There Will Be Blood April 8th?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

There Will Be Blood April 8th?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-08, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took one off of a TV show DVD set that I converted to slim-packs. I've been looking around on the internet, but haven't found anything yet.
Old 04-10-08, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I went ahead and picked it up today. I've taken the discs out and have put them in jewel cases, until I can find a double-digipack tray.
Old 04-10-08, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
My bigger gripe so far is with the film (I'm only an hour into it). Since BOOGIE NIGHTS and MAGNOLIA are two of my all-time favorite films, this was an easy blind-buy I'd been looking forward to. Never thought I'd say this about a PTA film, but God I hope it gets better soon. I'm trying to like it...but I'm really bored to tears so far.
Old 04-10-08, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
I thought Boogie and Magnolia were okay, but TWBB absolutely obliterates them. Comparatively, those were movies made by a child, with lots of "razzle-dazzle", where as this one is a more mature and thoughtful work made by an adult.
Old 04-10-08, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
I thought Boogie and Magnolia were okay, but TWBB absolutely obliterates them. Comparatively, those were movies made by a child, with lots of "razzle-dazzle", where as this one is a more mature and thoughtful work made by an adult.

I could hardly concur with you that Boogie and Magnolia were just "okay", but it is encouraging that PTA is growing as a filmmaker, and it's going to be great following his career for years to come.
Old 04-10-08, 07:48 PM

Why would you stop a film an hour in to check to see what strangers on the internet think? Why not watch the entire film before passing judgment?
Old 04-10-08, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I picked up the 2 disc today. The packaging isn't the best, but I don't think I'll have a problem keeping this scratch-free. I don't think this is the kind of film I'll be pulling in and out to watch a zillion times.
The one disc packaging is so freakin' weird. I hope the movie makes up for the cardboard case!
Old 04-10-08, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by domino harvey
Why would you stop a film an hour in to check to see what strangers on the internet think? Why not watch the entire film before passing judgment?

I was online while I was watching it, dude. Was not checking to see what others think, I was just posting like everyone else. I finished it and it did get better, but I will have to see it again. Nowhere near as good as what I expected from PTA. I'm not sure if this ultimately get much replay.

Warning to fans of his other work planning the blind buy...found this much much different and not my cup of tea.
Old 04-10-08, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just because he is older doesn't mean the film is better. I actually now think his movies have become a bit worse each time, because nothing has topped "Boogie Nights" for me.
Old 04-10-08, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by indiephantom
I was online while I was watching it, dude.
That does not help for immersion.
Old 04-10-08, 09:55 PM
Banned

YOU CANNOT APPRECIATE A GOOD FILM IF YOU ARE ONLINE.
Sorry, but thats just the facts.
Old 04-10-08, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Drop
That does not help for immersion.
I was watching the film, dude. I'm not trying to live it.
Old 04-10-08, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Your first mistake was not initially seeing it at the theaters, on film, projected onto a 70 foot-wide screen.
Old 04-10-08, 10:34 PM

I'm a huge PTA fan (hell, I ran the definitive website for him for years). I like There Will be Blood, but for pure enjoyment (and replay value), it doesn't hold a candle to Boogie Nights, Magnolia (or even PDL and Hard Eight)...
Old 04-10-08, 11:21 PM

Hey guys, I don't like the movie I'm half-paying attention to while I surf the net
Old 04-10-08, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by depooter
I'm a huge PTA fan (hell, I ran the definitive website for him for years). I like There Will be Blood, but for pure enjoyment (and replay value), it doesn't hold a candle to Boogie Nights, Magnolia (or even PDL and Hard Eight)...
Thank you. I agree.
Old 04-10-08, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by domino harvey
Hey guys, I don't like the movie I'm half-paying attention to while I surf the net
I wasn't surfing. I just popped on after responding to a quck IM to see if there was a thread about the DVD.
Old 04-10-08, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Your first mistake was not initially seeing it at the theaters, on film, projected onto a 70 foot-wide screen.
Sorry, but there are no theatres like that in my area. I have to rely on DVD for films like this. I do have a pretty big screen, though.
Old 04-11-08, 08:56 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Just my opinion, but one has no right to criticize a movie unless they gave it their full attention (on the first viewing at least). You can watch it any way you want to, but I don't see how you could think your opinion has any value unless you fully watched it.

A movie is meant to be an immersive experience. Plain and simple.
Old 04-11-08, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Sorry I haven't been paying attention to this thread more closely. I was online.
Old 04-11-08, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
A movie is meant to be an immersive experience. Plain and simple.
That's why I always turn the phone off when I'm watching a movie, no distractions. I can't imagine getting up to answer an IM an hour into a movie.
Old 04-11-08, 09:53 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
I won't be able to express this personal theory well without pissing someone off, but here goes. I'll keep it very condensed.

Some people appreciate movies only (or mainly) as entertainment. For the most part, those people won't "love" a film like TWBB or NCfOM. They need more of a closed, or dare I say, simple, story. Certain movies, no matter how well done, won't be entertaining for them.

Some people are more in it for the "art", and can fully appreciate a film even if it is full of subject matter that does not even slightly interest them, has completely unlikable characters, and is slow as molasses.

Most people are somewhere between this two extremes of course. And I am in no way saying that anyone in this thread is either extreme, or that either extreme is "wrong".

Personally, I tend towards the second extreme, and feel that the two movies are two of the best films of this century, and may go on to be timeless classics.

But I also agree that TWBB is not as "entertaining" as a couple of PTA's other films. They are nowhere near as good as TWBB (imho), but I will re-watch Boogie Nights and perhaps Magnolia more often that TWBB.

Again, I am not saying that anyone on the planet, let alone here, is "simple" for not falling in love with TWBB. I just feel that there are completely different ways that people appreciate film/entertainment, and the two camps will never agree on certain things.

Obviously, there are exceptions to everything, and I'm sure that some people firmly in the "movies are art" camp can hate TWBB for very valid reasons, and some people that love mainstream "low-brow" films also love TWBB.

I'm sure someone will scan this post (while talking on the phone and IMing someone) and cast me as an elitist asshole, but I'm really not. I'm just trying to quickly explain my silly little mind's way of understanding why both camps are perfectly "a-ok" and will often not understand each other's views.
Old 04-11-08, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Nickofdoom
Any idea where i can get a double-digipack tray?

^Same question here.

This packaging reminds me of the tool 10,000 days cd. They had something similar with the staples sticking out right where you took out the cd.
Old 04-11-08, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by grenier
That's why I always turn the phone off when I'm watching a movie, no distractions.
"Yeah, I'm sorry I showed up so late to the hospital, but honestly, you knew better. You know that nothing--NOTHING--is more important to me, especially when it comes to the unexpected news of emergencies, than my uninterrupted comfort of sitting in one place for hours watching a screen. You know what you married into, and I don't want to hear about it now."
Old 04-11-08, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
"Yeah, I'm sorry I showed up so late to the hospital, but honestly, you knew better. You know that nothing--NOTHING--is more important to me, especially when it comes to the unexpected news of emergencies, than my uninterrupted comfort of sitting in one place for hours watching a screen. You know what you married into, and I don't want to hear about it now."
"Pause? Start the movie over? How dare you even suggest that! I don't care how big the truck was that hit you, honey; Caddyshack II needn't be interrupted until the closing credits."

Last edited by MikeDeN2K; 04-11-08 at 11:24 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.