Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2014 Horror Challenge

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-01-13, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Instead of waiting until the results thread goes up and forgetfulness sets in, I thought I'd try something new by posting it early while suggestions are still fresh in everyone's mind.

Link to this will be in my sig as usual.

Fire away.
Old 11-02-13, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts
Re: Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2014 Horror Challenge

There was a bit of discussion in the Nightmare Before Christmas thread about the daily subset film choices this year. I think it would be great to have some of that discussion migrate here. So, I'm going to post some of what I said over there in this thread (with some modifications and additions).

These daily films are optional. No one is required to watch them, but I will agree with others that I was underwhelmed with this year's picks on a whole. I blame a couple of things: (1) theme days getting increasingly narrow and restrictive (2) insistence on (nearly) all films being available for streaming. In the past, the streaming consideration really wasn't there. We expected people to make the necessary arrangements if they wanted to participate. I realize there's a great deal of "tough shit" in that for some participants, but it made the choices more varied and I think more personal. They were films that people felt a greater attachment to.

Streaming availability is a good consideration, but when you have themes like Splat Pack, Ice Terrors, Aquatic Horror, Killer Monkeys, Native American/Westerns, Harvest Horrors, Telephone Terrors and Musicals, then try to enforce the streaming requirement, you reach a point where there may not be a lot of films to choose from, which results in people choosing more based on what's available versus what they may really like or have a special attachment to.

I understand that it may force someone people from doing the daily subset because of financial considerations, but again, it's OPTIONAL. Plus, it's supposed to be a *challenge.* It's not supposed to be easy. I remember in past years having to rearrange my Netflix queue to be able to get all the DVDs that I would need to watch for the daily subset films. Now don't get me wrong. It was nice not to have to do all that, but it also made the accomplishment of watching all the subset films sort of an empty victory.

It's worth mentioning that the most discussed film last year (Blacula) was NOT available for streaming. One of the most discussed films this year was Lords of Salem, which also wasn't available for streaming. The most discussed film this year? Killer Tongue. But it should be noted that a few of the posts were in regard to the malware-filled original streaming site, which could be another reason why we should lessen our dependence on streaming. When we send people to more off the beaten path sites, you increase the threat of viruses and malware.

If anything, when you make someone work a little bit harder to get discs, forcing them to arrange their queue, wait for it to arrive in the mail, maybe even buy it, you will probably have people more willing to discuss it because they had to make some sort of sacrifice. If easy availability truly inspired more discussion, then all the most discussed movies should be the ones on YouTube, but that's not the case.

After all that discussion, it may sound hypocritical of me to say that I liked the easing up on the checklist. I think it got more people thinking about it and wasn't so restrictive, especially with the people categories. I remember not being especially happy with some of the actors last year. Having some choices made it less intimidating but still forced some people to watch things they may not have ordinarily watched.

All right, rant over. I still love the challenge and enjoyed participating in it for another year.
Old 11-02-13, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

A couple of minor personal thoughts: I have very little disposable income at the moment, my library has a limited selection (and only allows four films at a time) and I don't have Netflix. BUT I like the idea of the subset since it does "force me to watch something I would not ordinarily seek out." This year I got lucky because there were options available, but I would be very opposed to the idea of suggesting everyone should have to spend money* to watch the 31 chosen films...

*Particularly since it could easily - dare I say positively likely in some cases? - be money utterly wasted on films that will never be watched again, or even enjoyed the first time.
Old 11-02-13, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Netflix regularly offers free trials. Plus, again, you don't have to participate in the daily subset. You can do the theme days, which would force you to still watch other things and maybe not have to spend any money. If all the daily subset choices have to be accessible to everyone, then our choices get even more limiting. Maybe I'm wrong, but I felt like a lot of choices this year, more so than in the past, were made just because they were there, sort of like it was out of obligation. I'm not saying it was that way for all of them, but it does feel like something needs to change or be updated.
Old 11-02-13, 05:39 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I don't think we ended up with such a strong "streaming only" stance this year. Several choices like Killer Tongue, In Their Skin, Lords of Salem, etc weren't streaming. There seemed to be a point in earlier planning it was decided to be more open. My opinion is that's is critical subset options be reasonably attainable, it's not realistic to expect participants to shell out funds for a lot of the picks as random blind buys.

