Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

(More) Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck DVD's for 2010!!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

(More) Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck DVD's for 2010!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-10, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: (More) Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck DVD's for 2010!!

This is from Golden Age Cartoons forum -

Just officially announced: the next two "Super Stars" releases, due November 30.

The content list is according to WHV Direct as they presented it (which, as we know from last time, might change).

"Foghorn Leghorn & Friends: Barnyard Bigmouth"
1. All Fowled Up (Foghorn)
2. Fox Terrier (Foghorn
3. A Broken Leghorn (Foghorn)
4. Crockett Doodle Doo (Foghorn)
5. Weasel While You Work (Foghorn)
6. Weasel Stop (Foghorn
7. Little Boy Boo (Foghorn)
8. Banty Raids (Foghorn)
9. Strangled Eggs (Foghorn)
10. Gopher Broke (Goofy Gophers)
11. A Mutt In A Rut (Elmer Fudd)
12. Mouse-Placed Kitten (Misc)
13. Chese It The Cat (The Honey Mousers)
14. Two Crows From Tacos (Two Crows)
15. Crow’s Feet (Elmer Fudd)

"Tweety & Sylvester: Feline Fwenzy"
• TWEETY PIE
• BAD OL’ PUTTY TAT
• ALL A-BIRRRRD
• CANARY ROW
• PUDDY TAT TWOUBLE
• ROOM AND BIRD
• TWEETY’S S.O.S.
• TWEET TWEET TWEETY
• GIFT WRAPPED
• AIN’T SHE TWEET
• SNOW BUSINESS
• SATAN’S WAITIN
• THE LAST HUNGRY CAT
• BIRDS ANONYMOUS
• TWEETY AND THE BEANSTALK

Nothing on the ad sheet about aspect ratios, but Foggy has the "adult collector" disclaimer. There is also a promo blurb on the announcement saying, "Ideal for fans, collectors and impulse purchasers."
We were told that the Leghorn disc would NOT be double-dip, however, A Broken Leghorn was on the 1st Golden Collection.

Last edited by JHBulls; 08-26-10 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-26-10, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,425 Likes on 1,040 Posts

You know, I still didn't pick up two of the Golden Collections (4 and 6, haven't found them used yet), and I'm still on the fence about these.

When I sit here and think about it, I guess what I'm really wanting is something that replicates how I originally saw these: in a 60-90 minute chunk (not counting commercials) on a Saturday morning when I was a kid, and then even on Cartoon Network about ten years ago or so. They didn't just show all Bugs or all Daffy, or all Foghorn, they showed a mix of different characters. It was more like an iPod on shuffle, and how a lot of radio stations started mimicking that several years ago. People like variety, it helps keep things fresh, so you don't get burnt out by the same character over and over (esp since they tended to reuse the plots so much).

I guess if I ever get my HTPC put together, and can put these on a hard driver, I can kinda replicate that, but that's just one little thing kinda keeping me from really getting into LT anymore.
Old 08-27-10, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

I know exactly what you mean Milo, if I'm in the mood for some LT, I hate the fact that I basically have to choose a character/pair of characters to watch (I have GC 1 and 2) unless I feel like swapping discs.
Old 08-27-10, 04:27 PM

According to this image, these are all new to DVD. Is this true or is somebody full of it?
Old 08-27-10, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read the Foghorn ones are all brand new to DVD byt the Tweety ones are all double-dips.
Old 08-27-10, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by ericmylad

According to this image, these are all new to DVD. Is this true or is somebody full of it?
Here's the episode list according to Tvshowsondvd.com:

Looney Tunes Super Stars' Foghorn Leghorn & Friends: Barnyard Bigmouth:
All Fowled Up (Foghorn)
Fox Terrier (Foghorn)
A Broken Leghorn (Foghorn)
Crockett Doodle Doo (Foghorn)
Weasel While You Work (Foghorn)
Weasel Stop (Foghorn
Little Boy Boo (Foghorn)
Banty Raids (Foghorn)
Strangled Eggs (Foghorn)
Gopher Broke (Goofy Gophers)
A Mutt In A Rut (Elmer Fudd)
Mouse-Placed Kitten (Misc.)
Chese It The Cat (The Honey Mousers)
Two Crows From Tacos (Two Crows)
Crow's Feet (Elmer Fudd)

