Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Another STAR WARS TRILOGY DVD Release (11/04/2008)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Another STAR WARS TRILOGY DVD Release (11/04/2008)

Old 11-16-08, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
Where did you hear of this presumed 2010 set? We keep hearing rumor after rumor of mega sets and whatnot, and we haven't been getting that much.
Geez, I'm sorry. That was a joke. I should've said 2020.
Old 11-16-08, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is it possible for someone to post some photos of what the insides of these latest Star Wars sets look like? It's just curiosity and not an actual buying decision.
Old 11-16-08, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Disc-Flipper View Post
Is it possible for someone to post some photos of what the insides of these latest Star Wars sets look like? It's just curiosity and not an actual buying decision.
I've been curious about this myself. I'd like to see what they look like.

Three year edit!

Last edited by Matt; 09-01-11 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-17-08, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by evenswr View Post
Geez, I'm sorry. That was a joke. I should've said 2020.
Sorry here too, my brain didn't shift gears fast enough to get what you meant.

Yeah, I still hold out hope 16x9 versions will appear someday, seems like someone close to George has got to have the cajones to go "really George? A 15 year old laserdisc transfer? Really?" Even Spielberg made his original cut of E.T. available in 16x9, you'd think George would take a lesson from one his BFF's.
Old 11-17-08, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I still hold out hope 16x9 versions will appear someday
Well, there's always this.

I just wish I knew how to get ahold of a copy.
Old 11-18-08, 12:04 PM

Actually, the better release is the first one, the 4 disc silver boxset. It's the special editions with commentaries and such, and the 4th disc contains trailers, featurettes and a 2.5 hour documentary on the making of the original trilogy.

This newest release of eps 4-6 has the special edition discs, then the three original version discs that are *not* 16x9 enhanced.

So, actually, this is a bad rule of thumb, and is even a carry over from the LD and VHS days of SW releases when newer versions lost extra features from the previous releases.
Can anyone give me a conclusive answer on this? Are the versions of the films on the 2008 release the same as the 2004 release? Do I get the same special features?

As for the prequels, I assume that the 2008 release is the one to get?

Also what is the 16x9 version?

Last edited by SuperDayv; 11-18-08 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-18-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SuperDayv View Post
Can anyone give me a conclusive answer on this? Are the versions of the films on the 2008 release the same as the 2004 release? Do I get the same special features?

As for the prequels, I assume that the 2008 release is the one to get?

Also what is the 16x9 version?
I'm guessing that you would prefer the silver box set for the original trilogy (IV, V, VI). It has more features, and doesn't contain the original originals in which you had expressed a lack of interest. The versions of the films are the same as this new boxset, and they are 16x9. With the silver box set, you get an additional disc of bonus features. This additional disc is not part of the new 2008 boxset.

The new 2008 prequel boxset (I, II, & III) has everything in it, 16x9, features, etc.
Old 11-18-08, 03:02 PM

I'm guessing that you would prefer the silver box set for the original trilogy (IV, V, VI). It has more features, and doesn't contain the original originals in which you had expressed a lack of interest. The versions of the films are the same as this new boxset, and they are 16x9. With the silver box set, you get an additional disc of bonus features. This additional disc is not part of the new 2008 boxset.

The new 2008 prequel boxset (I, II, & III) has everything in it, 16x9, features, etc.
Thanks for the info, but I'm a bit confused. You said that the versions of the film are the same, but that the 2004 release doesn't have the original originals (by that I meant the unaltered 1977 etc release), does that mean the 2008 release does?

Also to be sure, the 2008 release somes with two discs per movie, with the second one being full of special features right? So all of those are included in the 2004 release?

Thanks!

Edit:

My mistake, just looked at the contents again. So as far as the original trilogy goes, one disc contains the 2004 release version while the other contains the original 1977 version?

Last edited by SuperDayv; 11-18-08 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-18-08, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the info, but I'm a bit confused. You said that the versions of the film are the same, but that the 2004 release doesn't have the original originals (by that I meant the unaltered 1977 etc release), does that mean the 2008 release does?

Also to be sure, the 2008 release somes with two discs per movie, with the second one being full of special features right? So all of those are included in the 2004 release?

Thanks a bunch.
The 2008 boxset has two discs for each film: one is the 2004 version of the film, and one is the unaltered original. The second disc for each is not full of special features. Just the original version of the film, and not 16x9 enhanced.
Old 11-18-08, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe it'd make more sense to just tell you what I did, and I bet a lot of other people have, as well. It is a sad, tragic tale.

