Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

There Will Be Blood April 8th?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-08, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was prepared to hate the packaging for the 2-disc, but i actually kind of like it. i'm not too worried about scratching, because i'm going to get the Blu-Ray whenever that comes out anyway.

-NiCK
Old 04-08-08, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, and I thought the "Environmentally Friendly" packaging was bad. This just takes the cake.

Still, it's the movie that counts anyway. I plan on drinking this milkshake up.
Old 04-08-08, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hadn't read this topic and almost lost my mind when my copy arrived from Columbia House. Worst packaging ever. A hundred times worse than Warner's snappers ever were.

And I can't even return it to CH, because it was a "free" selection. Sucks!!
Old 04-08-08, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

People can always just print out a custom cover and slip it in a keepcase. Such wailing and gnashing of teeth over such an minor inconvenience.

Last edited by canaryfarmer; 04-08-08 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-08-08, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
People can always just print out a custom cover and slip it in a keepcase. Such wailing and gnashing of teeth over such an minor inconvenience.
The problem is, a lot of the discs are scratched because of the crappy packaging in the first place. Sure you can toss the awful factory case, but you still have scratched discs.

I don't know about you, but if I'm paying new prices, my discs better damn well be flawless.
Old 04-08-08, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But I haven't read about any scratched discs. Are a lot of them actually scratched?
Old 04-08-08, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
I thought I had a scuff, but it was just some paper fibers - my discs came pristine.
Old 04-09-08, 01:10 AM

Oh man, this has to be the most disappointing special edition ever.
The only semi-interesting special feature is the silent short, and even that is no cherry.

The film is magnificent of course, but I see no reason why someone should pay 7 dollars more for this crappy SE. $2 at most.

The film is great though. It's a bit weird seeing a film on SD though. I hope the BD looks a lot better than what's on the DVD when that does come out (with MORE special features). How does that sound?

BUT...my discs did come without any scratches, so for that I'm thankful. The packaging is kind of cool too...kind of. It's really a pain to take the discs out of the case though. :/
Old 04-09-08, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

A great extra they could've easily put on the 2nd disc was this hour long Charlie Rose interview with PTA and DDL, below:

<embed style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=5905835234863978982:122000:3225000&hl=en" flashvars=""> </embed>
Old 04-09-08, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah this 'nickel and dime' packaging crap sucks...

the film is terrific...
Old 04-09-08, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i can't believe there was an interview with Charlie Rose and they didn't inclde that in the DVD...man...Paramount is so cheap.
Old 04-09-08, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by animatedude
i can't believe there was an interview with Charlie Rose and they didn't inclde that in the DVD...man...Paramount is so cheap.
I don't know. I think PTA is probably to blame for that as well. He seems to have gotten total control over every aspect of this film, from production to video release.
Old 04-09-08, 08:15 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Thanks for posting that interview, I plan for it to fill my next 53 minutes.

All this talk of disc scratches confounds me. Maybe I just have good players and good luck, but my experience is that you can use a DVD as a frisbee for your dog to fetch, clean your dishes with it, leave it sitting out for months, and they still play flawlessly.
Old 04-09-08, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Trevor
Thanks for posting that interview, I plan for it to fill my next 53 minutes.

All this talk of disc scratches confounds me. Maybe I just have good players and good luck, but my experience is that you can use a DVD as a frisbee for your dog to fetch, clean your dishes with it, leave it sitting out for months, and they still play flawlessly.
It shouldn't be a problem, but it's the principle of the matter.

If you buy something new, it should be new and flawless.
Old 04-09-08, 01:44 PM

God grant me the strength to bypass the 2-disc set's questionable packaging and hold out for the blu-ray.
Old 04-09-08, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Originally Posted by Alkaline
God grant me the strength to bypass the 2-disc set's questionable packaging and hold out for the blu-ray.
Agreed. Saw this, loved it, now crappy release. Although I don't own a Blu player yet, I am planning on getting one soon and if this is released...perfect excuse to get it.
Old 04-09-08, 02:21 PM

Someone on Rotten Tomatoes posted about some 3 disc definitive edition announcement. Seems like an absolute hoax, but this seems like the place where someone would know the truth.
Old 04-09-08, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received my 2-disc set from Amazon. While I'm not a fan of the packaging, my discs did arrive in perfect shape...no scratches. Removing the discs from their resting places is a bit of a minor nuisance as compared to more standard DVD packaging.
Old 04-09-08, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Alkaline
Same here. I forgot that this was actually being released this week until I saw the multiple copies of There Will Be Shitty Packaging on the shelves at Best Buy and Future Shop.
Old 04-09-08, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by rmick
Someone on Rotten Tomatoes posted about some 3 disc definitive edition announcement. Seems like an absolute hoax, but this seems like the place where someone would know the truth.
I'd say it's most likely true. An extensive making of doc was confirmed a few months back, but PT Anderson said it wasn't coming on the upcoming DVDs because all it was is 'a bunch of people in the desert making a movie.'

I think a 3-Disc set makes perfect sense now; a lot of people will buy this release, then months later hear of the three disc and the doc and will want to buy it because they want insight into the film.

I'd also wouldn't be surprised for the three disc to have a directors commentary despite PT Anderson saying he wouldn't do them anymore.
Old 04-09-08, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

PTA said the same stuff about Punch Drunk Love (a making-of, commentary, etc.), and that had the same pathetic extras as this and still no double-dip. PDL may have had Sandler, but TWBB has made more money and had an Oscar win for DDL (along with the year's best catch-phrase), so maybe they can justify a double-dip - maybe a "I drink your milkshake" edition...
Old 04-09-08, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
PTA said the same stuff about Punch Drunk Love (a making-of, commentary, etc.), and that had the same pathetic extras as this and still no double-dip. PDL may have had Sandler, but TWBB has made more money and had an Oscar win for DDL (along with the year's best catch-phrase), so maybe they can justify a double-dip - maybe a "I drink your milkshake" edition...
I would love to see a source for this. After people kept screaming that this would face an inevitable double dip, I kept telling myself that this was so similar to the release of Punch Drunk Love that there was no chance, but now I am worried.
Old 04-09-08, 05:03 PM

I don't understand how ANYONE could think this packaging was acceptable (the people creating/distributing this POS).

As for people here who have received copies without scratched discs - do the discs stay that way after a couple insertions and removals from the packaging?

I received one copy that was scratched to hell the moment I took it out of the case. The 2nd I tried, I used almost surgerical precision to remove it from the case, and the discs didn't look too bad - just a few scratches. I put them back in the case. The next time I took it out (to actually watch it), it had a number of new scratches. Now quite frustrated, I placed it in as carefully as possible and removed it (again, as carefully as possible), and there were even MORE scratches. So, from what I'm seeing, even if you get a scratchfree copy, it isn't likely to stay like that for very long (unless you immediately create your own packaging).

Packaging's #1 job is to PROTECT THE MEDIA!!! I get so mad when companies forget that and give us bs like this.

Last edited by bevilacq12; 04-09-08 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-09-08, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you have paper sleeves, you can use these instead of the narrow slits that hold the discs. These fit inside of the foldout, and then the slipcase, without a problem.

...still, worst region one packaging to date for a multiple Academy Award winning film.
Old 04-09-08, 07:58 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by tofferman
If you have paper sleeves, you can use these instead of the narrow slits that hold the discs. These fit inside of the foldout, and then the slipcase, without a problem.
Exactly what I did. Still sucks that I had to do this, but at least it works. There's no way those discs would survive repeated removals from the slits.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.