Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Another STAR WARS TRILOGY DVD Release (11/04/2008)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Another STAR WARS TRILOGY DVD Release (11/04/2008)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-08, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Looking over this thread, it seems as though a lot of DVDTalk-ers here are upset with George Lucas. Why?
Old 08-26-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselsDen
Looking over this thread, it seems as though a lot of DVDTalk-ers here are upset with George Lucas. Why?
It's just an internent phenomenon... Lucas gets treated differently than others and most folks seem to have a strong love/hate relationship with the guy. Mock him for creating Jar-Jar but can't resist buying the limited edition Jar-Jar bobblehead doll, etc.

Ultimately, this is just a simple repackaging to get more exposure at retail during the holidays. Nothing more or less. And it's nothing that hasn't been done with a hundred other movies over the years.
Old 08-26-08, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bboisvert
It's just an internent phenomenon... Lucas gets treated differently than others and most folks seem to have a strong love/hate relationship with the guy. Mock him for creating Jar-Jar but can't resist buying the limited edition Jar-Jar bobblehead doll, etc.

Ultimately, this is just a simple repackaging to get more exposure at retail during the holidays. Nothing more or less. And it's nothing that hasn't been done with a hundred other movies over the years.

No one will ever buy a Jar-Jar bobblehead. Target practice maybe...
Old 08-26-08, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Because he DARED to give them 30+ years of entertainment! The bastard!
Old 08-26-08, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trevor
Really?

1977 theatrical
1997 theatrical with changes
original VHS with missing line
widescreen VHS
THX VHS
multiple laser disc releases with changes/THX
2004 DVD release of the SEs
2005 DVD re-release w/o bonus disc
2006 DVD release w/ "almost originals"
I only bought one set. Don't need any more than that. Don't need to complain about more being released either.

Have no idea why DVDtalkers feel like they're forced or compelled to buy every version out there. Then again, in DVDTalk-land, up is down, wrong is right. Don't believe me? Just check out the Politics section!
Old 08-26-08, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Like others I'm passing on this set for the same reasons - because it isn't much of an upgrade. I have seen threads showing disappointment when a movie is double dipped (or more) without significant upgrades, or people wanting classic featurettes. This coupled with the fact that this is Star Wars and the recent history behind it creates a frenzy.

I have let it go about being disappointed with a Star Wars release. It seems that over the years the story of how the films came to be has changed, so it wouldn't surprise me if any of the classic featurettes never see the light of day on some mega Star Wars set.
Old 08-27-08, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 08-27-08, 09:17 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
I only bought one set. Don't need any more than that. Don't need to complain about more being released either.

Have no idea why DVDtalkers feel like they're forced or compelled to buy every version out there. Then again, in DVDTalk-land, up is down, wrong is right. Don't believe me? Just check out the Politics section!
Just to clarify, I posted the list, but have only dipped twice (for the bonus discs each time).

I just posted the list to show that they have re-released them many times over the years with minor tweaks each time, "forcing" completists to pay for Lucas' planet or whatever he plans to buy someday.
Old 08-27-08, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,429 Likes on 1,043 Posts
I've brought it up before, but maybe not in this particular thread.

For me, it's an issue of respecting the material. I think the original theatrical versions brought so much to our world, and they should be given just a tad more respect, and for me that means 16x9 enhancement on DVD.

As he piles on the modifications, it becomes more and more important to make sure those original versions are still available for future generations to see (and he's even gone on record supporting film archiving groups, claiming future generations should be able to continue to see films from the past).
Old 08-27-08, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Al_Tahoe
His divorce took 12 years?
I'm sure there were a lot of terms to tinker with.

unmolested OT in HD or NOTHING!
Old 08-27-08, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 247 Posts
Originally Posted by milo bloom
I've brought it up before, but maybe not in this particular thread.

For me, it's an issue of respecting the material. I think the original theatrical versions brought so much to our world, and they should be given just a tad more respect, and for me that means 16x9 enhancement on DVD.

