 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

I finished the first season of Avatar: The Last Airbender. I wasn't crazy about it at first. It was too cartoony. But as the story grew, it got more serious and exciting. I'm looking forward to watching season 2 & 3.

All 3 seasons and the Legend Of Korra sequel are on Amazon Prime.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GFIUBK/
Old 08-06-16, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I finished the first season of Avatar: The Last Airbender. I wasn't crazy about it at first. It was too cartoony. But as the story grew, it got more serious and exciting. I'm looking forward to watching season 2 & 3.

There are so many great episodes in Books 2 & 3. Let me say one thing: Toph.

Netflix added the latest animated adaption of 'The Little Prince', The Little Prince (2015), yesterday. It's reasonably faithful and works more than it doesn't. Well worth watching.
Old 08-06-16, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Bumped into my Planet of the Apes: The Complete Animated Series set last night, which I have yet to watch!
Thanks, this reminds me that I got Star Trek:  The Animated Series since the last challenge.
Old 08-06-16, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by wishbone
Thanks, this reminds me that I got Star Trek:  The Animated Series since the last challenge.
I think I enjoyed ST:TAS more than I did TOS season 3. Much better story lines!

Watching Zootopia. 2nd watch for me as I did see it in the theaters. I am liking it just as much this time around. There are a lot of cleaver jokes for all ages if you keep your ears open. I know that's not new, but I like that Disney/Pixar makes sure to include the whole family not just make films for kids only.
Old 08-06-16, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

As a birthday gift to myself, I popped in my new Blu-ray of the 1991 Studio Ghibli masterpiece, ONLY YESTERDAY, one of the finest animated movies I've ever seen, a drama about a Tokyo career girl in 1983 who flashes back frequently to her fifth grade memories while vacationing on a safflower farm in the remote countryside. It has some of the most beautiful artwork I've ever seen in an anime movie and the Blu-ray is just gorgeous and makes me want to start upgrading other Ghibli titles--an expensive proposition, but ONLY YESTERDAY is certainly worth the price.

ONLY YESTERDAY was directed by Isao Takahata, who also directed GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, HORUS PRINCE OF THE SUN, POM POKO and THE TALE OF PRINCESS KAGUYA.
Old 08-06-16, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
As a birthday gift to myself, I popped in my new Blu-ray of the 1991 Studio Ghibli masterpiece, ONLY YESTERDAY, one of the finest animated movies I've ever seen, a drama about a Tokyo career girl in 1983 who flashes back frequently to her fifth grade memories while vacationing on a safflower farm in the remote countryside. It has some of the most beautiful artwork I've ever seen in an anime movie and the Blu-ray is just gorgeous and makes me want to start upgrading other Ghibli titles--an expensive proposition, but ONLY YESTERDAY is certainly worth the price.

ONLY YESTERDAY was directed by Isao Takahata, who also directed GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, HORUS PRINCE OF THE SUN, POM POKO and THE TALE OF PRINCESS KAGUYA.
Happy Birthday Ash.

I just finished an episode of Doc McStuffins, on Disney Junior. It actually was a pretty good show. One nice thing about this Challenge, is it allows me to watch little kids cartoons, and I don't feel embarrassed.
Old 08-06-16, 08:20 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I still need to watch the POTA animated series someday, and re-watch ST:TAS, but these posts made me think of Godzilla animation so here I am watching those series of questionable quality.
Old 08-06-16, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As a birthday gift to myself, I popped in my new Blu-ray of the 1991 Studio Ghibli masterpiece, ONLY YESTERDAY, one of the finest animated movies I've ever seen, a drama about a Tokyo career girl in 1983 who flashes back frequently to her fifth grade memories while vacationing on a safflower farm in the remote countryside.

Happy birthday! Hope you had a good one. This is one of the few Studio Ghibli films I have not seen. I should see if I can order it from the library for this month...

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Happy Birthday Ash.