Looney Tunes Super Stars' Tweety & Sylvester: Feline Fwenzy:
TWEETY PIE
BAD OL' PUTTY TAT
ALL A-BIRRRRD
CANARY ROW
PUDDY TAT TWOUBLE
ROOM AND BIRD
TWEETY'S S.O.S.
TWEET TWEET TWEETY
GIFT WRAPPED
AIN'T SHE TWEET
SNOW BUSINESS
SATAN'S WAITIN
THE LAST HUNGRY CAT
BIRDS ANONYMOUS
TWEETY AND THE BEANSTALK

Taken from: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bug...#ixzz0xqsu9af6
Old 08-27-10, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by ericmylad

Look again. "According to this image" only the FL disc has 15 "never before on dvd cartoons" where as the T&S one just has 15 "favorites".
Old 08-27-10, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really wish they would have just stuck with the Golden Collection Releases. This is getting confusing, all of the original collections, then these character sets. It's more than a little frustrating. One day I'll get around to picking 'em all up, but until then it's just odd that they've changed the way they're releasing Looney Tunes on DVD.

EDIT: So are these Foghorn and Tweety/Sylvester Sets going to be the dreadful widescreen presentation we saw on the Bugs and Daffy Sets?

Last edited by kstublen; 08-28-10 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08-28-10, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,425 Likes on 1,040 Posts

I wish they had done something in between. The four disc sets were always at a price point I just couldn't jump on right away. A two disc release, with assorted characters on each disc would have been an easy buy for me.
Old 08-28-10, 10:18 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

What they should do is release all 24 discs from the Golden Collections as 24 individual discs, and then continue releasing more Golden Collections, with those new discs also being available individually too.
Old 08-28-10, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mdnitoil
Well, Jerry Beck said on Stu's show last week that the future of Looney Tunes was the Warner Archive, so you can kiss goodbye any idea of some future set fixing these. Unless of course expensive, burnt, single-layer discs is your idea of a fix.
Looney Tunes deserves better than that. It's disgusting that the people at Warner Bros. think so little of one of their most popular and historically significant franchises.
Old 08-29-10, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kstublen
Looney Tunes deserves better than that. It's disgusting that the people at Warner Bros. think so little of one of their most popular and historically significant franchises.
I totally agree. This is an atrocity. I just found out on the Foghorn DVD, there is a repeated episode on there and we already know about the T&S set. I wrote to WB yesterday and explained this all to them and hoping they'll see fit to completely change the way they're presenting this material to its loyal fans. No way am I double-dipping for these repeated episodes, especially on the T&S one. It makes no sense. they have cartoons in that vault they can use but it just seems like outright laziness to include them, but that's just my opinion. if they head to the MOD versions, I'm not buying!
Old 08-29-10, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rmw650
I totally agree. This is an atrocity. I just found out on the Foghorn DVD, there is a repeated episode on there and we already know about the T&S set. I wrote to WB yesterday and explained this all to them and hoping they'll see fit to completely change the way they're presenting this material to its loyal fans. No way am I double-dipping for these repeated episodes, especially on the T&S one. It makes no sense. they have cartoons in that vault they can use but it just seems like outright laziness to include them, but that's just my opinion. if they head to the MOD versions, I'm not buying!
Eh, one repeat episode on the Foghorn Set isn't that big of a deal to me personally.

But Looney Tunes definitely deserves better than the way they're handling the property now.
Old 08-29-10, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wonder if the Sylvester & Tweety is testing the market for recycling the Golden Collection material. I'm sure there's lots of people who want one or a few cartoons in particular, like What's Opera, Doc but refuses to buy the Golden or Spotlight Collection.
Old 08-29-10, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found the new releases at Wal Mart finally. I bought them, but $15 was too much for releases that aren't exactly what they should be. I usually am one that will skip a release if there are reported problems. Just couldn't do it with these in case sales hinged on us getting more.

And another thing I don't understand . . . I thought Jerry Beck was intimately involved with WB and Looney Tunes. Or is he just in some consultant role and doesn't actually work for WB. I guess I just don't understand how this could happen under his watchful eyes if he has any say in the matter.
Old 08-30-10, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kstublen
Eh, one repeat episode on the Foghorn Set isn't that big of a deal to me personally.

