Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2014 Horror Challenge

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2014 Horror Challenge

Old 08-08-14, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2014 Horror Challenge

Originally Posted by Chad View Post
The result of plugging last year's banner into Google's search by image:

Space Coyote! I was thinking about this artist just the other day. She also did some Futurama fan art that is pretty awesome. Also, I like the banner even though I've never really attempted to participate in that part of the challenge. I'm not very well-versed in horror, and last year I think I only knew three or four of the films referenced. Still, it's a lot of fun to look at!
Old 08-09-14, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

An idea for the poster contest - how about name as many as you can and you get 1 entry for each you get right. Name 1 poster on the banner get 1 entry, name 20 you get 20 entries. It gives an advantage to those that know more but gives just about everybody a chance.
Old 08-09-14, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I vote we finalize the subset as soon as possible to give people time to watch said titles on camelcamelcamel and otherwise hunt for deals on them (this is a bargain forum after all).
Old 08-09-14, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Here are some references for war themed horror movie, that might make an interesting topic night...
http://warmovieblog.com/archives/396...halloween.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...d_horror_films
http://letterboxd.com/holliehorror/l...horror-of-war/

...Or there's martial arts horror films, with... karate:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...s_horror_films
http://www.alibris.com/search/movies...r-Martial-Arts

Last edited by Undeadcow; 08-09-14 at 11:10 PM.
Old 08-10-14, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Undeadcow View Post
Those are both cool ideas. I don't understand how both of those links for martial arts-horror neglected The Legend Of The 7 Golden Vampires though!
Old 08-10-14, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by SethDLH View Post
I don't understand how both of those links for martial arts-horror neglected The Legend Of The 7 Golden Vampires though!
Those lists both have some obvious omissions, not sure how out of all the endless lists on the interweb martial arts themed horror is lacking.
Old 08-12-14, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been building a pile of new watches and old favorites that I am saving for this month's contest, but I'm mostly excited about discovering some of the forgotten gems that you guys will recommend or suggest for the subset list. I can't wait to see(and watch) what everybody comes up with!

It's getting hard coming up new themes we haven't all ready covered, but I always love the recurring themes like J-horror, Giallo, animated horror, alien horror, etc. Have we done Kaiju horror yet?
Old 08-12-14, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn

Originally Posted by SethDLH View Post
An idea for the poster contest - how about name as many as you can and you get 1 entry for each you get right. Name 1 poster on the banner get 1 entry, name 20 you get 20 entries. It gives an advantage to those that know more but gives just about everybody a chance.
Love it. It keeps it random, but gives the more ambitious a greater chance of winning. I'll do it.

Originally Posted by SterlingBen View Post
I vote we finalize the subset as soon as possible to give people time to watch said titles on camelcamelcamel and otherwise hunt for deals on them (this is a bargain forum after all).
The plan is to start immediately on theme nights since the two sync up and then get right to it. The checklist gets shuffled from first to last, which is clearly what I should have done in the past.

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
I've been building a pile of new watches and old favorites that I am saving for this month's contest, but I'm mostly excited about discovering some of the forgotten gems that you guys will recommend or suggest for the subset list. I can't wait to see(and watch) what everybody comes up with!

It's getting hard coming up new themes we haven't all ready covered, but I always love the recurring themes like J-horror, Giallo, animated horror, alien horror, etc. Have we done Kaiju horror yet?
There was "Creature Features" a few years back that included Kaiju horror.

And yeah, I'm amazed that there's still so many great themes being suggested. That said, between all the suggestions being offered here and a few I've already added myself, well, you just might be surprised at how many new ones we already have on tap for this year.
Old 08-12-14, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mrcellophane View Post
I like this idea ("tell me your favourite Vincent Price film"). I've been listening to the now defunct "Yeah, It's That Bad" podcast, and they have a question of the week that always seemed to drum up discussion. Using your example, if I'm asked about Vincent Price, I would be compelled to throw on a Price flick and also explain my answer in the discussion forum.
I like it, too - but I think the additional there is also important: "tell us you favourite, and (however briefly) WHY". So long as there's a tiny bit of thought involved, reasons varying from "the only one I've seen," "least worst" and lengthy essays would be equally interesting to read.
Old 08-12-14, 10:56 PM

Stealing a checklist item from the Drive-In Challenge, I like the "Critical bomb" idea as a theme day - for example watch films with a Rotten Tomato rating under 20% or similarly low IMDB, etc rating... not sure if that's been done on Horror Challenge yet or not.
Old 08-12-14, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ I like it, and/or maybe some type of budget cap: like scary movies made for less than $1 million.
Old 08-13-14, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^ I like it, and/or maybe some type of budget cap: like scary movies made for less than $1 million.
I think way too many horror movies fall into this catagory to make it a checklist item.
Old 08-13-14, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

(One poster guess, one entry) Love it. It keeps it random, but gives the more ambitious a greater chance of winning. I'll do it.
Could I suggest a minor revision? How about - depending on picture number - "one entry for five correct guesses"?
Old 08-13-14, 05:22 PM

...maybe some type of budget cap: like scary movies made for less than $1 million.
I like the idea of a low budget horror theme day; maybe at a lower budget point. Although many horror movies are low budget, as a focus for a theme day it could generate some banter on budget film making. Also, sometimes it's nice to have a more open theme day allowing greater flexibility.