I think one of the biggest limitations to the subset films is that we can not select previous choices so now so many years out a lot of landmark acclaimed films have already served their duty. One role the subset and theme nights play is to encourage film diversity and discussion, like Ntnon said. I never would have thought to watch Killer Tongue but as much as I disliked it (after blind buying) I appreciate the exposure to... something new. I'm not a fan of changing that but it does force more random/questionable suggestions challenging us to explore new items.

Trevor suggested planning theme nights and subsets early to give people time to plan, that's an interesting idea. As long as people can reasonable access selections I think we just need to come up with more creative choices - even just streaming there are 100s of Netflix/YouTube/etc options.
Originally Posted by clckworang
...It's worth mentioning that the most discussed film last year (Blacula) was NOT available for streaming...
Blacula was annoying to track down, I ended up having to illicitly download it when the year before it was at Walmart for $5 it was then nowhere to be found. I remember when Embodiment of Evil, a then newly released blu-ray not carried at many brick/mortar stores, was on the listen and that was a dog to track down (I wasn't able to) so fortunately it was changed.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 11-02-13 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-02-13, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't understand why the only options are stream or blind buy. Why not a 1-month Netflix trial? Do they not include disc trials anymore? Or maybe going to a video rental store? Am I the only person who still lives in an area where you can rent movies? If everything is supposed to be free, then we probably shouldn't even include Netflix in our options.

Chad posted a streaming link for In Their Skin, so the only non-streaming titles were Lords of Salem and Killer Tongue (which had some of the biggest discussion participation). What were the rest of the etc., Undeadcow? I don't believe there were any others. Killer Tongue was chosen partly because it was streaming, but the site ended up having malware. I would say 29 out of 31 is a pretty strong stance.

Yes, there are a lot of movies streaming online, but there weren't as many that would fit into some of the narrow themes we had. And let's be honest, a great many of the films streaming on Netflix are crap.

I guess I'm the only one who feels this way.

Last edited by clckworang; 11-02-13 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-02-13, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

I only watched 4 subset films because I owned them. I'm in Canada so most streaming sites don't work up here, so maybe my opinion shouldn't count, but I do agree that streaming should not be a requirement. As was said, it is supposed to be a challenge. If less are able to accomplish it then that makes it that much sweeter for those that can. Of course it will likely limit the discussions somewhat. But I like the idea that those picking the titles are free to pick their favorites and not whatever is available. I agree that the key is that the themes and subset films be decided as soon as possible so we can arrange to beg, borrow or steal (not really steal, but that is the expression) these titles any way we can figure it out.
Old 11-02-13, 07:31 PM

...Or maybe going to a video rental store? Am I the only person who still lives in an area where you can rent movies?
My opinion is subset films that are available for wide rental work, I agree.

As an aside, I think we are ending the end of the era of reasonable brick and mortar physical media rentals. I recently moved to Houston and the only option anywhere near here is Blockbuster or Redbox, which are serviceable but very limited and Blockbuster is struggling. When I lived in Austin there were several mom and pop indie video rental stores with amazing variety including VHS only releases, OOP/cult DVD titles, etc. I've depended on Netflix rentals in the past but if not carefully balanced those have a turnaround time that limits effectiveness.
...the only non-streaming titles were Lords of Salem and Killer Tongue... What were the rest of the etc., Undeadcow?
You are right, I recall earlier in planning there was an emphasis on streaming only but I think it was decided to be more open.
...there are a lot of movies streaming online, but there weren't that as many that would fit into some of the narrow themes we had.
Maybe the themes have become narrower and that's part of the problem. It may have already been suggested to compile subset film suggestions and base themes retroactively around film picks.
Originally Posted by pacaway
...I'm in Canada so most streaming sites don't work up here, so maybe my opinion shouldn't count, but I do agree that streaming should not be a requirement.
International availability is a valid consideration, that sucks.
Old 11-02-13, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe we should just not get hung up on people having to watch all of them. Since it kind of goes that way, it can turn off people that might not have some of them and then just decide not to watch any of them.

