Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Help Determine the Outcome of Next Year's "October Horror Movie Challenge"...

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-09-06, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Due to all the "controversy" this year concerning running times, commentaries and the like, I've decided to leave it up to everyone to decide certain rules for the next challenge. This thread will remain open prior to next year's event, so there's absolutely no rush to provide your answers. Check my sig to access this thread at anytime.

1. What should constitute a qualifying feature film:

A) The current 40-minute rule -- The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, the American Film Institute, and the British Film Institute all define a feature as a film with a running time of forty minutes or longer.

B) 60 minutes. Please note this would disqualify some older Universal, etc. films that run slightly under an hour as well as a few "Masters of Horror" episodes.

C) Other. Please explain.

2. Concerning "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" being the one exception to the rules:

A) It (and only it) should be the one qualifying exception and continue to count as it's required Halloween viewing.

B) It should NOT count as it does not meet current specifications.

C) Enact the three "wild cards" option as brought-up by caligulathegod.

D. Other. Please explain.

3. Should commentaries count:

A) Yes, and with no limits.

B) Yes, but with a limit of one per film.

C) Yes, but only one viewing is allowed: Either with a commentary or without.

D) No. Only films.

E) Other. Please explain.

4. Should television series (Buffy, Angel, Supernatural, etc.) count:

A) Yes. As long as it falls within whatever time-frame is decided upon.

B) No. As the titles indicates, it's "The October Horror MOVIE Challenge".

5. Should horror documentaries (The American Nightmare, Boogeymen, Fear in the Dark, etc.) count:

A) Yes.

B) No.

6. Should we continue having two separate threads (One for lists, one for discussion):

A) Yes. It makes the lists easier to sort through.

B) No. Everything should be contained within one single thread.

Old 11-09-06, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
What I think:

1. A) Keep the current 40-minute rule intact. This keeps certain older films, Masters of Horror episodes, etc. that are just under the one-hour mark from not qualifying. And lets face it, it's not exactly as if there's an abundance of horror films under the 60-minute mark to begin with.

2. A) Keep things just as they are. Again, I view it as your one "free pass" that's also essential Halloween viewing.

3. B) Yes, with a limit of one per film. I don't see any problem with catching a film with the commentary track enabled as long as you actually watch it all the way through. It also allows someone to view a film that they may not particularly enjoy to experience it in a whole new way (e.g. "I Spit on Your Grave" w/Joe Bob Briggs track). Now, if you're someone who likes to multitask and just listen while you're doing whatever else...of course not.

4. B) No. My intention from the very beginning from was to only include movies just as the title indicates.

5. A) Yes. It's not as if there's that many out there to begin with. And to my knowledge they all run at the 90-minute or above mark.

6. A) Yes! It makes it much easier to sort through the lists...and it makes my job so much easier!
Old 11-09-06, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My responses are below:

A) The current 40-minute rule -- The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, the American Film Institute, and the British Film Institute all define a feature as a film with a running time of forty minutes or longer.

- I say stick with this. I like the old Universal flicks.

2. Concerning "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" being the one exception to the rules:

- I don't mind the wild card option.

- This seems fair - commentary or no, the movie is the movie.

- This just about says it. I say the three wild cards could apply to TV episodes.

5. Should horror documentaries (The American Nightmare, Boogeymen, Fear in the Dark, etc.) count:

A) Yes.

- If they're 40 + minutes, then yes.

6. Should we continue having two separate threads (One for lists, one for discussion):

Yes, two threads! And maybe a sticky should be placed on the Movie List Thread.
Old 11-09-06, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
1. A) I think the current 40 minute rule is just fine. That's the standard definition of a feature so it's good enough for me.

2. A) I think it should continue to be the only free pass.

3. C) One viewing only. Like mrpeavey said, the movie is the movie with or without commentary.

4. B) No, tv shows should not be counted. This is a MOVIE challenge, not a television challenge.

5. C) Yes, they should count but they have to meet the 40+ minute runtime.

6. A) Yes, definitely. Two seperate threads keeps everything organized so that you don't have to rifle through 20 pages to find a single post. Also, a sticky on the Movie List thread would be a nice touch. That way we wouldn't have so many one word posts saying "bump" mixed in amongst the lists.
Old 11-09-06, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C) Enact the three "wild cards" option as brought-up by caligulathegod. I think this should be expanded though to TV shows as well. I like to watch a few Halloween themed episodes every year religiously. Why not count them in the wild cards? If you can contain the number, it seems in the spirit of Halloween horror viewing to count them to me.

