Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Another STAR WARS TRILOGY DVD Release (11/04/2008)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Another STAR WARS TRILOGY DVD Release (11/04/2008)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-08, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
I wish, but I don't believe this. There be something new. It may be very minor, like a new poster gallery, or tweaked EE, but there will be something exclusive to this set besides the box.
I can believe that there will be nothing new, aside from packaging.

Again, I've got Episodes 1-3, I have the 2-Disc releases of 4-6 with the original versions, and I have the bonus disc from the box set. There's no reason for me to double dip.
Old 08-25-08, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Glad I can safely pass on this. I'll wait for the you-know-it's-coming mega set sometime down the road.
Old 08-25-08, 01:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I'm surprised that this is even getting discussed. Must just be a Lucas thing.

DVD's are getting re-released all the time with no more then packaging changes to try and entice NEW buyers. But only for Star Wars does it get a thread to discuss it.
Old 08-25-08, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
I don't think it was up to FOX.
That was my point. Heck, I even read rumors years ago that a 97 DVD release of the SE's was actually in the works at one point, but got canned for some reason.

If you really want to get philosophical, I've often wondered if releasing them back in 97, even with minimal extras, would have staved off some of the online negativity towards Lucas. Jar Jar and the midi-chlorians certainly would have done enough on their own, but on top of no DVDs in sight, and Greedo shooting first still fresh in their minds, it was looking throwing kerosene on a grease fire.

Maybe a reason why even later the theatricals were only "bonus discs", and not actual releases?
That's still no excuse to half-ass them and not make them anamorphic. There's plenty of extras that are 16x9 enhanced.
Old 08-25-08, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bsmith

DVD's are getting re-released all the time with no more then packaging changes to try and entice NEW buyers. But only for Star Wars does it get a thread to discuss it.

Basically because there's such a wealth of supplements out there, that in this case, to keep refusing to release any of them, doing just re-packagings, starts to border on mentall illness on the part of LFL.
Old 08-25-08, 01:22 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by milo bloom
That's still no excuse to half-ass them and not make them anamorphic. There's plenty of extras that are 16x9 enhanced.
Except the huge reason of $$$. Why do it right the first time when we idiots will buy it multiple times?
Old 08-25-08, 02:00 PM

Basically because there's such a wealth of supplements out there, that in this case, to keep refusing to release any of them, doing just re-packagings, starts to border on mentall illness on the part of LFL.
Again, it happens all the time. There is always more supplemental information that can be dug up on practically any movie. Re-releases happen all the time this way. My guess is that Lucas is too busy with his other projects right now. This is no different then say Cameron with the Abyss and True Lies, which have received a lot less attention then what Luicas has provided to his Star Wars movies.

You act like it is personal. I seriously doubt this release was to stimulate people rebuying the movies but was just a blip in normal operating procedure for these production companies. Believe me when new material will be released they will let everyone know and it will be every where. But repackaging like this is common place and will continue to happen for these and other releases going forward and should just be ignored if you already have your sets.
Old 08-25-08, 02:05 PM

Maybe because he just wants to make sure they are not considered the definitive versions of the movies. If not by content then by quality. It's really his choice and there is nothing you can do about it.
Old 08-25-08, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish, but I don't believe this. There be something new. It may be very minor, like a new poster gallery, or tweaked EE, but there will be something exclusive to this set besides the box.
Fox confirmed with them (digital bits) that there is no new material. They just boxed the previous releases.
Old 08-25-08, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by hasslein
Fox confirmed with them (digital bits) that there is no new material. They just boxed the previous releases.
I really hope this ends up being true. But if I had to bet I'll still go with some other minor change besides packaging, and also maybe a store exclusive.

I'm normally optimistic, but not when it comes to SW releases.
Old 08-25-08, 02:18 PM

I really hope this ends up being true. But if I had to bet I'll still go with some other minor change besides packaging, and also maybe a store exclusive.

I'm normally optimistic, but not when it comes to SW releases.
Just curious, why do you think there has to be something new other then repackaging?
Old 08-25-08, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is f'in ridiculous. I am making it a point to buy any Lucas product used. I do not see a point in giving this idiot anymore of my money.

Why would someone who knows how to master a DVD put the original films on the LE DVDs in NON-ANAMORPHIC?!?!?!?!??!!??!?!?!?!?!?

We ALL know the answer to that question.

Unfortunately I found out about this the hard way.
Old 08-25-08, 02:49 PM

Just curious, why do you think there has to be something new other then repackaging?
Really?

