Reload this Page >

6th Annual Sci Fi/Fantasy Challenge

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

6th Annual Sci Fi/Fantasy Challenge

Old 06-19-13, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Re: 6th Annual Sci Fi/Fantasy Challenge

I could get behind adding Philip K. Dick to the checklist: Blade Runner, Total Recall, Minority Report, The Adjustment Bureau...Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.
Old 06-19-13, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by lisadoris
I could get behind adding Philip K. Dick to the checklist: Blade Runner, Total Recall, Minority Report, The Adjustment Bureau...Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.
Not necessarily... all you have to do is pick one...
Old 06-19-13, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Was at my moms house digging for treasures of childhoods past and I came across this:

Seemed appropriate for this challenge.
Old 06-20-13, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Not necessarily... all you have to do is pick one...
We're the fun in that . Actually I haven't seen the Total Recall remake so this would be an excuse to grab it from the library.
Old 06-23-13, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

List thread has been posted. Here.

I've also updated the checklist by adding Phillip K Dick and HP Lovecraft to the Ray Bradbury line, added First Contact as a genre, and also specified under the Criterion check that it does not have to be the Criterion Version.

Anyone else getting as excited about the challenge as I am?
Old 06-23-13, 10:28 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

This gal sure is! One of my favorite genres and challenges.

I really like the additions made to the checklist. I tend to go a little crazy with it, but I like that it ends up introducing me to films/actors I may never have been exposed to otherwise. Thanks, shadokitty, for running things!
Old 06-23-13, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm saving Lifeforce to start things off.
Old 06-23-13, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've not yet decided which film I want to use as a starting point. I've been purchasing stuff all year in anticipation. I'm kind of leaning towards Dogora or The Day of the Triffids but I also picked up the Criterion "Monsters and Madmen" set (that one's been *very* hard to "ignore"), Tobor the Great, The Blob, Zardoz, and several others. Everytime I pick up one of those to watch I tell myself "Wait for the challenge..."
Old 06-23-13, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've already started watching some sci fi as I have had the box set of the complete series of Tekkaman Blade laying around, that I only watched two episodes of so far back in the Make Your Own Challenge.
Old 06-23-13, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Too bad we couldn't start this week, since downtown Calgary is flooded out right now and I cannot return to my office for a few more days.
Old 06-23-13, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by cliffl
Too bad we couldn't start this week, since downtown Calgary is flooded out right now and I cannot return to my office for a few more days.
Still got a week remaining of our Historical Appreciation Challenge, in case you've got any war or western movies you've been wanting to watch! Or biopics...or documentaries...or period dramas...
Old 06-23-13, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Still got a week remaining of our Historical Appreciation Challenge, in case you've got any war or western movies you've been wanting to watch! Or biopics...or documentaries...or period dramas...
That's true! You got me there! I have to take SOME time off!
Old 06-23-13, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I love it when a new challenge list goes up! I always think, "Well, the gang's assembling!"

I'm planning to rewatch Battlestar Galactica and get through some of my unwatched pile. I plan to start with Children of Men or Solaris.
Old 06-23-13, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im not a big sci fi guy but have been itching for some lately kinda getting an early start since theres so much i want to watch and unfortunately unlike the horror challenge i dont have so much time to watch movies during the summer.

I wanna get to some of my battlestar galactica, Firefly, and attempt some star trek episodes again
Old 06-24-13, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I couldn't wait so I just re-watched Space:Above and Beyond. I'm amazed at how well that show holds up. I'll save Sliders and Alien Nation for the challenge.
Old 06-24-13, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I keep itching to re watch some Star Trek. I also recently ordered the Alien Predator Total Destruction Collection from Amazon. It has the first 4 Alien movies, the first two Predator movies, and both Alien vs Predator movies. Not a bad deal for $37
Old 06-24-13, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
I love it when a new challenge list goes up! I always think, "Well, the gang's assembling!"

