Print Wikipost

"Official" DVDTalk Challenges Compendium

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-20, 02:08 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: "Official" DVDTalk Challenges Compendium

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Yeah, it's easy to host a challenge, if you frequent the forum. Which brings me to this: Does anyone want to take over the May MYOC this year? It is even easier to host than the others, but I just don't think I should host it, since I come by here so infrequently.
Would hate to see you go Dx. Just posting the thread in April is pretty much all you need to do, as there really isn’t any ‘scoring’ or ‘rules’ to work or after or during the Challenge.

But I’m on record as saying that they’ll always be a May MYOC, even if I have to start it. It’s awesome that you step in and offer to start them a lot shado, but I’m hopeful that we can get some new blood into starting them. Someone needs to keep these things humming when you, Chad, and the others are gone.
Old 02-18-20, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Would hate to see you go Dx. Just posting the thread in April is pretty much all you need to do, as there really isn’t any ‘scoring’ or ‘rules’ to work or after or during the Challenge.

But I’m on record as saying that they’ll always be a May MYOC, even if I have to start it. It’s awesome that you step in and offer to start them a lot shado, but I’m hopeful that we can get some new blood into starting them. Someone needs to keep these things humming when you, Chad, and the others are gone.
As I said, it's the easiest one to host. But I hosted 10 of them, and I'm just not sure I'm the right person to keep it going since weeks go by without me checking in here. I plan to participate, but I just don't know how often I'll check in to the forum (the new forum makes it a pain to upgrade lists, so that keeps me away also - The last one I did, I didn't even claim a list spot until the last day of the month, and I found a list I did for one last year that I never posted). I too, would like to see someone who hasn't hosted one before take over, but whoever wants it is welcome to it.
Old 02-19-20, 09:20 AM

Yeah, not happy that my old format for every list doesn’t work well with the new software. Most months I didn’t put too much effort into formatting my lists, but now I’m even less inclined to do so.
Old 02-19-20, 10:04 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Someone needs to keep these things humming when you, Chad, and the others are gone.
What did I miss? What's happening?? Where's everybody going?? Are they coming back??!!
Old 02-19-20, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Surfinhank
What did I miss? What's happening?? Where's everybody going?? Are they coming back??!!
No, no, I was just saying that all of us will leave eventually. Having 14 different people running the Challenges would seem preferable to having fewer.
Old 02-19-20, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Yeah, not happy that my old format for every list doesn’t work well with the new software. Most months I didn’t put too much effort into formatting my lists, but now I’m even less inclined to do so.
I put my ratings symbols back in the Romance challenge - but it's somewhat of a pain as the system wants to keep the last size/color you used. I bold dates but if I don't do it with "Source" it'll bold everything in between automatically - even if I start with a single bolded line. I really, really, really, do not like the "improved" editor at all. It seems to take twice as long to do things as before. Just one of the common complaints I have with all the web based GUI crap. It takes 5-20 steps to do what you once did in a couple.
Old 02-20-20, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We’re twinning again, I was just coming here to post that.

PMed Greg, but if he doesn’t respond in the next couple days how about you starting it Bob? It’s seriously only as much work as you make it. The prizeless Challenges here take the OP maybe 90 seconds of work for the entire month. Just cut and paste from the previous year, tweak the date, read the thread as you would normally for any input or tweaks, easy peasy.
Well... I was going to give Greg another couple of days before volunteering - but shadokitty got antsy... No matter.

If Dimension X wants out I'll do the MYO challenge. It's a favorite and somewhat a no-brainer.
The following 2 users liked this post by BobO'Link:
Dimension X (02-20-20), Trevor (02-20-20)
Old 04-15-20, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK... It's done... the 2020 May MYO challenge discussion thread has been started...
The following users liked this post:
Trevor (04-15-20)
Old 05-31-20, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

The way these challenge keep growing, it'll be the Jan 1st to Dec 31st Horror, Academy awards, make your own, romance, animation et. etc. Challenge"
Old 05-31-20, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkgod
The way these challenge keep growing, it'll be the Jan 1st to Dec 31st Horror, Academy awards, make your own, romance, animation et. etc. Challenge"
You’re free to participate or not participate in any challenges you want.
Old 05-31-20, 01:23 PM

Pretty sure we’ve been year round for about ten years now.
Old 06-01-20, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

There's rumbling that the Oscars might move for 2021 so there might be a challenge-free month next year (and two challenges in the same month depending on what happens).
Old 06-04-20, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
You’re free to participate or not participate in any challenges you want.
True. And I do, but when challenges bleed over into other challenges for no reason at all, it gets annoying. The way it started with challenges having months was nice. Now you can be doing 2 separate challenges in the same month.
Old 06-04-20, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pretty sure we’ve been year round for about ten years now.
Thats not what i meant. More along the lines of challenges bleeding into other challenges.
Trevor (08-11-20)
Old 06-05-20, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