I bought the silver box set, with the extra (4th) disc with the documentaries, etc.

Then, each film in the original trilogy was released in "special editions," which included the disc I already had, plus a second disc with the original film, in non-anamorphic 4:3 widescreen. I also bought each of those, but spread out over several weeks. God damn it, Lucas, I finally bought Return of the Jedi again.

So anyway, each time I bought one of the newer special editions, I plugged it into my silver boxset and sold or otherwise got rid of the old disc. So now I have all of the discs that are currently in the 2008 boxset, but tucked into my silver boxset. I still also retain the 4th disc from the original silver boxset. Best of both worlds, better than the new boxset.

Since you said you didn't want the original originals, it seemed to me that you should get the silver boxset with the additional, fourth disc. Very straightforward decision.

Ooh, unless price is a big issue for you. I see that the new boxset is available online for somewhere around $35, and the old silver box is about $50. So that'd be about $15 for the fourth disc.

You can find out more details on the fourth disc here.

The real bonus content is on the fourth disc, and it's very nice indeed. Front and center is the making-of documentary: "The Empire of Dreams." At two and a half hours, this is a complete film in its own right. Produced and directed by Kevin Burns, who directed the outstanding making-of documentary for Cleopatra, "The Empire of Dreams" follows the making of the three films from beginning to end, using archival footage as well as a bevy of brand-new interviews (from more than 40 participants) to create a detailed picture of the epic story that went on behind the scenes as well as in front of it. Burns was given a mandate by George Lucas to do a truly honest, warts-and-all portrayal, and the result is a fascinating piece that will be a delight to both die-hard fans and relatively casual viewers.
The "Empire of Dreams" documentary makes it a worthwhile purchase, I expect. In fact, I gotta go watch that one again. Oh, and the fourth disc also has trailers and additional docs that are cool, too.

So, to clarify: 2008 boxset: NO "Empire of Dreams," no trailers, etc.

Last edited by evenswr; 11-18-08 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-18-08, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

2004:
Original trilogy box set, 1 disc per film + 1 disc of special features.

2006:
Individual 2-disc releases for each film, the same 1 disc per film as above + 1 disc with the unaltered version

2008:
Box set featuring the same contents as the three 2-disc sets from 2006.

As for the prequels, they each had an individual release, and the 2008 box set has the same content as the three individual releases.

Hope this helps
Old 11-18-08, 03:40 PM

Maybe it'd make more sense to just tell you what I did, and I bet a lot of other people have, as well. It is a sad, tragic tale.

I bought the silver box set, with the extra (4th) disc with the documentaries, etc.

Then, each film in the original trilogy was released in "special editions," which included the disc I already had, plus a second disc with the original film, in non-anamorphic 4:3 widescreen. I also bought each of those, but spread out over several weeks.

So anyway, each time I bought one of the newer special editions, I plugged it into my silver boxset and sold or otherwise got rid of the old disc. So now I have all of the discs that are currently in the 2008 boxset, but tucked into my silver boxset. I still also retain the 4th disc from the original silver boxset. Best of both worlds, better than the new boxset.

Since you said you didn't want the original originals, it seemed to me that you should get the silver boxset with the additional, fourth disc. Very straightforward decision.

Ooh, unless price is a big issue for you. I see that the new boxset is available online for somewhere around $35, and the old silver box is about $50. So that'd be about $15 for the fourth disc.

You can find out more details on the fourth disc here.

The "Empire of Dreams" documentary makes it a worthwhile purchase, I expect. In fact, I gotta go watch that one again. Oh, and the fourth disc also has trailers and additional docs that are cool, too.

So, to clarify: 2008 boxset: NO "Empire of Dreams," no trailers, etc.
I did this as well. Except I had bought the Best Buy Tin. I just switched out the silvers and put them in the tin and put the gold spines (2006) and put them in the 2004 silver box. 6 discs (special editions and unaltered versions), bonus Empire of Dreams disc, silver box. I am set.
Old 11-18-08, 03:42 PM

Thanks evenswr and joltman, got it now.
I can see why people on this thread are so irked with Lucas!
Old 11-18-08, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks evenswr and joltman, got it now.
I can see why people on this thread are so irked with Lucas!
Yeah, it's pretty confusing, though I would have done the same thing evenswr did when the original versions were announced, but I'm not buying anymore non-16x9 DVDs. I would have bought this release if he had upgraded the originals and found someone to take the other discs off my hands.