I just finished an episode of Doc McStuffins, on Disney Junior. It actually was a pretty good show. One nice thing about this Challenge, is it allows me to watch little kids cartoons, and I don't feel embarrassed.
It is a good excuse to watch kid's cartoons! I plan on starting Back to the Future Animated series pretty soon. I don't watch a lot of the stuff for the younger kids, but there a few out there that are worth watching.

I think that my watching is going to be way down this year, though! Only the first day into the Olympics and I already have quite a bit taped and been watching a lot too. Going to try to at least one entry for my list a day, but we'll see how that goes...
Old 08-06-16, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LJG765
Happy birthday! Hope you had a good one. This is one of the few Studio Ghibli films I have not seen. I should see if I can order it from the library for this month...

It is a good excuse to watch kid's cartoons! I plan on starting Back to the Future Animated series pretty soon. I don't watch a lot of the stuff for the younger kids, but there a few out there that are worth watching.

I think that my watching is going to be way down this year, though! Only the first day into the Olympics and I already have quite a bit taped and been watching a lot too. Going to try to at least one entry for my list a day, but we'll see how that goes...
I'm balancing the Olympics with my challenge viewing. Saw some Judo earlier. Was a medal match too.
Old 08-06-16, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
It is a good excuse to watch kid's cartoons! ...I don't watch a lot of the stuff for the younger kids, but there a few out there that are worth watching...
Phineas & Ferb, The Amazing World of Gumball and Teen Titans Go! are all excellent.
Old 08-07-16, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave

Avatar definitely gets more intense in Books 2 & 3 and coyoteblue is right...be on the lookout for Toph.
Old 08-07-16, 04:07 PM

Taking a Godzilla break for my first viewing of Rick and Morty. Good grief, what a sick and twisted show! I love it. But only when the wife and kid aren't in the room.
Old 08-07-16, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
Phineas & Ferb, The Amazing World of Gumball and Teen Titans Go! are all excellent.
Phineas and Ferb is superb. I miss that show from Netflix US.
Old 08-07-16, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trevor
Taking a Godzilla break for my first viewing of Rick and Morty. Good grief, what a sick and twisted show! I love it. But only when the wife and kid aren't in the room.
You watching the Hanna Barbera version, or the one based on the 98 movie?

I finished 'The Revenge Of Cobra' earlier today. Revisiting GI Joe really brings back childhood memories. Haven't decided what my next watch will be yet though.
Old 08-07-16, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I just finished a first time viewing of Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame. The Lon Chaney and Charles Laughton versions are favorites and it was with some amount of trepidation that I went into the Disney version. Part of it was justified. While the animation is quite good and they did a fairly good job with the story there was just too much music for my tastes. It was generally *very good* music but too "operatic" for me (one reason I changed from being a voice major was they were training me to sing opera and I just don't care much for the musical form). But I can live with it as it's *not* the general Disney "pop song" music - actually somewhat of a relief. The thing that I disliked the most was turning some gargoyle's into anthropomorphic characters in true Disney "comic relief" form. Blech! They totally took me out of the story every time they made a appearance.

I only own this because gohastings sent me the *wrong* version of The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I'd ordered one of the live action versions I'd never seen (don't recall just which) and in true gohastings form they sent the wrong title (in spite of not matching UPC). Since the Disney one was the more expensive one and was the BR/DVD combo pack which contains both the first and second films I kept it. Partly due to it having both films, is a combo pack, and that my grandkids might like one of the films. Having seen the first I doubt I'll show it to them unless they ask. I don't think any would care for it (I know my grandson wouldn't - he dislikes most Disney films just because of the music). It's a bit dark for the youngest and a different type of "musical" than the middle one likes.

