Reload this Page >

Rate My DVD Collection

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Rate My DVD Collection

Old 11-19-07, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
That Kurosawa guy must be some genius if the absence of his movies can affect the grade given to a DVD collection so dramatically. How many Antonioni, Bergman, Chaplin, Dreyer, Eisenstein, Fellini, and so on, does it take to equal a Kurosawa?
2a+1b+1c+4d+3e+1F=1K
Old 11-19-07, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acubfaninmd
2a+1b+1c+4d+3e+1F=1K
That's pretty harsh. I might trade a Kurosawa for a Kassovitz, Keaton, Kiarostami, or Koreeda straight up, but I don't know how far he'd go against a lot of others.

cubfaninmd's, here's your titles I especially like along with an accompanying recommendation:

12 Monkeys (La Jetée -- original film 12M is based on)
Brazil (City of Lost Children -- similar style)
Children of Men (1984 -- another dystopian film)
A Fistful of Dollars (Yojimbo -- original film AFOD is based on)
Half Nelson (Old Joy -- if HN is the second best film of 2006, OJ is the first, in my book anyway)
Memento (Run, Lola, Run -- another film that plays with time)
Old Boy (Samaritan Girl -- another dark Korean film)
Old 11-19-07, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cranberries fan
Acubfaninmd Nice picks in that collection of yours I give you a B- (( It would be a A if you only had some Kurosawa movies in there )).
That Kurosawa guy must be some genius if the absence of his movies can affect the grade given to a DVD collection so dramatically. How many Antonioni, Bergman, Chaplin, Dreyer, Eisenstein, Fellini, and so on, does it take to equal a Kurosawa?
Originally Posted by MrDs 10E
This kind of snobbery is the reason why so many don't explore art, because art snobs, whether they are movie snobs, music snobs, literature snobs, whatever, are nothing more than intellectual bullies, and so many people who step into explorations of art quickly step right back out when these bullies endeavor to tell them what their taste SHOULD be.
... or common Internet threads
Old 11-19-07, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Always looking for new recommendations - my collection is in my sig.
Old 11-19-07, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Always looking for new recommendations - my collection is in my sig.
I really like your collection. On a curved scale (as compared to other collections at DVDTalk), I'd give it an A+. I'd recommend you consider the Dreyer and Eisenstein box sets (based on your Passion of Joan of Arc) from the Criterion Collection, as well as Mikey & Nicky (based on your Cassavetes box set).
Old 11-19-07, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really like your collection. On a curved scale (as compared to other collections at DVDTalk), I'd give it an A+. I'd recommend you consider the Dreyer and Eisenstein box sets (based on your Passion of Joan of Arc) from the Criterion Collection, as well as Mikey & Nicky (based on your Cassavetes box set).
I've got Mikey and Nicky on my wishlist - almost bought it during the 20% off sale, but decided I had spent too much $ already. I'll stick with my battered VHS for now. The Dreyer set looks intriguing - I'll add it to my wishlist, along with the MOC version of Michael, which is apparently region 0. Thanks.

EDIT: Michael is a PAL release- does that mean I'll have problems playing it in my Region One player?

Last edited by NoirFan; 11-19-07 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-19-07, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Michael is a PAL release- does that mean I'll have problems playing it in my Region One player?
If your DVD player outputs only in NTSC format (which sounds likely to be the case) then you won't be able to play a PAL format disc.
Old 11-19-07, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If your DVD player outputs only in NTSC format (which sounds likely to be the case) then you won't be able to play a PAL format disc.
Bummer. Went ahead and took the plunge on the Dreyer set - sold an OOP title on Amazon today for 60 bucks, so I'll use that profit to justify the cost. Day of Wrath in particular looks very interesting. Big fan of Dreyer's Vampyr - love to see that get the Criterion treatment.
Old 11-19-07, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Bummer. Went ahead and took the plunge on the Dreyer set - sold an OOP title on Amazon today for 60 bucks, so I'll use that profit to justify the cost. Day of Wrath in particular looks very interesting. Big fan of Dreyer's Vampyr - love to see that get the Criterion treatment.
I like Day of Wrath a lot, but Ordet is Dreyer's late-period masterpiece in my opinion.

