Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

6th Annual Sci Fi/Fantasy Challenge

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

6th Annual Sci Fi/Fantasy Challenge

Old 08-17-13, 08:01 AM
  #926  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,389
Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: 6th Annual Sci Fi/Fantasy Challenge

The new winner for the MMPR Season 2 Volumes 1 and 2 Sets is JennandtheCats. I will give until Friday to redraw unless I hear before that they either want it or pass on it.
Old 08-17-13, 08:38 PM
  #927  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 505
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: 6th Annual Sci Fi/Fantasy Challenge

I received my prize this week, thanks again GoldenWheels!
Old 08-17-13, 08:52 PM
  #928  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 52,845
Received 1,055 Likes on 869 Posts
Re: 6th Annual Sci Fi/Fantasy Challenge

Originally Posted by pacaway
But the crème de la crème of my August Sci-Fi watching has to have been seeing Serenity in the theater last night with a sold out crowd!
Old 08-17-13, 11:33 PM
  #929  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 122
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 6th Annual Sci Fi/Fantasy Challenge

Yae, I'm excited I won! This was only my second challenge. How do I go about contacting you, Shadokitty? (Still figuring everything out here.)
Old 08-18-13, 08:15 AM
  #930  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,389
Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: 6th Annual Sci Fi/Fantasy Challenge

Originally Posted by JennandTheCats
Yae, I'm excited I won! This was only my second challenge. How do I go about contacting you, Shadokitty? (Still figuring everything out here.)
You can either send me a PM with your info and I'll pass it on to GoldenWheels, or you can pass your info to Goldenwheels directly. Info is just your name and mailing address.
Old 08-18-13, 02:44 PM
  #931  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Dimension X's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The unknown world of the future
Posts: 5,525
Received 464 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: 6th Annual Sci Fi/Fantasy Challenge

Originally Posted by JennandTheCats
Yae, I'm excited I won! This was only my second challenge. How do I go about contacting you, Shadokitty? (Still figuring everything out here.)
Originally Posted by shadokitty
You can either send me a PM with your info and I'll pass it on to GoldenWheels, or you can pass your info to Goldenwheels directly. Info is just your name and mailing address.
I may be wrong, but I don't think PMs work for new members until they have ten (or twenty?) posts, so use email if you can't use PMs. If you click on a member's name on any post, you should see a dropdown menu that has "send a private message" or "send email" to that member.

...and neither shadokitty or GoldenWheels have the email option turned on.
Old 08-18-13, 03:03 PM
  #932  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 122
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 6th Annual Sci Fi/Fantasy Challenge

Dimension X, yep you are right. I can't send PMs and didn't have the option to email either. I have a friend who belongs to the forum. I suppose I could just have her message my info on....Who knew it would be so hard to send a message?
Old 08-18-13, 03:47 PM
  #933  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Dimension X's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The unknown world of the future
Posts: 5,525
Received 464 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: 6th Annual Sci Fi/Fantasy Challenge

Originally Posted by JennandTheCats
Dimension X, yep you are right. I can't send PMs and didn't have the option to email either. I have a friend who belongs to the forum. I suppose I could just have her message my info on....Who knew it would be so hard to send a message?
Click on my name to the left and see if you can email me (I don't know if email's unavailable to new posters or not), if you want. I can forward your info to GoldenWheels. I've hosted challenges in the past (there's a link in my sig to my last one), and have another coming up in November (Comedy!) that I hope you'll join.
Old 08-18-13, 04:25 PM
  #934  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,389
Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: 6th Annual Sci Fi/Fantasy Challenge

It's all taken care of JennandtheCats. Hyperweather sent me your info, and I passed it onto GoldenWheels. Your all set now. Congrats on winning.
Old 08-18-13, 08:56 PM
  #935  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 122
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 6th Annual Sci Fi/Fantasy Challenge

Thanks, Shadokitty. With a little ingenuity we got there in the end. Thanks for running a great challenge too. I really enjoyed it.

DimenionX-I can email you so it must just be a setting thing. Thanks for the offer of help, it's much appreciated. Looking forward to November, I'll be participating for sure!
Old 08-18-13, 09:14 PM
  #936  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Dimension X's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The unknown world of the future
Posts: 5,525
Received 464 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: 6th Annual Sci Fi/Fantasy Challenge

Originally Posted by JennandTheCats
DimenionX-I can email you so it must just be a setting thing. Thanks for the offer of help, it's much appreciated.
Well, I knew those two guys had the email option turned off because I could see it in the menus under other names, but not under theirs. I just wasn't sure if you could email people yet. Glad y'all worked it out.

