DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

New "Friday the 13th" Box Set in the Works?

Old 08-13-08, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
lol @ Paramount. The new extras are probably 5 minute previews of the remake.
Not likely since they're not the ones putting out the new one.
Old 08-13-08, 08:05 PM

Paramount is one of the studios putting out the remake.
Old 08-13-08, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
No BD = No Buy

No BD = Yes Buy
Old 08-13-08, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mountain Biker
No BD = Yes Buy
If this comes out on Blu-Ray I refuse to by buy the DVD OR BR versions.
Old 08-13-08, 11:05 PM

Except his comment was merely "no bd = no buy" which is a comment that without a BD version he isn't interested. Neither am I. Nowhere in there is he coming off as superior.

Last edited by mayorofsmpleton; 08-15-08 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-13-08, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nothingfails
see, this is what I meant when I said BD owners love to threadcrap and flaunt their aura of superiority over those of us who still buy standard. Thanks for proving my point.
It is? Why would I rebuy it again in DVD when I already owned the previous combo DVDs (Part 1 and II as a flipper) and then again in the boxset (not to mention all of them on VHS at one point)? Whats the point, for probably an extra 15 minute featurette and a 5 minute preview of the new remake? Its very simple...if they won't release it in BD, I won't buy it again for the third time on a disc format. I'm sure many other people feel exactly the way. Don't believe me? Look in this very thread.

See If I wanted to feel superior to you, I would make fun that you are still buying movies encoded in 480p and have never enjoyed the power of lossless audio. See that would be making fun of you and claiming my superiority over you. But I'm not. I'm simply stating I will not rebuy yet another version of F13th that will probably look and sound exactly like the past DVD releases.
Old 08-13-08, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No BD = Yes Buy
And since you don't own a Blu-ray player you have no other choice but not to buy the BD version.
Old 08-13-08, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nothingfails
to me BD is like SACD/DVD-Audio, for people who have $3000 stereos, that is needed over typical CD. While for the average person, CD's suffice, or even mp3's. I think the same goes with DVD vs. Blu. If you're a hardcore fan of $150 million budget action flicks and have a large screen, BluRay suffices, if you aren't a big fan of that genre, and you don't necessarily have a large tv, regular DVD is just fine.

How much better can Friday The 13th movies look on Blu? I can see maybe Jason X, since that was more action-oriented and had a much larger budget. But the original Friday cost less than $1 million to make and is nearly 30 years old. It's not necessarily The Empire Strikes Back or Alien in terms of a movie shot in 1979.
Out of curiosity, what kind of TV do you own? How about receiver?

BD will look great on a cheap $600 32" HDTV and even coupling that with a $300 HTIB will give you delicious picture and audio. I'm assuming most people who already own DVDs have a HDTV and some sort of 5.1 setup already. Couple that with a $300 BD player (or $400 PS3 that decodes all HD audio) and boom, your golden. Will it look as good as someone who spent $10k on an HT system? No, but it will look miles better then typical the typical DVD.

As far as "how much better could it look", then clearly you have not seen Casablanca HD DVD, Forbidden Planet HD DVD, Day of the Dead Blu-ray or any other "old" film that looks amazing in HD. Just because you don't think they can look any better does not mean its true.

I won't turn this into a DVD vs. BD debate, but you need to understand for many (including myself) we do not buy DVD anymore except for an odd indie release that is not likely to get the BD treatment. F13 appeals to the current BD demographic so its off not to see it come out. Anchor Bay and numerous other "horror" studios are releasing tons on BD this year including Texas Chainsaw Massacare and other unique horror films. F13 is one the best horror series available and not to see it is very upsetting.
Old 08-13-08, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I won't turn this into a DVD vs. BD debate, but you need to understand for many (including myself) we do not buy DVD anymore except for an odd indie release that is not likely to get the BD treatment.
That's all well and good, but people (not just you) don't need to post "no Blu-ray=no sale" in every new DVD announcement thread. It's not particularly helpful, and adds nothing to the discussion.
Old 08-13-08, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by NoirFan
That's all well and good, but people (not just you) don't need to post "no Blu-ray=no sale" in every new DVD announcement thread. It's not particularly helpful, and adds nothing to the discussion.
I rarely visit the DVD forum anymore simply for that reason. If someone even mentions Blu-ray they suddenly get attacked.

But then again they could simply ignore the "No BD = No Sale" posts, but instead choose to attack them.
Old 08-14-08, 12:38 AM

And since you don't own a Blu-ray player you have no other choice but not to buy the BD version.
I don't? So what disc format does my PS3 play? Please enlighten me.
Old 08-14-08, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't? So what disc format does my PS3 play? Please enlighten me.
Then why are you complaining? You can buy the DVD or BD, whats the problem? Some of us prefer to pay extra for the HD version, something you obviously want no part of.
Old 08-14-08, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
New Line and Paramount are co-producing so that there wouldn't be a legal dispute involving the title and characters.
Ah. I didn't realize that. Then I sincerely hope they don't include some featurette on the new film as a major bonus feature. These will sell well if they do them right, I just can't trust Paramount to do that until I get a full spec sheet.

