Rate My DVD Collection

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Rate My DVD Collection

Old 12-06-07, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by THFM
I give your collection a C. You have some movies I like, but a lot I don't. You like a lot of TV shows that I hate. That's why I offset it with a C.
And which would those be?
Old 12-07-07, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by macnorton
And which would those be?
I hate 24 I'm sorry that show is so annoying to me
Old 12-07-07, 08:12 AM

I hate 24 I'm sorry that show is so annoying to me
Don't apologize, you don't like it that's cool. But what else don't you like?
Old 12-07-07, 10:18 AM

Don't apologize, you don't like it that's cool. But what else don't you like?
Dislikes:

aeon flux
alias
alien
aqua teen
arrested development
narnia
gladiator
invader zim
king kong
le femme nikita
king of the hill
kung fu hustle
law and order
lost
lord of the rings
mash
the office
rocky and bullwinkle
six feet under
sin city
terminator
v for vendetta
walt disney treasures
x files
verionica mars
ugly betty
silent hill
elektra
kill bill
rescue me

x men
roger rabbit
warriors
training day
texas chainsaw massacre
your kung fu movies
cult classic box set
american psycho
spawn
protector
dawn of the dead
day of the dead
deathproof
planet terror
nip tuck
office space
oz
phantasam
scarface
saw

The rest I don't care for. i think you should get ong bak. It came out before the protector and its way better. It's such a solid kung fu movie.
Old 12-07-07, 03:08 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 455 Likes on 405 Posts
someone else can do mine, just for shits and giggles...
Old 12-07-07, 04:20 PM

Dislikes:

aeon flux
alias
alien
aqua teen
arrested development
narnia
gladiator
invader zim
king kong
le femme nikita
king of the hill
kung fu hustle
law and order
lost
lord of the rings
mash
the office
rocky and bullwinkle
six feet under
sin city
terminator
v for vendetta
walt disney treasures
x files
verionica mars
ugly betty
silent hill
elektra
kill bill
rescue me

x men
roger rabbit
warriors
training day
texas chainsaw massacre
your kung fu movies
cult classic box set
american psycho
spawn
protector
dawn of the dead
day of the dead
deathproof
planet terror
nip tuck
office space
oz
phantasam
scarface
saw

The rest I don't care for. i think you should get ong bak. It came out before the protector and its way better. It's such a solid kung fu movie.
I have that...it just hasn't made it to the archive yet. And that is a long list of dislikes...wow.
Old 12-07-07, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
someone else can do mine, just for shits and giggles...
Very close to my collection. There is a lot of overlap...and there are some good cheese films in there. I give it a B+

Edit: I saw the Killer (Criterion) on there. Very cool. Check out Branded to Kill and Tokyo Drifter. They are a little weird after the first viewing, but they are awesome hitman flicks.

Last edited by macnorton; 12-07-07 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-07-07, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This thread seems to have awoken since i last posted, so I'll give it another shot:

http://www.dvdspot.com/member=zombeaner
Old 12-08-07, 07:13 AM

i've just started "collecting" this past April mainly b/c of this site so i'll throw mine up for review/opinions/recommendations

http://www.dvdspot.com/list.php?memb...gjr&list=owned
Old 12-08-07, 09:25 AM

zombeaner, you have a lot of DVD's. A lot of worthwhile films a little off the radar (Chopper, Millennium Mambo, Sweet Hereafter, Don't Look Now, Bamboozled (yes I said it!) come to mind. The problem is there are so many DVD's and I'd imagine at least half are total garbage (Feardotcom, Candyman, 8MM, Club Dread, Ted Bundy, it can go on). The films of the 60's and 70's you do have are mostly exploitation and blaxploitation. It could use a cleaning and more seeing what is interesting from those decades besides exploitation cinema. It has a lot of worthwhile and challenging cinema in there though including Bunuel though so it does things right.
Grade: B-/B

Last edited by cfloyd3; 12-08-07 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-08-07, 11:13 AM
Suspended

don't listen, The Ted Bundy Movie was great.

and the only good product of the 70's was exploitation/sleaze/horror etc.
Old 12-08-07, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by gmerreighnjr
i've just started "collecting" this past April mainly b/c of this site so i'll throw mine up for review/opinions/recommendations

i give your collection a c as well, lots of movies i don't like with some i like.
Old 12-08-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts
The problem is there are so many DVD's and I'd imagine at least half are total garbage (Feardotcom, Candyman, 8MM, Club Dread, Ted Bundy, it can go on) and the films of the 60's and 70's you do have are mostly exploitation and blaxploitation.
Candyman is one of the best horror films ever made, with a haunting score composed by Phillip Glass.

Don't be so quick to dismiss exploitation films. Some of our greatest directors, like Martin Scorsese, started out making exploitation films for the drive-in market.
Old 12-08-07, 11:37 AM

One of the best ever made? Well, I suppose it is in a higher class than Feardotcom and Club Dread.

I didn't dismiss exploitation films. I just commented that is mostly what he had from the decades. I guess I should have separated with a period which I will do now.

