Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars Original Trilogy DVDs - Exclusives

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Star Wars Original Trilogy DVDs - Exclusives

Old 09-12-06, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 716 Likes on 516 Posts
I got the tin. The first 3 I picked up had the same slight dent in the same place. It's odd having the back hinged also. I guess you can have quicker access to your 2 favorites.
Old 09-12-06, 06:56 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Screw the tin, I want my gold-spined copies finally displayed next to their gold prequel counterparts. I can finally stop grinding my teeth at night.
What's really going to chap your ass is when you realize that the gold used on the new releases is slightly darker than the gold on the prequels.
Old 09-12-06, 07:21 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Before going to work today I realized I had a bunch of Best Buy reward zone coupons. So, long story short, I got the tin, which I actually like a lot. Reminds me of the old Anchor Bay tins, but not as cumbersome. The lithographs were nice but they'd just end up sitting in a drawer somewhere. As for the graphic novels, I don't need them, because I have the originals.
Old 09-12-06, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Big Worms
Well that did not take long. 14 of them for sale on ebay. All for about 90 bucks.

been a few on there for a week....not a single one has sold
Old 09-12-06, 08:02 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TomOpus
I got the tin. The first 3 I picked up had the same slight dent in the same place. It's odd having the back hinged also. I guess you can have quicker access to your 2 favorites.
Where was the dent?
Old 09-12-06, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 716 Likes on 516 Posts
Originally Posted by Wick
Where was the dent?
Ok, you know by now that both the front and back open up. The dent was just above the upper hinge of the "back door".
Old 09-12-06, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It looks like the back of the Band of Brothers tin is hinged too, they just sealed it shut. But, yeah, I don't get it either.
Old 09-12-06, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Those in Canada who buy the discs in the tin will get 100% English covers.

The individual releases have crappy bilingual covers, so another reason to buy the tin in Canada.

Last edited by Disc-Flipper; 09-12-06 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-12-06, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Went to CIcuit CIty. Split the cost on New hope with a friend. Circuit city gave us all 3 lithos, i keept 2. :-) Passed on the tin at BB.
Old 09-13-06, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On my school break I went to CC for the lithos. Purchased the tin on the way back home, I'll be returning the CC dvds back later this week. Can this also be done at Wal Mart? I want to get the graphic novels and return the DVDs back.
Old 09-13-06, 12:24 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Went to a few stores here to find the tin case, they're all sold out are they that hard to find?
Old 09-13-06, 12:36 AM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Each Best Buy gets a minimum of 20, so I guess some only got 20. The one I went to had a big stand with the DVDs, and the top row was for the box set. The first shelf was empty, but behind it was another shelf full of sets.

Last edited by Supermallet; 09-13-06 at 01:04 AM.
Old 09-13-06, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Fok
Went to a few stores here to find the tin case, they're all sold out are they that hard to find?
I went at around 8:30 pm, and there were 3 left. I don't remember where I heard it, but I think each store only got 20. Although, my girlfriend pointed out that the shelf/stand they were on probably couldn't hold more than 10, so maybe they kept some in the back... or maybe it can hold all 20. So, not sure if they are super hard to find, but I got mine

Although there are like 5 threads about this (to which I may post this in each? heh), I decided to get this set. I went to Circuit City, and bought all three, and got all three Liths too. They apparently had a lot.

I then went to check out the tin and liked it so much I bought it too.

Going to try a return on the CC individuals later...

Originally Posted by outcastja
On my school break I went to CC for the lithos. Purchased the tin on the way back home, I'll be returning the CC dvds back later this week. Can this also be done at Wal Mart? I want to get the graphic novels and return the DVDs back.
I heard that the WM ones are in shrink, although not sure on this. If they are, you can't return them probably.

edit:
Originally Posted by suprmallat
Each Best Buy gets a minimum of 20, so I'm guess some only got 20. The one I went to had a big stand with the DVDs, and the top row was for the box set. The first shelf was empty, but behind it was another shelf full of sets.
Oh, so it's a min of 20. Beat me to the response :P

Last edited by thomkai; 09-13-06 at 12:51 AM.
Old 09-13-06, 01:32 AM

Since I didn't see any picture of them yet, here's what the Wal-Mart exclusives look like up close, but not too personal...

A New Hope

The Empire Strikes Back

Return Of The Jedi

I realized after opening them, that I hadn't taken a picture of the back, so here it is. All three boxes are identical...

I figured they'd be smallish comics to attach to the boxes or whatever, but like darthlurker said, they're full size and they look great. Since they came out just a little before my time, I'm glad to have them.

Last edited by Grandmaster C; 09-13-06 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-13-06, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Any pix of the Target exclusives?
Old 09-13-06, 03:58 AM

So I noticed the description on the backs of these were different than the previous releases:

Ltd. Ed: "Widescreen format enhanced for 16x9 TVs (Aspect Ratio 2.35:1)"
Previous Release: "Anamorphic Widescreen (Aspect Ratio 2.35:1)"

I realize they are the same, but I wonder why the language was changed.
Old 09-13-06, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

stiil waiting for pix of the TIN.
Old 09-13-06, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Living Dead
Any pix of the Target exclusives?
They're just postcard-sized small prints included inside the DVDs. Not as good as the comics for sure.
Old 09-13-06, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by animatedude
stiil waiting for pix of the TIN.
53 posts before yours
Old 09-13-06, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 156 Posts
Those comics look great but since I already have both SW & ESB in the trade reprints (as well as my originals - which are in piss poor shape - hey...I actually read them a million times back in the day), then I will pass on those...especially since they would cost me approx $7 bucks more apiece when comparing to the Suncoast price.

I would like to have that Return of the Jedi, though. I had the original Marvel Super Special years ago but can't seem to find it anymore.
Old 09-13-06, 07:01 AM

to get subtitles for greedo and others, but not for all hit subtitle button on your dvd player remote to subtitles en2. this will show only the subs you want not all.

also wanted to mention that I was going to pass on getting these dvds until I went to circuit city and looked at the lithos. The nice checkout lady gave me a large poster with all three lithos on it and three round metal pins of each movie when I purchased these. That made it worth it for me. I got the last large poster, 3 lithos and 3 pins.
Old 09-13-06, 07:20 AM

Since I started this thread, I'll just say that I went with the tin.
Old 09-13-06, 07:57 AM

The tin was much better than I expected and came perfectly via Best Buy mail (in a box with packaging materials and everything). i gulped however when i saw that black security sticker attached to the back. i slowly took it off and saw this shiny silver underneath it and a feeling of dread came over me so quickly thinking it was peeling the paint to the underneath tin. it was still the tag and it came off fine. phew!!

it stands nicely with no seam on the bottom and really holds the DVD's well.

looks really good sandwiched between my "Serenity" tin and silver SW SE Box set.

overall...very, very pleased.
Old 09-13-06, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 156 Posts
For those interested, here are the pack of cards that come with the movies if you buy them at Sam Goody or Suncoast. I haven't decided if i am going to open them yet or not but they just appear to be a total of 7 various reprints of the old movie cards ( acouple for each film). Interesting but nothing special. Plus I have found out that you have to cut your UPCs out to get $5 rebate for each film.

Old 09-13-06, 02:36 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Ok, you know by now that both the front and back open up. The dent was just above the upper hinge of the "back door".
That sounds like it's exactly where my copy has a dent. It was really worrying me, but I guess it's just some sort of production error or something.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.