Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars Original Trilogy DVDs - Exclusives

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Star Wars Original Trilogy DVDs - Exclusives

Old 08-23-06, 06:50 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 783
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Star Wars Original Trilogy DVDs - Exclusives

Just saw this posted over at theforce.net:

Walmart Exclusives

Best Buy (US)

Best Buy (Canada)

Target

Circuit City

As more stores start promoting their exclusives, I'll try to get them consolidated here.

Last edited by Star Wars Guy; 09-05-06 at 07:30 AM.
Old 08-23-06, 07:16 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: KY
Posts: 367
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Works fine for me.
Old 08-23-06, 07:32 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 16,729
Received 922 Likes on 698 Posts
Might be nice, if only....
Old 08-23-06, 07:56 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 1,003
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
... they would be Re-mastered and in Anamorphic Widescreen.
Old 08-23-06, 08:13 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 23,226
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blah, comics. I'm still picking up a few of these though, just not at Wal-Mart.
Old 08-23-06, 08:21 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 12,306
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i assume someone will get a box slipcover...or lenticular boxes....etc. etc.
Old 08-23-06, 09:20 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10,989
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
... or a lithograph.
Old 08-23-06, 12:57 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: World of Shit
Posts: 1,145
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dammit, I remember those comics when I was a kid, too. I had all three. Of course, they are gone, now. I'd love to be able to buy these original versions of the trilogy with these comic books if only....
Old 08-23-06, 01:12 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 16,729
Received 922 Likes on 698 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD King
So what's the problem with these new ones? Not anamorphic, no restoration?
Yeah actually, check out the big thread on the front page right now. They're using the old laserdisc masters for the unaltered versions.
Old 08-23-06, 02:29 PM
  #10  
Bye
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,085
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, STAR WARS Guy!

I'll definitely be buying all three of these, and I'll at least be buying ESB at WAL-MART.

Regarding the transfers, they're not anamorphic and we'd all love to have anamorphic transfers, but please, GET OVER YOURSELVES! You all act like they're taking a Definitive Collection boxed set they bought off eBay, playing it on a Pioneer LD player into an eMachines PC and burning copies onto DVD-R like everybody else! For the last time, the Laserdiscs themselves are NOT the source for the transfer!!! They are using the film transfer that the Laserdiscs were MADE FROM, so it's still gonna be far better than Laserdisc.

Yes, the major issue is that they're not anamorphic, and that is a shame. I just get tired of all the bellyaching about it. Your refusal to purchase the new DVDs will speak louder than any whining on this or any other website. However, you should know that it'll probably backfire. It's been said time and again that Lucas is only doing this to placate the diehard fans who want the original versions on DVD, so the fewer diehard fans who actually buy the new sets, the fewer he has to have pressed. He can keep on selling the 2004 DVD sets he already has and not have to worry about doing a second production run of the new ones. You see, everybody wins!

Now before anybody starts with the "Hey, you don't like us complaining about the DVDs, then don't read this thread!!!" crap, I want it made known that I have purposely avoided reading the main thread about these releases because I think everyone's spending way too much time and energy complaining about something they can't change. However, as someone who DOES plan to buy all three of the new DVDs (even though I already own the 2004 DVD set), I am anxious to read about any exclusives certain retailers may be offering.

In anticipation of the relentless flaming I'll get for suggesting that this falls short of requiring mobs of torch-carrying villagers to storm Skywalker Ranch, I'll close by saying that if you hate these things so much that you aren't planning on purchasing them, what the [email protected]#& are you doing reading a thread about what you'll get if you buy them???

Peace out.
Old 08-23-06, 02:44 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 16,729
Received 922 Likes on 698 Posts
Originally Posted by PDTV
Now before anybody starts with the "Hey, you don't like us complaining about the DVDs, then don't read this thread!!!" crap, I want it made known that I have purposely avoided reading the main thread about these releases because I think everyone's spending way too much time and energy complaining about something they can't change.
Here's where your argument loses points; we complained loud enough to get him to allow even these. If we take it up a few more decibels, we might get him to give these versions the respect they deserve.

Originally Posted by PDTV

However, as someone who DOES plan to buy all three of the new DVDs (even though I already own the 2004 DVD set), I am anxious to read about any exclusives certain retailers may be offering.