Originally Posted by JennandTheCats
Looking forward to November, I'll be participating for sure!
Yay! That makes two of us in for sure!
Old 08-18-13, 09:20 PM
  #937  
DVD Talk Legend
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 10,494
Received 667 Likes on 484 Posts
Re: 6th Annual Sci Fi/Fantasy Challenge

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Twiki still annoys the crap out of me, mainly the "biddi-biddi-biddi" uttered frequently as well as the lame "jokes" which sometimes follow. At least most of those utterances are "interpreted" by Dr. Theopolis who doesn't bother me at all other than the somewhat inconsistent manner in which he's "animated" at times. The fact that I recognize Mel Blanc's voice, which is coming from a non-animated character, is part of the Twiki annoyance factor.
Originally Posted by Dimension X
Mel Blanc's voice is the only reason I sorta like that character. He was missing from the first several episodes of season 2, and they used a generic "little kid" voice for Twiki (and no "biddi-biddi-biddi"). I hated that, but maybe you'll like it.
As S1 went forward the lame jokes became fewer and Twiki became less annoying. I started S2 and the new voice is simply horrible! No wonder fans wrote in demanding the return of Blancs in the roll! It was nice when he returned and Twiki lost the "little kid" voice.
Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Based on what I've seen and have read about the series I'll be picking up S2 shortly. It'll be interesting to see the reportedly more serious tone and change of venue taken for that season.
Originally Posted by Dimension X
Nope, it stays just as goofy and cheesy in season 2...
Yep... it's very goofy and cheesy but in a much different way than S1. At least the Disco sets/music/routines are gone! The change in "hair" for Hawk from episode 1 to the later ones is a bit odd and it looks more like a headpiece than the original "doo".

Overall I'm really enjoying this series and am glad I went ahead with the purchase and didn't wait 'till next year to start S2.
Old 08-18-13, 09:21 PM
  #938  
DVD Talk Legend
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 10,494
Received 667 Likes on 484 Posts
Re: 6th Annual Sci Fi/Fantasy Challenge

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Well, I knew those two guys had the email option turned off because I could see it in the menus under other names, but not under theirs. I just wasn't sure if you could email people yet. Glad y'all worked it out.


Yay! That makes two of us in for sure!
Make that three! Comedy is another favorite of mine.
Old 08-18-13, 10:57 PM
  #939  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Dimension X's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The unknown world of the future
Posts: 5,525
Received 464 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: 6th Annual Sci Fi/Fantasy Challenge

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
As S1 went forward the lame jokes became fewer and Twiki became less annoying. I started S2 and the new voice is simply horrible! No wonder fans wrote in demanding the return of Blancs in the roll! It was nice when he returned and Twiki lost the "little kid" voice.


Yep... it's very goofy and cheesy but in a much different way than S1. At least the Disco sets/music/routines are gone! The change in "hair" for Hawk from episode 1 to the later ones is a bit odd and it looks more like a headpiece than the original "doo".

Overall I'm really enjoying this series and am glad I went ahead with the purchase and didn't wait 'till next year to start S2.
Season 2 wasn't bad (especially after Mel Blanc came back - I didn't know that fans requested his return - nice to know). I was in the right mood for it when I watched it, though, so I'm sure that helped.
Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Make that three! Comedy is another favorite of mine.
You wouldn't want to run a challenge of your own, would ya?
Old 08-19-13, 06:56 AM
  #940  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
GoldenWheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,291
Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts
Re: 6th Annual Sci Fi/Fantasy Challenge

Originally Posted by shadokitty
It's all taken care of JennandtheCats. Hyperweather sent me your info, and I passed it onto GoldenWheels. Your all set now. Congrats on winning.
Prize going out today, Enjoy JennandtheCats!
Old 08-19-13, 08:08 AM
  #941  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,389
Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: 6th Annual Sci Fi/Fantasy Challenge

Originally Posted by JennandTheCats
Looking forward to November, I'll be participating for sure!
Make that 4. After the Horror Movie Challenge, Comedy is always a nice change of pace. .
Old 08-27-13, 08:48 PM
  #942  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
caligulathegod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Grove City OH
Posts: 3,856
Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: 6th Annual Sci Fi/Fantasy Challenge

I see winners, but was there a results thread?
Old 08-28-13, 08:15 AM
  #943  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,389
Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: 6th Annual Sci Fi/Fantasy Challenge

