Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Star Wars Original Trilogy DVDs - Exclusives

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-06, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts
Just curious but do you think the tin will really be a rarity or is it just "hot" right now and the demand will fade. I have no interest in buying a bunch & selling them but after seeing it at BB, it is rather nice. They have many at the moment at my BB but I would hate to let it pass if it does become rare.

Why can't BB have a 10/12% coupon going on now! That would make my decision much easier.
Old 09-13-06, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Just curious but do you think the tin will really be a rarity or is it just "hot" right now and the demand will fade. I have no interest in buying a bunch & selling them but after seeing it at BB, it is rather nice. They have many at the moment at my BB but I would hate to let it pass if it does become rare.
Well, it's as rare now as it's ever going to be. Undoubtedly Best Buy is going to eventually sell out though, and probably sooner rather than later. After it's goine it's really hard to say how valuable the tin will be later on. I don't think most other limited edition tins have accrued much in value. However, this is Star Wars, so people might go a little more crazy over it.

The big thing to ask youself is do you think it's worth the money right now? The tin isn't likely to drop in price. If you don't like it enough to splurge on it right now, why would you want to spend the same amount of money on it later just because it becomes harder to get? It should be either worth the money to you or not, and don't let its rarity influence you enough to purchase something you don't think you really want.
Old 09-13-06, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a lot of detail in the tin, you have to see it in person to get the full picture.
Old 09-13-06, 04:04 PM

It's true. I thought the tin was going to be small and have just discs inside (without cases). When I saw it, I really loved it. Recommended you see before you decide to buy or not.
Old 09-13-06, 04:57 PM

I decided to order the tin a couple days ago online. Just in case I couldn't find it in the store. I didn't want to take any chances. I'm glad I did it when I did. I don't even see it on the website anymore.
Old 09-13-06, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I picked up the tin at Best Buy for $59--only about $10 more than the individual discs. (Then I used a Reward Zone coupon to bring that down to $54...) The tin is really slick looking, definitely a great display piece.
Old 09-13-06, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally Posted by Wick
That sounds like it's exactly where my copy has a dent. It was really worrying me, but I guess it's just some sort of production error or something.
Huh, that's kinda strange. When I saw them in the same spot, I thought the box they came in got bumped. I guess something is up with the way they handle the boxes at the factory.
Old 09-13-06, 07:14 PM
Cool New Member

Its already sold out..i even called up 5 bbuy store in my area(Maryland)..none stock left.

Last edited by Aldrinpsx; 09-13-06 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-13-06, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Stopped by Best Buy first to check out the tin. Was definitely impressed, but was still going for the lithographs. Walked down to Circuit City (just a few blocks away).

Was expecting something like the glossy V for Vendetta lithograph, and was a little dismayed by what I actually found. They were nice, no question, but they felt more like pieces of cardboard in my hands. In a word, they were meh. Besides, I didn't seem to see any good copies of A New Hope in widescreen.

Returned to Best Buy and happily picked up the tin. Serves great as a boxed set of the unaltered films.

--THX
Old 09-13-06, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Why can't BB have a 10/12% coupon going on now! That would make my decision much easier.
Considering how quickly these are selling out at many Best Buy stores, I think that the demand is going to be pretty steady for a while. I think that as word of mouth spreads and people see firsthand the quality of the O-OT discs, that demand may actual tail-up a bit within the coming weeks. Some of the reviews that I read online echo my reaction (in a favorable way).
Old 09-13-06, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Aldrinpsx
Its already sold out..i even called up 5 bbuy store in my area(Maryland)..none stock left.
Best buy in columbia (off snowden parkway) has a few left.
Best buy off Richie hwy had 19 left. 10 were on the front display and 11 in the back display. (girlfriend bought two of them there about a hour ago)
So if you go to any of these stores tomorrow morning you'll be in good shape
Old 09-13-06, 10:36 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by marcellusk
Best buy in columbia (off snowden parkway) has a few left.
Best buy off Richie hwy had 19 left. 10 were on the front display and 11 in the back display. (girlfriend bought two of them there about a hour ago)
So if you go to any of these stores tomorrow morning you'll be in good shape

Got 3 already yesterday from rockville pike.

http://img140.imageshack.us/my.php?i...97largeiu9.jpg
Old 09-13-06, 10:42 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
3, huh? Someone's going to have fun on ebay.
Old 09-14-06, 06:43 PM

DVD Profiler - Best Buy Exclusive Tin UPC

Has anyone had problems trying to add the new set to DVD Profiler using the UPC on the back of the Best Buy tin? It doesn't find it when I try it.
Old 09-14-06, 06:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Star Wars Guy
Has anyone had problems trying to add the new set to DVD Profiler using the UPC on the back of the Best Buy tin? It doesn't find it when I try it.
Look up Star Wars you will find the tin, it is definitely listed there, the UPC may be different but it's definitely listed..
Old 09-14-06, 06:59 PM

I see the individual movies listed, but I didn't see the tin.
Old 09-14-06, 08:21 PM

I wasn't going to get these, but decided to trade in some older junk from my collection. I got all three LEs for 9 used DVDs. I also got a big poster, just like the ones that were hanging in the store.
Old 09-15-06, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's a Lego Star Wars II poster in my store that I'm dying to get when we take it down
Old 09-17-06, 06:15 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

It doesn't seem like the Best Buy LE Tin was too popular here. My local Best Buy still has twelve of them in stock.
Old 09-17-06, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
It doesn't seem like the Best Buy LE Tin was too popular here. My local Best Buy still has twelve of them in stock.
Maybe the price has something to do with it. Are they still selling it for $90 Canadian?
Old 09-17-06, 06:28 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Maybe the price has something to do with it. Are they still selling it for $90 Canadian?
Yeah, it's $84.99.
Old 09-17-06, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts
Same here. At my closest BB just yesterday evening they had 15 right at the front and I didn't even check in the sci-fi section.
Old 09-17-06, 10:27 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Same here. At my closest BB just yesterday evening they had 15 right at the front and I didn't even check in the sci-fi section.
I only checked at the front as well. I didn't think to look anywhere else.
Old 09-18-06, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They were gone everywhere in Miami in about two days. A friend of mine wanted one, but he waited too long.
Old 09-18-06, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Abe.
They were gone everywhere in Miami in about two days. A friend of mine wanted one, but he waited too long.
I did see many on the shelves at the end of the week at the BB on Bird Road by the Palmetto Expressway. That was before Friday and the weekend, but check it out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.