I noticed on your "on order" page that you've got the R1 of L'Atalante on order. Great film. Poor transfer. The R2 Complete Vigo set is a wonder to behold. You should think about going region-free. I notice that you've also got Eureka (1983) on order. Looks questionable. Are you sure you didn't actually intend to get the amazing Eureka (2000)?
Old 11-19-07, 09:40 PM
Cool New Member

Alright THFM, since I'm a big horror fan myself as well, I counted about 75 movies that i have in my collection too, excluding the sets you have (Friday, Omen, N.O.E.S.).
I don't know why you want to have your collection rated by others but I'd say it's a B collection, because that's exactly what most of your films are, B-Movies.

I'm not a fan of all those 80's USA comedies in your collection, I guess you have to be an American to really appreciate those. I do really like some of the old ones with Steve Martin (The Jerk, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Bowfinger) and Eddie Murphy though (Trading Places, 48 Hours) but I don't think I saw those in your collection.
Don't you like those ?
Old 11-19-07, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I notice that you've also got Eureka (1983) on order. Looks questionable. Are you sure you didn't actually intend to get the amazing Eureka (2000)?
Not supposed to be one of Roeg's finest, but I thought it was worth a look. Might be going OOP - seems tough to find online. Wish that complete Vigo set was R1 - been wanting to check out his short films, especially since "Zero de Conduite" was the inspiration for If..., a personal favorite.

Last edited by NoirFan; 11-19-07 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-19-07, 10:08 PM
Cool New Member

Not supposed to be one of Roeg's finest, but I thought it was worth a look. Might be going OOP - seems tough to find online. Wish that complete Vigo set was R1 - been wanting to check out his short films, especially since "Zero de Conduite" was the inspiration for If..., a personal favorite.
Oh do check out Eureka, it's one of my favourite Roeg movies.
What do you mean with "questionable" Mr. Bengoshi ?
Old 11-20-07, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Elemental
Oh do check out Eureka, it's one of my favourite Roeg movies.
What do you mean with "questionable" Mr. Bengoshi ?
I haven't seen it so I don't have an informed opinion, but it gets some low ratings. IMDB lists it as a 5.5/10 based on 638 votes.

Originally Posted by Variety
Even by his own standards, Nicolas Roeg's Eureka is an indulgent melodrama about the anticlimactic life of a greedy gold prospector after he has struck it rich.
Originally Posted by NYTimes
This time out, however, the director's strivings for tricky effects seem to have left him little attention to spare for developing his characters or drawing passable performances from his actors, who are burdened with having to speak, unsmilingly, such lines as: ''Tonight I took a bath because of you.'' ''I won't rest until I see that man dead.'' ''I want to touch human flesh.'' ''You are guilty of innocence.'' ''Once I had it all. Now I just have everything.'' ''Gold smells stronger than a woman.'' ''It's not me they hate but what I represent.'' ''I taught you everything you know.'' ''My blood is his blood, and his is mine.'' ''Where I come from you don't own a thing. The most you can do is stake your claim.'' ''I know what eternity looks like. It's white and yet very dark. It's like a desert in the snow at night. I'm beyond eternity. The abyss. Nothing.''

In its marriage of the pretentious to the banal, the story lives up to such lines.
Even Ebert's generally positive review sounds like a mixed-bag:

Originally Posted by Ebert
If EUREKA is not completely successful, if, indeed, it is sometimes merely silly and often confusing, maybe that's the price we pay for Roeg's intensity. At least it is never boring.
So that's why I said questionable (not bad, questionable).
Old 11-20-07, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yakuza thanks for the suggestions. i'll have to get some of those and i know a lot of them are criterions so what better way to build my collection.
Old 11-20-07, 10:53 AM

Added some new movies:

Training Day
Dr. Giggles
Chappelle Show Season 1, 2, and Lost Episodes
Stay Tuned
The Craft
Uncle Sam
Teen Witch

This will probably make you guys hate my collection more lmfao.
Old 11-20-07, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by THFM
Added some new movies:

