Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Another STAR WARS TRILOGY DVD Release (11/04/2008)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Another STAR WARS TRILOGY DVD Release (11/04/2008)

Old 10-28-08, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by bboisvert View Post
Unless I'm forgotten something, there has never been a store-exclusive Star Wars bonus disc, so releasing ALL of them should be easy.
There's a "Story of Star Wars" bonus disc with Wally World that came with one of the prequels. Don't remember which one.
Old 10-28-08, 09:55 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by blued888 View Post
There's a "Story of Star Wars" bonus disc with Wally World that came with one of the prequels. Don't remember which one.
Someone page me?

The Wal-mart bonus disc came with Episode 3.

And as previously mentioned, the soundtrack CD for episode 3 came with a bonus DVD.

There was also a calendar released with a bonus DVD, The Art of Star Wars 2008.
Old 10-28-08, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Someone page me?

The Wal-mart bonus disc came with Episode 3.

And as previously mentioned, the soundtrack CD for episode 3 came with a bonus DVD.

There was also a calendar released with a bonus DVD, The Art of Star Wars 2008.
Didn't that Art of Star Wars DVD just end up being computer wallpapers? Or was that a different one?
Old 10-28-08, 10:46 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by joltman View Post
Didn't that Art of Star Wars DVD just end up being computer wallpapers? Or was that a different one?
Not positive, it is one of the few exclusives that I don't own yet.

But I'm pretty sure it had all 6 trailers as well.
Old 10-28-08, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, totally missed this the first time around, so just repackaging? How many double dips will we get before Lucas releases the definitive 6 film collection all in one box?
Old 10-28-08, 04:57 PM

At least 1 more.

Last edited by MR Round; 10-28-08 at 04:57 PM. Reason: spelling was wrong
Old 10-29-08, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
...it is one of the few exclusives that I don't own yet...
oh. my. god.
Old 10-29-08, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They had it at Target yesterday on the shelves. Looks like its 3 slim cases in a each box. Glad I dont need to double dip on these two releases.
Old 10-29-08, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I actually wouldn't mind getting them in slim cases. Not to mention that I would then have 2 boxes that go together, as opposed to now where I have the 3 prequels + the 3 LE originals and the bonus disc in the original 4-disc set.

Last edited by joltman; 10-29-08 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-29-08, 01:23 PM

The only thing that would make me buy the OT again is a running scene-specific cast audio commentary. Not edited together like all the other SW commentaries. I want to hear Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher in the same room, watching the movies and commenting on it. How cool would that be? I love to hear the cast making fun of Lucas and all his quirks ("Faster! More intense!").
Old 10-29-08, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have to wonder if there's anybody out there that doesn't have the OT yet that's picking this up and can let us know if the original versions received a secret upgrade to 16x9?

I'll gladly double dip for that.
Old 10-30-08, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

these looked like digipacks to me.
Old 10-30-08, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by moviemike View Post
The only thing that would make me buy the OT again is a running scene-specific cast audio commentary. Not edited together like all the other SW commentaries. I want to hear Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher in the same room, watching the movies and commenting on it. How cool would that be? I love to hear the cast making fun of Lucas and all his quirks ("Faster! More intense!").
I guess you won't be buying the OT again, because that sure isn't going to happen!
Old 10-30-08, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hindolio View Post
these looked like digipacks to me.
That could be possible. The case itself was about the thickness of 2 standard cases if that so its possible they have digi's in em. Either way... it still isnt worth the re-release.
Old 10-30-08, 02:12 PM

I saw the two relases at my local Target this morning also. They both have the 7MM slim cases. Looks like I'm passing altogether since I already have them all.
Old 10-30-08, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The last release was I think the first one that I didn't get (the cover art was terrible) and looks like I'm passing on these as well.
Old 11-01-08, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I look forward to a day when they release some monster set with some vintage specials and deleted scenes. I have more than a few dvd-rs but it would be nice to see it just out there.
Old 11-01-08, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

With the recent acquisition of a PS3, I'm not going to upgrade, now even moreso. Again, I have all the 2-Disc releases of each, plus the bonus disc that came in the box set. Until the entire set gets a release with the original unaltered trilogy given a better presentation (and preferably with high-def treatment ), I won't upgrade.
Old 11-08-08, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seriously, who isn't done buying Star Wars on this format? I got the first set of the original trilogy and the individual releases of the prequels. A friend of mine gave me copies of the original version discs that were released as special features, but we all know those aren't remastered or anamorphic..