I'll be starting II in a few minutes and am somewhat dreading the viewing. I know... why watch it? Because I own it and watch *everything* I own at least once.
Old 08-07-16, 06:37 PM

You watching the Hanna Barbera version, or the one based on the 98 movie?
The 98 movie one. I only bought it because I'm a Godzilla completest, and am only watching it because I have the same rule as Bob below, but it's actually much better than I expected. So far, it's more a monster hunter show than a Godzilla show. Godzilla is just the deus ex machina that shows up at the end of every episode.
Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I'll be starting II in a few minutes and am somewhat dreading the viewing. I know... why watch it? Because I own it and watch *everything* I own at least once.
Same silly rule here, although I'll have to live to 250 to satisfy it.
Old 08-07-16, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

^Yeah... I have so much unopened stuff I *really* need to just stop purchasing new titles and focus on what I already have. I once did a rough calculation on just the unopened TVonDVD stuff and it came to ~5 years (watching at least 3 hours per day)! I've probably added a couple of years to that total since then.

Well... The Hunchback of Notre Dame II was as bad as I was expecting. The animation is several steps down from the first film. Somewhat on a par with generic Saturday morning cartoons (Do they still do those? There were only a few the last time I checked.) At least the main characters *looked* the same even if that drawing was rather simplified. Many of the same voices returned (which was good for continuity - especially with Quasimodo). The music on this one is what I expected on the first. Mostly Disney pop type junk. The anthropomorphic gargoyles were back and worst than before. The sad part is I think my granddaughters would like this one - it's not as dark as the first and looks like many of the Disney Channel cartoons they watch. I hope they don't find it as I'd rather not have to watch it again.
Old 08-07-16, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
^Yeah... I have so much unopened stuff I *really* need to just stop purchasing new titles and focus on what I already have. I once did a rough calculation on just the unopened TVonDVD stuff and it came to ~5 years (watching at least 3 hours per day)! I've probably added a couple of years to that total since then.

Well... The Hunchback of Notre Dame II was as bad as I was expecting. The animation is several steps down from the first film. Somewhat on a par with generic Saturday morning cartoons (Do they still do those? There were only a few the last time I checked.) At least the main characters *looked* the same even if that drawing was rather simplified. Many of the same voices returned (which was good for continuity - especially with Quasimodo). The music on this one is what I expected on the first. Mostly Disney pop type junk. The anthropomorphic gargoyles were back and worst than before. The sad part is I think my granddaughters would like this one - it's not as dark as the first and looks like many of the Disney Channel cartoons they watch. I hope they don't find it as I'd rather not have to watch it again.
I have so much unopened stuff as well. I really have cut back the last couple years, but if I stopped today, I'd be good for years. I've never been brave enough to figure out how much I have unwatched...

Hunchback of Notre Dame is one of my least favorite Disney movies. Part of it is that it is so dark (though Black Cauldron is probably a bit worse) but scenes like
Spoiler:
Esmeralda dancing in the flames
. I only own the first one just because my collecting gene would scream at me for having every other Disney animated film and not this one. If I ever see II dirt cheap, I'd buy it, but not for full price. All those DTV sequels are all fairly awful, though I haven't seen that particular one.

I just finished watching Song of the Sea. I was looking forward to this one as I LOVED The Book of Kells and it's done by the same people. However, I just could not get into this one. Part of it was the whiny older brother, but it just didn't grab me like Kells did.
Old 08-07-16, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since CW stopped airing Saturday morning cartoons, it is official, there really are no more Saturday morning cartoons.
Old 08-08-16, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Since CW stopped airing Saturday morning cartoons, it is official, there really are no more Saturday morning cartoons.
Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon air plenty of cartoons on Saturday morning. I watch Pokémon the Series: XYZ on CN every Saturday morning at 7AM (EST).
Old 08-08-16, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon air plenty of cartoons on Saturday morning. I watch Pokémon the Series: XYZ on CN every Saturday morning at 7AM (EST).
But does that really count, since they air cartoons 24 7 anyways? I was referred to Network TV ending Saturday morning cartoons.

Gargoyles should be here tomorrow. Looking forward to revisiting the show.
Old 08-08-16, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ororama
My recollection of the series from the original broadcast is a lot of walking and quite of bit of talking without lips moving. My brother and I used to watch it, probably because of our love of the movies in the series, and would talk about how bad the animation was and how repetitive the stories were after watching the cartoon.
I'm not very confident now, about 4 episodes in. I think you and your brother were right.

I have that to watch too... I need more month

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.