B) No. As the titles indicates, it's "The October Horror MOVIE Challenge". I do support the Wild Card option being broadened to count a few TV viewings though.

A) Yes.

Old 11-09-06, 11:05 PM

A) 40 minute rule is fine.
B) I like the 3 wild cards idea. Why should I not get credit for watching Horror shorts such as Aftermath, Genesis, Cutting Moments, etc?
C) Commentaries: Either watch the movie with the commentary or watch it without. You should only get credit for one.
D) TV Series' shouldn't count.
E) Horror documentaries should still count.
F) Yes, continue having separate threads
Old 11-10-06, 12:49 AM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
1.A 2.A 3.C 4.B 5.A 6.B

As far as having one or two threads, I guess I like just having one thread better because it keeps all the conversation in one place.
Old 11-10-06, 02:15 AM

1. A) I think this is fine the way it is, although I'm not thrilled about stuff like MOH being included.

2. B or C) Why would there be an exception only for Great Pumpkin? Required Halloween viewing? Humph. I'd rather watch Disney's Legend of Sleepy Hollow or something. If you're going to allow some exceptions to the "horror movie" criteria, then let people choose what they want to watch.

3. C) Only one viewing: watch films you've never seen, watch your favorite horror movies that you've seen 1,000 times before, watch movies with commentaries/riffing, do all of the above, etc. But, IMO, it's lame to keep watching the same movie over and over.

4. B) Not unless the title is changed to "Halloween-related-stuff challenge" or something. If this is going to be called a "horror movie challenge," then we should all be watching movies. If most people want to watch certain episodes of a TV series--or other Halloween-ish stuff--then I think that should be addressed by something like caligulathegod's "wild card" idea.

5. C) I personally don't have a problem with people watching "real" horror documentaries, but is there a way to exclude the "making of" featurettes and whatnot that are included on some DVDs? I think it seems like certain things should count, but others shouldn't...

6. A) It seems like a good idea to me. I'm not sure this should even be up for debate; if this makes things easier for Chad (or whoever), then I'm sure the rest of us can handle it.
Old 11-10-06, 02:57 AM

1.a
2.c
3.b
4.b
5.b
6.b
Old 11-10-06, 06:15 AM
Cool New Member

A) The current 40-minute rule

A) Yes.

Old 11-10-06, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I think everything worked really well. Except my inability to finish what I started.
Old 11-10-06, 07:17 AM

1. A - The current 40-minute rule -- The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, the American Film Institute, and the British Film Institute all define a feature as a film with a running time of forty minutes or longer.

2. C - Enact the three "wild cards" option as brought-up by caligulathegod.

3. B - Yes, but with a limit of one per film.

4. B - No. As the titles indicates, it's "The October Horror MOVIE Challenge".

5. A - Yes.

6. A - Yes. It makes the lists easier to sort through.
Old 11-10-06, 08:40 AM

Who are we to argue with the Academy and all the other institutes that recognize this rule? Besides, I'd hate a rule that excludes any of the classics!

The wild card rule would end a lot of whining. Three sounds right to me, but a one-a-week rule might work too.

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't. I say you watch the movie, it should count, regardless of the soundtrack picked...but only once.

This could fall into the wildcard rules. Fine if you must...but it counts as one of your three wildcards..

Grey area here. If docs are allowed, then like we saw this year, many will count every little making of doc on a DVD, which I do not think is right. My vote would be for the wildcard to apply here. Much like a TV series, a documentary is not a "movie". If they are allowed, it should be specified that they must be a "general" documentary...not a making-of. Should also have a length constraint (probably 40 min also).

Two threads make life easier.
Old 11-10-06, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

1. 40+ rule stays.
2. It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown is not A HORROR MOVIE!!!!!!!!! End of discussion.
3. Watch with or without commentary, but only count once.
4. See statement from B. A tv show is NOT A HORROR MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5. yeah, sure
6. 1 thread for listing only, 1 for discussion. how simple is that?
Old 11-10-06, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Who......cares?