Nonetheless, I'm done with this series until there's a Blu release, and then only if the original versions are included.
Old 11-09-08, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by lamphorn View Post
seriously, who isn't done buying star wars on this format? I got the first set of the original trilogy and the individual releases of the prequels. A friend of mine gave me copies of the original version discs that were released as special features, but we all know those aren't remastered or anamorphic..

Nonetheless, i'm done with this series until there's a blu release, and then only if the original versions are included.
+1
Old 11-16-08, 01:52 PM

Hey everyone. I don't have any copies of the trilogies yet. I was wondering if these 2008 releases have all of the features/new scenes that have been released so far? In other words, would there be any reason to buy any other releases instead of this one? (Considering that I don't have any desire for the original original versions).
Old 11-16-08, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SuperDayv View Post
Hey everyone. I don't have any copies of the trilogies yet. I was wondering if these 2008 releases have all of the features/new scenes that have been released so far? In other words, would there be any reason to buy any other releases instead of this one? (Considering that I don't have any desire for the original original versions).
Well, that's too bad, because these have the original original versions.

As a rule of thumb, you can pretty much always buy the latest Star Wars DVDs and count on them being the best release so far. So you might want to just wait and buy the version that comes out when you're on your deathbed. Because that one is going to be the best yet.
Old 11-16-08, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by evenswr View Post
Well, that's too bad, because these have the original original versions.

As a rule of thumb, you can pretty much always buy the latest Star Wars DVDs and count on them being the best release so far. So you might want to just wait and buy the version that comes out when you're on your deathbed. Because that one is going to be the best yet.
Actually, the better release is the first one, the 4 disc silver boxset. It's the special editions with commentaries and such, and the 4th disc contains trailers, featurettes and a 2.5 hour documentary on the making of the original trilogy.

This newest release of eps 4-6 has the special edition discs, then the three original version discs that are *not* 16x9 enhanced.

So, actually, this is a bad rule of thumb, and is even a carry over from the LD and VHS days of SW releases when newer versions lost extra features from the previous releases.
Old 11-16-08, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
Actually, the better release is the first one, the 4 disc silver boxset. It's the special editions with commentaries and such, and the 4th disc contains trailers, featurettes and a 2.5 hour documentary on the making of the original trilogy.

This newest release of eps 4-6 has the special edition discs, then the three original version discs that are *not* 16x9 enhanced.

So, actually, this is a bad rule of thumb, and is even a carry over from the LD and VHS days of SW releases when newer versions lost extra features from the previous releases.
OK, that's true: the 4th disc is gone. And the original originals are not 16x9 enhanced. But they never were. And they weren't included at all in the release you're saying is the best. Presumably enhanced versions will be in the boxset available for the fall 2010 DDD sale...and I will buy them.

So other than that 4th disc (which I should've mentioned, and which I enjoy), is there anything missing from the current set that wasn't in the previous versions? Are you saying that the new boxset lost the commentaries of the previous release?

I guess if I have to ask, I shouldn't have been so quick to answer the question in the first place...

Last edited by evenswr; 11-16-08 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-16-08, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by evenswr View Post
OK, that's true: the 4th disc is gone. And the original originals are not 16x9 enhanced. But they never were. And they weren't included at all in the release you're saying is the best. Presumably enhanced versions will be in the boxset available for the fall 2010 DDD sale...and I will buy them.
Where did you hear of this presumed 2010 set? We keep hearing rumor after rumor of mega sets and whatnot, and we haven't been getting that much.

Originally Posted by evenswr

So other than that 4th disc (which I should've mentioned, and which I enjoy), is there anything missing from the current set that wasn't in the previous versions? Are you saying that the new boxset lost the commentaries of the previous release?

I guess if I have to ask, I shouldn't have been so quick to answer the question in the first place...
The commentaries should still be there, but that 4th disc has quite a bit on it so I thought it worth mentioning as a substantial loss.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.