Another way that would make it easier on a wallet would be to do a weekly pick instead of a daily one. Then possibly try to have the theme nights for that week also be applicable to the film. I think a weekly pick would be much more accessible to someone that only watches 30-50 films a challenge, since I think the people doing the daily subset are the ones getting higher numbers in the challenge.

I'm sure I'm in the minority but I thought I'd throw it out there.
Old 11-03-13, 12:12 AM

Received 215 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I think one of the biggest limitations to the subset films is that we can not select previous choices so now so many years out a lot of landmark acclaimed films have already served their duty.
I have to disagree with you on this one, Undeadcow. Yes, it's true that we've already used many, many classics...but I did a relatively quick match-up of classic films that we've already used against some of what I consider to be noteworthy (for one reason or another) films in the genre, and I came up with a pretty big list of titles that are at least somewhat "classic" that haven't been used yet.

I think that you'll be amazed at some of the films on the list:

Spoiler:
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein
Abominable Dr. Phibes, The
Alice, Sweet Alice
Alien
Amityville Horror, The (1979)
Asphyx, The
Audition
Basket Case
Bay of Blood (aka Twitch of the Death Nerve)
Beast with Five Fingers, The
Bedlam
Before I Hang
Beyond, The (Fulci)
Birds, The
Black Cat, The (1934)
Black Christmas (1974)
Blair Witch Project, The
Blood and Black Lace
Blood and Roses
Blood Feast
Blood for Dracula (Andy Warhol’s Dracula)
Blood on Satan’s Claw, The
Bride of Frankenstein, The
Brides of Dracula, The
Brood, The
Burning, The
Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, The (1920)
Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter
Carnival of Souls
Carrie (1976)
Cat People (1942)
Cat People (1982)
Children of the Corn (1984)
Children Shouldn’t Play with Dead Things
Curse of Frankenstein, The
Curse of the Demon/Night of the Demon
Curse of the Werewolf, The
Dark Water (2002--Japan)
Daughters of Darkness
Dead Alive (Peter Jackson)
Dead Zone, The (1983)
Dementia 13
Deranged (1974)
Descent, The (2005)
Devil Rides Out, The
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1932)
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1941)
Dr. Terror’s House of Horrors
Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark (1973)
Dracula (1979)
Dracula, Prince of Darkness
Dracula Has Risen from the Grave
Dracula’s Daughter
Equinox
Eraserhead
Evil Dead II
Eyes Without a Face
Flesh for Frankenstein (Andy Warhol’s Frankenstein)
Fly, The (1958)
Fly, The (1986)
Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell
Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed
Frankenstein: The True Story
Funhouse, The
Ghost Story (1981)
Haunting, The (1963)
Hell Night (1981)
Hills Have Eyes, The (1977)
Homicidal
Horror Express
Horrors of the Black Museum
House of Dark Shadows
House of Seven Corpses, The
House of Usher (1960)
House of Wax (1953)
House on Haunted Hill, The (1959)
House That Dripped Blood, The
Howling, The
Humanoids from the Deep (1980)
I Know What You Did Last Summer
I Spit on Your Grave (1977)
I Walked with a Zombie (1943)
Idle Hands
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
Island of Lost Souls (1933)
Jaws
King Kong (1933)
Kiss of the Vampire (1963)
Kwaidan (1964)
Last House on the Left, The (1972)
Let Sleeping Corpses Lie
Lisa and the Devil
Maniac (1980)
Mark of the Vampire (1935)
Martin (1977)
Masque of the Red Death, The (1964)
May (2002)
Most Dangerous Game, The (1932)
Motel Hell (1980)
Mother’s Day (1981)
Near Dark
Night of Dark Shadows
Night Stalker, The (1972)
Night Visitor, The (1971)
Old Dark House, The (1932)
Omen, The (1976)
Other, The (1972)
Others, The (2001)
Peeping Tom (1960)
Phantasm (1979)
Phantom of the Opera, The (1925)
Phenomena (aka Creepers)
Piranha (1978)
Plague of the Zombies (1966)
Plan 9 from Outer Space (1959)
Planet of the Vampires (1965)
Private Parts (1972)
Q: The Winged Serpent (1982)
Rabid
Race with the Devil
Raven, The (1935)
Raven, The (1963)
Ringu
Scanners (1981)
Scream of Fear (1961)
Skull, The (1965)
Son of Frankenstein (1939)
Sorcerers, The (1967)
Spirits of the Dead
Squirm
Sssssss
Stepford Wives, The (1975)
Tales from the Crypt (1972)
Tales of Terror (1962)
Targets (1968)
Tenebre
Terror Train (1981)
They Came from Within (aka Shivers)
13 Ghosts (1960)
Tingler, The
Tomb of Ligeia, The
Tombs of the Blind Dead
Toolbox Murders, The (1978)
Twice-Told Tales
Twisted Nerve
Two Thousand Maniacs! (1964)
Uninvited, The (1944)
Village of the Damned (1960)
Werewolf of London (1935)
Werewolves on Wheels (1971)
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962)
When a Stranger Calls (1979)
Whip and the Body, The
Wicker Man, The (1973)
Witchfinder General
Zombie (Fulci)