In anticipation of the relentless flaming I'll get for suggesting that this falls short of requiring mobs of torch-carrying villagers to storm Skywalker Ranch, I'll close by saying that if you hate these things so much that you aren't planning on purchasing them, what the [email protected]#& are you doing reading a thread about what you'll get if you buy them???

Peace out.
You know, I truly wanted these releases, I signed the petitions, I've sent the letters to Lucasfilm, when they were first announced, I was giddy as a schoolgirl. All the other little problems were washed away, because he was making it right. But it turns out he's not.

I would have loved to have picked up some kind of retailer exclusive. Hell, I'm so nutty for Star Wars, I would have picked up multiple copies from different retailers if the extras were good enough (I could have used the duplicates for gifts). I was curious as to what the extras could be, and my disappointment in the DVD quality couldn't help but spill over into this thread. For that I apologize, but I'm not certainly sorry for being disappointed.

Last edited by milo bloom; 08-23-06 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-23-06, 03:00 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 23,226
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread should be on any retailer exclusives for this set, can we keep the petty whining to the thread where it belongs?
Old 08-23-06, 03:51 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,737
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some store REALLY needs to make an exclusive box to hold all of the films.
Old 08-23-06, 04:14 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 16,729
Received 922 Likes on 698 Posts
Originally Posted by ReduxGuy
Some store REALLY needs to make an exclusive box to hold all of the films.
I could've sworn somebody from LFL once said something about a retailer doing a prequel box promotion. It wouldn't have been much, but it still would have been nice.
Old 08-23-06, 08:31 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Living Dead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The Graveyard
Posts: 3,205
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
This thread should be on any retailer exclusives for this set, can we keep the petty whining to the thread where it belongs?
I couldn't agree more.

As far as exclusives, I've never been interested in comics. I was hoping a few stores might have some bonus discs.
Old 08-24-06, 12:09 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere Far, Far Away...
Posts: 817
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in another year we will bet a HD version that will include both versions re done..
from Lucas its a good move.. make the people happy that have been complaining for a year...

& in another year make them happy again...

plus he gets more $$ every step....
Old 08-24-06, 12:26 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Joe Molotov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Posts: 8,507
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ds6161
in another year we will bet a HD version that will include both versions re done..
from Lucas its a good move.. make the people happy that have been complaining for a year...

& in another year make them happy again...

plus he gets more $$ every step....
I bet not. Maybe 10 years from now, but with the originals remastered into DTS with new sound effects and mixed up music channels and Han shoots second again or some BS.
Old 08-24-06, 04:32 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,917
Received 186 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by ds6161
in another year we will bet a HD version that will include both versions re done..
from Lucas its a good move.. make the people happy that have been complaining for a year...

& in another year make them happy again...

plus he gets more $$ every step....
I don't think we'll see HD for maybe 5 more years or so, but since next year is the 30th anniversary of Star Wars, I'm betting there will be a brand-new boxed set - quite possibly with anamoprhic transfers of the originals...although there's sure to be SOMETHING amiss about that potential set too...since Lucas loves to give fans a reason to purchase his NEXT release of the movies.
Old 08-24-06, 11:23 AM
  #19  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 198
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PDTV
Thanks, STAR WARS Guy!

I'll definitely be buying all three of these, and I'll at least be buying ESB at WAL-MART.

Regarding the transfers, they're not anamorphic and we'd all love to have anamorphic transfers, but please, GET OVER YOURSELVES! You all act like they're taking a Definitive Collection boxed set they bought off eBay, playing it on a Pioneer LD player into an eMachines PC and burning copies onto DVD-R like everybody else! For the last time, the Laserdiscs themselves are NOT the source for the transfer!!! They are using the film transfer that the Laserdiscs were MADE FROM, so it's still gonna be far better than Laserdisc.

Yes, the major issue is that they're not anamorphic, and that is a shame. I just get tired of all the bellyaching about it. Your refusal to purchase the new DVDs will speak louder than any whining on this or any other website. However, you should know that it'll probably backfire. It's been said time and again that Lucas is only doing this to placate the diehard fans who want the original versions on DVD, so the fewer diehard fans who actually buy the new sets, the fewer he has to have pressed. He can keep on selling the 2004 DVD sets he already has and not have to worry about doing a second production run of the new ones. You see, everybody wins!

Now before anybody starts with the "Hey, you don't like us complaining about the DVDs, then don't read this thread!!!" crap, I want it made known that I have purposely avoided reading the main thread about these releases because I think everyone's spending way too much time and energy complaining about something they can't change. However, as someone who DOES plan to buy all three of the new DVDs (even though I already own the 2004 DVD set), I am anxious to read about any exclusives certain retailers may be offering.

