Hills Have Eyes Rated and Unrated DVD June 20th

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Hills Have Eyes Rated and Unrated DVD June 20th

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-06, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need some advice. For an old retiree (getting on in years), will the Unrated version possibly give me a heart attack? No movie is worth your life. How damn intense is this movie? LOL.
Old 06-19-06, 12:32 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Yeah...Kinda wondering what this BB Exclusive cover is.The CC ad looks just like it.
Old 06-19-06, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by oldchuckles
I need some advice. For an old retiree (getting on in years), will the Unrated version possibly give me a heart attack? No movie is worth your life. How damn intense is this movie? LOL.
Do you like horror films? have you watched them all your life? do you mind getting scared/disturbed...or do you scare/disturb easily?

If you're like my mom who doesn't watch that many movies,let alone hororr films on a regular basis. You'd have a heart attack once you see this film. Since it is very intense and builds up unrelenting dread throughout the first half until it explodes in one extremely controversial set piece that pisses alot of people off,and sends them running for the exit.

When I saw this in theaters in cut form mind you,people were on the edge of their seats and jumping at some moments before the main controversial scene. And when that scene struck,there was a shockwave of disbelief and all out horror as people were cowering in fear,squirming and covering their eyes as the film went 'too far'.

If you can make it past the 'scene',you may be ok,since it all leads to a brutal retribibution final half of the film. Which is still intense and brutal,but slightly less so than the 'scene'.

Oh and I will say even I was on edge and freaked out durring the 'scene',but I'm brave enough to stick a movie out. And it's a horror film,that did it's job by turning my stomach in knots with intense dread and disturbing atmosphere.

But this may hype it up too much for you,so try to go in with no expectations and let the film work you over...if it succeeds and you're in the right mood when viewing it that is. And make sure you're hearts healthy just to be safe. Since if you heart 'jumps' suddenly from intense shock/surprise at any given moment in the film,then that's not good,hehe.

Since if you go in with expecations of hoping for the scariests mosk shocking intense disturbing horror film experiance ever. You're going to be let down in the extreme to say the least. Just ask those people who were pissed off about Hostel after looking 'so cool and freaky intense' in the trailers.

Last edited by Julie Walker; 06-19-06 at 01:15 AM.
Old 06-19-06, 01:18 AM

Thanks for the warning. Just reading your "vivid" comments had my stomach in knots! I am already a little "shaky" and on medication, and a little squeamish. I guess it's best to stick with the old movie, "The Omen" which was tamer!
Old 06-19-06, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by gerrythedon
Thanks for the link. I've been curious about what was cut out.

1 more day!
Old 06-19-06, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by oldchuckles
Thanks for the warning. Just reading your "vivid" comments had my stomach in knots! I am already a little "shaky" and on medication, and a little squeamish. I guess it's best to stick with the old movie, "The Omen" which was tamer!
When it comes to horror movies it always pays to trust in Julie Walker, perhaps one of the two most reliable authorities here at DVDTalk
Old 06-19-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Saw the unrated version this weekend and the film is a little more graphic but nothing major. I expected alot more than that but still loved the film. Definitely picking it up tomorrow at CC or BB.
Old 06-19-06, 01:23 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I just took a look at the Best Buy flyer we got today, and it says that they will be offering the Nightwatch/Hills Have Eyes deal here as well. The difference is that, if you buy both in Canada, you only get $5 back instead of $10...which is bullshit, but ah well.
Old 06-19-06, 02:55 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts
so the 'exclusive' cover from BB is a little more than just "jo"...DavisDVD is reporting that the cover is similar to the new "Saw" UR with the blood pack cover in a jewel case. seems pretty nice to me.
DavisDVD
Old 06-19-06, 03:47 PM
Suspended

I wonder if they will still pricematch CC's $10 off this and omen 2 disc?
Old 06-19-06, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by tacos
I wonder if they will still pricematch CC's $10 off this and omen 2 disc?
wait...would they?
Old 06-19-06, 04:16 PM

The exclusive cover art at BB will be, according to DavisDVD, similar to the Uncut Edition of Saw - there'll be blood goo floating around inside the front cover.
Old 06-19-06, 04:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
Do you like horror films? have you watched them all your life? do you mind getting scared/disturbed...or do you scare/disturb easily?

