Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

(More) Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck DVD's for 2010!!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

(More) Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck DVD's for 2010!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-10, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: (More) Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck DVD's for 2010!!

Originally Posted by mdnitoil
Personally I'm fine with Warner pulling in some of these outliers into an actual collection. Besides the pain in the butt of having to accumulate all those movies, I'll likely never pull them out simply to watch one cartoon.
Agreed, and most likely we're getting an upgraded version. Were any restored or re-mastered before being placed on some other movie's dvd as an extra?

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Double plus yes to this. It's like a collection of a band's B-sides all in one place.
While searching for the 8 titles above, I also found another 9 (Bugs) from other movies that "are" already on the Golden Collection series. I wouldn't have minded a separate release for those 17 shorts in one collection (maybe even a few more, as I likely didn't find them all). That would've given us 17 Bugs replacements on the Golden Collection Volumes.
Old 03-17-10, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bug...er-Stars/13476

looks like they've been delayed until August! So much for April.

One of the reasons could be that they're changing (yet again) the contents.
Old 03-17-10, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Hopefully they will have time to throw Foghorn Leghorn into the mix.
Old 03-30-10, 04:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

More news on why it was delayed: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bug...VD-Plans/13534

Looks like there will also be two more releases in November consisting of Foghorn Leghorn and Porky Pig.
Old 08-10-10, 03:49 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

The post-1953 cartoons are matted at the top and bottom:

http://forums.goldenagecartoons.com/...ad.php?t=15157

Posted by Jughead Jones

Today I received my Looney Tunes Super Stars dvd's. I don't know whether or not this is news but all of the cartoons are presented in widescreen except for the following:

Bugs -

*Mutiny on the Bunny

*Bushy Hare

* Hare We Go

*Foxy by Proxy

* Hare Trimmed

Daffy -

*Tick Tock Tuckered

*Nasty Quacks

*Daffy Dilly

*Wise Quackers

*The Prize Pest
Old 08-10-10, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,411 Likes on 1,034 Posts

We've known for a while that a lot of animation was animated full-frame but intended to be matted for theatrical presentations. It's not really a surprise to see these like this. I've even used my zoom function on my WS set on broadcast versions of Looney Tunes stuff in the past to see what it looks like, and it's not too terrible. I'd like to see some more screengrabs before I pass final judgement on them.

Though I find it a bit aggravating that they'll go widescreen for this but not the first season of the Dini-Timm Justice League

Last edited by milo bloom; 08-10-10 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-10-10, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just grabbed mine. Haven't cracked them open yet but, let's face it, regardless of whether I like it or not, this is the only way I'm going to get them. With widescreen TV becoming the norm, Warner will use any excuse they can to present as many as they can 16x9. Just be glad they went full frame for the pre '53.
Old 08-10-10, 11:21 AM

I preordered these months ago on Amazon and just got an email saying they won't ship until end of the week/early next week. Guess their shipment got delayed. Oh well, after the long wait it took just to get these released in the 1st place, what's a few more days???
Old 08-10-10, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

It may have been late across the board as I couldn't find them at Target or Best Buy today.
Old 08-10-10, 03:09 PM

They're at neither place. So far they are only showing up at Walmarts and Sam's Clubs. I got them at Sam's for 13.88 each.
Old 08-10-10, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by ericmylad
I preordered these months ago on Amazon and just got an email saying they won't ship until end of the week/early next week. Guess their shipment got delayed. Oh well, after the long wait it took just to get these released in the 1st place, what's a few more days???
UPDATE: Just got shipping confirmation emails for both DVD's from Amazon. Must have gotten their stock in sooner than expected.
Old 08-11-10, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by ericmylad
UPDATE: Just got shipping confirmation emails for both DVD's from Amazon. Must have gotten their stock in sooner than expected.
It must've been some particular warehouse issue. Amazon shipped mine last Friday and it was one of the rate cases where I got something from Amazon the day before street date.
Old 08-11-10, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts

