Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Hills Have Eyes Rated and Unrated DVD June 20th

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-06, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Zodiac_Speaking
Solid 5.1 though, I always enjoyed the score in this.
Spoiler:
They made really good use of it during the gas station and trailer scenes.
Old 06-22-06, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Zodiac_Speaking
I was kinda dissapointed with the unrated as well. Don't get me wrong, this is still an intense ride, but when you slap "unrated" to a Aja film, I expect more than a second here and there.

Spoiler:

You see the gas station attendents head blown off onscreen as compared to the quick cut away in the R version when he pulls the trigger. The aftermath view lingers for a few seconds longer and is much more clear than excessively dark in the R version.

30 seconds was added the trailer attack scene: more Brenda being attacked, Lynns death is actually onscreen this time,you see the impact as the gun is fired and bullet strikes her head causing blood to go splattering onto the wall. While in the R version there is an abrupt cut where you hear a gun shot,then see her fall dead on the floor and the wall is now covered in blood.

6 seconds of blood flying goodness was added to Doug wuping Cysts(brace head) ass. You see blood spraying out of him as he's repeatedly smacked with the pickax,then you see the ax go into his eye as the camera zooms in on it.

Some upclose blood gushing when Pluto was stabbed with the baseball bat.

And that's just a few of the noticeable addtions to the film.

The R version was still violent,but even I could tell where some of the cuts in the aformentioned sequences were.
Old 06-22-06, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, Julie the trailer sequence was longer and I think maybe added some disturbing elements, but outside of that if it wasn't for davisdvd, I wouldn't have noticed any of the others.

Maybe I am more mad at the MPAA. what's really the deal with seconds here and seconds there?? Can we just axe the MPAA?

Oh well. Still the unrated version didn't change the overall film, but more gore is okay.
Old 06-22-06, 04:05 PM

I enjoyed the unrated DVD a lot. It kicked the movie up a notch and made everything more intense without changing the movie, which I was glad about because I liked the movie as it was. The ending was stronger here too. Good movie.

The sound was great on this DVD. I am glad my neighbors aren't too close, as I totally would have bothered them with it.
Old 06-23-06, 11:38 PM
Banned

What happen to DVDSTALK forum?
Old 06-24-06, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
Originally Posted by jake_spade
What happen to DVDSTALK forum?
It was moved to Movie Talk.
Old 06-24-06, 03:58 AM

Maybe I am more mad at the MPAA. what's really the deal with seconds here and seconds there?? Can we just axe the MPAA?
We don't really need to get rid of it, but we should probably use it more as a 'suggestion' like in other regions, versus how it is 'law' in the US. Also movie studios need to stop being scared of it.
Old 06-25-06, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by critterdvd
We don't really need to get rid of it, but we should probably use it more as a 'suggestion' like in other regions, versus how it is 'law' in the US. Also movie studios need to stop being scared of it.
Personally I think they should just expand the R rating to be inclusive of everything they would put in the NC-17 category. R is for adults, it shouldn't be limited.

At least, that's my view on it.
Old 06-25-06, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Yeah but the USA is more uptight than other countries over things. Other countries can handle violence and nudity on television better than the USA can. The United States has always been in the habit of complaining when something pisses somebody off, and then a group bands together and makes some changes. You can't make anybody happy over here so the MPAA has to walk that fine line to try and keep everybody as happy as possible, so although it's a humongous pain in the ass over here... I can certainly see why what the MPAA says is 'law'. I don't agree with it, as I don't think you really build any character for any generation by catering to all their whiny bitchy complaints... but again, I can say I see where the idea comes from.
Old 06-25-06, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, there does need to be some sort of dividing line as far as kids go. I was shocked to see parents bringing little kids into screenings of The Hills Have Eyes. This movie is not for little kids. If R and NC-17 were the same, would parents be able to bring their kids into NC-17 films? I hope not.
Old 06-25-06, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Eh, that's the thing with NC-17 being 'no children allowed'. But hey, if a parent is really stupid enough to drag their kids into a horror movie or a movie like Showgirls when they're young as hell... that's the fault of the parent. But of course we live in a world where parents have absolutely shit to do with responsibility. Parents do what they do, and if they did it well, fine. If they didn't, then they accept no responsibility for what they've done. All of a sudden it's 'oh the music' or 'oh the movies' and blah blah blah. It's sad we have the R rating there for adults, but little kids can still be taken in if they're with mommy and daddy. I had seen kids in Final Destination 3... what the hell? That's pale in comparison to The Hills Have Eyes, but still... some of the scenes in FD3 are enough for any kid. Why do we have to feel that we need to place limitations so that parents won't use proper judgement? Can't they figure something so simple out for themselves?
Old 06-26-06, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 359 Likes on 233 Posts
yea i agree.

Last edited by tasha99; 06-26-06 at 01:51 AM.
Old 06-26-06, 02:55 PM

Kind of off topic question, but does anyone know how to get rid of the air bubble inside the blood pack of the BB exclusive? I kind of have an OCD about it, and it just bothers me in the slightest way. If there is no way, I guess I can live with it, still a very nice exclusive!