If you're like my mom who doesn't watch that many movies,let alone hororr films on a regular basis. You'd have a heart attack once you see this film. Since it is very intense and builds up unrelenting dread throughout the first half until it explodes in one extremely controversial set piece that pisses alot of people off,and sends them running for the exit.

When I saw this in theaters in cut form mind you,people were on the edge of their seats and jumping at some moments before the main controversial scene. And when that scene struck,there was a shockwave of disbelief and all out horror as people were cowering in fear,squirming and covering their eyes as the film went 'too far'.

If you can make it past the 'scene',you may be ok,since it all leads to a brutal retribibution final half of the film. Which is still intense and brutal,but slightly less so than the 'scene'.

Oh and I will say even I was on edge and freaked out durring the 'scene',but I'm brave enough to stick a movie out. And it's a horror film,that did it's job by turning my stomach in knots with intense dread and disturbing atmosphere.

But this may hype it up too much for you,so try to go in with no expectations and let the film work you over...if it succeeds and you're in the right mood when viewing it that is. And make sure you're hearts healthy just to be safe. Since if you heart 'jumps' suddenly from intense shock/surprise at any given moment in the film,then that's not good,hehe.

Since if you go in with expecations of hoping for the scariests mosk shocking intense disturbing horror film experiance ever. You're going to be let down in the extreme to say the least. Just ask those people who were pissed off about Hostel after looking 'so cool and freaky intense' in the trailers.

So where do you stand when it comes to
Spoiler:
teenage rape, and that of a lactating mother?

What's more important here. A strong stomach or strong morals?
Old 06-19-06, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by robsul82
The exclusive cover art at BB will be, according to DavisDVD, similar to the Uncut Edition of Saw - there'll be blood goo floating around inside the front cover.
is this a joke post? did you read 2 posts above...
Old 06-19-06, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

BB it is for me then... was gonna get the Omen but may just wait and let someone else by it for me for bday or xmas.
Old 06-19-06, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Cinemaddiction
So where do you stand when it comes to
Spoiler:
teenage rape, and that of a lactating mother?

What's more important here. A strong stomach or strong morals?
For one it's a movie and all fake in this case. And it's a horror film,a grim horror film at that. So in that case,anything goes pretty much.

So as long as the film is well made and offers a little more than just shock value(ie-it takes talent to build up dread,then unleash some shock value). I'm pretty fair game when it comes to subject matter in films dealing with dark material(I loved the subplot in Running Scared which offended many people,yet it was handled quite tastefully and was very creepy and intense).

Though yes even I was 'turned off' by that sequence in Hills since I was surprised to be confronted with that subject matter and see the film go where it did. But I respect the director for having the guts to go through with it instead of coping out and making things all safe and tidy. Since I actually felt sorry for the charecters in this sequence,which is the point. But had it been far less 'offensive',it would be less powerful and the same as all other studio pictures. And because the director did what he did,that got me on edge of knowing anything can happen to anyone at any time and it's not pretty. This further makes you root against the bad guys and hope they get what is coming to them,which the finale of the film delivers big time.

This is also why I would criticize and am against 'films' like Guini Pig,August Underground,Murder Set Pieces among many others. Which offer nothing but shock value and nothing else,made with no real style or anything. So you sit there watching amatures toss as much 'shocking' 'offensive' subject matter onscreen and it's royally offensive because of how pointless and shitty the 'film' is.

I'm not a fan of John Waters Pink Flamingos either and found it boring instead of hilarious and shockingly funny. Since there was nothing going on but amatures overacting for the camera trying to be as 'shocking' as possible and it just doesn't work as a feature length film.

Meanwhile I love Waters 'Polyester' which has a plot and good pacing/directing/editing going on,delivering maximum entertainment laugh value with its quirky nature. Something that is missing from Flamingos and other desperate attempts at pointless 'shock' underground films.