Haven't read through the whole thread, but are any of the shorts on these duplicates from the GCs?
Old 08-11-10, 07:40 PM

No dupes, all new. In November there will be a Foghorn Leghorn disc and a Tweety and Sylvester. The Foghorn will be all new, the Tweety will be all repeats.
Old 08-11-10, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Thanks. The Foghorn Leghorn news is awesome. My favorite outside Daffy and there is a dearth of Foghorn shorts on the GCs.
Old 08-11-10, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Actually, none of the official censored 11 are going to be included on either disc. There's certainly going to be some good stuff there, but nothing earth shattering. For reference the censored 11 are:

Hittin' the Trail for Hallelujah Land (1931, directed by Rudolf Ising)
Sunday Go to Meetin' Time (1936, rereleased as a Blue Ribbon in 1944, directed by Friz Freleng)
Clean Pastures (1937, directed by Friz Freleng)
Uncle Tom's Bungalow (1937, directed by Tex Avery)
Jungle Jitters (1938, directed by Friz Freleng)
The Isle of Pingo Pongo (1938, rereleased as a Blue Ribbon in 1944, directed by Tex Avery)
All This and Rabbit Stew (1941, directed by Tex Avery)
Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs (1943, directed by Robert Clampett)
Tin Pan Alley Cats (1943, directed by Robert Clampett)
Angel Puss (1944, directed by Chuck Jones)
Goldilocks and the Jivin' Bears (1944, rereleased as a Blue Ribbon in 1952, directed by Friz Freleng)
Hopefully Warner does like Disney. Disney released their censored animated ones with no edits.
Old 08-12-10, 12:24 PM

Actually, none of the official censored 11 are going to be included on either disc. There's certainly going to be some good stuff there, but nothing earth shattering. For reference the censored 11 are:

Hittin' the Trail for Hallelujah Land (1931, directed by Rudolf Ising)
Sunday Go to Meetin' Time (1936, rereleased as a Blue Ribbon in 1944, directed by Friz Freleng)
Clean Pastures (1937, directed by Friz Freleng)
Uncle Tom's Bungalow (1937, directed by Tex Avery)
Jungle Jitters (1938, directed by Friz Freleng)
The Isle of Pingo Pongo (1938, rereleased as a Blue Ribbon in 1944, directed by Tex Avery)
All This and Rabbit Stew (1941, directed by Tex Avery)
Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs (1943, directed by Robert Clampett)
Tin Pan Alley Cats (1943, directed by Robert Clampett)
Angel Puss (1944, directed by Chuck Jones)
Goldilocks and the Jivin' Bears (1944, rereleased as a Blue Ribbon in 1952, directed by Friz Freleng)
What they should do with these, actually, is release them ALL as one collection and those that could/would find them offensive could refrain from making the purchase. Don't see that happening, though.
Old 08-16-10, 06:49 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

http://www.thadkomorowski.com/?p=4263

Frustrating and Fowl

There has been a minor furor over the presentation of twenty Warner Bros. cartoons that were released this week on DVD for the first time, on the Looney Tunes Super Stars discs Bugs Bunny: Hare Extraordinaire and Daffy Duck: Frustrated Fowl. The ten cartoons released before 1954 that are included look absolutely gorgeous; among them are Frank Tashlin’s Nasty Quacks, easily one of the top ten cartoons ever made, and Hare Trimmed, which features some of the most beautiful Virgil Ross animation of Bugs Bunny ever done.

What’s soured people on the 1954 and onward cartoons is that they have been presented in “widescreen”. Warner Home Video has peddled the line: “they were matted in theaters, so this is how they were originally seen”. Others have said, “they were making them with widescreen in mind.” These statements are disingenuous at best, ignoring the fact that not all theaters that ran these cartoons matted them.