If we were to use ONLY films from that list, it would cover the subset choices for the next four challenges. I'm not advocating that, but I AM advocating that we think about using some of the films on the list (and there are many, many others just as worthy) instead of subjecting everyone to I SPIT ON YOUR LUNCH II: THE AFTERTHOUGHT or some other such rubbish. With all of the classic and semi-classic films still out there that many people may not have seen yet, we really owe it to ourselves to explore the heritage of horror and not just pick the latest direct-to-video sequel to a film that wasn't particularly good to begin with.

Last edited by rbrown498; 11-03-13 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-03-13, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rbrown498
I have to disagree with you on this one, Undeadcow. Yes, it's true that we've already used many, many classics...but I did a relatively quick match-up of classic films that we've already used against some of what I consider to be noteworthy (for one reason or another) films in the genre, and I came up with a pretty big list of titles that are at least somewhat "classic" that haven't been used yet.

I think that you'll be amazed at some of the films on the list:
Now eliminate the ones that aren't easily accessible for streaming and it goes down a lot. That being said, there's still a lot of good movies out there which are available for streaming that haven't been picked yet.
Old 11-03-13, 10:09 AM

Received 215 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
Now eliminate the ones that aren't easily accessible for streaming and it goes down a lot. That being said, there's still a lot of good movies out there which are available for streaming that haven't been picked yet.
But then again,

a) it looks like maybe we'll be backing off a bit on the streaming requirement,

and

b) who knows what'll be streaming eleven months from now?

I think that many, many of the films on that list would be worthwhile additions to any horror fan's library, and even the ones that may not be "classics" (such as Werewolves on Wheels or Idle Hands, to name two) should generate some interesting discussion. If we could get the subset list finalized a few weeks before the Challenge, that would give everyone time to hunt down the ones that they'd like to watch*.

*I usually place an order with GoHastings.com as soon as the subset films are finalized, since one can find most any older horror title in used or previously-viewed condition there for cheap--usually $3 shipped or lower. I'd love to be able to rent some, but in my town, it's Redbox ONLY, which leaves only Netflix for non-new releases.
Old 11-03-13, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

Last year I had trouble getting films like Blacula on Netflix. When the challenge started it went from available to unknown status. I think because everybody was renting it from Netflix for this challenge.
Old 11-03-13, 01:43 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

Too ADHD right now to read and respond appropriately perhaps, but figured I'd at least get a quick comment in on the current main discussion.

I see the point of how limiting subset choices to streaming options could be too restrictive, but personally I'd be very opposed to moving away from the limit. I'd even want 100% of the films to be easily available. Yes the list is optional, but we shouldn't force anyone to spend more than the cost of one month of Netflix and a couple redbox rentals.