So as you can see just because something is 'offensive' or 'shocking' does not mean I will automatically like it. There has to be some skill behind the camera to make me 'enjoy' viewing the film. Otherwise the films just boring to sit through and that is the worst thing any film can achieve in my opinion!

Last edited by Julie Walker; 06-19-06 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-19-06, 06:38 PM

so would BB price match CC with the $10 off? even though they have the Omen listed at $19.99 which sucks or can you also pm the $17.99?

Last edited by OldBoy; 06-19-06 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-20-06, 03:04 AM

$13.99 at Eagan, Wal-Mart. I'm not sure if the prices are the same at all WMs,but this is the best deal I could find.

I was tempted to get the R version as well,since the packaging of both versions is excellent and really markets the grindhouse nastiness of the film.
Old 06-20-06, 10:52 AM

anyone get the BB exclusive?

the 'Blood Pak' and what do you think of it? worth it there above other places?
Old 06-20-06, 11:25 AM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Rabid fan of the original. Couldn't wait to see the remake upon learning my High Tension heros were behind the wheel. Left the theater disillusioned.

I loved that they created a backstory for the Hills folk.

Yet I think we just spent too much time with it. The credit sequence was plenty. Hints here and there. (Such as the cars in the bomb crater, newspaper clippings.) But they lost me having Mr. Cellphone run around (for what seemed an eternity) busting caps throughout Nukesville.

The last reel in general is goldang confusing. Jumping between the teen kiddos and Mr. Cellphone. Just how many mutants ARE THERE? How many of whom does the family go all insta-Chuck Bronson on? And just how many mutants pop back up like Jason Voorhees? Guess 40 years of A-bomb Wheaties does a body good.

Sounds as though the Unrated cut clarifies that last bit, but I'm having trouble mustering enough interest to sit through the sucker again. I just know I'll fixate on those oh-so fluid crane and dolly shots IN THE GOLDANG DESERT OCCUPIED BY INBRED HOMICIDAL MANIAC MUTANTS.

See. My blood pressure shot up. Y'all enjoy anyway.
Old 06-20-06, 12:25 PM

I was also wondering if anyone got the blood pack from best buy and if it's worth it.
Old 06-20-06, 12:33 PM

I just got back from buying it with Night Watch at BB and the blood pack is really just that. It's a blood pak attached to the top of the cardboard slip cover. It's pretty cool, but it's not something I'd lose any sleep over not getting. Also, the damn BB price sticker left a residue on it when I peeled it off. So, I have to get me some goo be gone now. LOL.
Old 06-20-06, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tenacious D
Also, the damn BB price sticker left a residue on it when I peeled it off. So, I have to get me some goo be gone now. LOL.
yeah, that happened to me as well. i tried to peel off from others, but none were budging. i got off the top layer and the residue remained. my most tried and true method is to use the security sticker and dot the residue with it. it should come off after many dots and a few minutes and i think better than goo gone bc goo gone can sometimes ruin the surface. it doesn't work with all kinds of surfaces and if you pick the wrong one it will be ruined.
Old 06-20-06, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
yeah, that happened to me as well. i tried to peel off from others, but none were budging. i got off the top layer and the residue remained. my most tried and true method is to use the security sticker and dot the residue with it. it should come off after many dots and a few minutes and i think better than goo gone bc goo gone can sometimes ruin the surface. it doesn't work with all kinds of surfaces and if you pick the wrong one it will be ruined.
Yeah, I hear you about the goo gone. I tried the security sticker method because that's usually what I do too, but the residue on mine wasn't budging.
Old 06-20-06, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tenacious D
Yeah, I hear you about the goo gone. I tried the security sticker method because that's usually what I do too, but the residue on mine wasn't budging.
keep at it. once you get a little piece up, the rest seems to follow. i think it is the residue that needs to be on the sticker to pull it all up. sounds weird perhaps, but i think it is the 'like particles' rule (attract).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.