Also, why don't you guys give this whole BD/SD argument a rest. We are all excited that Paramount is giving us some new SE's of these films, so who cares what format someone wants to buy them on. Personally, I don't see how F13th is going to look that much better on BR than it would upconverted in SD on an HDTV, but some people are convinced it will. That's fine. F13th will never "pop" on BR like most newer titles, but if people are convinced (mentally or otherwise) that it's that much better then I say go for it. I can fully understand someone having bought these films 2 times before not wanting to upgrade yet again if it's not on a new format.

Last edited by islandclaws; 08-14-08 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-14-08, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This has kind of turned into a DVD vs. Blu-ray thread. Neither format is bad nor do I think people responding saying they will wait for a BD version and won't buy the re-release constitutes as threadcrapping. Restoration is very important and the BD format is the best format for that. On the other hand though, upconversion looks great. If you don't own the first Box Set of F13 Paramount released; this is your chance. If you do own the previous release; holding out for the BD release might be your best bet.
Old 08-14-08, 12:24 PM

IV won't be included? I honestly don't know how to feel about that. Let's ask the computer . . . . . Yep, it's a dead one, alright.
Old 08-14-08, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I won't turn this into a DVD vs. BD debate
Umm...too late?
Old 08-14-08, 01:42 PM

I rarely visit the DVD forum anymore simply for that reason. If someone even mentions Blu-ray they suddenly get attacked.

But then again they could simply ignore the "No BD = No Sale" posts, but instead choose to attack them.
Yeah but I think it's safe to say that no one really cares if you are going to buy it or not. If I wrote "I'm not going to buy this" in ever thread that came around, well, I would have one hell of a post count.
Old 08-14-08, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheDuke
Yeah but I think it's safe to say that no one really cares if you are going to buy it or not. If I wrote "I'm not going to buy this" in ever thread that came around, well, I would have one hell of a post count.
You might not, but Paramount does. And believe me, there are plenty of people working for studios who's job it is to scour the internet for feedback.
Old 08-14-08, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Ah. I didn't realize that. Then I sincerely hope they don't include some featurette on the new film as a major bonus feature. These will sell well if they do them right, I just can't trust Paramount to do that until I get a full spec sheet.
A major bonus; no, but I fully expect them to throw something F13 Remake inside to make the disc sell. A free movie ticket, preview DVD etc. I can't imagine Paramount have any more bonus materials for any of the F13s anymore besides obviously releasing these uncut but its been years now and they still refuse to do that.

My guess says its the movies, individually, with slip cover, a free ticket to the new film, 5 minute preview of the new film, and maybe something like a retrospective or even snippets from that Best Buy exclusive disc that was given away with the F13 set years ago.

I'd kill for them uncut, hell I'd even buy the DVDs of them uncut if no BD was made available, but I can't see Paramount ever releasing them in that form
Old 08-14-08, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The reports that started this thread all suggested that it would be an extensive upgrade, so I am thinking we'll get unrated cuts, remasters, new featurettes and the whole shebang.
Old 08-14-08, 03:54 PM

Then why are you complaining? You can buy the DVD or BD, whats the problem? Some of us prefer to pay extra for the HD version, something you obviously want no part of.

What's the problem? You tell me pal. You're the one who made the blind remark about me not owning a BD player (when I do in fact own a PS3) and having no choice but not to buy the BD. And for what? Because I replied to your No BD = No Sale, with No BD = Yes Sale??? You stated your position, I stated mine. Why you felt the need to get all defensive is what I can't figure out. Chill.
Old 08-14-08, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
The reports that started this thread all suggested that it would be an extensive upgrade, so I am thinking we'll get unrated cuts, remasters, new featurettes and the whole shebang.
I hope so. Then I'll bite the bullet and finally invest in these.
Old 08-15-08, 08:47 AM

You might not, but Paramount does. And believe me, there are plenty of people working for studios who's job it is to scour the internet for feedback.
BINGO!
That's why I like to make comments as such.

I'd only pick these releases up on SD again if they have the uncut versions.

I've owned them on VHS, DVD individually, and AGAIN in the boxset. Unless they get unrated cuts with the footage RESTORED (not as a feature) I'm not going to buy these again. Sorry Paramount.
Old 08-21-08, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From Bloody-Disgusting:
Yesterday Bloody-Disgusting was interviewed for a brand new Friday the 13th documentary entitled HIS NAME WAS JASON, which is slated to premiere on Starz! in February of 2009 (a week before the release of Platinum Dunes' remake) before hitting DVD soon thereafter from Anchor Bay Entertainment. The doc is being directed by Dan Ferrands, the editor and co-publisher of the incredible FRIDAY interview book, "Crystal Lake Memories" and two AMITYVILLE HORROR documentaries. The documentary will be the definitive retrospective on the FRIDAY THE 13TH series and cover everything from the franchise, even talk about the forthcoming remake. Brought to you by MasiMedia Production, the film is being produced by Blake Reigle, Anthony Masi and Thommy Hutson. Watch this spot for more details and an official release as it comes in.

Last edited by NoirFan; 08-21-08 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-21-08, 10:22 PM

Cool!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.