And some themes were difficult to finding streaming choices, but remember that their are thousands of themes. We should choose the 33 subset films first, each one has multiple possible themes they would fit.

If Chad does decide to make it less restrictive, then I'd very much request removing subset compliance from any sort of prize determination. Or perhaps make completing all the streaming titles count as 100% compliance. So this year, for example, the 27 that streamed are as good as all 31.
Old 11-03-13, 02:33 PM

I don't think we ended up with such a strong "streaming only" stance this year. Several choices like Killer Tongue, In Their Skin, Lords of Salem, etc weren't streaming. There seemed to be a point in earlier planning it was decided to be more open. My opinion is that's is critical subset options be reasonably attainable, it's not realistic to expect participants to shell out funds for a lot of the picks as random blind buys.
That's all I meant, yes: "reasonably attainable".

I don't understand why the only options are stream or blind buy.
It's not that they're the only options, merely the two easiest. These challenges (despite the name!) are surely meant to be fun, enjoyable and inclusive. Not a hassle and a scramble...

Why not a 1-month Netflix trial? Do they not include disc trials anymore?
For the first part, I think that's still a cost, and for me personally one I neither need nor want. It's not an outrageous thing to ask - and, again, this is all for an entirely voluntary part of the challenge: I know and accept that! - but it is one I would rather not have to deal with. It's an obligation, a hassle and a difficulty: Amazon Prime works on some of my electronic devices, but Netflix did not the one time I tried it; I don't like handing out credit card information (long and more complex story withheld).

While I don't know the answer to the second part, a disc trial would not - as I remember it - help much with a daily subset, because of the turnaround required. So it'd be streaming only - and since not all of the films were on Netflix, it would be an obligation required only for a couple of films.

In any case, Netflix is a tangent - the original question was about why streaming was a consideration in the first place..! So if streaming wasn't considered, a Netflix trial would presumably be of little-to-no benefit....

Or maybe going to a video rental store?
We have none - or, I'll correct that: none nearby. And the nearest (not terribly near) has a woeful selection.

Am I the only person who still lives in an area where you can rent movies?
Library (poor selection), friends (poorer selection) or nothing here.

If everything is supposed to be free, then we probably shouldn't even include Netflix in our options.
Sarcasm noted, but: Agreed!

Last edited by ntnon; 11-03-13 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-03-13, 02:48 PM

I think one of the biggest limitations to the subset films is that we can not select previous choices so now so many years out a lot of landmark acclaimed films have already served their duty. One role the subset and theme nights play is to encourage film diversity and discussion, like Ntnon said. I never would have thought to watch Killer Tongue but as much as I disliked it (after blind buying) I appreciate the exposure to... something new. I'm not a fan of changing that but it does force more random/questionable suggestions challenging us to explore new items.
Another thing to consider is that so many of you (regular participants; horror fans) have already seen almost everything! So to open 'you' up to something new is terribly difficult.

Thus, there's several pulls on the subset: novelty (past years), novelty (participants), availability (at all), availability (ease), availability (cost) and so forth... all over and above the theme nights.

CAVEAT: This is carping and semi-complaining for hopefully productive purposes. I am in almost no way actually critical of the subset idea, process and choices and hope that this is seen as such!

Trevor suggested planning theme nights and subsets early to give people time to plan, that's an interesting idea. As long as people can reasonable access selections I think we just need to come up with more creative choices - even just streaming there are 100s of Netflix/YouTube/etc options.Blacula was annoying to track down, I ended up having to illicitly download it when the year before it was at Walmart for $5 it was then nowhere to be found. I remember when Embodiment of Evil, a then newly released blu-ray not carried at many brick/mortar stores, was on the listen and that was a dog to track down (I wasn't able to) so fortunately it was changed.
I was wondering myself whether there would be any interest - and whether it would be a good/bad/terrible idea - to use an early subset talk to also semi-coordinate with (necessarily only some) participants' collections...? For instance, presuming that many/most people will own some/most Universal/Hammer/common Franchise titles, perhaps picking one or two titles from that "already owned" category could encourage participation on at least some days...? Or trying an informal poll of unopened titles to see if there are some that have been sitting on multiple shelves waiting for the challenge..?