Last edited by cfloyd3; 12-08-07 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-08-07, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

someone can rate mine (in sig)
Old 12-08-07, 01:04 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 455 Likes on 405 Posts
Very close to my collection. There is a lot of overlap...and there are some good cheese films in there. I give it a B+

Edit: I saw the Killer (Criterion) on there. Very cool. Check out Branded to Kill and Tokyo Drifter. They are a little weird after the first viewing, but they are awesome hitman flicks.
so you give your own collection a B+? pretty harsh, no?
Old 12-08-07, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
so you give your own collection a B+? pretty harsh, no?
No, I don't think so. I always feel there is room for improvement in my collection. I am lacking in British films, pre-1960's and comedies.

Although this probably should have been mentioned earlier, I think a few people are missing the point of the thread. It isn't exactly a matter of what you the reviewer likes. It is how the collection is. Although in scott1598's case his collection is almost identical to mine, so I am biased there. But if other people didn't have a similar collection, then I would rate it based on what they have not what I like....that isn't fair.
Old 12-08-07, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by cfloyd3
zombeaner, you have a lot of DVD's. A lot of worthwhile films a little off the radar (Chopper, Millennium Mambo, Sweet Hereafter, Don't Look Now, Bamboozled (yes I said it!) come to mind. The problem is there are so many DVD's and I'd imagine at least half are total garbage (Feardotcom, Candyman, 8MM, Club Dread, Ted Bundy, it can go on). The films of the 60's and 70's you do have are mostly exploitation and blaxploitation. It could use a cleaning and more seeing what is interesting from those decades besides exploitation cinema. It has a lot of worthwhile and challenging cinema in there though including Bunuel though so it does things right.
Grade: B-/B
More than I know what to do with. I'm an exploitation fan. I love Russ Meyer as much, or more, than Kurosawa. I think that saying half of the DVDs are trash is a bit unreasonable, many of the shittier titles are in my collection for a reason, feardotcom, for example, sort of stars Jeffrey Combs. That is reason enough to own it for me, plus it was $1.98. I also have a true crime fetish, hence all the serial killer flicks. I try to keep it varied, my main problem is that my buying keeps outpacing my viewing!
Old 12-08-07, 11:29 PM

Yeah, I can't say I am that big on Kurosawa myself. I would recommend a few titles that I didn't see in there like Seconds (John Frankenheimer) and Prime Cut (Michael Ritchie). Those are very interesting films I think you'd like.
Old 12-09-07, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Gobear
The problem is there are so many DVD's and I'd imagine at least half are total garbage (Feardotcom, Candyman, 8MM, Club Dread, Ted Bundy, it can go on) and the films of the 60's and 70's you do have are mostly exploitation and blaxploitation.
Candyman is one of the best horror films ever made, with a haunting score composed by Phillip Glass.

Don't be so quick to dismiss exploitation films. Some of our greatest directors, like Martin Scorsese, started out making exploitation films for the drive-in market.
I have to agree Candyman is a solid movie i must add to my collection as well, but its not the best ever, but its still solid.
Old 12-09-07, 02:37 AM

Anyone else up to judging mine?
Old 12-09-07, 04:43 PM

somebody can judge my modest collection if they want.

http://dvdspot.com/list.php?list=own...lay=all&page=1
Old 12-10-07, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm back, and needless to say, I'm surprised that this thread is still going. However, since it is, I'll jump back in.

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
Aww, maybe one more? My collection, in towering jpg format stitched together from the MediaMan organizer since I don't use any of the online database sites.
I like your collection a lot. I'd give it an A-. Your taste in anime is very focused, but all the titles are absolutely great. Your TV titles are a bit broader than my tastes would allow for, but also generally great. Great MOC and CC titles (get the Dreyer box set!). You've got several Hollywood hits that I found to be a bore, but that's okay too. All around excellent.

Originally Posted by acubfaninmd
As long as people keep coming in here to have their collections rated this thread will go on for a long time.
That's a tautology.

Anyone want to take a crack at mine? I am curious to see what people think, since my collection overlaps a lot of people who responded here.
Overlaps is a good word for it. Your collection is either very broad in scope or all over the place, depending on how one interprets it. I'm not qualified to judge your collection since I have no idea whether titles such as Gilmore Girls, Orgazmo, Space Ghost, Spawn, Voltron, and their ilk are any good.

Originally Posted by whitetigeress
If anything it is Yakuza Bengoshi who should get credit for this thread.
Thanks for the kind words.

Originally Posted by gmerreighnjr

I see some of those titles are attributable to your child, and I'm going to assume some of the others are attributable to your wife. As to the rest, I don't share your taste in wrestling or school-boy humor in the least, but you do have a few titles that aren't bad in my book. My guess from your collection is that you're a young parent without a lot of undivided time for film watching and that when you do pop something in the player you want something that will entertain your guy friends or something to see with the wife, but in neither case do you want to see films that are going to demand your undivided attention. Is that about right?

Originally Posted by project86
Anyone else up to judging mine?
I want to put your collection in context before I judge it. Is your collection limited to what titles are available at the Guntersville, Alabama Wal-Mart on Highway 431?

Originally Posted by witty alias
somebody can judge my modest collection if they want.

http://dvdspot.com/list.php?list=own...lay=all&page=1
You're going to have to provide a better link or give us your DVDSpot username and password.
Old 12-10-07, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone want to rate my collection? See my sig.
Old 12-10-07, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rate my collection or get pwned.

http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/kaze0

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.