Here are some reference links:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhugh...s-of-all-time/
http://johnhomalomadingdong.wordpres...horror-movies/
http://whatculture.com/film/10-trium...ilm-making.php
IMDB lists estimated budgets for films, although it doesn't seem possible to search horror genre by budget.
Old 08-13-14, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by ntnon View Post
Could I suggest a minor revision? How about - depending on picture number - "one entry for five correct guesses"?
Yeah, agreed. I'd even go 1 for 10.... 1 for 1 is way too much... I can watch 50 movies, and guess 50 pictures on the banner and get 100? Seems to much.
Old 08-13-14, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ntnon View Post
Originally Posted by Darkgod View Post
Yeah, agreed. I'd even go 1 for 10.... 1 for 1 is way too much... I can watch 50 movies, and guess 50 pictures on the banner and get 100? Seems to much.
I just ran a script on the banner that tells me there's 149 layers, and I'd say a good 130 or so images are eligible for the contest. So yeah, I'd prefer not to have to deal with potentially copying & pasting all your names into random.org hundreds if not thousands of times; I'll do just that.
Old 08-16-14, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can anyone recommend a good reliable free image hosting site for this year's banner (1450x850, 6.15 MB)? I've been using ImageShack for the past 3 years, and unfortunately they no longer allow direct linking at full size unless you upgrade to premium. The max is now a pitiful little 280x200 thumbnail.
Old 08-16-14, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I use photo bucket, I'm not sure what they max out, but they are reliable.
Old 08-16-14, 04:00 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Can anyone recommend a good reliable free image hosting site for this year's banner (1450x850, 6.15 MB)? I've been using ImageShack for the past 3 years, and unfortunately they no longer allow direct linking at full size unless you upgrade to premium. The max is now a pitiful little 280x200 thumbnail.
How much would it cost us to upgrade you to premium? I say we all chip in a buck or two and give Chad a little gift.
Old 08-16-14, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Crisis averted! Photobucket worked just fine. Ironically I was already using them for the subset posters and a few others, but they didn't allow max resolution for an image of that size in the past (to my knowledge). Apparently that policy has changed.

Thanks on both counts.
Old 08-16-14, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had to leave imageshack last year because of their continually changing business model. So far the best I have found is imgur

(I see a lot of photo bucket broken links)
Old 08-16-14, 11:23 PM

Hey, can we combine the "Film and at Least Two of its Sequels" and "Film and its Remake" checklist items? It could become something like "Watch Three Installments in a Franchise." This might allow for a bit more variety.

Some other checklist suggestions:
Biological / Virus [i.e. - http://www.popcrunch.com/greatest-bodyhorror-movies, http://horror.about.com/od/horrortop...tionmovies.htm
Horror Romance [including erotic horror, psychosexual thrillers - http://whatculture.com/film/10-best-horror-romances.php, http://www.chillertv.com/friday13/13...c-horror-films
Old 08-17-14, 02:25 PM

Hey, can we combine the "Film and at Least Two of its Sequels" and "Film and its Remake" checklist items? It could become something like "Watch Three Installments in a Franchise." This might allow for a bit more variety.
I like that one
Old 08-17-14, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SterlingBen View Post
I had to leave imageshack last year because of their continually changing business model. So far the best I have found is imgur

(I see a lot of photo bucket broken links)
Tried them, and they're great for smaller files, but the image quality of larger PNG files is reduced quite a bit.

Yeah, I'm cool with it as long as everyone else is. And there just for a split second I almost felt compelled to start one of the old polls. Guess I was feeling a bit nostalgic.
Old 08-18-14, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A few ideas, but maybe a bit too geeky

Theme Day: "Vestron Video Classics in HD" or releases put out on vhs by another specific big or small video company back in the 1980s that are available on Blu (or DVD).
Or maybe watch a movie on the same day it was first released (in October) years ago (for example "The Sender" October 22, 1982 ==> watch it October 22, 2014).
Also fun: double features based on old newspaper drive-in/movie ads.

Last edited by hbilly; 08-18-14 at 06:44 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.