Originally Posted by pacaway
I like the idea that those picking the titles are free to pick their favorites and not whatever is available.
Should there still be restrictions based on 'previous picks', though..? Or could people potentially nominate the same favourite every few years..?

Last edited by ntnon; 11-03-13 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-03-13, 02:51 PM

Chad posted a streaming link for In Their Skin, so the only non-streaming titles were Lords of Salem and Killer Tongue (which had some of the biggest discussion participation). What were the rest of the etc., Undeadcow? I don't believe there were any others. Killer Tongue was chosen partly because it was streaming, but the site ended up having malware. I would say 29 out of 31 is a pretty strong stance.
It might be worth pointing out that "streaming legally" (or at the very least the pseudo-legality of YouTube..) may be a consideration for some/many people over-and-above avoiding malware..

Yes, there are a lot of movies streaming online, but there weren't as many that would fit into some of the narrow themes we had. And let's be honest, a great many of the films streaming on Netflix are crap.
Is that perhaps a subtle vote for widening some themes, too...?

Maybe the themes have become narrower and that's part of the problem. It may have already been suggested to compile subset film suggestions and base themes retroactively around film picks.
Retroactive themes could be a giant headache, but with some help might be a brilliant solution.

It occurred to me the other day that not-quite-one-for-one swapping the theme night categories with the lengthy checklist might widen the daily choices considerably. And sort-of eliminate the difficulty some of the more restrictive themes present by a) giving 31 days to find an eligible title, and b) only requiring a percentage of them for checklist completion.

Last edited by ntnon; 11-03-13 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-03-13, 03:04 PM

Maybe we should just not get hung up on people having to watch all of them. Since it kind of goes that way, it can turn off people that might not have some of them and then just decide not to watch any of them.
I wondered that, too. Obviously the whole idea is 'optional', but certainly allowing someone to participate in the subset challenge without necessarily having to watch all 31 might be a help.

Another way that would make it easier on a wallet would be to do a weekly pick instead of a daily one. Then possibly try to have the theme nights for that week also be applicable to the film. I think a weekly pick would be much more accessible to someone that only watches 30-50 films a challenge, since I think the people doing the daily subset are the ones getting higher numbers in the challenge.
I do like that idea - it would also help with the person/people who mentioned that they'd only be watching one-or-two a day, chose the subset choice for one of them and felt disappointed more often than not.

Or do it side-by-side: a weekly uber-pick (that could be - but needn't be - harder to get hold of, but with only 4-5 it wouldn't be outrageous), with sub-subset picks for the hardcore that are easier/free-r to find.

With two groupings (4-5 and 31) most people could easily - if they wanted - do the former, and then there's still the more involved option for others.
Old 11-03-13, 05:22 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I can only speak for myself, as a first time participant, but I treated the subset films as something that was optional and tried to watch them if they were available to me. I didn't see it as an "all or nothing" sort of proposition. I ended up watching 16/31 of the subset films which included some very good surprises that I wouldn't have otherwise watched. The films I didn't watch were either due to a time crunch on a particular day, limited availability, or simply because I had already watched a film within the year or prior and wasn't interested in watching it again at this point. I wasn't particularly worried about not being eligible for one of the big prize packs or whatever for not completing the entire subset films. It is after all a choice whether or not to complete them. I'm sure other people have different priorities and have to complete everything though. That is totally understandable.
Old 11-03-13, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm kind of an all or nothing type when it comes to subsets/theme nights/checklist for a couple reasons. If I'm going to do one of them, I'm going to go all the way with it. Otherwise it feels like wasted effort. As for the subsets films, many people contributed towards making the list and so I'm going to follow through with the created project. If I watch all or none, then I'm at least being fair to everyone. Even if there's something I consider a turd as one of them, I'll still give it a chance and watch it again.
Old 11-03-13, 09:38 PM

I enjoy the subset component and am confused by some of the criticism. Even duds are fun to explore, and primarily discuss (like Killer Tongue this year shows films of questionable merit are still fun to discuss). I like the subset like it is.