I'm planning to rewatch Battlestar Galactica...
Which one? That reminded me I picked up a copy of the original series a few months back and haven't yet watched it... It's not a favorite but I may work it in anyway.
Originally Posted by lisadoris
I'll save Sliders...
Another I forgot about... I finally purchased a copy of S5 months ago to complete the collection. I don't recall much of that season from the original run other than I watched it sporadically at that point and didn't like it much. Good excuse for making time for it...
Originally Posted by shadokitty
I keep itching to re watch some Star Trek.
And... S4 of Enterprise is still waiting for my attention. Other than the horrible theme song/opening sequence that one surprised me as being far better than reviews I've read seem to indicate. Yes it has problems, but what Trek series doesn't? I've said it before and I'll say it again, I like Enterprise better than TNG.

I can hardly wait!
Old 06-24-13, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Which one? That reminded me I picked up a copy of the original series a few months back and haven't yet watched it... It's not a favorite but I may work it in anyway.
The 2000s reboot of Battlestar Galactica. I got the series on BD last year and haven't had a chance to watch it. I traded in all of my DVD sets after getting an Amazon deal on the set and ended up only spending $10 to upgrade! It's been quite a while since I watched to series all the way through. It's been even longer since I've seen the original series. I guess it would have been 7-8 years ago when I would watch reruns on SyFy. I have great love for cheesy science fiction so the series was right up my alley.

I also have lots of anime to get through and am hoping to make a dent in my unwatched pile. First up (probably): Wolf's Rain or Visions of Escaflowne.
Old 06-24-13, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

anyone finally going to crack the box open on Space: 1999 like me?
Old 06-24-13, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
The 2000s reboot of Battlestar Galactica. I got the series on BD last year and haven't had a chance to watch it. I traded in all of my DVD sets after getting an Amazon deal on the set and ended up only spending $10 to upgrade! It's been quite a while since I watched to series all the way through. It's been even longer since I've seen the original series. I guess it would have been 7-8 years ago when I would watch reruns on SyFy. I have great love for cheesy science fiction so the series was right up my alley.

I also have lots of anime to get through and am hoping to make a dent in my unwatched pile. First up (probably): Wolf's Rain or Visions of Escaflowne.
I really enjoyed the reboot and thought the ending worked well within the context of the program in spite of figuring out where they were headed well before the final episode. If it weren't for all the unopened stuff I have laying around I'd lean towards re-watching it for the challenge.

I watched *part* of the original series when it first aired. The premier episode was highly anticipated and the day finally arrived, but roughly 2/3's the way in ABC interrupted with a special report of the signing of the Camp David Accords! I was *highly* annoyed! The "special" ran for about an hour (maybe longer - I was too disgusted with the interruption to really notice) after which they continued with the broadcast but the momentum was gone. I watched a few more weeks but gave up in disgust as it seemed like nothing more than a slightly more intelligent Saturday AM kids show. I've read it got more "adult" in the later episodes but have never seen them. Most of that set will be first viewings.
Old 06-24-13, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts

I thought about it last year but didn't quite get there. Not sure about this year. Too many choices.
Old 06-24-13, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mine was opened *long* ago... but I own a copy of the 30th Anniversary Edition Megaset (slim-pack). I've been trying to decide if I want to double-dip for the remastered sets.
Old 06-24-13, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

I think I've watched a few episodes during each of the SciFi/Fantasy Challenges so far. I'm sure I'll watch a few during this one too.

Edit: Looks like I only watched it in '09 and '10.
Old 06-24-13, 01:50 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

This is one of my way-too-many choices each year. It still sits unopened.

Jen and I started Lost last year for this Challenge iirc, and are part way through season 5 as of today. So my goal is to finish that series by early July and then move on to something I can watch without her. Waiting for our schedules to mesh and us both to be in the mood to watch the same thing is tortuous. Perhaps Smallville, as I'm on a comic book kick lately and have never watched an episode.
Old 06-24-13, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
This is one of my way-too-many choices each year. It still sits unopened.

Jen and I started Lost last year for this Challenge iirc, and are part way through season 5 as of today. So my goal is to finish that series by early July and then move on to something I can watch without her.
You should follow the series finale of Lost with This Is 40.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.