Seriously folks it's just a game. No sense bitching about something people make up to win anyways.
Old 11-10-06, 10:12 AM

1) A 40 minutes or greater A 60 minutes rule is absurd when dealing with genre films.
2) C Three Wild Cards
3) D No commentaries
4) A Yes, if they are at least 40 minutes long without commercials.
5) B No Docs
6) A Yes

Retitle the event: October Halloween Challenge

Last edited by starecase; 11-10-06 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-10-06, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here are my choices... my comments (if any) follow in italics:

I'd say stick with this one... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

B) It should NOT count as it does not meet current specifications.

That about sums it up... I love the Peanuts specials too, but they're not movies. I don't think exceptions or 'wild cards' are a good idea, personally.

I'm tempted to say they should count, since my total would be much higher that way but as others have stated, this is a movie challenge. Unless you change the name of the challenge, and then I'm all for it.

A) Yes.

Only if they meet the runtime requirement, whatever that winds up being.

Old 11-10-06, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 118 Posts

C) Other. Please explain. No for television series but yes for mini-series -- counts as one title.

A) Yes. If you allow 1-A. then you should allow 5-A.

Would it be more accurate to call this the "October Horror Film Challenge" if docs, etc., are allowed?
Old 11-10-06, 12:09 PM

1. A
2. C
3. D
4. C...individual episodes should not count, but made for TV movies (including miniseries) should count (eg "The Stand" should count, but "Masters of Horror" should not count).
5. A
6. A

Last edited by JerryKILL; 11-11-06 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-10-06, 12:48 PM

1. B) 60 minutes. Please note this would disqualify some older Universal, etc. films that run slightly under an hour as well as a few "Masters of Horror" episodes.

2. C) Enact the three "wild cards" option as brought-up by caligulathegod.

3. D) No. Only films.

4. B) No. As the titles indicates, it's "The October Horror MOVIE Challenge".

5. A) Yes. (as long as they are at least over 60 min.)

6. A) Yes. It makes the lists easier to sort through.
Old 11-10-06, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by alfonsosoriano
Who......cares?

Seriously folks it's just a game. No sense bitching about something people make up to win anyways.
Well put! I'm amazed at all the arguments over such a ridiculous "bragging rights" topic.
Old 11-10-06, 02:33 PM
Cool New Member

When playing a game there are rules that need to be followed, making this thread will cut down all the arguments. If you dont like it dont post in the thread your just adding on to the bitching and arguments.
Old 11-10-06, 03:00 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
1. A Current lengths are fine.
2. C Wildcards are a good idea, but if we do them, they're for Halloween specials, not episodes of Buffy, Angel, etc.
3. B
4. B Absolutely not
5. A Yes, if they meet the 60-minute run time
6. A Yes! Makes reading a lot easier

Another suggestion: set established below-100 goal levels from the start for those who can't make that many (like you've done with the results). This will give a sense of accomplishment to those who set and reach smaller amounts, and lessen the series of posts talking about how busy everyone is with work and school. Perhaps the categories could be named for horror filmmakers, unless that would set off arguments in itself...

Thanks again Chad for all your work.

Last edited by Shack; 11-10-06 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-10-06, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

To all those answering "no" for question 4 - Masters of Horror is a TV series, but it seems no one has a problem with its inclusion. Why? How is a 44 minute episode of Masters of Horror different from a 44 minute episode of Angel or Buffy the Vampire Slayer? The only difference I can think of is that Masters of Horror has a shorter season.

Maybe this has already been discussed elsewhere, and if so please point me towards the answer. I'm new to this discussion, as I was too busy to participate in last month's challenge.
Old 11-10-06, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
To all those answering "no" for question 4 - Masters of Horror is a TV series, but it seems no one has a problem with its inclusion.
I've never seen it, but if it's a TV series, then it shouldn't be included. Including it, while excluding hour-long episodes of other TV shows, especially other anthology shows, doesn't make any sense. JMHO, YMMV

Rob

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.