True. And I do, but when challenges bleed over into other challenges for no reason at all, it gets annoying. The way it started with challenges having months was nice. Now you can be doing 2 separate challenges in the same month.
That doesn't happen that often and you can always ignore the overlap (I almost always do). Unless I'm missing one there's the Comedy which overlaps the Holiday due to Thanksgiving, the Academy Awards which can overlap TV or Action depending on just when the awards show is scheduled and will always overlap the Romance one added this year, and the Historical which overlaps the MYO due to backing up to include the Memorial Day weekend. IIRC most of those overlaps started only a few years back and were generally agreed upon by the participants.
davidh777 (06-05-20)
Old 06-05-20, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
That doesn't happen that often and you can always ignore the overlap (I almost always do). Unless I'm missing one there's the Comedy which overlaps the Holiday due to Thanksgiving, the Academy Awards which can overlap TV or Action depending on just when the awards show is scheduled and will always overlap the Romance one added this year, and the Historical which overlaps the MYO due to backing up to include the Memorial Day weekend. IIRC most of those overlaps started only a few years back and were generally agreed upon by the participants.
tv now starts in december
Old 06-15-20, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

Well the Oscars just got moved to April 25 which means the Oscar Challenge will run roughly March 27-April 25 (if we keep it at around 30 days). That means this challenge would overlap with the Drive-In/Cult Challenge.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-15-20, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by lisadoris
Well the Oscars just got moved to April 25 which means the Oscar Challenge will run roughly March 27-April 25 (if we keep it at around 30 days). That means this challenge would overlap with the Drive-In/Cult Challenge.

Any thoughts?
My thoughts are that they really are two drastically different challenges so would it be a big deal to over lap them? Are the same people, for the most part, going to be participating in both? The Drive-in/Cult challenge is one that I don't participate in, but I usually do the Oscar one for instance. I certainly could be wrong about people wanting to do both though! But even if we did cross over these two challenges, it's just this year (I hope so, at least) so would it really be a big deal for one year even if people have to split their attention between challenges?

Also, just wanted to add that I plan on hosting July and August as usual. Will be getting the Sci-Fi/Fantasy threads up fairly soon.
Old 06-15-20, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I usually do both but neither is one of my heavier challenges. Mostly I’d be affected in that I’d have fewer opportunities for double credit.

Music/musicals/romance was launched on a trial basis this year, but it has a better chance of sticking around if the runway is clear of Oscars.
Old 06-15-20, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I too do both, but wouldn’t mind any overlap. It gives me more things to watch.
Old 06-15-20, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't do the Academy Awards challenge as most of the nominees are movies I just don't care to watch or watch again. Won't affect me at all.
Old 06-15-20, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

We could consider swapping months. Do the Drive-in challenge in March.
Darkgod (06-19-20)
Old 08-02-20, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I intend to host the Criterion Challenge next month. Since the checklist is more or less automatic for that one and there isn't much to do in the way of pre-challenge discussion, I figured I'd wait until the 15th to start the threads. That's the day they'll announce the November wave. I can start earlier, though, if anyone is adamant about it.
The following 3 users liked this post by Travis McClain:
davidh777 (08-05-20), pacaway (08-04-20), Trevor (08-11-20)
Old 08-16-20, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There doesn't seem to have been a Criterion November announcement but I've gone ahead and created the Criterion Challenge list and discussion threads.
Old 09-07-20, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I floated an idea in the Criterion discussion thread, and wanted to cross-post it here. I've been wondering of late whether maybe it would be worth considering revamping that challenge as a wider Boutique Distributor Challenge. Because we accept content that has been selected to stream on the Criterion Channel, that's more or less what it has become by default now anyway. A lot of the Channel content has been licensed from distributors such as Arrow Video; Cohen Film Collection; Kino Lorber; Milestone/Oscilloscope; Scream/Shout Factory; and the defunct Twilight Time, as well as the Sony Selects and Warner Archive Collection MOD programs. (If we voted now, I'd be against including Sony and Warner carte blanche because those are large enough to exceed the intended smaller scope of the challenge.)

I bring this up because as much as I love the Criterion Challenge, participation is easily the lowest of all the challenges. Always has been, and is damn near barely alive by now. Some of that has to do with the community itself disintegrating, but the Horror Challenge is alive and well so our fellow forum members do still remember their login credentials. I feel like there are a lot of forum participants who collect and watch all kinds of content that's eligible for the challenge as it already stands, but abstain because their perception is that if it isn't Bergman, Fellini, or Kurosawa that they're shut out. I hate that, because you could also be watching and talking about Anna Biller, Jackie Chan, MGM Musicals, or movies with scores by Quincy Jones. None of those themes come across from the words "Criterion Challenge".

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.