This is a challenge designed around watching 100 movies in a month. The subset films recommend some common viewings to increase discussion.
...I came up with a pretty big list of titles that are at least somewhat "classic" that haven't been used yet...

Spoiler:
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein
Abominable Dr. Phibes, The
Alice, Sweet Alice
Alien
Amityville Horror, The (1979)
Asphyx, The
Audition
Basket Case
Bay of Blood (aka Twitch of the Death Nerve)
Beast with Five Fingers, The
Bedlam
Before I Hang
Beyond, The (Fulci)
Birds, The
Black Cat, The (1934)
Black Christmas (1974)
Blair Witch Project, The
Blood and Black Lace
Blood and Roses
Blood Feast
Blood for Dracula (Andy Warhol’s Dracula)
Blood on Satan’s Claw, The
Bride of Frankenstein, The
Brides of Dracula, The
Brood, The
Burning, The
Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, The (1920)
Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter
Carnival of Souls
Carrie (1976)
Cat People (1942)
Cat People (1982)
Children of the Corn (1984)
Children Shouldn’t Play with Dead Things
Curse of Frankenstein, The
Curse of the Demon/Night of the Demon
Curse of the Werewolf, The
Dark Water (2002--Japan)
Daughters of Darkness
Dead Alive (Peter Jackson)
Dead Zone, The (1983)
Dementia 13
Deranged (1974)
Descent, The (2005)
Devil Rides Out, The
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1932)
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1941)
Dr. Terror’s House of Horrors
Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark (1973)
Dracula (1979)
Dracula, Prince of Darkness
Dracula Has Risen from the Grave
Dracula’s Daughter
Equinox
Eraserhead
Evil Dead II
Eyes Without a Face
Flesh for Frankenstein (Andy Warhol’s Frankenstein)
Fly, The (1958)
Fly, The (1986)
Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell
Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed
Frankenstein: The True Story
Funhouse, The
Ghost Story (1981)
Haunting, The (1963)
Hell Night (1981)
Hills Have Eyes, The (1977)
Homicidal
Horror Express
Horrors of the Black Museum
House of Dark Shadows
House of Seven Corpses, The
House of Usher (1960)
House of Wax (1953)
House on Haunted Hill, The (1959)
House That Dripped Blood, The
Howling, The
Humanoids from the Deep (1980)
I Know What You Did Last Summer
I Spit on Your Grave (1977)
I Walked with a Zombie (1943)
Idle Hands
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
Island of Lost Souls (1933)
Jaws
King Kong (1933)
Kiss of the Vampire (1963)
Kwaidan (1964)
Last House on the Left, The (1972)
Let Sleeping Corpses Lie
Lisa and the Devil
Maniac (1980)
Mark of the Vampire (1935)
Martin (1977)
Masque of the Red Death, The (1964)
May (2002)
Most Dangerous Game, The (1932)
Motel Hell (1980)
Mother’s Day (1981)
Near Dark
Night of Dark Shadows
Night Stalker, The (1972)
Night Visitor, The (1971)
Old Dark House, The (1932)
Omen, The (1976)
Other, The (1972)
Others, The (2001)
Peeping Tom (1960)
Phantasm (1979)
Phantom of the Opera, The (1925)
Phenomena (aka Creepers)
Piranha (1978)
Plague of the Zombies (1966)
Plan 9 from Outer Space (1959)
Planet of the Vampires (1965)
Private Parts (1972)
Q: The Winged Serpent (1982)
Rabid
Race with the Devil
Raven, The (1935)
Raven, The (1963)
Ringu
Scanners (1981)
Scream of Fear (1961)
Skull, The (1965)
Son of Frankenstein (1939)
Sorcerers, The (1967)
Spirits of the Dead
Squirm
Sssssss
Stepford Wives, The (1975)
Tales from the Crypt (1972)
Tales of Terror (1962)
Targets (1968)
Tenebre
Terror Train (1981)
They Came from Within (aka Shivers)
13 Ghosts (1960)
Tingler, The
Tomb of Ligeia, The
Tombs of the Blind Dead
Toolbox Murders, The (1978)
Twice-Told Tales
Twisted Nerve
Two Thousand Maniacs! (1964)
Uninvited, The (1944)
Village of the Damned (1960)
Werewolf of London (1935)
Werewolves on Wheels (1971)
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962)
When a Stranger Calls (1979)
Whip and the Body, The
Wicker Man, The (1973)
Witchfinder General
Zombie (Fulci)
Nice list, it's hard to argue with that. There are still tons of quality films for subset selection.
I'm kind of an all or nothing type when it comes to subsets/theme nights/checklist...
Likewise here. ...But if I think about it, there's no reason I should have to complete EVERYTHING other than my own pettiness.
...*I usually place an order with GoHastings.com as soon as the subset films are finalized...
Gohastings.com is my "go to" for subset films too, especially when Gohastings has a discount sale.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 11-04-13 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-04-13, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