Training Day
Dr. Giggles
Stay Tuned
The Craft
Uncle Sam
Teen Witch

Those drop my rating down to a D.
Old 11-20-07, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by THFM
Added some new movies:

Training Day
Dr. Giggles
Stay Tuned
The Craft
Uncle Sam
Teen Witch

Haha at least you're honest about it
Old 11-20-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts
(Guess I'll join in)

I expected your collection to be worse, but you got major points from me on your martial-arts love (Just need more uncut,widescreen,and subtitled versions of them)
Old 11-20-07, 12:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My advise, if you somehow manage to get a woman to visit your place, hide this "collection" deep in the crawl space of your attic. One look at these Blockbuster losers, and she'll be out the door without a glance back.
Old 11-20-07, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We should start a separat thread for rating people's storage methods / units.

We can call it Rate my Rack.
Old 11-20-07, 12:45 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by MrVette99
My advise, if you somehow manage to get a woman to visit your place, hide this "collection" deep in the crawl space of your attic. One look at these Blockbuster losers, and she'll be out the door without a glance back.
MrVette, the only person on here that needs a bit of good advice is you.
I'm sure you must have felt really superior when you wrote that. By the way, I'm pretty sure you're not much of an expert on "women". There are many different ones out there, didn't you know ?

THFM, i too have Training Day (which i think is really good) and The Craft (it's oke) .
Dr. Giggles (silly but fun) and Stay Tuned (thought it was very nice, I also had a major crush on Pam Dawber as a kid, what happened to her ?) i will happily pick up if i can buy those under 5 Euros.

As for Yakuza, do you only watch and buy films that get really high scores on the IMDB ? Another question, do you blind buy everything that gets released by Criterion ?
Old 11-20-07, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know why you want to have your collection rated by others but I'd say it's a B collection, because that's exactly what most of your films are, B-Movies.
How can you give that collection a B? He doesnt appreciate movies before 1970 for one. I didnt see any hitchcock and most of his movies are horror films that wouldn't be considered to be top in that genre. Thats whay I gave him the rating he did and with the ones he just added that dropped it down to a D. If you want elemental you can compare my collection versus his.

http://www.dvdspot.com/member=cubfaninmd
Old 11-20-07, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

As for Yakuza, do you only watch and buy films that get really high scores on the IMDB ?
You mean like The Brown Bunny, IMDB=5.1, and Twentynine Palms, IMDB=5.0? No, obviously not. Even some of my favorite films don't do well on IMDB. For example, Millennium Mambo which I provided a very long endorsement for on page 2 of this thread only gets a 6.6 on IMDB.

Another question, do you blind buy everything that gets released by Criterion ?
No. I learned my lesson with The Rock and I Am Curious. I pretty much don't buy blind anymore unless there's good reason to believe I'm going to love it (most often because of the director involved) or it's not available in R1 and buying blind is the only way to see it. Now I check most unknown quantities out on Netflix first, then track it on my watched piles on DVDAF and pick up the "essential" and "great" ones when they're on sale.

Last edited by Yakuza Bengoshi; 11-20-07 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-20-07, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by MrVette99
Really? Because my g/f likes 60 percent of my movies. What girl doesn't like horror? Honestly a lot of girls like scary movies and comedies. Plus one of her fav movies is Teen Witch and I got it for her. Also my brother's wife loves the movie as well. What your point is I don't know.

Last edited by THFM; 11-20-07 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-20-07, 01:14 PM

MrVette, the only person on here that needs a bit of good advice is you.
I'm sure you must have felt really superior when you wrote that. By the way, I'm pretty sure you're not much of an expert on "women". There are many different ones out there, didn't you know ?

THFM, i too have Training Day (which i think is really good) and The Craft (it's oke) .
Dr. Giggles (silly but fun) and Stay Tuned (thought it was very nice, I also had a major crush on Pam Dawber as a kid, what happened to her ?) i will happily pick up if i can buy those under 5 Euros.

As for Yakuza, do you only watch and buy films that get really high scores on the IMDB ? Another question, do you blind buy everything that gets released by Criterion ?
Thanks. I don't know who Mr.Vette is but I guess you don't like him. Ha.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.