Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Mel Brooks Collection Inc. RHMIT 4/4

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-06, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
This is all great news. Definitely new anamorphic transfers of the Fox films. Sucks about Blazing Saddles, but I kept my new Warner version just in case. I'll swap that out when I get the box set and sell the old version.

Still well worth the money considering how long I waited for the missing films.
Old 03-29-06, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You know this is crazy...There shouldnt be this much confusion any more with fucking dvd releases.
Old 03-29-06, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, this set is truly lame, and I'm not getting it, especially at such a high list price. Holding out for these titles individually, so I might finally get some of these about 4 years after they were transferred. Fox seems content to follow in Universal's dumbass footprints.
Old 03-29-06, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Sorry but I can't agree with the high price complaints. I think it's stupid how they handled Blazing Saddles, but even if you don't count that, you're getting 7 films for what will be about $65-$70. That's no more than $10 per disc. There's no way these movies would be less than $10 each initially were they released separately.

I know some of you only want some of the films in the box, so in that case I could see price being an issue.

For me, every film except Blazing Saddles is something I would have bought separately.

Anamorphic upgrades of Young Frankenstein and History of The World are no brainers, loved High Anxiety, and have never seen Twelve Chairs, Silent Movie, To Be Or Not To Be, and don't remember much of Robin Hood: Men In Tights, so I'm looking forward to all of these.
Old 03-29-06, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since these movies are each housed in slimpacks within the boxset, swapping the Blazing Saddles 30th Anniversary for the older version (loaned from WB) won't work. This is a minor quibble and not a deal breaker to me.

"goodbye head, hello balls"
Old 03-29-06, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tofferman
Since these movies are each housed in slimpacks within the boxset, swapping the Blazing Saddles 30th Anniversary for the older version (loaned from WB) won't work. This is a minor quibble and not a deal breaker to me.

"goodbye head, hello balls"
You could just swap the disc, but I will just put the 30th anniversary next to this box set and keep them all. I already paid for the whole set and then some by selling my Image copy of Twelve Chairs so its a non issue for me.
Old 03-29-06, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
makes sense that warner would dump off all the old disc to fox for the set. Gets rid of them quicker than the dump bin at wal mart
Old 03-29-06, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
But are they all anamorphic? Between the two threads I'm more confused than before!
Old 03-29-06, 09:01 PM

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Why do they have to be in slim cases? I know alot of people like these, but I can't stand them. They don't flow with the rest of my collection. I guess I have no choice but to hold out until they are released seperately so that I can get regular cases.
Old 03-30-06, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom
But are they all anamorphic? Between the two threads I'm more confused than before!
Yes, that part has been cleared up. Its just the old version of Blazing Saddles, but even that one was anamorphic.

I personally like the fact they are using slim cases. Saves me precious shelf space.
Old 03-30-06, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What's different about the two releases on BS? I heard something about the difference in transfer? What about special features?

I'm still gonna snag this next week, I just need to decide if I need to snag the serperate newer BS release or not.
Old 03-30-06, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As long as they're all 16x9 I'm cool, and I love the slim cases too. My collection is over 500 titles, and I need all the space saving I can get.
Old 03-30-06, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As long as they are all anamorphic, then Im good...Looks like I will be getting this next week as I already have the newer BS release.
Old 03-30-06, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had hoped to display these separately, but since they're slimcases I'll just keep them in the box.

Not a fan of slim cases for non-TV sets. Half the fun of having a collection is seeing the different spines on the shelf. Slim cases take that away.
Old 03-30-06, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I had hoped to display these separately, but since they're slimcases I'll just keep them in the box.

Not a fan of slim cases for non-TV sets. Half the fun of having a collection is seeing the different spines on the shelf. Slim cases take that away.
Maybe so, but I'd also argue that having a fairly classy boxart like in post#49, you could turn your box so that faces out and that would look good on a shelf too.

I used to do that pretty regularly with my different boxsets, turning different ones around every few weeks to keep the look of my shelves fresh, but I'm running out of space to do that these days.
Old 03-31-06, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Sorry to report this, but Young Frankenstein is not anamorphic, despite what the packaging says.

I'm working on my review, which I hope to finish up before Tuesday (eight movies is a helluva review!).
Old 03-31-06, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FrancisRizzo3
Sorry to report this, but Young Frankenstein is not anamorphic, despite what the packaging says.

I'm working on my review, which I hope to finish up before Tuesday (eight movies is a helluva review!).
This is really strange. Some people are getting the anamorphic Young Frankenstein and some are not. Looks like I may cancel my Amazon order and buy this at Best Buy so I can exchange it until I get the anamorphic version.
Old 03-31-06, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn...This is really pissing me off. Now I dont know if I want to go through the hastle of buying this at all. Why cant they just get it right?
Old 03-31-06, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll have the set in my hands in a few hours and i'll be sure to report what i find. the HTF said that the YF in one of their sets had a 2006 TCFHE stamp on the disk, FrancisRizzo3 did your's have a stamp?
Old 03-31-06, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anamorphic Young Frankenstein does exist. I have one in hand.

Also check the HTF thread linked earlier in this thread. Ron Epstein got one too, and he posted screenshots to prove it. It's a totally different disc than the '98 release. It fully fills my PowerDVD window as well, a sure sign it is an anamorphic release. Also it has different disc art and a 2006 stamp on it.

Colin from DVDMG also got a non-anamorphic copy in his set, so it sounds Fox made a mistake and corrected it early on, but early copies have this issue.

Now unfortunately there appears to be no way of knowing if the set contains an old or new YF unless it is opened. Maybe retailers will let some of you open the set in store to verify the correct disc.

Good luck to everyone. Such a shame a great release like this has to be marred.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 03-31-06 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-31-06, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmmm...Did Fox also dump some of their older copies of YF upon this set? Even though they discontinued the previous release, is it possible that some of the production run for this boxset received these copies?

If so, that would be a new "low" (and a step back for Fox in my eyes) as far as I'm concerned.

What a shame if everybody who purchases this may have to check the VOB files on the disk to see if they received anamorphic or not. The average consumer would probably never know unless they are aware of this thread (and other threads like at HTF).

Perhaps those who preordered early get screwed this time around...Lets hope not.
Old 03-31-06, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

My copy is a new pressing, but does not say 2006. It is completely different than the original DVD though, as this does not have disc art.
Old 03-31-06, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FrancisRizzo3
My copy is a new pressing, but does not say 2006. It is completely different than the original DVD though, as this does not have disc art.
OK that's weird-it's not the original disc, but it's not anamorphic either? Does the disc have any printing on it?

Sounds like someone fell asleep at the wheel at Fox.
Old 03-31-06, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

It is a plain silver disc, with the Young Frankenstein logo, the Fox Home Entertainment logo and the DVD logo.

Odd, huh?
Old 03-31-06, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i just got my box set and the YF has artwork that looks like the cover. It's not silver and it has the 2006 TCFHE stamp on it. I haven't had a chance to run it yet, but so far so good.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.