I think the subset and theme nights are fine as is... I'd say streaming of some sort is best, but doesn't have to be 100%... 100 movies is attainable with work for a prize consideration... then the 31 films and subsets is with a little work, attainable... its not the end of the world if one doesnt watch the 31 films... but at the same time if you watch all 31 films on their day then you actually get 2 prize chances...1 for the 31 films and one for the theme nights
Old 11-04-13, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

I think there's definitely a place for comedies and oddball films with the subset list. Variety is important and it helps prevent you from getting burned out with films that are too similar. ParaNorman was one of my favorite new viewings this month. I just felt like the overall list skewed a bit too far on the goofy side.

Nearly a third of the films were silly, and that would be fine if there were more spooky films to balance things out. And here's where I'm not sure if the problem was with me or the list. I had already seen Return of the Living Dead 3, John Dies at the End, Scream, Grave Encounters, Pontypool, and a Nightmare Before Christmas, many of which I felt were among the best films of the subset list. So there weren't many surprising gems that really spooked me out this month, whereas last year was full of great new films that creeped me out.

Was it a weak list? Or am I just becoming a jaded horror fan that is desensitized. I'm not sure. Again, I enjoyed most of the films on the subset list, I just didn't find many of my first viewings to be very scary. I am thinking of just holding off on horror movies as much as possible until next October, that way I won't spoil myself on any potentially great subset picks for next year, and perhaps will go into the month feeling a bit more fresh and easy to scare.

Part of the problem is that I don't have much time to devote to the challenge, I can typically only watch one, maybe two films a night. I'm also OCD enough to feel compelled to complete the challenge once I've started it. Next year I think I'll be better prepared by saving some spooky selections to watch during the weekend after completing the subset/theme night of the day.
Old 11-04-13, 12:17 PM

I'm kind of an all or nothing type when it comes to subsets/theme nights/checklist for a couple reasons. If I'm going to do one of them, I'm going to go all the way with it. Otherwise it feels like wasted effort. As for the subsets films, many people contributed towards making the list and so I'm going to follow through with the created project.
Well articulated.
Old 11-04-13, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
And here's where I'm not sure if the problem was with me or the list. I had already seen Return of the Living Dead 3, John Dies at the End, Scream, Grave Encounters, Pontypool, and a Nightmare Before Christmas, many of which I felt were among the best films of the subset list. So there weren't many surprising gems that really spooked me out this month, whereas last year was full of great new films that creeped me out.
When I'm picking movies, I'm under the assumption that more and more of the new participants are younger and probably haven't seen the range of films that the more experienced and older participants have. I try and hit the films that are somewhat older but probably haven't been as widely viewed by them, such as Night of the Living Dead.

You're just too well versed in horror but I offer this list to you http://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/to...horror+movies/

There's some duds in it and if you're like me when I first saw it, you've probably already seen a good portion of them. I still managed to find some new gems when finishing it up, so maybe you'd like it too.

Originally Posted by ntnon
Well articulated.
I have my moments of clarity

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.