Matting was also used to cover up gaffs in the production in live-action. When you watch North By Northwest, an expensive MGM thriller, open-matte, you will often see boom-mikes and set-lights. It would have worked the same way for these cartoons; in the full-frame versions we’ve been seeing for years, we would be seeing codes at the bottom of the cels, held feet wouldn’t have been shot, etc. If Chuck Jones, Friz Freleng, and Bob McKimson were making these cartoons with widescreen in mind, they weren’t aware of it themselves.

Below are some screenshots, comparing the new releases with older ones.

Half of Elmer missing… just as Bob McKimson intended…

If that didn’t convince you that these presentations are an abomination, you’re hopeless. Let me add too that a great number of 1946-1953 Warner cartoons were reissued to theaters well into the late 1960s. And those were definitely matted at one time or another too. There was no art or method to this whatsoever. They only formatted the titles to work in widescreen because they needed to have all the copyright and credit information in the picture by law. Why does nobody seem to understand this?

It’s probably not worth getting riled up about. The cartoons were restored full-frame and will likely be presented as such in a future Looney Tunes box set. Most of the affected cartoons are those you probably won’t be watching again even if they were presented correctly. (How many times can you do the same dynamite jokes?) What is bothersome is the distortion of history that’s being done by people defending a move made by a bloated corporation to cater to Blu-Ray/plasma screen whores who stretch the picture on anything horizontally, whether it’s Citizen Kane or All in the Family.

In good conscience, I cannot recommend these DVDs to anyone, unless you’re desperate enough to immediately get the properly restored cartoons, which do look outstanding.

Old 08-16-10, 07:07 AM

Why does this sort of thing always seem to happen?
Old 08-16-10, 10:39 AM

Well, Jerry Beck said on Stu's show last week that the future of Looney Tunes was the Warner Archive, so you can kiss goodbye any idea of some future set fixing these. Unless of course expensive, burnt, single-layer discs is your idea of a fix.
Old 08-16-10, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm stil trying to figure out why WB is making the Tweety and Sylvester DVD coming out in November an all-repeat DVD. That makes no sense at all, while Foghorn will be all new episodes. WB still has time to clear up this mess. I can't find the Bugs or Daffy ones anywhere.
Old 08-16-10, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rmw650
I'm stil trying to figure out why WB is making the Tweety and Sylvester DVD coming out in November an all-repeat DVD. That makes no sense at all, while Foghorn will be all new episodes. WB still has time to clear up this mess. I can't find the Bugs or Daffy ones anywhere.
The only regret I'll have in not buying the "Tweety and Sylvester" is that it'll probably contain ONE unreleased short - the one where Tweety drinks Dr. Jeckyll's formula and turns into a giant Hyde Tweety. But I'll get over that, since "Tweety and Sylvester" are really just a one-trick pony (much like "Coyote & Roadrunner," although I get more laughs out of them). So I don't care.

As far as Foghorn...if they had released the new DVD with repeats, it would be a short disc, since they only released, like, 3.
Old 08-20-10, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
The only regret I'll have in not buying the "Tweety and Sylvester" is that it'll probably contain ONE unreleased short - the one where Tweety drinks Dr. Jeckyll's formula and turns into a giant Hyde Tweety. But I'll get over that, since "Tweety and Sylvester" are really just a one-trick pony (much like "Coyote & Roadrunner," although I get more laughs out of them). So I don't care.

As far as Foghorn...if they had released the new DVD with repeats, it would be a short disc, since they only released, like, 3.
I think that's the only good Tweety short. I like Sylvester in the non-Tweety shorts. And the RR cartoons are much more entertaining than T&S IMO.
Old 08-20-10, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by jgido759
what they should do with these, actually, is release them all as one collection and those that could/would find them offensive could refrain from making the purchase.
+1

Originally Posted by jgido759
don't see that happening, though.
+1
Old 08-21-10, 08:12 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

^ +2 x2

It's a shame they won't do that, think it would sell really well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.