As he piles on the modifications, it becomes more and more important to make sure those original versions are still available for future generations to see (and he's even gone on record supporting film archiving groups, claiming future generations should be able to continue to see films from the past).
What also bothers me is that no one ever calls him on this. Most of the people I've seen interview Lucas are so giddy with the fact that they're talking to Lucas that they're afraid to challenge him about the contradictions between what he says about film (should be preserved, respected, seen in the best format possible, etc.) and what he's done with his own films.
Old 08-27-08, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,922 Posts
His divorce took 12 years?
I wonder which one filed first...
Old 08-27-08, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,429 Likes on 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by josh-da-man
i wonder which one filed first...
2.5/5
Old 08-27-08, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
WTF? Pass.
Old 08-27-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor

I just posted the list to show that they have re-released them many times over the years with minor tweaks each time, "forcing" completists to pay for Lucas' planet or whatever he plans to buy someday.
Not calling you out here but its just a general thing I've noticed in pretty much all the DVD forum thread about double dipping and such:

Lucas (and other studios/filmmakers) is not forcing people to be completists. It's the collector's choice. There is nothing that bothers me more than in some DVDtalk threads when someone complains about having to buy a double dip version. You don't have to buy it. It's your money and your choice to be a completist. Either accept the fact that you are a completist and buy the new version without bitching about it or sack up and stop buying the new versions. Why do these new versions come out? Because the studios know there are idiots that will buy the newest version no matter how many times they've dipped into the same cash machine.

I, for one, will pass on this set because I have the other one. I may jump on a 6 movie Blu Ray set when the time comes but I'll stay away from any Star Was double dip otherwise.
Old 08-27-08, 03:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by canaryfarmer

"whoah there partner, mind moving that right hand of yours?"

Old 08-27-08, 03:12 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts
Originally Posted by Goat3001
Not calling you out here but its just a general thing I've noticed in pretty much all the DVD forum thread about double dipping and such:

Lucas (and other studios/filmmakers) is not forcing people to be completists. It's the collector's choice. There is nothing that bothers me more than in some DVDtalk threads when someone complains about having to buy a double dip version. You don't have to buy it. It's your money and your choice to be a completist. Either accept the fact that you are a completist and buy the new version without bitching about it or sack up and stop buying the new versions. Why do these new versions come out? Because the studios know there are idiots that will buy the newest version no matter how many times they've dipped into the same cash machine.

I, for one, will pass on this set because I have the other one. I may jump on a 6 movie Blu Ray set when the time comes but I'll stay away from any Star Was double dip otherwise.
I agree. That's why I put quotes around forcing.
Old 08-27-08, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
"whoah there partner, mind moving that right hand of yours?"

Huh? His right hand is on the outside of Lucas' left leg.
Old 08-27-08, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

^Was thinking the same thing. Yeah, he's a fat lazy bastard milking all you infinity dippers and might look like santa, but he's not so fat you could only hold up one leg!
Old 08-27-08, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Huh? His right hand is on the outside of Lucas' left leg.
At first glance I too thought that his hand was on the inside of Lucas' leg...

After reading your post I had to do a double take
Old 08-27-08, 07:59 PM

Wow I just bought the last trilogy before this that came out a couple months ago, damnittttttttt
Old 08-27-08, 08:24 PM

Eh I might just buy the prequel trilogy so I can have all 6 episodes on DVD
Old 08-28-08, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
Now that is what I call a Special Edition!
Old 08-28-08, 12:37 PM

From www.starwars.com

Star Wars Saga Repacked in Trilogy Sets on DVD

August 28, 2008

Returning to store shelves on November 4th are the six episodes of the Star Wars saga on DVD bundled in convenient trilogy sets. Perfect for gift-giving as the holidays approach, the Prequel Trilogy set includes Episodes I-III, while the Star Wars Trilogy includes Episodes IV-VI.

Fans who already own the prequel trilogy double-disc releases (released from 2001-2005) and the Star Wars trilogy double-disc releases (released in 2006) already have all the content that's available in this set. There's nothing new in this set you don't already have. But for friends and family still looking to fill in these gaps in their DVD collections,these sets make it easy and affordable to complete the saga.

http://starwars.com/movies/saga/20080826news.html

Thread Killer.

Last edited by Twiggystar; 08-28-08 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-28-08, 03:56 PM

Is that the final sleeve art? I don't mean to sound like an anal retentive armchair cover designer but isn't it weird that the Star Wars logo is horizontal on the original trilogy spine and vertical on the prequel trilogy spine?

I'm not buying this set but this seems like yet another example of someone at LFL not paying attention.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.