But Looney Tunes definitely deserves better than the way they're handling the property now.
That's fine and dandy and your opinion, but when WB says the Foghorn release are all brand new shorts and it's discovered that there's a repeat episode on there, to me, that's not telling the truth and a form of false advertising at their end. That's why I pinpointed this to their kids department and whomever is in charge of releasing these discs to get it right and just put a little effort into what they are releasing. Thankfully, they still have some time to rectify this mess with both titles. They're botching these sets bad!
Old 08-30-10, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MBoyd
I found the new releases at Wal Mart finally. I bought them, but $15 was too much for releases that aren't exactly what they should be. I usually am one that will skip a release if there are reported problems. Just couldn't do it with these in case sales hinged on us getting more.

And another thing I don't understand . . . I thought Jerry Beck was intimately involved with WB and Looney Tunes. Or is he just in some consultant role and doesn't actually work for WB. I guess I just don't understand how this could happen under his watchful eyes if he has any say in the matter.
From what I have heard about him, he's just a consultant on these projects and nothing more. But if he is correct in saying the WB is going the MOD/Archive Collection route with the future of Looney Tunes, I'm done buying. To me, that's nothing more than them half-assing the efforts of putting out a quality product for the mere sake of making a quick buck here.
Old 08-30-10, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone remember way back when in DVDs infancy when people were clamoring for LT on DVD? The big process was remastering them because they didn't want to throw out on an inferior product.

Now if they're just going to shove them off to the Warner Archive there is no chance we'll get restored prints. I'm sure a lot of these are in rough shape. Seems like they don't care either way.
Old 08-30-10, 06:39 PM
TRC

Beck said they were going to start remastering certain titles for Warner Archive including Looney Tunes shorts.
Old 08-30-10, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by TRC
Beck said they were going to start remastering certain titles for Warner Archive including Looney Tunes shorts.
This was my understanding as well. I'm less concerned about the quality of the content than I am about the quality of the physical product.
Old 09-05-10, 04:53 AM

What about this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...F8&n=130&s=dvd

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Bugs...3679922&sr=1-2

Disc 1:
* Elmer's Candid Camera (1940, Jones)
* Excerpt from "My Dream is Yours" (1949)
* A Wild Hare (1940, Avery)
* How Bugs Bunny Won the West TV special (1978)
* The Old Grey Hare (1944, Clampett)
* Bugs Bunny Wild World of Sports TV special (1989)
* Baseball Bugs (1946, Freleng)
* Carrotblanca (1995, McCarthy)
* Hair Raising Hare (1946, Jones)
* Hare and Loathing in Las Vegas (2003 [unreleased], Kopp/Shin)
* Haredevil Hare (1948, Jones)

Disc 2:
* 8 Ball Bunny (1950, Jones)
* Rabbit of Seville (1950, Jones)
* Ain't I A Stinker (2010 mini-documentary)
* Rabbit Fire (1951, Jones)
* Invasion of the Bunny Snatchers (1992, Ford/Lennon)
* Show Biz Bugs (1957, Freleng)
* Bugs Bunny's Bustin' Out All Over (1980, Jones/Monroe)
* Knighty Knight Bugs (1958, Freleng)
* The Carnival of the Animals (1976, Jones/Klynn)
* What's Opera Doc? (1957, Jones)

How many of these have been released on Golden Collections?

Last edited by jonboy71; 09-05-10 at 05:06 AM.
Old 09-05-10, 08:28 AM

Well, all the classic material is a repeat from the Golden collections with the new material being the TV stuff. That stuff is not a priority for me so I'll be giving this a pass.
Old 11-16-10, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MBoyd
I found the new releases at Wal Mart finally. I bought them, but $15 was too much for releases that aren't exactly what they should be.
I agree and was waiting for them to go below $10 before I got them.

Daffy Duck: Frustrated Fowl is currently $9.49 at Amazon, so I went ahead and bought that one (free Prime shipping makes it possible, otherwise I would have to pad the order to get over $25 for the free shipping).

Just waiting on the Bugs and Foghorn titles to follow suit.
Old 11-16-10, 08:52 PM

Daffy Duck: Frustrated Fowl is at Wal-marts everywhere for $8. Sadly, it looks very cheaply packaged. I have yet to see Bugs or Foghorn in store.
Old 11-16-10, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkRavenII
I have yet to see Bugs or Foghorn in store.
Foghorn doesn't come out for another 2 weeks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.