In anticipation of the relentless flaming I'll get for suggesting that this falls short of requiring mobs of torch-carrying villagers to storm Skywalker Ranch, I'll close by saying that if you hate these things so much that you aren't planning on purchasing them, what the [email protected]#& are you doing reading a thread about what you'll get if you buy them???

Peace out.
*Applause* You couldn't have said it better.
Old 08-24-06, 03:06 PM
  #20  
Bye
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,085
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by milo bloom
Here's where your argument loses points; we complained loud enough to get him to allow even these. If we take it up a few more decibels, we might get him to give these versions the respect they deserve.
Don't count on it. I'm not faulting anyone for whining in general, and I realize that it took a lot of whining for these to be released in the first place. However, I also realize that no amount of continued whining is going to get us anamorphic transfers of the films in their original form. I actually appreciate all the whining my fellow fanboys have done to get us the original films, because if I had to watch ESB and hear Luke say "You were lucky to get out of there" one more time, I was gonna let out a scream that would make his stupid dubbed-in scream from the Bespin scene sound like a whimper.

What you guys have to realize is that you WON! The original films, in their unaltered state*, are actually going to be released. In fact, *they even changed the opening crawl of SW to look like it did in theaters so it's all super-authentic. I didn't say anything when people were whining for the original versions of the films, because there was a valid point and a reasonable chance that something could be done to answer all the whining. However, in this particular case, Lucasfilm has given us all exactly what we wanted in the best form they have readily available, and they're not going to spend more time and money trying to offer something they never planned to bother with in exactly the form we were expecting. Bill Hunt has suggested that a theater print could be tracked down within 48 hours and they could use that for an anamorphic DVD set. What he fails to realize is that as soon as the anamorphic DVD set is released, the cheering is going to stop when people notice that it's from a print and not the original negatives.

My point is, bravo to all the fanboys for convincing George Lucas to release "your" films the way *HE* originally made them, but if you keep whining about technical details, you're only making yourselves look more pathetic and anal-retentive. Han shoots first, no CGI (except in ROTJ where it belongs), so now please kindly shut up.

Sorry for the rant here in the thread in which it does not belong, but I dare not visit that other thread. I think I'm done now, anyway.
Old 08-24-06, 03:17 PM
  #21  
Bye
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,085
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Living Dead
I've never been interested in comics. I was hoping a few stores might have some bonus discs.
That would be nice, but I don't see it happening. I actually have the genuine article of the ESB graphic novel so I wouldn't really need the reprint, but if I only have a choice of that or a lithograph or some postcards, I'll choose the comic.
Old 08-24-06, 03:23 PM
  #22  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 47
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll be buying them at Wal-Mart also. It will be my seventh time to purchase the trilogy in one format or another. 1st- When it was first released on VHS in fullscreen. 2nd- The THX enhanced/color corrected fullscreen VHS. 3rd- The SE VHS fullscreen. 4th- The SE VHS widescreen. 5th- SE fullscreen VideoCDs imported from Malaysia. 6th- The widescreen SE DVD set. Whew!!! This is the LAST time I'm going to buy it! Well... unless it comes out in another format... or an edition with really cool special features... or it comes in a case that looks like Yoda's head...
Old 08-24-06, 05:28 PM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 381
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Thames
I'll be buying them at Wal-Mart also. It will be my seventh time to purchase the trilogy in one format or another. 1st- When it was first released on VHS in fullscreen. 2nd- The THX enhanced/color corrected fullscreen VHS. 3rd- The SE VHS fullscreen. 4th- The SE VHS widescreen. 5th- SE fullscreen VideoCDs imported from Malaysia. 6th- The widescreen SE DVD set. Whew!!! This is the LAST time I'm going to buy it! Well... unless it comes out in another format... or an edition with really cool special features... or it comes in a case that looks like Yoda's head...
Last time eh? What about the 30th Anniversary Saga boxed set for next year that's basically been confirmed. Which will replace the crappy puppet Yoda from E1 with a brand spanking new CGI model.

