DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

New "Friday the 13th" Box Set in the Works?

Old 08-12-08, 10:17 AM

I'm surprised how many people don't get that even blu ray (1080 lines of res) doesn't match the resolution of a 35mm film print (4k+ lines of res), thus by doubling the definition of a SD transfer (480 lines of res) it can improve video quality greatly, regardless of era. Watch THE SHINING on BD and tell me it doesn't look that much better than the SD re-release. That film looks amazing. The Friday films would and can look great on BD, as can any film from any era. Anyone who has seen a 480p DVD release blown up for a theatrical showing know there is no contest when you compare that image to a genuine film print w/ 4k+ lines of resolution. The point? BD offers a major improvement over SD in terms of resolution and isn't even the best it can get.

Heck, you yourself even said you'd get BUFFY if remastered in high def, 2 seasons of which were filmed 16mm. Genre shouldn't factor into BD releases. Not just 'eye candy' looks good. My copy of JUNO looks wonderful. Sometimes more detail is just more pleasing to the eyes, regardless of the genre.
Old 08-12-08, 10:21 AM

Comments implying that certain films are undeserving of BD releases echo similar comments about certain films not as deserving of widescreen transfers as big budget acyion films from the early days of dvd.
Old 08-12-08, 03:28 PM

from fridaythe13thfilms.com:

The rumor a few days ago of a new boxset from Paramount is indeed true. Iím allowed to share some early news from a trusted source:

The studio will only be re-issuing the first three films to tie in with the new movieĖ

ĖThere will, however, be new extras.

No word on any uncut or 3-D versions of the films.

Also, there is no Blu-ray release planned as of now.

Personally, I think itís the best way to go. Anything more than 3 movies at once would likely result in less time and care taken in creating extras. Itís conceivable they could do further chunks of entries down the line.
Old 08-12-08, 03:32 PM

My comments: I agree the less films the better because it will give Paramount time to work on them, but it should have been 1-4. They all fit together, and would make a cleaner break for a later release of 5-8 if they wanted to do another set. I don't know what additional material they would have for 1-3, seems they were low on material the first time they bothered to look for anything.
Old 08-12-08, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Boo! The fourth is the best!
Old 08-12-08, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll settle on 2 and 3, but really, the fourth, sixth, and seventh are the definitive Jason movies IMO.
Old 08-12-08, 05:06 PM

Kind of a let down really. These new extras better be something else!.

1-4 are the best!
Old 08-12-08, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

if they added 4, I'd be more excited. But I suppose they know that one would sell the second set.

Although, considering there are 8 Paramount movies, wouldn't a 1-4 and 5-8 set suffice, or do they know 5-8 wouldn't sell nearly as well so they'd hold 4 over to boost sales for it?
Old 08-12-08, 07:20 PM

Ah, well this is good. I can buy the boxed set at the horror movie convention I am going to this weekend without feeling guilty
Old 08-12-08, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheDuke
Ah, well this is good. I can buy the boxed set at the horror movie convention I am going to this weekend without feeling guilty
Louisville? I am going to that one too
Old 08-12-08, 08:14 PM

Nope, the one I'm going to is in Adelphi, MD.
Old 08-12-08, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by FILMCZY
I agree. Were all these films released "uncut" in Europe? How many films in this series have already been released uncut on dvd in other regions? Has there ever been any official confirmation that Paramount still has uncut prints available with decent elements? According to the IMDb, Warner Brothers released the original "Friday the 13th" in the UK, Germany, Brazil. Does Warner Brothers have an uncut print and if so does Paramount own the rights to it here in the USA? I just feel there are too many rights issues to think Paramount would appease their fan base with uncut prints of these movies. Fans can wetdream all they want but I'm afraid Paramount is going to come up dry on this one...
Don't quote me on this FILMCZY, but I think that the first one is the only Paramount produced Friday movie to be released uncut (in Europe) by Warner Brothers, as you have already said.

Now, whether or not Paramount has the uncut and deleted/alternate scenes is a guess. Perhaps they're lying around in the vault somewhere. Just thinking about the alternate endings from Part 2 and 3 kinda make me want to travel to Paramount's vaults and start looking myself.
Old 08-12-08, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tellybox
Just thinking about the alternate endings from Part 2 and 3 kinda make me want to travel to Paramount's vaults and start looking myself.
I know about the alternate ending for part 3 but what was the ending for part 2?
Old 08-13-08, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nothingfails
if they added 4, I'd be more excited. But I suppose they know that one would sell the second set.
Bingo.

Putting out 4-8 in a set (cross-promoted with the DVD release of the remake) sells a LOT better than 5-8.

Although I do agree that 1-4/5-8 makes for a better break between sets.
Old 08-13-08, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well that kind of sucks. I am only hoping for commentaries on all three of them. I know those 3 had no special features on them in the box set (neither did either part 4 or 5, I can't remember right now), I'm sure Sean Cunningham would do a commentary he's done commentaries on many other movies.
Old 08-13-08, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Part III had a commentary in the Box set.
Old 08-13-08, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TheDuke
Nope, the one I'm going to is in Adelphi, MD.
Horrorfind?

If so, I've got a couple years before when I was in high school, and I really wanted to go this year with Roddy Piper, Michael Biehn, and William Forsythe all there.
Old 08-13-08, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can live with this... as long as Paramount re-releases the rest of the films in the future. Parts 1-4 might have a more continuous feel to them, but I think it's a wise move to release 1-3 as new SE's first, and then do the rest later down the line. 4-6 comprise the "Tommy Jarvis" storyline, so it would make sense for those three to be released together at a later date. 1-4 only feels like a good breaking point because 5 isn't really Jason, so many fans (myself included) practically don't count it. Then 7 and 8 could be given their own release, possibly even with a bonus disc to round things out. Either way, upgraded editions of these films is only a good thing.
Old 08-13-08, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just on principle alone, I'm going to wait until these are released on Blu-ray. There is no reason that ANY new set should be released as "DVD only" these days.
Old 08-13-08, 02:55 PM

I'm OK with them only releasing 1-3 as special editions, mostly because part 2 is my favorite film in the series (the most scary IMO). I'm really hopeful that part 2 will reintegrate some of the footage cut to avoid an X-rating at the time.
Old 08-13-08, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
Horrorfind?

If so, I've got a couple years before when I was in high school, and I really wanted to go this year with Roddy Piper, Michael Biehn, and William Forsythe all there.
Yeah! I went last year and I had a blast. I am super excited to get a whopping 6 different DVD's of mine signed this year! Should be a great time
Old 08-13-08, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by big e
I know about the alternate ending for part 3 but what was the ending for part 2?
I'm sure everyone reading this thread has seen part 2, but just in case...

Spoiler:
At the end of Part 2, right before the credits, the camera zooms in on the head of Mrs. Voorhees, the frame is frozen, end credits. Originally, her eyes opened up and gave a little smile to the camera, but it was cut for being too cheesy (which it is, lol, but in a good fun Friday way, IMO)

So, seeing that in the dvd would kinda make me
Old 08-13-08, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No BD = No Buy
Old 08-13-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
No BD = No Buy
see, this is what I meant when I said BD owners love to threadcrap and flaunt their aura of superiority over those of us who still buy standard. Thanks for proving my point.
Old 08-13-08, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
Part III had a commentary in the Box set.
You're right, I forgot, but now I remember because it had the guy who played Shelly on it.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.