1977 theatrical
1997 theatrical with changes
original VHS with missing line
widescreen VHS
THX VHS
multiple laser disc releases with changes/THX
2004 DVD release of the SEs
2005 DVD re-release w/o bonus disc
2006 DVD release w/ "almost originals"
Old 08-25-08, 03:02 PM

Really?

1977 theatrical
1997 theatrical with changes
original VHS with missing line
widescreen VHS
THX VHS
multiple laser disc releases with changes/THX
2004 DVD release of the SEs
2005 DVD re-release w/o bonus disc
2006 DVD release w/ "almost originals"
Hey...I never said there weren't ever releases with changes but what I am saying is that DVDs get re-released all the time with no change other then repackaging (no content changes). It is a common practice, so why shouldn't it also be so with Star Wars.

Not to long ago I picked up the Harryhausen Sinbad series in a box set. Guess what...all it contained were the same three originally released DVDs in their original cases. I bought it because I only had the first and it was cheaper as a set then buying the other two as individual. There are many other examples of disks being releases in box sets or new an improved looking box sets with no other changes. It happens. But I guess if Lucas does it, it must be different some how.
Old 08-25-08, 03:16 PM

Do you really need an answer to this? The Star Wars series are probably the most beloved and controversial film series ever. A new dvd release whether or not it has new features or not will spark enough discussion to warrant it's own thread.
Old 08-25-08, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will buy it if it is in Blu-Ray...if not, forget it!
Old 08-25-08, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Elpresidentepez
Do you really need an answer to this? The Star Wars series are probably the most beloved and controversial film series ever. A new dvd release whether or not it has new features or not will spark enough discussion to warrant it's own thread.
Personally, I find Bladerunner much more controversial and while I grew up with Star Wars and have enjoyed it over the years I think the discussion it gets is overrated.

I've said my piece from a curiosity stand point so I'll bail out now and let you all continue to discuss why the repackaging of this series is considered heresy without Lucas adding new content to what already seems to me to be an abundance of extra's already included.

While I can see people clammering for an anamorphic release of the original films it does not appear to be coming anytime soon and without getting the same cleanup treatment as the new releases I wouldn't be interested anyways.

Carry on....
Old 08-25-08, 04:16 PM
Cool New Member

Why all the Star Wars dvds , and no Howard the Duck Special Edition?Give that movie 2 discs.For shame Mr. Lucas.
Old 08-25-08, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,206 Likes on 2,069 Posts
Originally Posted by Jumpman
There was some talk that one of the main reason why he did special editions of the original trilogy was because of how much Marcia Lucas would get if he continued to re-release the films in their theatrical state, as well.
Wait a second. Let's back up. You mean to tell me Lucas DIDN'T rape my childhood? His ex-wife did?! That Bitch!!
Old 08-25-08, 06:58 PM

I'm starting to wonder if it's not a coincidence that Robot Chicken: Star Wars Episode 2 will debut on Cartoon Network around the same time, on November 16th..?
Old 08-25-08, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by PrometheusUFO
I'm starting to wonder if it's not a coincidence that Robot Chicken: Star Wars Episode 2 will debut on Cartoon Network around the same time, on November 16th..?
Wow, i didn't know Robot Chicken was doing a sequel, I'm pretty sure Family Guy is also.
Old 08-25-08, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Robot Chicken special was brilliant.

If there's a second one I am so there.
Old 08-26-08, 03:01 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Even if there were some extra's not shown, I don't think it's worth while triple dipping. With all footage out there, I'm surprised Lucas hasn't put more into the DVDs
Old 08-26-08, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've said my piece from a curiosity stand point so I'll bail out now and let you all continue to discuss why the repackaging of this series is considered heresy without Lucas adding new content to what already seems to me to be an abundance of extra's already included.

Okay, I told myself I was done with this thread, but I have to comment on this. The original 4 disc set was released, I believe, fall of 2004. And even at that time, most of the online reviews said what extras were there were nice, but the whole thing still felt like a DVD release from 2001 or so.

Aside from that, there are also already-produced supplemental materials from the VHS and LD releases over the years that I would bet many folks have never seen, or if they have, would like to see archived on DVD (like myself).

So for me at least, it's twofold: the first release wasn't really all that great, and then there's the missed opportunities to get the other supplemental materials out there.
Old 08-26-08, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The next time Lucas gets a cent of my money is when Episode I-VI are on BR and in a deathstar-shaped package.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.