From The Digital Bits today:
Also today... a follow-up on something we've been telling you to expect for quite while now. 2007, as you may well be aware, is the 30th anniversary of the original Star Wars' debut in theaters. You'd have to be stupid not to know that Lucasfilm is going to have big DVD release plans with which to celebrate the anniversary, and we've been telling you that was the case for many months now. Indeed, during our last visit to the Ranch for the DVD release of Episode III, producer Rick McCallum confirmed that a box set of all six films was going to happen eventually, and animation director Rob Coleman even let it slip that the puppet Yoda from Episode I had already been replaced with a new CG Yoda to match Episodes II & III for the "future" release. T-Bone over at Star Wars Universe recently speculated about this box set, and we've been quietly checking in with our industry sources on it as well. Well, we've confirmed it: There IS a big, ultimate, 6-film Star Wars anniversary DVD box set planned for 2007. There will be more changes to the films, and there will be LOTS of new, never-before-seen special features - all the good stuff that was held back by Lucasfilm from the original Trilogy DVD release a few years ago. Think deleted scenes and more. We don't know if good, genuinely-REMASTERED versions of the original theatrical editions of the films will be included or not (though how you could call the set "ultimate" without them, we don't know). We don't expect high-definition versions yet, as those formats are just too new. We don't have ANY other details for you yet, so please don't ask. But as you consider whether or not to purchase the "limited edition" DVDs due on 9/12... we thought you should know that more IS absolutely on the way next year. 'Nuff said for now.
Old 08-24-06, 06:55 PM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 251
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PDTV
Don't count on it. I'm not faulting anyone for whining in general, and I realize that it took a lot of whining for these to be released in the first place. However, I also realize that no amount of continued whining is going to get us anamorphic transfers of the films in their original form. I actually appreciate all the whining my fellow fanboys have done to get us the original films, because if I had to watch ESB and hear Luke say "You were lucky to get out of there" one more time, I was gonna let out a scream that would make his stupid dubbed-in scream from the Bespin scene sound like a whimper.

What you guys have to realize is that you WON! The original films, in their unaltered state*, are actually going to be released. In fact, *they even changed the opening crawl of SW to look like it did in theaters so it's all super-authentic. I didn't say anything when people were whining for the original versions of the films, because there was a valid point and a reasonable chance that something could be done to answer all the whining. However, in this particular case, Lucasfilm has given us all exactly what we wanted in the best form they have readily available, and they're not going to spend more time and money trying to offer something they never planned to bother with in exactly the form we were expecting. Bill Hunt has suggested that a theater print could be tracked down within 48 hours and they could use that for an anamorphic DVD set. What he fails to realize is that as soon as the anamorphic DVD set is released, the cheering is going to stop when people notice that it's from a print and not the original negatives.

My point is, bravo to all the fanboys for convincing George Lucas to release "your" films the way *HE* originally made them, but if you keep whining about technical details, you're only making yourselves look more pathetic and anal-retentive. Han shoots first, no CGI (except in ROTJ where it belongs), so now please kindly shut up.

Sorry for the rant here in the thread in which it does not belong, but I dare not visit that other thread. I think I'm done now, anyway.
Well said! My thoughts exactly! I consider myself a HUGE SW fan and have cursed GL since the day he decided to screw with these movies (and cursed him even more after sitting through the HORRIBLE Prequels). Once these are released, I'm done! I'll buy them the day they come out and I'll be happy with them! I even posted the same thing quite a while ago on originaltrilogy.com.

I understand everyone's disappointment that it's not anamorphic, but this is it! This is the one people have been yelling for!! Through all of the years of crying for an 'Original' Original Trilogy set, we are finally getting it! I honestly don't believe that the majority of the people stating that they WON'T buy this are being totally honest with themselves (or with us). Die-hard Star Wars fans WILL buy this (the fan boy within us almost demands that we buy it). To those that don't buy them, all I can say is: ENJOY YOUR SPECIAL EDITION DVD'S or your INFERIOR bootlegs!

I'll buy them, and if we are EVER lucky enough to get an even better quality version of these (Anamorphic or HD) then I'll buy them too!

Do I think GL is an @ $ $ ? YES! I wish I could say I'll never give him another penny, but the fact is I want these movies!!

-Rick
Old 08-24-06, 07:00 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: The Hood
Posts: 364
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD King
So what's the problem with these new ones? Not anamorphic, no restoration?
I hope everyone buys this set. Yeah Yeah..I know, not anamorphic but if we dont buy them we will never see this set in HD and he will get the privledge of of saying "I told ya so, nobody wants the unfinished product". But if these set record sales he will release this again.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.