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
I see winners, but was there a results thread?
I already said I wasn't doing a stats thread Caligula.
Old 09-13-13, 02:06 AM
  #944  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 122
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 6th Annual Sci Fi/Fantasy Challenge

Thanks, ShadoKitty and GoldenWheels. I got my prize in the mail. Thanks so much!
Old 09-13-13, 07:59 AM
  #945  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,389
Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: 6th Annual Sci Fi/Fantasy Challenge

Originally Posted by JennandTheCats
Thanks, ShadoKitty and GoldenWheels. I got my prize in the mail. Thanks so much!
Glad to hear it JennandTheCats, hope you enjoy it.
Old 08-18-23, 12:59 PM
  #946  
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2023
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crusade: A March Through Time

Originally Posted by LJG765
Since people are suggesting sci-fi titles, I'm going to throw one in. It's called Crusade-A-March-Through-Time. Based on a book called Crusade in Jeans, the movie does a pretty good job of following the book. Basically, a boy who's mother works at a lab accidentally gets sent back in time and mixed up with the Children's Crusade. I loved the book as a kid, and when I was trying to hunt down a copy years later, discovered they had made it a movie. It took a long time before I watched it, figuring they'd change all that I loved about the book, but it actually isn't too bad. I enjoyed it and thought it was pretty well done for the type of movie it was.
Hello, a question to @LJG765 and all others who own the US DVD release:
In Germany we have a DVD release of this movie - unfortunately it is in zoomed 16:9 full screen. The movie was made in Cinemascope (2.35:1) and should even on a 16:9 screen show with black bars above and below. The format and aspect ratio is not noted on the back cover of the US DVD (different from the Australia release, where it says 2.35:1). Could someone please check this? I would also like to know if it is an anarmorphic release which uses full vertical 480 lines. As this is a forum for experts, you will probably know what anarmorphic means, but I will try to explain it with my limited english vocabulary: : Inside a 4:3 window the screen should be compressed, so that there are no or only small black bars above and below. Without stretching this to use all 720 horizontal lines, a fat man would look like having a narrow face. The idea is to store as much video data as possible. A 16:9 TV would recognize that it is anarmorphic and would stretch the picture to its right aspect ratio.
Unfortunately there are a lot of DVDs which are 4:3 Letterbox, which means there are black borders not only above and below, but also on the left and right. You would need to zoom this to fill a 16:9 screen.

It seems that there is no HD release for this movie worldwide. Has there ever been a television broadcast in HD?

Greets,
Martin from Germany
Old 08-19-23, 01:15 PM
  #947  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
LJG765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,939
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: Crusade: A March Through Time

Originally Posted by DocStrange
Hello, a question to @LJG765 and all others who own the US DVD release:
In Germany we have a DVD release of this movie - unfortunately it is in zoomed 16:9 full screen. The movie was made in Cinemascope (2.35:1) and should even on a 16:9 screen show with black bars above and below. The format and aspect ratio is not noted on the back cover of the US DVD (different from the Australia release, where it says 2.35:1). Could someone please check this? I would also like to know if it is an anarmorphic release which uses full vertical 480 lines. As this is a forum for experts, you will probably know what anarmorphic means, but I will try to explain it with my limited english vocabulary: : Inside a 4:3 window the screen should be compressed, so that there are no or only small black bars above and below. Without stretching this to use all 720 horizontal lines, a fat man would look like having a narrow face. The idea is to store as much video data as possible. A 16:9 TV would recognize that it is anarmorphic and would stretch the picture to its right aspect ratio.
Unfortunately there are a lot of DVDs which are 4:3 Letterbox, which means there are black borders not only above and below, but also on the left and right. You would need to zoom this to fill a 16:9 screen.

It seems that there is no HD release for this movie worldwide. Has there ever been a television broadcast in HD?

Greets,
Martin from Germany
Okay, pulled my copy (UPC: 783722274743) out. I am no expert in aspect ratios but on my widescreen TV, there are black bars on the top and bottom, but none on the sides. It doesn't look squeezed or anything, but as you're right and there is no info on the back of the case, I can't tell you for sure what the ratio is.

Hopefully that helps a bit at least!
Old 08-21-23, 11:39 AM
  #948  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 36,891
Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts
Re: 6th Annual Sci Fi/Fantasy Challenge

Fun to see these random bumps. Dvdtalk does have a purpose!
The following users liked this post:
shadokitty (08-21-23)

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.